Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

bassguitarhero posted:

Literally this. The only black person attacked by police that Obama gave a poo poo about was his personal good friend, a Harvard professor. It would be ironic that Obama's time as President will be one of the worst for civil rights for black people. At this point, I would imagine that, had Oscar Grant been shot by Mehserle during Obama's terms, the grand jury wouldn't have indicted him, either.

So at this point, has Obama pardoned more turkeys than black men?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Teddybear posted:

The Rockefeller tree lighting is tonight on live national television. Protests are apparently inbound.

Excellent...I imagine that only folks who still watch that are already folks who think the murder is justified.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

zoux posted:

I read an article after the Wilson non-verdict came out, I can't remember where, but it showed that the language used in these cases is very similar to this type of lurid early 20th century journalistic obsession with the crazed or drugged out and unstoppable monster black man that was a window into white fears of blacks.

Was it this one?

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...uman_demon.html

I bookmarked this one too

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/making-sense-of-darren-wilsons-story

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Stultus Maximus posted:

So at this point, has Obama pardoned more turkeys than black men?

Well, he pardons two turkeys a year, so that's twelve so far, right?

Here's the list of his pardons:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_pardoned_by_Barack_Obama

Not implausible.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's the one yeah.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

you know I made a joke in the Ferguson thread about the only way a cop would be arrested and charged would be if they got a tape of him executing a man.

I forgot about Eric Garner when I made that joke :(. gently caress this poo poo is depressing.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Teddybear posted:

The Rockefeller tree lighting is tonight on live national television. Protests are apparently inbound.

The mayor has decided not to attend the lighting, for whatever that's worth.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.
As a white person, I hate my own race.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Teddybear posted:

Yeah DeBlasio cancelled his appearance at it minutes after this dropped

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

If, like me, you were curious about the guy who Obama pardoned for "mutilation of coins", here's the backstory. He was cutting the edges off pennies to trick a vending machine into thinking they were dimes. He never served any time, but that's a felony. Obama pardoned him so that he could get a gun permit.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Also for whatever it's worth, twitter is blowing up about this right now. All but one of the top non-promoted trending topics in NYC are about the Garner decision and the top two in the US are as well.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

"Garner, a repeat criminal who had health problems, died as a result of the encounter."

Yes. That reads much better.

"When confronted about his illegal activity Garner refused to quickly obey the police, leading to his death."

Rhesus Pieces posted:

If John Crawford can get smoked by SWAT-wannabees on camera in a Wal-Mart and Eric Garner can get choked to death while being filmed from five feet away and all the officers involved get off scot-free there's no reason to believe that anything will happen to the cop that was filmed basically pulling a drive-by on a 12 year old boy.

All the body cameras in the world aren't going to do a drat bit of good when the police effectively have a license to kill black people anyway.

Yeah nothing's happening to that guy. "Well we had reports of a (black) person with a gun at a park" is going to be an extra large 'get away with murder' card.

bassguitarhero posted:

I'm gonna lose my mind if Obama goes back in front of the cameras again to tell black folks to keep lying down and taking it.

Just make sure you have someone near by to take you to the hospital for your upcoming aneurism because if you think Obama isn't going to be meek as gently caress about race you're insane.

Fried Chicken posted:

Yeah DeBlasio cancelled his appearance at it minutes after this dropped

It's going to be amazing seeing him get loving destroyed if he runs for reelection.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
What's sad is that I remember all the talk about DeBlasio being a new groundbreaking progressive mayor back from 2013, the foil to Ed Koch from the 1980s, and he's basically turned out to be NYC's Obama from what I can tell :smithicide:

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yeah nothing's happening to that guy. "Well we had reports of a (black) person with a gun at a park" is going to be an extra large 'get away with murder' card.

In an open carry state no less.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

What's sad is that I remember all the talk about DeBlasio being a new groundbreaking progressive mayor back from 2013, the foil to Ed Koch from the 1980s, and he's basically turned out to be NYC's Obama from what I can tell :smithicide:

*in Boris from the Wire voice* Was he a Democrat? Was he a minority? Then he was not progressive.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

Just make sure you have someone near by to take you to the hospital for your upcoming aneurism because if you think Obama isn't going to be meek as gently caress about race you're insane.

I just want him to shut up. That's all I want from him right now. I want him to shut up, sit down and stay invisible for the rest of his awful term. I'd rather him at least hide like a coward than get out and actively defend the system that's doing this.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

out of curiosity how did De Blasio gently caress up this one? I honestly don't know his role in all this.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Monaghan posted:

out of curiosity how did De Blasio gently caress up this one? I honestly don't know his role in all this.

I'm guessing "not keeping the NYPD on a leash".

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

bassguitarhero posted:

I just want him to shut up. That's all I want from him right now. I want him to shut up, sit down and stay invisible for the rest of his awful term. I'd rather him at least hide like a coward than get out and actively defend the system that's doing this.

Seriously, Obama is worse than Clinton about this poo poo. Oh wait. Well, he's worse than Carter!

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Monaghan posted:

He didn't, really; mayors don't have a ton of direct control over criminal prosecutions and indictments. He has, however, been a surprisingly strong defender of NYPD's lovely policies.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Hey guys, I'm told you want to feel worse about everything going on in the world, so here are the comments from cops/emergency services personnel/fans who frequent police site PoliceOne.com on this link

http://www.policeone.com/Crowd-Control/articles/7921845-Lawyer-No-indictment-in-NYPD-in-custody-death/

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Teddybear posted:

He didn't, really; mayors don't have a ton of direct control over criminal prosecutions and indictments. He has, however, been a surprisingly strong defender of NYPD's lovely policies.

Stop and frisk has been effectively ended and he brought in the guy who reformed the LAPD to head the NYPD. We'll see how it shapes up overall

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Fried Chicken posted:

Stop and frisk has been effectively ended and he brought in the guy who reformed the LAPD to head the NYPD. We'll see how it shapes up overall

Well yeah but the "NYC Obama" thing is founded because while he has made needed progress, he campaigned as waaaay to the left of how he has actually been, and his opponent was fairly laughable.

Of course, you don't get to be mayor of NYC by being honest. Or POTUS.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Teddybear posted:

I'm surprised he's defending the policies, since I just heard he's putting camera's on some of the police.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

bassguitarhero posted:

I'm gonna lose my mind if Obama goes back in front of the cameras again to tell black folks to keep lying down and taking it.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/b8aa5127447e43bfb5997e3af00fa3da/obama-after-chokehold-decision-calls-trust posted:

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama says a decision by a New York grand jury not to indict a white police officer in the alleged chokehold death of an unarmed black man underscores the need to strengthen the trust and accountability between communities and law enforcement.

Obama says he discussed the grand jury's decision Wednesday with Attorney General Eric Holder. While not commenting on the decision specifically, he said there are "too many instances where people just do not have confidence that folks are being treated fairly."

Obama says police have to deal with crime every day, but says they can do their jobs better if people have confidence in the law enforcement system.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Obama is one of the worst Presidents ever. Still not as bad as W Bush though.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I have a feeling that Obama/DeBlasio style mealy-mouthed disappointing centrism is as far left as the powers-that-be will allow a major government executive to go.

America, circa 2019: "Man, I wish 'President Bernie' was more like 'Candidate Bernie', how awesome would that have been? :smith:"

Monaghan posted:

I'm surprised he's defending the policies, since I just heard he's putting camera's on some of the police.

The Garner case has demonstrated that all the body cameras in the world won't do a drat thing to get abusive cops indicted.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ninjasaurus posted:

He's not even in the top 10 worst presidents ever.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

zoux posted:

He's not even in the top three worst presidents of my lifetime.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Obama can be a terrible human being and still not rate as a top Bad POTUS.

The competition is incredibly fierce.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zoux posted:

Even if you're only focusing on racial issues he's probably better than average (and by he I mean "anything that happened while he was President).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

“It’s a horrible thing that he was killed, but he could have avoided that if he’d behaved like something other than a thug.”- Huck.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

quote:

underscores the need to strengthen the trust and accountability between communities and law enforcement.

People being choked to death in the streets with zero consequences is not some embarrassing faux pas that we all need to hug it out over. gently caress you. :frogout:

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Cop murders a man on camera for selling loose cigarettes and gets away with it is, in Obama's eyes, a 'incidence where people lose confidence' in cops.

Thanks for your insight, Obama. That is some real hard poo poo right there.

Ninjasaurus posted:

Yeah but I voted for Obama!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, “We have the ability to have a level of tolerance—breathing room, if you will.” ~ NYC Police Commission William Bratton, on their preparations for expected protests.

Dravinski
May 5, 2013

Rhesus Pieces posted:

The Garner case has demonstrated that all the body cameras in the world won't do a drat thing to get abusive cops indicted.

Apart of me thinks/hopes that they would be a deterrent of abusive acts committed by the police, but after the result of the Eric Garner case, I'm a lot less hopeful.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, “We have the ability to have a level of tolerance—breathing room, if you will.” ~ NYC Police Commission William Bratton.

Wow

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Okay, okay. That was a bit of hyperbole.

Obama is a terrible President but probably won't go down as one of the worst ever. Still not as terrible as Bush, though.

PS I voted for Obama because the alternatives were horrifying.

Stultus Maximus posted:

He's not even in the top three worst presidents of my lifetime.

Who's in your top 3?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

zoux posted:

*in Boris from the Wire voice* Was he a Democrat? Was he a minority? Then he was not progressive.

Why always Boris :smith:

Joementum posted:

they can do their jobs better if people have confidence in the law enforcement system.

look, I'm gonna need you to kindly stop resisting me choking the gently caress out of you and have a little confidence, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Is Obama's response to this somehow even more mealy-mouthed than his response to Wilson's free pass? I can barely discern even a hint of meaning, much less an important political statement.

• Locked thread