Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I played a 7 turn game where my Dreadnought fired its multimelta every single turn and never hit a drat thing. I frequently deep strike squads with two melta guns and the amount of 1s and 2s is insane. I'll deep strike my Chaos Lord and 3 Terminators, all with combi meltas, and roll 4 2s and my Lord's BS of 5 is the only reason any of them hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I roll pretty well for my melta. That's balanced out by the fact that I play Dark Angels.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I mostly play Tyranids so I don't have to worry about my melta missing since I don't have any. :cool:

Though somehow snap-firing melta shots always seem to hit my flyers.

Unless of course I jink.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Hra Mormo posted:

Wisdom. I've had entire games where all melta weapons on both sides either refuse to hit a single time, or refuse to penetrate if they do. Even when in melta range. It's become a running gag at this point where we have to stop for a minute to celebrate whenever somebody lands a melta shot.

Conversely, I've witnessed a SW sergeant snap-fire his combi-melta at a charging Defiler, roll a 6 to hit, 14 to pen, then a 6 on the vehicle damage chart, causing it to explode with all HP remaining.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I tried switching from melta to plasma with my stormtroopers. The 1's still came, and followed straight into the armor saves for getting hot :negative:

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Agree on meltas and yet deffkoptas seem surprisingly accurate.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
My BS 3 meltas and plasmas have no problem wrecking poo poo, but god forbid a large blast actually hit something. I think all of my tankers are permanently drunk.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

Frobbe posted:

I just had a gander at the "new releases" on GW's store. They're doing small format codex for a bunch of armies, that owns! i can now get the space marines and knight codex for what a single book would've cost me before.

Where are you? I only see them at $10 less than the big versions. $50 for a book is still a lot. If it was cheaper, I'd totally buy additional books.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I experience a similar confirmation bias type thing w/r/t multimeltas, lascannons, etc. It's only natural, since those are big, expensive (in terms of points cost) single shots that you typically have a lot riding on if it's the sort of hard target you shoot those at in the first place. There's a lot of feelbad room compared to something with multiple shots, or twin linked, or something you can spam all over a blob.

It's probably balanced out by all the anecdotes of land raiders detonating from being farted at by a mook with a meltagun. :v:

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Magna-Grapple is simultaneously the most awesome and hilarious thing ever. I'm just imagining a dreadnought flying trough the air Just Cause style and grappling tiny killa kans or land speeders.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Magna-Grapple is simultaneously the most awesome and hilarious thing ever. I'm just imagining a dreadnought flying trough the air Just Cause style and grappling tiny killa kans or land speeders.

I'm imagining the move through cover rule means the dread is going all spiderman, webslinging through some ruins.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lord Hypnostache posted:

I love it, but its not new for this book though.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I prefer the idea that the dread fires it and the speeder or whatever just gets yoinked to a standstill, and then reeled in.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I prefer the idea that the dread fires it and the speeder or whatever just gets yoinked to a standstill, and then reeled in.

There has to be a way to convert up a BA Dread to look like Scorpion.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

They should have based it on AV. If the front AV is equal or lower it gets reeled in. If it's higher the dread spideys over to it.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Cataphract posted:

They should have based it on AV. If the front AV is equal or lower it gets reeled in. If it's higher the dread spideys over to it.

Tank and heavy each add +1 to the vehicle's front AV for purposes of this calculation.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The new Sanguinary powers are pretty interesting. Just quickening so far afaik has been put out there, but the fact that you can cast it on other models is pretty bad rear end.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

PantsOptional posted:

There has to be a way to convert up a BA Dread to look like Scorpion.

I'm thinking I'll do this with my Deathstorm dread, assuming its two grapples fit nicely in the palm of the two power fists like I think they will. Also assuming they don't look totally stupid.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

There's not reason you couldn't use the Decimator from Forgeworld and paint it up scorpion colours, that or a comtemptor is going to look better I think.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Who else has money on the next of these campaign sets being Sisters of Battle versus Necrons?

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Who else has money on the next of these campaign sets being Sisters of Battle versus Necrons?

I really doubt that, but if it is, I certainly have some money for it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I seriously doubt there will be a Sisters of Battle anything, I mean they're lucky to get the codex.

I think the next Campaign will be Necrons Vs. a Marine army or Imperial Guard as they actually do not have any formations.

Basically I think GW realized they hit a sweet spot with Campaigns that makes most people happy. A box set, new rules for a older faction with one or two new model kits, then a complete new Codex.

Although the Ork formations are kind of poo poo and that codex is kind of poo poo as well.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 4, 2014

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

i reckon necrons will come into the tail of the shield of baal and hook up with their best bros, The Blood Angels, to fight off the nids

Cataphract fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 4, 2014

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It is somewhat unlikely, but there will be plastic Sisters at some point and it would be the perfect way to re-launch the army.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I just won a Thunderbolt on eBay for about 20% less than FW pricing. I blame Leo Showers for this.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Going back to Sanctuary 101 for a third time? gently caress yeah I could get behind that!

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That's what I was thinking. That and the glut of new SoB art in the Baal book.

Cataphract posted:

i reckon necrons will come into the tail of the shield of baal and hook up with their best bros, The Blood Angels, to fight off the nids

I think you're right.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Actually while I hate the idea of Necron's allying, I think that you may have made the right call on that one.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Hollismason posted:

Actually while I hate the idea of Necron's allying, I think that you may have made the right call on that one.

"New" Necrons ally when it benefits them, because unless they are extraordinarily territorial or defective Necron leadership has a good sense of strategy and galactic politics. They have a vested interest in having the Tyranids not sweep through and devour whole portions of their perceived domain and if this means speaking with some wretched human scum they will tolerate it.

Meanwhile, in the background, Trayzn will sneak around during the battle and steal some blessed blood-infused golden artifact from the Blood Angels sanctum, thus fulfilling his desire for a gaudy chalice in his newest diorama and ensuring the Necrons and Blood Angels will encounter awkward situations later when the Chapter Master finds out.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Speaking of Angels, Belialbomb: bring two heavy flamers, or two assault cannons? I think assault cannons, just to ping rear armor, but is there a consensus?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

BlackIronHeart posted:

I just won a Thunderbolt on eBay for about 20% less than FW pricing. I blame Leo Showers for this.

Nice! Thunderbolts are pretty cool, although honestly they are surprisingly large. Is yours already assembled/painted? If it's mounted on a flying base, please tell/show me how it's mounted because I'm still tossing up ideas.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
It's actually in a completely unassembled and uncleaned state, it's basically just been taken out of the bags. The seller is including a GW flying base but I don't know if I'll be using that. What I've done for my 2 Ork flyers is use brass tube and rod and countersink it into a thick wooden base. Some slate decoration weighs the base down even more. Unfortunately, both those flyers aren't FW resin-hunks so I'm not sure if that same process will work.

Whichever way works, I'm going to assemble this so it'll look just as good on the ground or on a flying stand as I'm building a 4' x 6' airfield table and it could stand in as terrain.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
100% chance that's Chinese, you overpaid.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

BlackIronHeart posted:

It's actually in a completely unassembled and uncleaned state, it's basically just been taken out of the bags. The seller is including a GW flying base but I don't know if I'll be using that. What I've done for my 2 Ork flyers is use brass tube and rod and countersink it into a thick wooden base. Some slate decoration weighs the base down even more. Unfortunately, both those flyers aren't FW resin-hunks so I'm not sure if that same process will work.

Whichever way works, I'm going to assemble this so it'll look just as good on the ground or on a flying stand as I'm building a 4' x 6' airfield table and it could stand in as terrain.

Thunderbolts 4 lyf

Once again I'd like to reiterate that I didn't paint this. I bought it fairly cheap off eBay with the intention of stripping it, but honestly it would've been a massive pain in the rear end so I've left it, it looks good enough and I really don't want to gently caress with the cockpit. I actually keep this model out on display because the landing gear is down, however it is tail-heavy so the original builder put a metal rod to keep the back from falling over.

The one I bought is partially assembled and primed grey. I'm not going to mount my current T-bolt until I get this second one so I can look at how the model goes together, I want to mount it closer to the center of gravity but I don't want to gently caress up any internal structure.

Tentatively speaking, I'll sink the mounting stick between the undercarriage or slight aft of it. The further back the better, but I'm worried about how far down the cockpit space goes so I might need to but a counterweight on the front of the base to stop it toppling backwards.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

ghetto wormhole posted:

100% chance that's Chinese, you overpaid.

I'd be right there with you if the seller hadn't noted there was minor damage (dings and dents from getting knocked around), the resin appears to be the same pale-ish grey stuff that FW uses, and it's got big-rear end FW vent chunks hanging off pieces. I'm not gonna go on about Chinese recasts since I've been probated twice before on that subject. Take that as you will.

Leo Showers posted:

Tentatively speaking, I'll sink the mounting stick between the undercarriage or slight aft of it. The further back the better, but I'm worried about how far down the cockpit space goes so I might need to but a counterweight on the front of the base to stop it toppling backwards.

I could partially assemble the cockpit area and take some pics, if that would help?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Yeah, if you have it. I'm expecting mine will take at least another week to arrive.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I'm hoping to have mine on Saturday and I'll take pics when it gets in, the seller lives about 2 hours from me.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

BlackIronHeart posted:

I'd be right there with you if the seller hadn't noted there was minor damage (dings and dents from getting knocked around), the resin appears to be the same pale-ish grey stuff that FW uses, and it's got big-rear end FW vent chunks hanging off pieces. I'm not gonna go on about Chinese recasts since I've been probated twice before on that subject. Take that as you will.

I could partially assemble the cockpit area and take some pics, if that would help?

The vent chunks alone mean it has to be real :v:

I'm gonna make some jersey barriers out of all the FW chunks I've kept someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Re: melta talk - This is the sole reason why I like playing as Salamanders with Vulkan along.

Also somebody needs to make a diorama with a Chaos Land Raider and a couple of BA dreads dangling after it from their magna-grapples like giant tin cans.

• Locked thread