Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

There are no "pure stylists" good enough to reach high level MMA, because there isn't a perfect martial art. The early UFCs and the even earlier vale tudo matches demonstrated that most of the martial arts around aren't any good in a fight against a skilled opponent. The top-tier arts were brazilian jiujitsu, judo, wrestling, boxing, kickboxing/muay thai and sambo. Everything else (mostly) disappeared through natural selection. The practitioners of those top-tier arts started cross training in one another's styles to produce what we have today. There is still plenty of variation between styles within MMA, but it's not as obvious to the untrained eye.

But even those top tier styles? If you came in being good at one art and having no knowledge of the others (these days) you would get wrecked. A muay thai guy would become worthless the moment he was tackled, a BJJ guy would probably be punched unconscious before he even got within grabbing range. They'd be 30 second fights.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Closest in modern times I would say is Rousey because of her judo but then she just went and KOed two women at the start of a fight so she doesn't even really count anymore.

Her judo is still adapted to work no-gi out of the muay thai clinch, so it's a pretty wild variation from competitive judo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Roger gracie got to a fairly high level in mma despite seemingly not knowing a single thing about anything but bjj with the gi. He was of course world class in bjj. Duane ludwig hung around for awhile despite being just a pretty good muay thai guy, and had no real ground game and was super chinny. I feel like there are always some fringe ufc level heavyweights who really only know how to wrestle, but now that death gultch is gone it seems like so are they

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Sorry, "super chinny", do you mean he has a glass jaw? I can't keep up with all this slang you young ruffians use :corsair:

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Memento posted:

Sorry, "super chinny", do you mean he has a glass jaw? I can't keep up with all this slang you young ruffians use :corsair:

yes

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Memento posted:

I meant that yes. But perhaps its a bit of an overstatement. Lidwigs chin was certainly not good, but it seemed worse because he was very hittable amd dove into some big shots on a regular basis

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Smoking Crow posted:

I'm sorry if this shows my ignorance, but to me at least, all MMA guys look like they fight with exactly the same style. Am I dumb or are there pure fighters, like ones who just do judo, BJJ, Muay Thai, etc. like in the old days?

Lots of the top fighters do come from differing disciplines, but like 2 decades of MMA have kind of distilled what is and isn't effective offense and the championship level fighters do tend to do similar things.

What makes MMA cool is how different fighters put together different styles of fighting based on the same general blueprint.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
However some of those weird old moves are coming back.

Now that the fundamentals are pretty locked in I think we will start seeing styles that are more diversified as fighters look to surprise or innovate.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
LYOTO MACHIDA

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 28, 2014

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HddMSKn7s3s

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Did he snap his poo poo up?? Oww

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Why would you go for a leglock on Masakazu loving Imanari, let alone while wearing shoes

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I would be afraid to ever put my foot anywhere near him regardless of my amount of clothing.

I couldn't find the video of him destroying some poor fella in the bathhouse. :smith:

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Nice! posted:

I would be afraid to ever put my foot anywhere near him regardless of my amount of clothing.

I couldn't find the video of him destroying some poor fella in the bathhouse. :smith:

That was a triangle choke, because I know that's my go-to submission when I'm naked.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
If anybody lives near Vegas, the Cliff Keen Invitational, the biggest college wrestling tournament outside of NCAAs in March, is happening there this weekend. There's around 30 teams and half the ranked wrestler in D-1 will be there. FloWrestling will be doing a stream but you have to subscribe.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Dec 4, 2014

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

[Rousey's] judo is still adapted to work no-gi out of the muay thai clinch, so it's a pretty wild variation from competitive judo.

What she uses most of the time isn't exactly a thai clinch, more of an over-under. Here's a gif of her tossing Miesha Tate, you can see she has Miesha's left arm isolated:

That's pretty much her favorite grip for MMA, and it seems like a fairly straightforward adaptation of judo. Ronda wants to control that arm, which in judo she would accomplish by gripping the sleeve. With no gi to grab she instead links her hands by getting a collar with her left arm and an underhook with her right, and if she links her hands then she almost always hits a huge throw immediately. IIRC in the McMann fight, McMann recognized the threat and stopped Ronda from getting the underhook, but her body was exposed to knee strikes. Another judo oddity in Ronda's game is her preference for the scarf hold on the ground.

So I would say Ronda was successful as a judo stylist even before her striking and BJJ caught up but that comes down to
(A) she's really amazingly good at judo, one of the very best in the whole world
(B) her personal style of judo was unusual and probably a better fit for MMA than the norm
(C) she's stronger and more athletic than almost anybody in WMMA
(D) her schedule is weak because WMMA was/is new and many fighters aren't that good

Absent any of those things she might have had a career that looked more like Hidehiko Yoshida's.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

EvanSchenck posted:

Absent any of those things she might have had a career that looked more like Hidehiko Yoshida's.

To be fair, Ronda also went directly from Judo to MMA while still in her athletic prime and competing at her best weight, neither of which was remotely true of Yoshida.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
She also isn't wearing a gi.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Too bad, I would love to see Goldberg and Rogan re-enact this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJaHmG66GVU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Mr. Pool posted:

Did he snap his poo poo up?? Oww

Am I so bad at leg locks I can't recognize it was that straight ankle attempt very bad? It looked loose and imprecise, especially not tucking his own feet. Fatherdog I need a ruling.

Also I know Imanari is a pro and grappling doesn't need to be nice but that seemed a little ruthless for sparring. Especially when the other guy looked like he wasn't a great leg stacker. Was there context here or is Imanari just a torquino level crazy person.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Xguard86 posted:

Am I so bad at leg locks I can't recognize it was that straight ankle attempt very bad? It looked loose and imprecise, especially not tucking his own feet. Fatherdog I need a ruling.

Also I know Imanari is a pro and grappling doesn't need to be nice but that seemed a little ruthless for sparring. Especially when the other guy looked like he wasn't a great leg stacker. Was there context here or is Imanari just a torquino level crazy person.

Yes, that ankle lock attempt was total dogshit. He sat straight back on his rear end and wasn't using his thighs or the reap (or a grapevine) to control the leg he was attacking. You want to be on your side or even go over the free leg to belly-down so that they can't peel your reap and stack you. Imanari didn't even bother to peel, he just heel hooked it. Then of course the guy made the heel hook worse by going for a leg knot (that his free leg would have been blocked from locking in anyway) instead of recognizing his bad situation and defending properly.

I don't think Imanari injured the guy though, joints crack under strain all the time like knuckles crack, if it was a tendon snapping the dude would have been in a lot more pain. Still, there's a reason heel hooks tend to be catch-and-release in sparring at a lot of places.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 4, 2014

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

Was there context here or is Imanari just a torquino level crazy person.

Was that story about him not being allowed in the States due to being too loving crazy for the customs officials true?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Yes, that ankle lock attempt was total dogshit. He sat straight back on his rear end and wasn't using his thighs or the reap (or a grapevine) to control the leg he was attacking. You want to be on your side or even go over the free leg to belly-down so that they can't peel your reap and stack you.

Actually sitting straight back on your rear end is a perfectly legitimate way to leglock (I actually prefer it to rolling on the side in a lot of ways) but he didn't sit straight back on his rear end; he fell straight onto his back which is a terrible idea for nearly any situation. And the fact that as soon as Imanari pushed his foot his knee flared straight out to the side indicates he was applying zero pressure with his legs to have any control, as you said.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

fatherdog posted:

Actually sitting straight back on your rear end is a perfectly legitimate way to leglock (I actually prefer it to rolling on the side in a lot of ways) but he didn't sit straight back on his rear end; he fell straight onto his back which is a terrible idea for nearly any situation. And the fact that as soon as Imanari pushed his foot his knee flared straight out to the side indicates he was applying zero pressure with his legs to have any control, as you said.

Yeah, should have clarified that if you go down to the mat on a straight ankle lock you want to be on a hip or belly-down rather then on your butt. Working leglocks from a more sitting position is its own thing.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Tezcatlipoca posted:

PRIDE NEVER DIE

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
Today's lesson at BJJ was getting a rear clinch -> rear takedown -> modified/full mount -> get twisting arm control -> back take if they go to their knees, armbar if they stay on their back

I really like this control and it seemed very intuitive. I'm 90% sure my siblings did some less technical version of twisting arm control on me as a kid so the muscle memory was already there. :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVPb7BQq2as

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Mr. Pool posted:

Today's lesson at BJJ was getting a rear clinch -> rear takedown -> modified/full mount -> get twisting arm control -> back take if they go to their knees, armbar if they stay on their back

I really like this control and it seemed very intuitive. I'm 90% sure my siblings did some less technical version of twisting arm control on me as a kid so the muscle memory was already there. :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVPb7BQq2as

You can also use that control to set up an arm-triangle. And it's possible to force the back take if that's what you want. I was taught to bring my other hand under for a kimura grip (just with the head inside) for increased control, but it was always pointed out that this was mainly for non-striking situations. With strikes, the one handed variation is more useful. Usually see that called the "gift wrap".

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So I roll today for the first time, really.

In previous fundamental classes it'd be drilling, then a little positional sparring at the end, in short bursts. That's been alright but today was a different level. Full hour pretty much of rolling with a mixed group (mostly blues, I think). Loved every minute of it. It was fairly exhausting but I'm in decent shape so I held my own well, even though it was all about gaining experiences. Subs were allowed for the first time... ah it was so good. Pity I can only go to this particularly class once every 4 weeks (work) because it was a different level.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Sprecherscrow posted:

You can also use that control to set up an arm-triangle. And it's possible to force the back take if that's what you want. I was taught to bring my other hand under for a kimura grip (just with the head inside) for increased control, but it was always pointed out that this was mainly for non-striking situations. With strikes, the one handed variation is more useful. Usually see that called the "gift wrap".

The cobra clutch?

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
The gift wrap is a really strong control. The Gracie school where I live teaches their guys to just go straight for it as soon as they can, and it seems to help them pass/mount/backtake/arm triangle/armbar very easily. What's the best defense? I usually try to slip my other hand in and lift the elbow over my head to try to pop the arm off, but it still leaves me in a pretty vulnerable position.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Ikantski posted:

The cobra clutch?

Nah, Sarge puts his hand up over the shoulder like a half nelson, for the full gift wrap you'd grab your own wrist.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Ikantski posted:

The cobra clutch?

dem sequins tho

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Because of a fairly significant health problem with my brain, I'm not going to be able to do Jiu Jitsu until a neurosurgeon tells me it's alright. This means I'm out of Jiu Jitsu until the second week of January if not forever. Luckily, my coach is very supportive of my trying capoeira, which is huge at my gym. Does anyone here have experience with it? I'm curious what peoples experience around here would be.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Captain Log posted:

Because of a fairly significant health problem with my brain, I'm not going to be able to do Jiu Jitsu until a neurosurgeon tells me it's alright. This means I'm out of Jiu Jitsu until the second week of January if not forever. Luckily, my coach is very supportive of my trying capoeira, which is huge at my gym. Does anyone here have experience with it? I'm curious what peoples experience around here would be.

My understanding is that everybody fucks everybody.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Dangersim posted:

My understanding is that everybody fucks everybody.

It does have a weird brazil cult vibe but if it ultimately leads to happy people dancing around and loving, I'm down.

When I was in Germany my friend was way the gently caress into capoeira. It was years ago and they knew me as the MMA guy. Being the guy watching a bunch of Germans do capoeira in the middle of Frankfurt was pretty odd. They kept saying, "come on try it!" And I kept thinking. "Backflipping onto my head in Germany is probably a bad idea.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Capoeira looks like a lot of fun if nothing else, but I hope you like singing.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Capoeira looks like a lot of fun if nothing else, but I hope you like singing.

God damnit

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I have this documentary about capoeria you should watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFaB9Ess3wU

If you need the abbreviated version, here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj-VHOp2myk

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

capoeria is super cool but yeah you have to do the singing and instruments to do the art, it has super strong cultural roots so they insist you do the full package. I did it for a bit when we had a bjj black belt who was also a capo mestre (whatever the word for teacher is) stay at our school for a time.

I wish I had done that instead of TKD back as a kid then maybe I would have rhythm today.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Does anybody know much about the Gracie Academy/University online testing stuff and/or has anybody rolled with somebody who got their blue belt through the internet and where they were at compared to other people you've rolled with?

Seems strange that they're giving out belts to people they've never met or seen roll based on kata type stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Knowing Rorion it doesn't sound strange at all.