Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Since the shipping fees are generally calculated during the KS drive and not whenever fulfillment happens to be, the new system doesn't really help if there is another massive fee hike. It does reduce the clutter of multi-national pledge tiers though, which is good.

It's a good system, for what it can be. It's just going to take a bit of time for me to get over the 'surprise' of fees attached after the fact. I admit, it's wholly irrational on my part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
Legacy has funded! It's still got 64 hours left, so I'm hoping we can hit some stretch goals. First up is another family playbook, the Cultivators of New Flesh, experts at engineering the new life forms the survivors are going to need to survive in the twisted, fallen world they now live in.

Also, more art has come in! I really can't recommend Jeff Brown enough if you want landscapes painted - he's fast, cheap and talented.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

I very much like Jeff Brown's work. This was just the thing to tip me over the edge. Backed!

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yay! Kickstarter has a new lovely design. Since when did frames become a thing again?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
What an amazing waste of a vertical inch. Holy poo poo.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I like how it moves the BACK THIS PROJECT button halfway up if you aren't fully scrolled past the upper frame.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I thought I had accidentally gone to Paypal when I clicked it because the page that loads until you scroll down is literally Paypal's login page

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Paranoia just got the new edition successfully funded. Glad to see they're still making new versions!

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Paranoia just got the new edition successfully funded. Glad to see they're still making new versions!

Too bad it looks like absolute poo poo. Because what I wanted from Paranoia was some early 00's Steve Jackson Games quality art and humor grafted into it along with a promise to "update" it to make it about terrorists instead of 1984/Brazil style mind control regimes. The new edition seriously feels like they decided to just inject Paranoia with a massive unneeded dose of 2000AD for no real reason.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Too bad it looks like absolute poo poo. Because what I wanted from Paranoia was some early 00's Steve Jackson Games quality art and humor grafted into it along with a promise to "update" it to make it about terrorists instead of 1984/Brazil style mind control regimes. The new edition seriously feels like they decided to just inject Paranoia with a massive unneeded dose of 2000AD for no real reason.

I like the idea of the in game achievements and xp to have even more ways to get people to kill each other. The terrorists thing sounds pretty dumb true, and god knows art has never been paranoias strong point.

Have not seen the art yet, but some of the art in previous editions was so horrid I doubt it could be as bad. It's also got to be better than fifth edition, right?

Regardless, I hope it isn't poo poo. I would like to buy it one day.

Jarvisi fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Dec 3, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Have not seen the art yet, but some of the art in previous editions was so horrid I doubt it could be as bad. It's also got to be better than fifth edition, right?

The art was the first warning sign.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Holy poo poo that's bad.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Try to do the pointing-up gesture in the last pic without breaking your wrist.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

drat, that art is horrible.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Tekopo posted:

It's hard to do without an index finger as long as your face.

That seriously looks like the art from some high school newspaper comic strip. At least Fifth Edition had some measure of stylistic consistency, awful as it was.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Tekopo posted:

I just did. Something in my bicep really wants me to die now.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I've got no trouble DOING the pose--or what I think it is. The quality of the piece makes exactly where his arm is in relation to his body. It didn't hurt*, but it's definitely not how I'd naturally go about pointing at something behind/above me.

*I do have above-average flexibilty.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

He's also got some kind of freakishly long sloth arms.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

For comparison, this is the original art this one's referencing.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Well.

At least it isn't traced celebrities?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Evil Mastermind posted:

For comparison, this is the original art this one's referencing.

While its no masterpiece, it is so much better.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I honestly love Holloway's art, and his illustrations are a huge part of Paranoia.

Like, look at the original. The caption was something along the lines of "a traitor gets a bonus to his intimidation skill". And that's what the picture shows: a very Paranoia-esque situation where the Troubleshooter puts himself in a bad position and has to deal with it quickly. Plus the facial expressions perfectly convey the mood; the traitor is smugly triumphant, and the Troubleshooter is clearly thinking "um, oops...".

But in the new pic, going beyond the terrible proportions the faces are terrible. The traitor is derping pretty hard, I have no idea what the Troubleshooter's expression is supposed to be. And the nightstick coming in from off-panel completely defuses everything that makes the first picture work. It's no longer "okay, now you're in this tight situation, what do you do?", it's "nah, we got this".

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Well obviously they couldn't have a situation where the black dude comes out on top. He's gotta get beaten with a club from off-screen so we know everything is fine, and he looks so goofy so we know even with the gun in his hand and the explosives behind him he's not a threat, not really.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

I honestly love Holloway's art, and his illustrations are a huge part of Paranoia.

Like, look at the original. The caption was something along the lines of "a traitor gets a bonus to his intimidation skill". And that's what the picture shows: a very Paranoia-esque situation where the Troubleshooter puts himself in a bad position and has to deal with it quickly. Plus the facial expressions perfectly convey the mood; the traitor is smugly triumphant, and the Troubleshooter is clearly thinking "um, oops...".

But in the new pic, going beyond the terrible proportions the faces are terrible. The traitor is derping pretty hard, I have no idea what the Troubleshooter's expression is supposed to be. And the nightstick coming in from off-panel completely defuses everything that makes the first picture work. It's no longer "okay, now you're in this tight situation, what do you do?", it's "nah, we got this".

Plus the original art has most of a DANGER, Flammable warning; the new art has EXPLOSIVE, No Lasers and two explosive icons and a no lasers icon; total overkill to the point of feeling like spoon feeding and also not very realistic.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Evil Mastermind posted:

Also, the stickers on the tank completely distort the perspective compared to the original. Where is the tank? Are they looking down on it?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Also, the stickers on the tank completely distort the perspective compared to the original. Where is the tank? Are they looking down on it?

I'd say most of us are looking down on it. :downsrim:

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Indolent Bastard posted:

Plus the original art has most of a DANGER, Flammable warning; the new art has EXPLOSIVE, No Lasers and two explosive icons and a no lasers icon; total overkill to the point of feeling like spoon feeding and also not very realistic.

Especially for Paranoia, where safety... is not really a major focus.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
In an actual game, that yellow thing is just a pillar, painted yellow and covered in stickers, used as an insurance policy. In the new edition? I dunno, is there a card for it?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

So the 20th Anniversary edition Wraith KS has a 35$ PDF reward level. Most expensive PDF ever or what? Print is at 110$.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Does that include stretch goals? There should be at least one eBook, and there's usually a few supplements if it goes high enough.

Either way, it still doesn't touch $60 for Dark Heresy second edition.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I think it's just the core, not sure. The Splatbooks are extra, for example.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I checked it out, if you're backing a tier includes the Wraith 20 PDF, you'll also get the stretch eBooks. This is different than the add-on PDFs, which are previous edition PDFs offered at a discount to help raise money for the new one.

I've backed some Onyx Path stuff before, and I've never been disappointed with the quality for the price. You could always wait for it to get finished and go on sale at drivethru, too. Except for the deluxe printing, everything will be available after the KS.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Indolent Bastard posted:

I'm sorry, but I believe if you look closely the sign says No Lazers because z's are funnier.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ravenkult posted:

I think it's just the core, not sure. The Splatbooks are extra, for example.

It'll include all the stretch goal supplements if you back up to the pdf level. Unless this is different from every other kickstarter Onyx Path has done, only the old supplements will be extra.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 4, 2014

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The art is bad but I'm not leaping to the conclusion that this will be a zap-only fest like Fifth just yet.

And putting some emphasis on terrorism over Cold War material does not strike me as an unforgivable change to a setting. They've even said the Communists still exist, and you know, satire of all things should probably be amenable to changing with the times.

What's the point of a new edition that changes nothing?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
If it includes Wraith: The Great War it's totally wort it since that's one of the best supplements ever written for an RPG and somehow manages to dodge every single possible pitfall you'd imagine considering its a old school WW book about the holocaust.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

:cmon:

WtGW owns, but I don't see it in there yet. If that gets updated I'm totally in.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

El Estrago Bonito posted:

If it includes Wraith: The Great War it's totally wort it since that's one of the best supplements ever written for an RPG and somehow manages to dodge every single possible pitfall you'd imagine considering its a old school WW book about the holocaust.

I think you mean Charnel Houses? The Great War is WWI, which as a Wraith supplement/alt-core I seem to recall was fairly "meh".

EDIT: Oh wow I didn't realize they got around to making Charnel Houses PoD. They're really chewing through that old catalogue.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 4, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

You're definitely thinking of Charnel Houses of Europe: The Shoah, which somehow managed to handle an RPG about holocaust ghosts with as much taste and dignity as is possible. The Great War was the WWI supplement, which dealt with the shadowlands fallout and the Fourth Maelstrom.

Each Maelstrom corresponds to a live-world disaster that shakes up the underworld and floods it with new souls.

Maxwell Lord posted:

And putting some emphasis on terrorism over Cold War material does not strike me as an unforgivable change to a setting. They've even said the Communists still exist, and you know, satire of all things should probably be amenable to changing with the times.

What's the point of a new edition that changes nothing?

The problem is that "the Communists" were only a threat when Alpha Complex was created. Switching focus to "the Terrorists" misses that Alpha Complex was birthed at the height of Cold War, er, paranoia. Trading Communists for Terrorists doesn't work because we never built underground survival bunkers to resist terrorists - we just traded our privacy for "security."

It doesn't work because part of the joke is that beloved Friend Computer is in a hyper-alert defensive state for an enemy who hasn't existed for 100+ years. The McCarthyism that drives much of Paranoia's humor falls flat reskinned for Terrorism because dem terrerests is shorthand for some extremely racist bullshit that's still getting people killed today.

Alpha Complex works as a cautionary artifact, memorial of a worse time, and as a taken-to-illogical-extremes mental exercise of where jingoistic hyper-patriotism could lead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also, red fear was about how commies could be anyone. Americans believe terrorists have dark skin and possibly a turban. Our national psychological defect wrt terrorism is xenophobia, not paranoia. It's literally the wrong word.

• Locked thread