Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Monaghan posted:

All right guys.

I want something big and dumb for Christmas. I haven't done a pg in about ten years. So far I've whittled it down to:

PG Strike (or Rouge, getting the pack either way)

PG MK II

PG GP-01

PG Unicorn

Give me your thoughts. Should I even risk getting the PG unicorn giving that the multitude of problems that could arise?

HGUC Neo Zeong. Or Dendrobium. Whichever plastic atrocity you prefer. Way better investments than wobbly PGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Uznare posted:

HGUC Neo Zeong. Or Dendrobium. Whichever plastic atrocity you prefer. Way better investments than wobbly PGs.

Get the 1/500 Neue Ziel and see if you can fit it into the Neo Zeong to make a Neue Zeong?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Monaghan posted:

PG Strike (or Rouge, getting the pack either way)

PG MK II

PG GP-01

PG Unicorn

That's four completely different series, which one did you enjoy the most/would enjoy the most playing around with parts as you would put it together. I take it a perfect grade is going to take "awhile" to build. Tell us what you enjoyed about seed,z gundam, stardust, unicorn!

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

The PG Strike seems quite old, does it still hold up as a good kit today? As it looks like a pretty good entry into PG being pretty cheap (well cheaper than the other PG's).

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The PG Strike is by far the best PG out there, even though it's 10 years old. It's cheap because it doesn't have silly gimmicks.

MkII and GP-01 are solid, but they have iffy proportions and some balance issues. Unicorn is looking to be surprisingly solid, but the pricetag for the full thing is absolutely insane.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Wibbleman posted:

The PG Strike seems quite old, does it still hold up as a good kit today? As it looks like a pretty good entry into PG being pretty cheap (well cheaper than the other PG's).

Don't let the age fool you. It's still the best PG made to date(pending Unicorn's quality). It makes proper use of diecast in the legs to make the Strike more stable when doing dynamic poses, the inner frame engineering is still top-notch by today's standards, and it was doing the multi-shade parts thing long before RG RX-78-2 came around.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I really wish SEED had less of a monopoly on the good kits. Its mechanical designs are just so ugly and... well... plasticky (yes, I know everything in this thread is a plastic toy, but I prefer my plastic toys to look like they're representing something more realistic or more interestingly futuristic and alien, not another, fictional plastic toy). Suits that are good to build are one thing, but you need the end result to be visually pleasing as well.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 2, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

I really wish SEED had less of a monopoly on the good kits. Its mechanical designs are just so ugly and... well... plasticky.

SEED does not have a monopoly on good kits. They're often over-stickered and ill-proportioned. The only ones comparable to the modern HG's are the HGCE Strike Gundams and the three Astray Beta/R kits. If you want some more mechanically "sound" variants of SEED Gundams, the four RG kits from SEED and Destiny are all pretty good.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

well the consensus seems to the be the strike rouge. It was what I was leaning towards as I heard it was the best one. Plus, I don't have a strike. Hopefully it turns out better than the pg wing zero, a kit that turned me off pg's for this long.

mr. stefan posted:

Of course the one time "buy a Neo Zeong" makes sense as purchasing advice happens while Dickeye is probated

Hey I'll have you know the neo zeong is on my buy list for 2015 :v:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

I really wish SEED had less of a monopoly on the good kits. Its mechanical designs are just so ugly and... well... plasticky

The original lineart was Okawara phoning it the hell in, but basically all redesigns have been great stuff. Give one of the MG vRMs a shot.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Monaghan posted:

well the consensus seems to the be the strike rouge. It was what I was leaning towards as I heard it was the best one. Plus, I don't have a strike. Hopefully it turns out better than the pg wing zero, a kit that turned me off pg's for this long.

Tell us what you like about all those series!

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

Tell us what you like about all those series!

I don't really go by series, I go by aesthetics of the suits. While I love the original gundam I'm not a big fan of a lot of designs from the show so I don't buy a lot of kits of them. I like the gp-01, Unicorn and Mk II. The pg strike has the best surface detail out of the pg's I've seen and balances it out by having a reasonable price.

Granted If I like a show a lot I'll more than likely want to buy its suits. Sometimes there's a nice matching of ugly suits and poo poo shows, *cough* age *cough*

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 2, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You shouldn't judge a toy by its commercial anyways.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Yea, you can judge the robot by the show. The characters did different things different ways. They became their gundam!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Now I've ordered Reborns, 00 Raiser and Sinanju, and I know my sister is getting me HG Zaku II at Xmas, I'm taking an extended break from gunpla after that.

Mainly because i'll have ran out of room to keep them :suicide:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

A good camera set-up really does go a long way.

In other news, Hi-Nu Gundoom is a bad kit with hilariously bad seams on the arms and gimmicks that were clearly added last minute. And I probably won't get around to fixing it until much, much later.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

In other news, Hi-Nu Gundoom is a bad kit with hilariously bad seams on the arms and gimmicks that were clearly added last minute. And I probably won't get around to fixing it until much, much later.

Yes. Yes it is. Worse, I got one of the second run where the white is actually a weird beige shade. It's currently my paint testbed where I can gently caress things up quite happily without worrying that I'm damaging a good kit. Also, the fuel tanks are weirdly fragile.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Which Hi-nu is that? I thought the new one wasn't out till feb and none of the mg's have a front skirt like that

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Hi Nu Ver ka came out a few months ago, dude. And that could be the old MG with aftermarket parts.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Ignimbrite posted:

Hi Nu Ver ka came out a few months ago, dude. And that could be the old MG with aftermarket parts.

Actually, it's Model Comprehend's 1/144 Hi-Nu "Gundoom", a plastic conversion of a resin kit.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Ignimbrite posted:

http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2014/11/hgbf-1144-hi-nu-gundam-brave-on-display_20.html

Is the new one i was referring to.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
:saddowns:

Yeah I should have recognized that gundoom, one of my gunpla buddies has one. And I completely forgot about Brave :v:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

glad I'm not the only one who had problems with those god drat arms.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I could go on and on about the flaws of the kit, but it's third party so honestly I can't really be that surprised.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The HG Powered GM Cardigan is rad as hell (why did you have to stop using it, Fumina? :(). I'm debating swapping its arms out for the Gouf R35's and then adding some R-Gyagya shield arms (when I can get one) to its sides to make maximum shield monstrosity.

But for now I've got an MG 00-Raiser box taunting me for when I get a good amount of free time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chumbler posted:

The HG Powered GM Cardigan is rad as hell (why did you have to stop using it, Fumina? :(). I'm debating swapping its arms out for the Gouf R35's and then adding some R-Gyagya shield arms (when I can get one) to its sides to make maximum shield monstrosity.

But for now I've got an MG 00-Raiser box taunting me for when I get a good amount of free time.

You want the Gunpla Battle Arm Arms, or the GM Powered Arms Powereder, and the Valuable Pod.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I feel dumb because I thought the Powered Arms Powereder and the Amazing Booster were extra parts for the kits that had them in the show (GM Cardigan and Amazing Zaku) and not just duplicates of the uniquish stuff they have, and now I've got a few extra parts for the Cardigan and a bunch of ugly rear end poo poo I'll never use because I'm not going to bolt High-Mobility Zaku legs onto another kits' shoulders.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Swagger Dagger posted:

I feel dumb because I thought the Powered Arms Powereder and the Amazing Booster were extra parts for the kits that had them in the show (GM Cardigan and Amazing Zaku) and not just duplicates of the uniquish stuff they have, and now I've got a few extra parts for the Cardigan and a bunch of ugly rear end poo poo I'll never use because I'm not going to bolt High-Mobility Zaku legs onto another kits' shoulders.
Spoiler that midseason upgrade poo poo, man. :v:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Chriiiist, HG Sinanju is an involved kit. Looks like the same amount of parts as a decent MG. And a massive sheet of stickers.

Still, probably my favourite MS ever, so I'll persevere.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The worst kits are the ones that rely on stickers to color parts.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

The worst kits are the ones that rely on stickers to color parts.

to be fair it'd be very, very difficult to get the sleeves markings in plastic form. It's more of a fault of the design then the kit itself.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, I might complain about the amount of stickers the Sinanju (and previously the Geara Zulu) have, but there'd be no practical way to get their markings using coloured parts.

Not unless they want to double the amount of parts the kit has, anyway.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You want the Gunpla Battle Arm Arms, or the GM Powered Arms Powereder, and the Valuable Pod.

The skull weapon/backpack kit has 4 extra arms too.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Bandai at least had the foresight to make the sleeves markings raised, so that doing a reverse wash or detail painting is easy as gently caress.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I finally tracked down the rest of my old Gunpla that I couldn't find from back when we moved here a few years ago! :woop:

... Man, I can't believe I forgot just how floppy the wings are on the old MG Zeta.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Just getting into this hobby after a recent vacation to Japan and buying $100 worth of Acguy kits (Jaburo combo pack, MG kit, and social edition gold HG kit). Because he is just adorable.

I think I might be insane because I absolutely love the looks of just about all the Zeon amphibious suits and want to eventually build a complete line of them.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kibner posted:

Just getting into this hobby after a recent vacation to Japan and buying $100 worth of Acguy kits (Jaburo combo pack, MG kit, and social edition gold HG kit). Because he is just adorable.

I think I might be insane because I absolutely love the looks of just about all the Zeon amphibious suits and want to eventually build a complete line of them.

Juagg centrepiece, of course?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Darth Walrus posted:

Juagg centrepiece, of course?

It will be a tough decision between that and this guy:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

You're gonna have to get Hygogg, which is great because that is a rad as gently caress design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

You're gonna have to get Hygogg, which is great because that is a rad as gently caress design.

Yup. My favorites so far are Acguy, Juaggu, Hygogg, and Z'Gok. The Gogg, Zock, and Zogok are ok. Any other Zeon suits I left out of that list?