Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Let's talk about devil deal chances and how damage affects it.

1) Does soul heart damage count if a character doesn't have any red heart containers?
2) Is Blue Baby different?
3) Does damage from room hazards count (curse rooms, spikes etc)? I think yes.
4) Does damage from self-harm sources (blood banks, IV Bag, Razor? Blood Rights?) count? I think not.
5) Does killing the boss without taking damage increase the chance? I think yes. Is red/soul damage different here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
For a balanced devil deal, picking up Dark Bum should give you three empty heart containers, and take a red heart away from you. :v:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

omeg posted:

Let's talk about devil deal chances and how damage affects it.

1) Does soul heart damage count if a character doesn't have any red heart containers?
2) Is Blue Baby different?
3) Does damage from room hazards count (curse rooms, spikes etc)? I think yes.
4) Does damage from self-harm sources (blood banks, IV Bag, Razor? Blood Rights?) count? I think not.
5) Does killing the boss without taking damage increase the chance? I think yes. Is red/soul damage different here?

Correct for all of the above, as far as I can recall.

Your chance to find a devil room is decreased if you take red heart damage during the level. It is decreased further if you take red heart damage during the boss (if you only take red heart damage during the boss then it applies both, not just the boss one). If you lose red hearts through something that takes red hearts preferentially (blood banks, etc) then that's not a problem.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
As for 1, definitely not. Play Azazel or ???, you're pretty much guaranteed to see a Devil Room on the second floor.

That's at least my experience.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
The Devil Room only cares about red heart damage, even if you have no heart containers. So Blue Baby always qualifies that way.

The chance to see a Devil/Angel room is quartered if you entered one in the previous level, and halved if you entered one two levels ago. However, I think having the Goat Head trumps the reduction, and having the Book of Belial seems to guarantee a Devil/Angel Room.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

borf posted:

Can your damage keep increasing after hitting the visible stat cap?

Very yes. The bars are only about 2 damage each and there are combos that do hundreds.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

IMJack posted:

The Devil Room only cares about red heart damage, even if you have no heart containers. So Blue Baby always qualifies that way.

The chance to see a Devil/Angel room is quartered if you entered one in the previous level, and halved if you entered one two levels ago. However, I think having the Goat Head trumps the reduction, and having the Book of Belial seems to guarantee a Devil/Angel Room.

So with Angel rooms is it better to just ignore the devil room when it appears to avoid the reduced chance on the next floor or do you actually have to enter and leave the devil room to increase your Angel room odds?

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Here is a thing that is linked in the OP

quote:

*The chance of finding a Devil/God room without any modifiers is a flat 1%.
**Having the Pentagram increases the chance of finding a Devil/God Room by 20%.
**Holding the Book of Belial increases the chance of finding a Devil/God Room by 25%.
**Holding the Book of Revelations increases the chance of finding a Devil/God Room by 35%.
**Killing the Beggar increases the chance of finding a Devil/God Room by 35%.
**Beating the boss without taking damage increases the chance of finding a Devil/God Room by 35%. Soul Heart damage does not count.
**Beating the entire floor without taking damage increases the chance of finding a Devil/God Room by 99%. Soul Heart damage does not count. Does not work on the first floor.
**Having the Devil/God room opened up two floors ago cuts your chances in half. This also always happens on Basement/Cellar 2.
**Having the Devil/God room opened up the previous floor cuts your chances in half twice. (If you're on a labyrinth floor, the previous floor SHOULD be two floors ago. Needs testing.) This also always happens on Basement/Cellar 1.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Brosnan posted:

Ok that only applies for someone looking for either, though. I'm specifically trying to maximize my odds of finding Angel rooms. It also doesn't mention the various ways the game decides which to give you, one of which is whether you've turned down a devil deal at some point. My question was whether ignoring the devil room counts as doing so, or whether you have to enter then leave.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

PantsBandit posted:

So with Angel rooms is it better to just ignore the devil room when it appears to avoid the reduced chance on the next floor or do you actually have to enter and leave the devil room to increase your Angel room odds?

You get the reduced chance as soon as the room spawns, whether you enter it or not. The angel room chance only cares whether you make a deal with the devil. You can enter the room, pick up some black hearts, get an item from a red chest, etc., as long as you don't actually trade your health away.

I'm not sure how this interacts with the credit card.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

borf posted:

Can your damage keep increasing after hitting the visible stat cap?

Yes, range and damage do not have caps as far as I know, not counting what all items in the game combined can give you.

Brosnan posted:

That list is how it worked in the original (which I am guilty of quoting myself), The Book of Belial now guarantees a devil room, and the Book of Revelations may have lost it's bonus. As far as we know the damage rules still apply though.

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 3, 2014

borf
Apr 5, 2006

AndroidHub posted:

Yes, range and damage do not have caps as far as I know, not counting what all items in the game combined can give you.

Cool. Was mainly wondering if it's worth dropping stuff like Book of Belial after hitting the cap, but if it's still beneficial then go nuts on damage I shall.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I guess strictly speaking you can even raise it beyond what all the items in the game can give you with the razor blade + infinite health setups (and a few other items), once the size of your tears has gone beyond the size of the screen though there's no way to really gauge your damage, also your tears would be one shotting anything that exists in the game at this point so :shrug:.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You get the reduced chance as soon as the room spawns, whether you enter it or not. The angel room chance only cares whether you make a deal with the devil. You can enter the room, pick up some black hearts, get an item from a red chest, etc., as long as you don't actually trade your health away.

Ah, ok guess that simplifies things.

Yeah when I was googling around about this people had all sorts of crazy ideas about angel rooms, saying that stuff like bombing corpses, picking up black hearts, bombing beggars, etc would all hurt your chances of finding them. I guess I've been overcomplicating it for myself.

senae posted:

There's also now the evil/faith hidden stat which apparently impacts what room you get.

Yeah I think that's what people are talking about but nobody seems to know exactly how it functions haha.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 3, 2014

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

AndroidHub posted:

That list is how it worked in the original (which I am guilty of quoting myself), The Book of Belial now guarantees a devil room, and the Book of Revelations may have lost it's bonus. As far as we know the damage rules still apply though.

There's also now the evil/faith hidden stat which apparently impacts what room you get.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Does anyone know if the edplusdanielle shop is opening back up soon? I was hoping to get something for someone for Xmas off of there. Doesn't seem to be any news on the site itself.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
???'s Only Friend is such a great item, because you can use it to cheese fights just like with Ludo, but without giving up your death-hose of tears for when things charge at you.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I've tested with a credit card + goats head and gotten an Angel Room directly after using the credit card on the devil deal. The ONLY thing that gives you sin/disqualifies you from Angel Rooms is actually PAYING Satan. You can take anything he gives you for free, or charge it all on Mom's card and God doesn't care.

Also, beating Krampus counts as "turning down the devil" even if you take his item (which you always should unless he drops his head and you have a better spacebar item). So if you see Krampus on the second floor, you're pretty likely to get an Angel Room on floor 3 provided you avoid red heart damage.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 3, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Man even my Isaac is just like "oh gee thanks".

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
I wish Steam Sale also guaranteed a shop on the next floor or something. It sucks getting it Womb or later.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The expansion boss (or one of them) should be God himself. After all he is the one who told mom to kill Isaac. :v:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Oxyclean posted:

The expansion boss (or one of them) should be God himself. After all he is the one who told mom to kill Isaac. :v:

I thought it was implied that it was Satan masquerading as God who did that.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Oxyclean posted:

The thing is I feel like it should be a hopeless fight, since God being omnipotent and poo poo is kind of a central tenet.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

LaughMyselfTo posted:

The thing is I feel like it should be a hopeless fight, since God being omnipotent and poo poo is kind of a central tenet.

This is game where you poop fire tears on Satan and he dies. I don't think anyone cares about central tenets.

I figure an expansion would either include lots of alternate bosses, new alternate floors, or yeah, it'd include God or something which you can reach by defeating Mega Satan from either path.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't care if it doesn't fit with the plot or story, I want to be able to kill God with eye lasers dammit.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

CJacobs posted:

I don't care if it doesn't fit with the plot or story, I want to be able to kill God with eye lasers boiling lava piss-barf dammit.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AnonSpore posted:

I thought it was implied that it was Satan masquerading as God who did that.

Where was this implied? :confused:

Also, I agree that God is a logical expansion boss. The last expansion was all about the undead versions of previous bosses/enemies and such, it would be neat to have a "holy" version as well.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
I'm sorry, I'm just laughing my rear end off at the idea of entering a boss fight, discovering that you're going up against God, and promptly being killed in an empty room by a white beam from heaven.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Holy Monstro III that barfs a ton of seeking tears :twisted:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Black August posted:

This is game where you poop fire tears on Satan and he dies. I don't think anyone cares about central tenets.

I figure an expansion would either include lots of alternate bosses, new alternate floors, or yeah, it'd include God or something which you can reach by defeating Mega Satan from either path.

Yeah, I get the feeling that a lot of the "story" is just Isaac as a little kid writing a self-insert story as he sits in the corner with his crayons. "And then I opened my mouth to shoot brimstone lasers at Mega Satan, which killed him and ended evil forever and Mom loved me again."

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Isaac's mom isn't real. :c00l:

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
All the holy bosses would have to be crazy poo poo like the Ophanim, the angel that's a pair of nested chariot wheels covered in eyes.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 3, 2014

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Fortis posted:

All the holy bosses would have to be crazy poo poo like the Ophanim, the angel that's a pair of nested chariot wheels covered in eyes.

Fistula/Teratoma descendant that ultimately decays into the white bomb worms. Bam, done.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Every time I get a good winning streak going it gets ruined by a floor one Haunt. gently caress that rear end in a top hat forever :argh:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i had d100 roll me something that could not fire. either that or the range and damage was so weak i literally couldnt see it

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Scythes + Tiny Planet + Monstro's Lung + idontevenknow :magical:

...and after taking Ludovico:

Then D4 ruined me because of item pool exhaustion.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

omeg posted:

Scythes + Tiny Planet + Monstro's Lung + idontevenknow :magical:

...and after taking Ludovico:

Then D4 ruined me because of item pool exhaustion.

The tear shadows on the floor... :magical:

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

omeg posted:

Someone has posted a tool that extracts seeds from the game log, care to post again? I can't find it and could use that.

I reuploaded it here:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=47094649014585974405

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Thanks!

Log from that BASEMENT run: http://pastebin.com/80xMsVg0 :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Davincie posted:

i had d100 roll me something that could not fire. either that or the range and damage was so weak i literally couldnt see it

Maybe you just got a charge attack and a billion tears down items so it would take forever to charge.