Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrDude
Jun 23, 2011

nuru posted:

... and every mob that casts a 20 second heavy.

I believe that's a possible side effect of being hit while on a mount, that still affects you after you dismount. Supposed to discourage you from running past enemies in a game where the overworld is largely meaningless anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Just throwing a recruitment code out there for anyone thinking of signing up.

C68AHY8K

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Like, on the one hand I get the "more summons = cool" angle but jesus christ, A) there's a lot more work in a whole new summon than a QOL "Stoneskin 2" and B) do people really think there will be any actual balance to new summons? Ifrit-egi is niche as is.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

MrDude posted:

I believe that's a possible side effect of being hit while on a mount, that still affects you after you dismount. Supposed to discourage you from running past enemies in a game where the overworld is largely meaningless anyways

It's exactly this. Problem is, I could pull every drat thing in the sylphlands onto me at once and still not be meaningfully threatened. The heavy doesn't make travel more dangerous, just more tedious.

If they set it so the heavy only applies if you take X amount of your max HP in one hit, that'd be one thing and still make it unwise to ride past higher level enemies. This "you took 30 damage, enjoy your 20 40 60 seconds of slow" poo poo is the worst.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

siotle posted:

FFXIV forum safari!
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/206446-Patch-2.45-December-9th?p=2618406#post2618406

People are saying that AOE stoneskin out of combat is not a QoL improvement and instead a balance change :psyduck:

The average FFXIV player is extremely bad at MMOs, and so this stuff happens. And it's hilarious.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
they need to add a summon that gives the summoner endless MP because as it is right now you're crippled in FCOB

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Thundarr posted:

It's exactly this. Problem is, I could pull every drat thing in the sylphlands onto me at once and still not be meaningfully threatened. The heavy doesn't make travel more dangerous, just more tedious.

If they set it so the heavy only applies if you take X amount of your max HP in one hit, that'd be one thing and still make it unwise to ride past higher level enemies. This "you took 30 damage, enjoy your 20 40 60 seconds of slow" poo poo is the worst.

Don't worry, with flying being added in the expansion heavy is being replaced with a gust of air that knocks you off your mount. :getin:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Niton posted:

For sound-detecting mobs, you can just toggle run/walk and stroll on by them at a leisurely pace! :science:

Morbols and Dullahans also fall into this category.

I realize that world mob aggro is about as dangerous as wet paper in 2.0, but it's still really nice that they kept little features like this from XI and 1.0.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Doublestep posted:

they need to add a summon that gives the summoner endless MP because as it is right now you're crippled in FCOB

What, you don't like your 200 mana energy drains at the cost of all of your fester damage?

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

nuru posted:

What, you don't like your 200 mana energy drains at the cost of all of your fester damage?

My smn just made me play ballad instead :smith: She switched to BLM because of the terrible 2.4 gear though

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
It'd actually be an interesting SMN change to have a mp regeneration egi and a burn egi. Like a 2-3 minute Astral/Umbral phase

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Moldy Taxes posted:

I realize that world mob aggro is about as dangerous as wet paper in 2.0, but it's still really nice that they kept little features like this from XI and 1.0.

I had some trouble doing beast dailies as a fresh 50. Not sure you can really expect any more than that without essentially making parts of the world off-limits to solo players.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

bonewitch posted:

My smn just made me play ballad instead :smith: She switched to BLM because of the terrible 2.4 gear though

The 2.4 gear for SMN/SCH are both just kind of mind bogglingly bad to the point that the idea of leveling BLM instead of using SMN makes sense to me sometimes.

nuru fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 4, 2014

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Doublestep posted:

They need to add a move that gives healers infinite MP.

They need to add a move that gives melee infinite TP.

This is what you sound like.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Doublestep posted:

Well they're responding to DRG problems now. Maybe SMN will be next? :unsmith:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

World enemies should aggro off you're ilevel anyway. A level 47 mob should stand there soiling his pantelettes instead of trying to get my attention when I'm riding by in i110 gear.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

AngusPodgorny posted:

Stupid newbie things that I wish I'd figured out earlier:

When you're running past a hostile monster and don't want to be noticed, run behind him. Which seems obvious but I'm used to the only factor being distance and it took forever for me to realize this.

Also, don't forget to spend the attribute points you get leveling up. Another thing I forgot until I had like 20 points saved up.

There's a built-in macro system that makes simple crafting easier. For 40 durability things like iron rings I just use (based on being low-level without many skills and crummy quest gear):
code:
/ac "Careful Synthesis" <me> 
/wait 3 
/ac "Basic Touch" <me> 
/wait 3 
/ac "Basic Touch" <me> 
/wait 3 
/ac "Master's Mend" <me> 
/wait 3 
/ac "Basic Touch" <me> 
/wait 3 
/ac "Basic Touch" <me> 
/wait 3 
/ac "Basic Touch" <me> 
/wait 3 
Related to that, I like cross-classing Careful Synthesis from weaver to eliminate randomness (and thus having to pay attention).

Check out this crafting optimizer: http://ffxiv.lokyst.net/

It's great for figuring out an optimal macro (or set of macros) for a given craft. I use it a ton.

Maus
Apr 15, 2010

VAC ban(s) on record.

nuru posted:

The 2.4 gear for SMN/SCH are both just kind of mind bogglingly bad to the point that the idea of leveling BLM instead of using SMN makes sense to me sometimes.

Why do you think 2.4 SCH gear is bad?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Belzac posted:

I'd like for Overpower to give Wrath if it hits a shitrillion dudes and for there to be a warrior Wrath ability that gives you tp so I can never stop hitting overpower. :shobon:

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Maus posted:

I don't know why people think that personally, the only thing I can imagine is that its harder to avoid piety than before, but speaking from experience in final coil I'm pretty happy with the extra piety. I guess your critical rate doesn't grow all that much either.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Belzac posted:

fracture yourself off of a cliff

e: i would love to see where "i want to not be a useless caster 5 minutes into a fight and be self-sufficient like the other ranged magic damage class, black mage" = give healers infinite mp

Doublestep fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 4, 2014

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

MrDude posted:

Yes, it's like a slightly less punishing mechanic than Daze from WoW (is that even in there still?). Heavy is a generic debuff though so if you are a WHM/SCH you can dismount, Esuna/Leech it off and then sprint to keep running.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

AngusPodgorny posted:

Stupid newbie things that I wish I'd figured out earlier:

When you're running past a hostile monster and don't want to be noticed, run behind him. Which seems obvious but I'm used to the only factor being distance and it took forever for me to realize this.

Also, don't forget to spend the attribute points you get leveling up. Another thing I forgot until I had like 20 points saved up.

There's a built-in macro system that makes simple crafting easier. For 40 durability things like iron rings I just use (based on being low-level without many skills and crummy quest gear):
code:
/wait 3 
/ac "Basic Touch" <me> 
/wait 3 
/ac "Basic Touch" <me> 
/wait 3 
/ac "Master's Mend" <me> 
/wait 3 
/ac "Basic Touch" <me> 
/wait 3 
/ac "Basic Touch" <me> 
/wait 3 
/ac "Basic Touch" <me> 
/wait 3 
Related to that, I like cross-classing Careful Synthesis from weaver to eliminate randomness (and thus having to pay attention).

Get Hasty Touch ASAP and use it always and forever.

(that's a stupid newbie thing that you'll wish you had figured out earlier)

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Eej posted:

Yes, it's like a slightly less punishing mechanic than Daze from WoW (is that even in there still?). Heavy is a generic debuff though so if you are a WHM/SCH you can dismount, Esuna/Leech it off and then sprint to keep running.

Daze was less annoying than heavy because it didn't last 20 goddamn seconds.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Belzac posted:

Imagine two summons on the edge of a cliff...

Agraya
Dec 15, 2009

Eej posted:

Actually in that case you can just Stoneskin or Adlo yourself beforehand and not get heavy'd at all.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Maus posted:

Smart Car posted:

I don't know why people think that personally, the only thing I can imagine is that its harder to avoid piety than before, but speaking from experience in final coil I'm pretty happy with the extra piety. I guess your critical rate doesn't grow all that much either.

It's a bit annoying because it continues the trend of putting Spell Speed on both options in a couple of slots (gloves, neck) while also having a terrible weapon and a Poetics-dominated left side (may not be a negative, depending on who you ask). At least Scholar gets extra benefit from crafted gear / relic compared to other classes. :shobon:

Doublestep posted:

It'd actually be an interesting SMN change to have a mp regeneration egi and a burn egi. Like a 2-3 minute Astral/Umbral phase

Ramuh-Egi should charge you up instead of having an autoattack :yayclod:

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
I'd much rather have tomestone pieces be BiS vs Coil because you don't have to pray weekly to hope your tomestone piece drops

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
They already hinted they'll be moving towards a token system in 3.0.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I'm comfortable with a combination of both with no tokens because it keeps you playing the content for months rather than in and out in 8 weeks or whatever. You're gonna see a whole lot more drama and lootnscoot with tokens.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

That reminds me, wow added personal loot in the latest expansion, ditching the old Need before greed stuff. Is there some equivalent to that in 14 now, or is it nbg in raids?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Get Hasty Touch ASAP and use it always and forever.

(that's a stupid newbie thing that you'll wish you had figured out earlier)
Why would you hasty in a macro? You don't need it for anything under 3 star anyways.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Niton posted:

while also having a terrible weapon

Are you talking about SCH or SMN? The SCH weapons (both Poetics and Dreadwyrm) are great. It'd be nice if it was crit/SS instead of SS/crit but at least there is crit.

Maus
Apr 15, 2010

VAC ban(s) on record.

Smart Car posted:

Yeah, that's the only thing I could think of. I've also been happy with the extra piety.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Belzac posted:

You're gonna see a whole lot more drama and lootnscoot with tokens.
Easy fix: Don't play with lovely people.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Maus posted:

For SCH it isn't really that bad (unlike SMN where people see really unhappy), but crit ends up roughly balanced with last tier and some of the slots are very questionable upgrade paths (hurray piety?), especially with the way a lot of the Dreadwyrm feels like WHM gear. But that isn't really a new problem.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Yoshi please don't add the token system because I cannot use my words like an adult and my static will blow up in a fit of rage

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
There is a difference between abusing a system and an abusable system.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Doublestep posted:

Yoshi please don't add the token system because I cannot use my words like an adult and my static will blow up in a fit of rage

They already added a token system in the expert roulette dungeons. Now if the drat drops were more consistent I could actually like it.

Seriously, only seen the loving chest piece drop once and I've done expert almost every night since patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
I hope the Heavensward coil equivalent has a system exactly like experts currently.

Ilvl 200 gear or Dravarian Cashmere Fleece

• Locked thread