Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
While it's being brought up again, I have to say if Sketch Tales was just what was in the screenshots I might be tempted, because it looks like a bizarre children's book or a 90's Nickelodean bumper.

As a drawn to life I'm not interested. I can't draw and besides drawing on a piece of paper is more fulfilling than these kinds of games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Well, look who's finally getting a Steam page. Has a nice 60FPS preview video and everything. :waycool:

Too bad I can't review it before release.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Great Joe posted:

Well, look who's finally getting a Steam page. Has a nice 60FPS preview video and everything. :waycool:

Too bad I can't review it before release.

So should I get Distance or The Crew?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Distance, no question.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The prospects of a multiplayer community for either title are really slim at best, so just go with whichever sounds like it has the better single player.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Distance has a pretty active community already, with 160 tracks out on the Workshop.

Edit: Look, I could gush about this game all day. If you're not sure if you'll like it or not, try the prequel, it's free.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Dec 2, 2014

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The prospects of a multiplayer community for either title are really slim at best, so just go with whichever sounds like it has the better single player.

Which would be Distance already, since reportedly The Crew's single player is rear end and Distance's isn't bad.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Megazver posted:

So Sketch Tales is, uh, a sandbox procedurally generated action RPG + Drawn to Life. It's developed by some more of the former STALKER devs and the lead apparently sold his apartment to finance the prototype. poo poo, hope it works out for him.

I think this is freaking brilliant. At first it was just another low-fi minecraft/wolfenstein game, cool but we've got tons of those.

But you can draw stuff and easily import it into the game? YES. YES YES YES.

We NEED more games like that. Games where its trivially easy for people on the internet to add content.

When I was a kid all I wanted to do was make my own games and modify the games I loved, but game programming is really hard for kids/laymen and most game engines are so locked up you can't do anything even if you know how to.

I want more games that embrace user-content. The internet has more free time than your dev team ever will! (Though the quality bar is far, far lower)

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Zaphod42 posted:

I think this is freaking brilliant. At first it was just another low-fi minecraft/wolfenstein game, cool but we've got tons of those.

But you can draw stuff and easily import it into the game? YES. YES YES YES.

We NEED more games like that. Games where its trivially easy for people on the internet to add content.

When I was a kid all I wanted to do was make my own games and modify the games I loved, but game programming is really hard for kids/laymen and most game engines are so locked up you can't do anything even if you know how to.

I want more games that embrace user-content. The internet has more free time than your dev team ever will! (Though the quality bar is far, far lower)

Basically, you want a game that is populated with crude penis drawings?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
user created crude penis drawings.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Peter Molyneux says that Kickstarter is "destructive" to the quality of a game.

Pro tip: It's you. You're destructive to the quality of a game.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
"Early Access is destructive to the quality of a game. Also, please buy Godus, in Early Access. It's a fairly good game, I swear."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Uncle Jam posted:

Basically, you want a game that is populated with crude penis drawings?

I will die for your right to crude penis drawings :911: :freep:

DolphinCop posted:

user created crude penis drawings.

Mo0 posted:

Peter Molyneux says that Kickstarter is "destructive" to the quality of a game.

Pro tip: It's you. You're destructive to the quality of a game.

I don't know why people even listen to Molyneux anymore. Or how he finds work.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Dec 4, 2014

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
I bought Godus because it was on sale and I hate myself, but I really wish I just had more self-respect instead.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't know why people even listen to Molyneux anymore. Or how he finds work.
Inertia, mostly.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

quote:

In the case of Godus, 22 Cans' spiritual successor to Populous, Molyneux said supporters had a "view of what the game is going to be like" based on the Kickstarter project, which differed from what the "invest to play" game wound up becoming.

Sure, it failed to live up to Molyneux's hype like every other Molyneux game, but this time it's YOUR fault, honest.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I'd say that Molyneux is the Taylor Swift of games, but I can't because Taylor Swift is the Molyneux of music. That's how long people have been eating the millet he puts on a plate and calls fine dining.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Taylor Swift is way better at enjoyable music than Molyneux is at enjoyable games. :colbert:

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Just make another Theme Hospital already, Peter :smith:

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I do feel like in general the games that go in with a demo and are already well underway do end up being the better Kickstarter games so I think he has a point there

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
So I think that Wayward Terran Frontier: Zero Falls looks like fun and goon Scott Manley (I forget his username, it is something like szyizyg) has done a review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX4qcVY0eNc. This is how I found about it but I checked the last 3 pages and didn't see anyone talking about it, so I figured I'd post it.

The idea of the game is an RPG where you own a space station and have some resources, you build ships to go out and interact with factions and blow up enemy ships to collect more resources and money to improve your station and go through the RPG story.

It's already met its goal and first stretch target (they have ~1.5k funding from their website directly). It's pretty close to meeting some other stretch goals and still has 9 day left in funding so there's a decent chance it'll see some more goals hit.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

RottenK posted:

Just make another Theme Hospital already, Peter :smith:

Stuff like Theme Hospital, Magic Carpet and Dungeon Keeper is just so massively awesome and I'd love to know what actually brought about those kinds of games in Bullfrog's days.

Heck I don't even want more games like them, just games crafted with that sort of unique thought process that created new and exciting stuff that was just so darn fun to play at the same time.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

evilmiera posted:

Stuff like Theme Hospital, Magic Carpet and Dungeon Keeper is just so massively awesome and I'd love to know what actually brought about those kinds of games in Bullfrog's days.

Heck I don't even want more games like them, just games crafted with that sort of unique thought process that created new and exciting stuff that was just so darn fun to play at the same time.
Probably a product of their time, wacky oddball games were a hallmark of 90s british developers. Also they were made by Bullfrog as a whole, not just by sucking Molyneux's dick. Games are made by teams. This is the problem when you start attributing game success to just the guy on the ivory throne, they get lost in their own clout and you realize the grave mistake you've done.

Luckily there's always a fair amount of remakes/inspirations trying to recapture that Bullfrog magic (eg. Corsix-TH / KeeperFX for originals, War for the Overworld / Sattelite Reign for new stuff).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SupSuper posted:

Probably a product of their time, wacky oddball games were a hallmark of 90s british developers. Also they were made by Bullfrog as a whole, not just by sucking Molyneux's dick. Games are made by teams. This is the problem when you start attributing game success to just the guy on the ivory throne, they get lost in their own clout and you realize the grave mistake you've done.

See: George Lucas.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

SupSuper posted:

Luckily there's always a fair amount of remakes/inspirations trying to recapture that Bullfrog magic (eg. Corsix-TH / KeeperFX for originals, War for the Overworld / Sattelite Reign for new stuff).

Well yeah, I know teams are the real secret behind games development, just wondering what inspired them is all. Sadly we've had tons of bad clones of those games and that's sort of missing the point (though WftO and SatR look awesome), I'd just love games with that sort of "feel". Like "Here's what being an amoral manager in a wacky hospital is like" or "Here's what controlling a massive syndicate of cyborg commandos is like". Completely improbable (well, beyond being an amoral manager) but somehow possible in those games. I'm not even sure how to describe it and I guess that's the reason we aren't seeing more of that kind of game beyond possibly stuff like FTL.

Edit: vvvv Now I get it! All I have to do is forsake sleep and I too can make vidya games!

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Dec 4, 2014

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

evilmiera posted:

Well yeah, I know teams are the real secret behind games development, just wondering what inspired them is all.
If the secret message discovered in Dungeon Keeper this year is any indication? Incredibly unhealthy work/life balances.

quote:

JONTY HERE : ...I AM WRITING THIS AT 4AM ON KEEPERS LAST DAY. I LOOK AROUND THE OFFICE AND ALL I SEE ARE THE TIRED PALE FACES OF THE KEEPER TEAM. THIS PROJECT HAS DESTROYED THE HEALTH AND SOCIAL LIVES OF EACH MEMBER, SO I HOPE YOU LIKE THE GAME. AMAZINGLY AFTER SIXTEEN HOURS A DAY, 7 DAYS A WEEK, FOR NEARLY 5 MONTHS WE STILL DO. THIS GAME HAS BEEN WRITTEN WITH A PASSION I AM PROUD TO BE PART OF.... I DO NOT JUST HOPE YOU LIKE IT, I ALSO HOPE YOU ARE AWARE OF THE HUGE AMOUNT OF WORK WE HAVE ALL DONE. ENOUGH WAFFLE AND ON TO THE REASON FOR THIS TEXT... THE ENDLESS GREETINGS... GREETINGS GO OUT TO IN RANDOM ORDER... RAB C, JACOON, BUCK, SI, BARRIE, KIK, CHRIS, PROC, RUSS, RIK, ALEX NEEDS, LARRY MOOR, EMMA TEUTON - AN ALE DUE TO EACH ONE OF YOU - THE LIST GOES ON.... LOUISE GEE, MY GOOD SIS NICOLA, GEMMA, JENNY, HALEY, JO EVANS... SARAH TELFORD.. PETER AND STEVEN, AMELIA, SARAH, ISY, SALLY, MARK, MATT WOODCOCK, PAUL NETTLETON, PETE BANFORD, TOM, DAVE BANHAM, DAVE KEENS, ALISON BOSSON, MIKE LINCOLN, KIRSTY, DARREN SAWYER... AND ALL UEA NORWICH PAST AND PRESENT. NICK ARNOTT, BAVERSTOCK, SARAH BANKS, SEANY, MARK STACEY, GILEY MILEY COOKSON [WHERE ARE YOU?], STEVE CLARIDGE, DEUBERT, JAMES GREENGRASS, SIMON ONG, KEVIN RUSSELL, CLARE WRIGHTON, ELTON [GIB IS JUST A DAY AWAY], NICOLA GOULD, STEVE LAST, KEN MALCOLN, RICO, ANDY CAKEBREAD, ROBBO, CARR, AND THE LITTLE ONE, CROFTY, SCOOPER, JASON STANTON [A CUP OF COFFEE], AARON SENNA, MIKE DORELL, IAN HOWIE, HELEN THAIN, ALEX FOREST-HAY, LEE HAZELWOOD, VICKY ARNOLD, GUY SIMMONS, SHIN, VAL TAYLOR.... IF I FORGOT YOU I AM SORRY... BUT SLEEP IS DUE TO ME... AND I HAVE A DREAM TO LIVE.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That just sounds like standard game development working conditions.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Standard game development working conditions are loving terrible, so you point is?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Standard game development working conditions are loving terrible, so you point is?

My point is that standard game development working conditions are loving terrible, so you nailed it champ

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Game Devs will be alright, they let management form and run IGDA to advocate to management for them so that they don't need a union

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Can we not get into a union debate? People here are super dumb about workers' rights.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Well, he should've been clear about how feedback on his game works from the get-go. I can tell mr. Molyneux doesn't get a lot of love around here, but I still greatly respect him as a designer, and frankly it's sad to see he's relegated to mobile gaming. Not hating on mobile gaming, it's just that this guy should work on greater things. And maybe learn some modesty when talking up his own games. But you know what - I'm convinced that comes from a very sincere place, he always looked so enthusiastic about (his) game ideas... And I'm glad his kickstarter was funded, I had no idea it existed, gonna look it up.

Later Edit - Oh, snap. Read some comments on the KS page...ouch. Didn't find one positive thought about the game.

Mr Underhill fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 4, 2014

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
There is nothing special about Peter Molyneux as a game designer. ANYONE can come up with poo poo that they couldn't possibly deliver.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

SupSuper posted:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

SupSuper posted:

Very much so, the dividing line between Bullfrog and Lionhead is when you start seeing "Molyneux's" games go to hell in a fast basket.

Molyneux just sounds like a cocaine addict two lines away from a heart stroke whenever he opens his mouth these days.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Here is a lil' vidiogame that is on kickstarter right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2VuVQsCa54

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Wezlar posted:

I do feel like in general the games that go in with a demo and are already well underway do end up being the better Kickstarter games so I think he has a point there

Well, it depends. His complaint seems to be that they opened up Godus to backer's design decisions, then really regretted that.

On the one hand, of loving course random internet gamers aren't going to understand all the intricacies of game design! :doh: On the other hand, a large part of why people donate money is because they get to have a say in the game development. So you're kinda ignoring part of the draw and where the money is coming from if you're then going to turn around and say "well darn, shoulda just made the game I wanted to!"

The other side of it is that people who don't have much funding and who are working on a game because they love it are going to be (hopefully) driven to finally ship the thing some day, see a return on their efforts, and also be conservative with planning. But then you toss your halfway game on kickstarter and get a million dollars, suddenly that incentive and drive to actually ship the game is gone, its almost like you've already shipped this game that doesn't even exist yet. Now, now you're got millions, so you better add a bunch more features to this game, right? I mean you've got the money and the game would be soooooo much cooler if you just.... and that's how feature creep happens. And feature creep kills games dead.

evilmiera posted:

SupSuper posted:

This. Molyneux was just a face in the crowd on Theme Hospital and Dungeon Keeper.

Then after THOSE, he went and did the whole MOLYNEUX'S BLACK AND WHITE thing. :jerkbag:

Its the exact same as AMERICAN MCGEE PRESENTS SCRAPLAND. He was a loving level designer on doom! Its not like he came up with the core game design for doom or he was the lead programmer or anything.

I mean if you're John Carmack, or even John Romero, go ahead and put your name on the box maybe. But American McGee?
(Okay Alice was a good game, but still)

Thing is even really great designers that have the same kind of Molyneux position, like Will Wright, you don't see "Will Wright's The Sims", because those games are a huge effort by a huge team of people. But some people like Molyneux turn themselves into a marketing gimmick.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 4, 2014

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Black and White was awesome though

Shame it turned out to just be a convoluted pet raising Sim. The rest of that game was really really fun

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
*when it wasn't crashing repeatedly or having memory leaks that made the game unplayable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

This is true