Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
http://ytchannelembed.com/videos/watch/n4unEJSWaUI#.VH8M2zGG-Sr

more dope commentary on ukraine and what is next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

OddObserver posted:

They did get a shipment of coal from S. Africa, apparently at very good price, too --- well, at least it was cheaper than domestic coal from the currently occupied areas --- (which is partly because the latter is "pay people to work" subsidy with oligarchs skimming a huge portion off top). Unfortunately there was some political insanity involved for unclear reasons, so I am not sure if it will continue.

There has been some shift over to American-made nuclear fuel, at least. Gas of course is hopeless, even if they do build that LNG terminal in Odessa at some point.

On the bright side, Ukraine is one of the few countries on target to meeting their Kyoto Protocol goals!

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Flaky posted:

http://ytchannelembed.com/videos/watch/n4unEJSWaUI#.VH8M2zGG-Sr

more dope commentary on ukraine and what is next

Why are they using a bluescreen? It looks really skeevy.

Edit: nevermind, when he sits down for the Q&A things look real, maybe it was just the blue lighting and the close up lens.

Mc Do Well fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 3, 2014

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

OddObserver posted:

This actually happened yesterday, FWIW, at least ~20 hours ago, so it's probably nothing too serious since the Western press would be all over it if it were.

Following up on this, it looks like the issue was actually a transformer fault. They cold shutdown the reactor for the time being but it should be back up by the weekend, apparently. Pretty minor problem, all considered.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cuntpunch posted:

Following up on this, it looks like the issue was actually a transformer fault. They cold shutdown the reactor for the time being but it should be back up by the weekend, apparently. Pretty minor problem, all considered.

System functioned as advertised. Nothing to see.

This happened recently at Sequoyah nuclear plant as well, the system detected a sensor error and shutdown the reactor. People freaked out, but in reality the emergency system functioned as expected.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

I don't know that I've seen it discussed even in passing, but I'd assume that Chernobyl acts, oddly enough, as a giant sovereignty protection for Ukraine. It's still a catastrophic site to deal with, and is still costing money for ongoing work on the new containment structure and ecological concerns - I can't imagine any country wanting to assume that burden.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Russia would just let it decay. Because Russia is a pathetic shithole state.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

latvian_politics.jpg

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

"The birth rate is falling. It must be due to a lack of heterosexual intercourse" thinks person in the 21st century, somehow.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Best Friends posted:

"The birth rate is falling. It must be due to a lack of heterosexual intercourse" thinks person in the 21st century, somehow.
Well, easy mathematics.

Take 4 guys, 4 girls.
If 2 guys are homosexuals, 2 girls have nobody to give birth from. 50% birth rate.

:negative:

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

If there is one thing younger generations are known for it's that they don't have enough sex.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

kalstrams posted:

Well, easy mathematics.

Take 4 guys, 4 girls.
If 2 guys are homosexuals, 2 girls have nobody to give birth from. 50% birth rate.

:negative:

They do know there's such modern reproductive concepts such as surrogates and in-vitro fertilization that allow gays and lesbians to procreate?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Young Freud posted:

They do know there's such modern reproductive concepts such as surrogates and in-vitro fertilization that allow gays and lesbians to procreate?
I'm not sure if she knows anything after such enlightening tweets. As well as that, I think that modern reproductive concepts are not too common in Latvia, to say the least.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Clearly Inga should make up the difference by having more children herself.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Young Freud posted:

If it's not done in the back of a Volvo, it didn't count.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Cuntpunch posted:

I don't know that I've seen it discussed even in passing, but I'd assume that Chernobyl acts, oddly enough, as a giant sovereignty protection for Ukraine. It's still a catastrophic site to deal with, and is still costing money for ongoing work on the new containment structure and ecological concerns - I can't imagine any country wanting to assume that burden.

Huh. The cost of maintaining Chernobyl is miniscule compared to eg. the cost of transforming Crimea into a Russian governorate (infrastructure, subsidies, defense, final solution to the Tatar problem etc.), which again is peanuts compared to the total cost of invading and occupying a country as big as Ukraine (which would also bring in some tax revenue, and whatever else you can steal).

And if Ukraine was occupied then I think that the international community would still chip in for ecological and humanitarian reasons. The Buddhas of Bamiyan come to mind - Taliban ended up blowing up the statues despite UNESCO footing the bill for maintaining them and Indian government even offering to purchase them and have them moved to India.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

alex314 posted:

We're talking about long term government level contracts here, not free market pricing. In theory they could buy CNG on free market, but that would require infrastructure to transfer and store it. They'd also have to pay a lot above market since there's this nagging risk of "unknown attackers" blowing up a tanker. Or they'd have to pay huge logistical costs to have tanker unloaded in one of few ports capable of such operations and using railroads from as far as Germany or Italy to ship it. Russia is the biggest supplier of CNG too, so good luck finding enough of free CNG for your needs..

Ukraine could try with coal, but I'm not sure how much of energy and heat needs they can fulfil with their present infrastructure.
Of course assuming they can get coal from somewhere (Germany, Czech Republic, Poland, Australia - one of those is really stupid cost-wise).

There was mention of nuclear sector in Ukraine:

Ukraine is VERY reliant on Russian materials and to some extend on personnel for their nuclear industry.

Some semblance of Ukrainian energy independence from their aggressive neighbour will take either decades or metric poo poo-ton of resources.. They are hosed for another decade.

Ukraine has been receiving gas in part from Poland, Hungary and Slovakia would have reversed the flows of their lines, it most likely isn't a permanent measure though. One issue with Ukraine is that their district heating is a fairly rigid Soviet era system that is designed to function in only one way, it can be improved but only at high capital cost. Basically they need gas and a lot of it to function, but it looks like the EU will at least in part provide it.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

A Pale Horse posted:

Poland has a lot of delicious brown coal, I'm sure we could part with some for a fair price. If they try building an LNG terminal in Odessa I could easily see it becoming an integral part of Novorossiya all of a sudden.

You don't just flip a switch - switching to something like coal would easily be a decade long undertaking or more. As far as I can tell they don't even have a coal power plant.

It's also why arguments about the % of dependence can be misleading- even if you only rely on Russia for even just 10% of __thing__ it can be incredibly difficult to replace just that small % because there's enormous amounts of infrastructure involved, inertia, contractual agreements, and so on.

tsa fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 3, 2014

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

chitoryu12 posted:

If it's not done in the back of a vulva, it didn't count.

Fixed.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30318898

Oh that John.

TeodorMorozov
May 27, 2013

A Pale Horse posted:

Poland has a lot of delicious brown coal, I'm sure we could part with some for a fair price.

This stage in past. :commissar: Poles just don't understand features of Ukrainian business.

http://www.vremia.ua/news/2507.php

The folk proverb: "When hohol was born, Jew wept", has a reason ;)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

John McCain has called Viktor Orban a 'neo-fascist dictator' in a senate hearing on Obama's ambassador candidate (she contributed $800k to Obama's campaign)

quote:

"I am not against political appointees," the senator said. "I understand how the game is played, but here we are, a nation on the verge of ceding its sovereignty to a neo-fascist dictator, getting in bed with Vladimir Putin, and we're going to send the producer of The Bold and The Beautiful as our ambassador."

apparently Dear Leader is not pleased
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30318898

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

He's not wrong, lol. Orban is certainly the farthest right of any leader in the EU currently although neo-fascist might be a bit hyperbolic and a TV producer who's sole asset appears to be bundling money for the president is probably a terrible choice for ambassador to such a country. Like if he made her ambassador to Tuvalu or Bahamas or something, fine, but Hungary?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Could at least have chosen Ken Corday.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

A Pale Horse posted:

He's not wrong, lol. Orban is certainly the farthest right of any leader in the EU currently although neo-fascist might be a bit hyperbolic and a TV producer who's sole asset appears to be bundling money for the president is probably a terrible choice for ambassador to such a country. Like if he made her ambassador to Tuvalu or Bahamas or something, fine, but Hungary?

Sending someone unimportant shows Hungary that if they are going to elect people like Orban we aren't going to be that friendly with them. If Hungary wants to be on Putin's side, let it - that is the EU's problem imo.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

McDowell posted:

Sending someone unimportant shows Hungary that if they are going to elect people like Orban we aren't going to be that friendly with them. If Hungary wants to be on Putin's side, let it - that is the EU's problem imo.

Issue: Bell may not be that well positioned to coordinate counter-neo-facsist coup in Hungary, and McCain is thinking about running for 2016.

Hungary is as important as will impact the next round of elections in America. Labeling it as "less important" ignores the subjective values of American politics; it doesn't matter who is important, it matters if people will perceive the narrative built or reinforced with an issue as one they should vote for.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 3, 2014

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It's a bigger issue than that.

quote:

Russia has always taken diplomacy and its diplomats seriously. America, on the other hand, does not. Of this country’s 28 diplomatic missions in NATO capitals (of which 26 are either currently filled by an ambassador or have nominees waiting to be confirmed), 16 are, or will be, headed by political appointees; only one ambassador to a major NATO ally, Turkey, is a career diplomat. Fourteen ambassadors got their jobs in return for raising big money for President Obama’s election campaigns, or worked as his aides.
Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/04/russias-diplomats-are-better-than-ours-105773.html#ixzz3KsAw5CDK

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Two of my professors are collaborating on a research project that examines US ambassador appointments, the amount donated needed to land certain posts, and performances of political vs career appointees. You can read their working paper here: http://sia.psu.edu/news/ambassadorial_postings

A cool $3.1 million personal donation to land Luxembourg unless of course the Senate never approves your appointment lol

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

McDowell posted:

You can afford to send a diplomatic newbie to a friendly place with little importance like Finland, not to a country that is in the process of becoming an ally to your main foe. In a place like that you'd prefer a veteran diplomat who knows the local conditions, preferably is fluent in the language, and knows how to lead an embassy, how to make useful connections and what to report back to home.

What it comes down to is whether Orban's Hungary really is a reliable democratic NATO ally or a possible future troublemaker. Even then it's not like Orban is worse than Erdogan, but Turkey is actually strategically important to USA so McCain wouldn't use similar language there.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Two of my professors are collaborating on a research project that examines US ambassador appointments, the amount donated needed to land certain posts, and performances of political vs career appointees. You can read their working paper here: http://sia.psu.edu/news/ambassadorial_postings

A cool $3.1 million personal donation to land Luxembourg unless of course the Senate never approves your appointment lol

That's pretty unfortunate because it can do a lot to harm America's reputation abroad. Political appointees can say a lot of inflammatory stuff or get misunderstood by the locals because they are not professional diplomats. We are all used to John McCain and Lindsay Graham saying dumb poo poo on the senate floor, but its a bit different when the ambassador does it in a foreign country.

Now, who wants to give me 3.1 million so I can go chill in Europe establish valuable cooperation with one of our closest allies?

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
As far as I know during Bush era they had plenty of those amateur diplomats too.

Looks like just two ambassadors to Estonia were political appointees and that was in 2004-2009, and the rest are career diplomats. We're quite irrelevant so it looks like a waste of perfectly good diplomats :P

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bloomberg's headline today. :golfclap:

Bloomberg posted:

Oil, the Ruble and Putin Are All Headed for 63. A Russian Joke -- for the Moment

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Pycckuu posted:

That's pretty unfortunate because it can do a lot to harm America's reputation abroad. Political appointees can say a lot of inflammatory stuff or get misunderstood by the locals because they are not professional diplomats. We are all used to John McCain and Lindsay Graham saying dumb poo poo on the senate floor, but its a bit different when the ambassador does it in a foreign country.

Now, who wants to give me 3.1 million so I can go chill in Europe establish valuable cooperation with one of our closest allies?

I remember ambassador Benson Whitney saying a lot of stupid poo poo here in Norway. Didn't get any better when Wikileaks released his transcripts of reports to Bush, where he always bitched about how no one listened to him. Though his predecessor was not any better, as he warned about how our refusal to get involved in Iraq meant that our "friendship" would be ruined. Turned out he had making threats without any backing, making him look like a buffoon.

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 4, 2014

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Pycckuu posted:

I long for the days when Thomas Jefferson threw away all ambassadorial decorum and answered foreign diplomats in a bathrobe. Then the mighty Putin would think twice about challenging the US.

Then again if you pay $3.1 million to go live in Luxembourg as an ambassador maybe you deserve all the banks and cows.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Nenonen posted:

John McCain has called Viktor Orban a 'neo-fascist dictator' in a senate hearing on Obama's ambassador candidate (she contributed $800k to Obama's campaign)

apparently Dear Leader is not pleased
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30318898

quote:

The former The Bold and The Beautiful producer, he said on Tuesday, was a political appointee who had contributed $800,000 (£510,000; €650,000) to President Barack Obama's last election campaign.

However, it was his next comments that most riled the Hungarian government and prompted Foreign Minister Peter Szijjarto to summon US charge d'affaires Andre Goodfriend.

"I am not against political appointees," the senator said. "I understand how the game is played, but here we are, a nation (Hungary) on the verge of ceding its sovereignty to a neo-fascist dictator, getting in bed with (Russian President) Vladimir Putin, and we're going to send the producer of The Bold and The Beautiful as our ambassador."

This is stopped clock territory because it is completely true that Obama loves appointing fundraisers and democratic money insiders to actually important ambassadorial roles. Obama is pretty garbage as far as appointments in general, and I'm an Obama supporter.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Then again, 90% of politics is theater so maybe a soap opera producer will be more effective at managing Hungary's drama. She can go to cafepress and make an inside-joke tshirt about the Treaty of Trianon to really get them on her side.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Best Friends posted:

This is stopped clock territory because it is completely true that Obama loves appointing fundraisers and democratic money insiders to actually important ambassadorial roles. Obama is pretty garbage as far as appointments in general, and I'm an Obama supporter.

Except that every president ever has rewarded contributors with ambassadorships. It's standard protocol. If Obama hadn't done it they would have been pissed.

Actual diplomacy is handled by careerists. The ambassador position itself is largely ceremonial.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Iran blows the lid off of the truth about the homonazi junta once and for all with a news article about the shocking FSB report with intelligence from Edward Snowden! The US is actually run by a shadow government of Nazi space aliens! Russia has proof and it's all in their very true and factual report.

http://english.farsnews.com/newstext.aspx?nn=13921021000393

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Iran blows the lid off of the truth about the homonazi junta once and for all with a news article about the shocking FSB report with intelligence from Edward Snowden! The US is actually run by a shadow government of Nazi space aliens! Russia has proof and it's all in their very true and factual report.

http://english.farsnews.com/newstext.aspx?nn=13921021000393

Holy poo poo please tell me the Russian government is this dumb :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Gen. Ripper posted:

Holy poo poo please tell me the Russian government is this dumb :allears:

Who knows? But Fars is semi-official news for Iran.

• Locked thread