Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ironberry
Oct 14, 2013
Are the 40th anniversary remasters available as downloads anywhere? The only King Crimson downloads I can find are the DGM live shows and a few older remasters recently added to iTunes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I'm really more suprised at Robert Fripp taking a selfie video.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Possibly Chicken posted:

I'm really more suprised at Robert Fripp taking a selfie video.

The *band* was amazed Robert popped out to meet audience members after the first Albany show. I talked with his sister quite a bit at the Madison show and he popped out to say bye to her. I didn't try to talk to him.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Earwicker posted:

I will probably catch flak itt for saying this but IMO several of the early Jethro Tull albums have a certain amount of "heart" I guess I'd say that is really lacking on the albums of their prog contemporaries. I mean I love just about every late 60's/early 70's prog album that is out there, but there is something just so warm and beautiful and sad in a song like Wondring Aloud that I have never found in other prog rock from that period

It's not just the words and "woodier" arrangements but more Ian Anderson's whole style of singing and presence in the songs, it makes the vocals in Yes and Genesis seem so distant and aloof in comparison.

http://youtu.be/YmIbJ81MbKI

Love this long version of Wond'ring Aloud

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Steve Hackett hitting stage in 5 min :)

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Just got back from Steve Hackett at Massey Hall :woop:

He did, among other things, Squonk, Lilywhite Lillith, The Knife, Return of the Giant Hogweed, Dancing with the Moonlit Knight. He got a standing ovation for The Music Box and Supper's Ready (which they did in its entirety :stare: )

Fantastic concert from start to finish!

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Lilywhite Lilith is such a great tune.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Beardfish track from their new album due next month:

http://prog.teamrock.com/news/2014-12-03/beardfish-premiere-hold-on

It's not bad, but it's not great either. I thought "The Void" was a kickass album, so I'm feeling a little let down. Definitely more excited for the new Steven Wilson in February. Porcupine Tree can stay buried in the ground if he keeps working with Guthrie and Marco, IMO.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Seventh Arrow posted:

He got a standing ovation for The Music Box and Supper's Ready (which they did in its entirety :stare: )

Who did they get to cover vocals? I saw that Jakko sat in on a few tunes at some Hackett concert a while back.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Noise Machine posted:

Who did they get to cover vocals? I saw that Jakko sat in on a few tunes at some Hackett concert a while back.

I can't remember his name. In the image he's the guy in the vest who's standing to the left of Hackett. He did a really good Peter Gabriel impression, and even used some props and costumes (although not nearly to the degree that PG did).

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010
I feel like a bad Steven Wilson fan. I completely forgot that he was working on a new album - it'd been so long since I'd heard any news about it.

But it's available for pre-order now.
https://www.burningshed.com/store/kscope/

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Off to see Adrian Belew tonight in Toronto. :)

Daryl Fucking Hall
Feb 27, 2007

Daryl ohhhhhhhh Daryl

Earwicker posted:

Here is a cool article that goes through each bit of Fripp's current live setup:

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/rig-tour-robert-fripp-609374

My favorite thing is that King Crimson's "mellotron" is now the iPad app ThumbJam.

"Well, I was looking at the Frippertronics and I thought to myself, this is just too simple."

Really want to hear that new live album, I got really heavily into the 70's stuff a while back.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Earwicker posted:

I will probably catch flak itt for saying this but IMO several of the early Jethro Tull albums have a certain amount of "heart" I guess I'd say that is really lacking on the albums of their prog contemporaries. I mean I love just about every late 60's/early 70's prog album that is out there, but there is something just so warm and beautiful and sad in a song like Wondring Aloud that I have never found in other prog rock from that period

It's not just the words and "woodier" arrangements but more Ian Anderson's whole style of singing and presence in the songs, it makes the vocals in Yes and Genesis seem so distant and aloof in comparison.

Agree, some of Stand Up seemed to be the natural progression of English folk ballads of 3 centuries earlier.

BigFactory posted:

Aqualung in particular is a really well produced record, too.

It was a great live concert also.....

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Got tickets to see Steven Wilson in Portland this June. I'm so ridiculously excited to finally see him perform.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Got tickets to see Steven Wilson in Portland this June. I'm so ridiculously excited to finally see him perform.

And thanks to your post, same here. Holy poo poo excited.

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Have US dates been announced anywhere? Ticketmaster tells me nothing.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

WaffleStomp posted:

Have US dates been announced anywhere? Ticketmaster tells me nothing.

Got Toronto tix today.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

preordered the new Crimson live album on vinyl as the final xmas present to myself: http://www.amazon.com/Live-At-The-Orpheum-Vinyl/dp/B00QJH5QRK

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Earwicker posted:

I agree with you but then I prefer the British folk-rock sound Fairport Convention, Pentangle, Richard Thompson, etc. had going on to a lot of prog rock. :ohdear: I think both scenes were kinda shooting for the same goal but had different source material they were inspired by.

Shark Sandwich fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 4, 2015

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Noise Machine posted:

preordered the new Crimson live album on vinyl as the final xmas present to myself: http://www.amazon.com/Live-At-The-Orpheum-Vinyl/dp/B00QJH5QRK

Oh god The Letters live? I need to hear this.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Nobody Interesting posted:

Oh god The Letters live? I need to hear this.

I did! Three times! =D

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Earwicker posted:

How do you feel about Robert Wyatt? For me, he's one of the most emotional progressive musicians - there's something so pure and unaffected in the way he sings that transcends a lot of the artifice that tends to come hand in hand with prog as a whole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvBx6-YmdyI

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Rust Martialis posted:

I did! Three times! =D

Ugh. Wish they toured the UK.

Tell me it was poo poo so I feel like I didn't miss anything.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
What are some of Peter Hammill's better solo albums after the 70's? I have everything through 1979's ph7.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Nobody Interesting posted:

Ugh. Wish they toured the UK.

Tell me it was poo poo so I feel like I didn't miss anything.

Robert's dropped some big hints that they're trying to look at suitable venues in smaller cities for a UK tour in 2016

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013

The Monkey Man posted:

What are some of Peter Hammill's better solo albums after the 70's? I have everything through 1979's ph7.

Definitely get A Black Box. To me it's pretty much just a rougher, rawer version of Bowie's Low, the only album in Hammill's catalogue I rate higher is The Future Now. Patience is his best K-group effort in my opinion, some very compact and rocking songs on that one. I'm not a big fan of his late '80s and '90s output but X My Heart contains some powerful stuff that evokes the ~*~darkness~*~ of '70s VdGG pretty adequately. Thin Air is absolutely brilliant - calm but ominous, almost threatening, and the lyrics are Hammill at his best. Definitely a grower though.

If you want more of the Over-style "just a man with his piano and his sadness", get And Close as This. Incoherence is an intriguing experiment (the entire thing is a 41-minute "conversation") but I'm not 100% convinced. I don't "get" The Fall of the House of Usher but if you like opera (not rock operas, just opera) it might be your thing.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Prog Doctor posted:

I feel like a bad Steven Wilson fan. I completely forgot that he was working on a new album - it'd been so long since I'd heard any news about it.

But it's available for pre-order now.
https://www.burningshed.com/store/kscope/

I'm planning to pick up the album myself, but only after here's more than just snippets of songs or a one-minute teaser; a full single would be nice to listen to before I consider it.

On another note, I just listened to Scheherazade And Other Stories by Renaissance recently, and I was pretty darn impressed. Are there any other albums by Renaissance which are worth listening to?

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Slur posted:

On another note, I just listened to Scheherazade And Other Stories by Renaissance recently, and I was pretty darn impressed. Are there any other albums by Renaissance which are worth listening to?

Check out both Ashes are Burning and Turn of the Cards.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Slur posted:

I'm planning to pick up the album myself, but only after here's more than just snippets of songs or a one-minute teaser; a full single would be nice to listen to before I consider it.

You're in luck, he released the title track last week!

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

deadwing posted:

You're in luck, he released the title track last week!

got a link? i can only find the teaser.

Cory and Trevor
Feb 22, 2006
At long last, the footage has emerged! King Crimson miming Cat Food on Top of the Pops:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8t4lYNjS0Y

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Attitude Indicator posted:

got a link? i can only find the teaser.

It's on iTunes, people keep uploading it to YouTube though, just search for videos updated in the last 24 hours and something should pop up.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

deadwing posted:

It's on iTunes, people keep uploading it to YouTube though, just search for videos updated in the last 24 hours and something should pop up.

I just listened to it.

God, I wish I weren't poor anymore; I would be preordering the album in an instant if I could afford it.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game

Slur posted:

I just listened to it.

God, I wish I weren't poor anymore; I would be preordering the album in an instant if I could afford it.

Same here, but i'm so tempted. This week i went to look at it on the internet already 3 times!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Steven Wilson US Dates: https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net...70d&oe=5569E86A

Outside of Chicago (we get him twice!) and Madison, the Midwest and South are being typically ignored.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Steven Wilson US Dates: https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net...70d&oe=5569E86A

Outside of Chicago (we get him twice!) and Madison, the Midwest and South are being typically ignored.

More dates will be announced so I'm holding out for something closer than Madison. He played Minneapolis last year and sold it out, so I'm hoping for another round. Unfortunately he picks possibly the worst 2 weeks to come to the Midwest for me.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

So what are the good Marillion albums? I have Misplaced Childhood and I just find it kind of ugh. Even worse, I think it's one of those itunes deluxe albums with multiple extended versions of Kayleigh :barf:

I hear the first album is decent. Any other recommendations?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Seventh Arrow posted:

So what are the good Marillion albums? I have Misplaced Childhood and I just find it kind of ugh. Even worse, I think it's one of those itunes deluxe albums with multiple extended versions of Kayleigh :barf:

I hear the first album is decent. Any other recommendations?

Clutching at Straws is pretty good IIRC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Clutching at Straws is the best of the Fish-era albums, and Script for a Jester's Tear is at least decent but suffers on account of their original drummer kinda sucking. I'd rank Marbles (the full 2-disc version), Brave, and maybe Seasons End higher than any of the albums with Fish.

Avoid Fugazi, Holidays in Eden, Radiation, and Sounds That Can't Be Made.

Sincerely,
a Marillion fan who hates Misplaced Childhood

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 14, 2015