Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

I Love You! posted:

Lol is this a serious troll attempt or do you actually take the side of manchildren throwing temper tantrums at casual events to the point of upsetting nearby tables

you should really learn to read. if your opponent is being a dumb poo poo, call the judge. don't do stupid stuff to placate their stupidity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Spiderdrake posted:

And they'll probably complain you're doing it wrong and so-and-so on the pro tour blah blah

Come on man, KIBLER CUPS THE BALLS WHAT IS THIS SCRUB TIER poo poo?!?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

What's the story with people being allowed to make card noise anyway? Like how did that become a standard psyche-out model instead of just something where you call the judge and say "he's spending all of my turn ruffling his cards around like the spokes of a 10-speed." How is that okay but making a continuous low-volume "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" noise during their turn is apparently being disruptive?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Rules question: if I'm playing bogles, and I block a creature with infect, how does that interact with totem armor. I know I fect deals damage in -1/-1 counters, but totem armor says to remove all damage, would it remove all the -1/-1 counters or no?

Double question: how does totem armor interact with engineered explosives (assuming creature and totem aura have the same cc)??

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Infect reads "this creature deals damage to creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters."

If totem armor removes all damage, it should ignore infect damage.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mezzanon posted:

Rules question: if I'm playing bogles, and I block a creature with infect, how does that interact with totem armor. I know I fect deals damage in -1/-1 counters, but totem armor says to remove all damage, would it remove all the -1/-1 counters or no?

Double question: how does totem armor interact with engineered explosives (assuming creature and totem aura have the same cc)??

#1: Nope. You are boned. The -1/-1 counters stay.

#2: You get the dude back.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

theironjef posted:

What's the story with people being allowed to make card noise anyway? Like how did that become a standard psyche-out model instead of just something where you call the judge and say "he's spending all of my turn ruffling his cards around like the spokes of a 10-speed." How is that okay but making a continuous low-volume "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" noise during their turn is apparently being disruptive?

Flicking cards is only necessary because people play so slowly.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Can't remember who it was here that won a PT invite, I love you? but mtgprice just tweeted they are interested in sponsoring one or two people on a PT. May want to send an email to webmaster@mtgprice.com

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

jassi007 posted:

Can't remember who it was here that won a PT invite, I love you? but mtgprice just tweeted they are interested in sponsoring one or two people on a PT. May want to send an email to webmaster@mtgprice.com

Sure, will do and thanks for the heads up. Though I'm sure I don't count as a pro at this stage, I'll at least take them up on 50 bux and a playmat if nothing else.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I Love You! posted:

Sure, will do and thanks for the heads up. Though I'm sure I don't count as a pro at this stage, I'll at least take them up on 50 bux and a playmat if nothing else.

You'll probably at least get a doofy t-shirt that they'll make you wear.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
I'm stuck at work with only my phone. How is Chapin doing? I saw he got at least 1 loss, is he still in the running for top-4?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

After a perfect day 1, Chapin went 1-2 in the KTK draft and 2-2 in standard. He is in the top 4 along with Yuuya Watanabe, Kentaro Yamamoto, and Shahar Shenhar.

Chapin: keeping the hopes of a country alive. :patriot:

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
So someone might have managed to get their hands on the modo shuffler code. They claim to have decompiled the program. The short version is that the shuffler isn't actually random, which would confirm the "modo is terrible" theory.

We don't actually know if this is really the shuffler code, but if it is, that's pretty bad.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Minority Deport posted:

So someone might have managed to get their hands on the modo shuffler code. They claim to have decompiled the program. The short version is that the shuffler isn't actually random, which would confirm the "modo is terrible" theory.

We don't actually know if this is really the shuffler code, but if it is, that's pretty bad.

Oh, you mean that thing I've already confirmed every time I try to draft online and end each game having drawn twice as many lands as non-lands?

Yeah, I already knew that. :smuggo:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Minority Deport posted:

I'd say there's no way they'd do shuffling on the client without validating it on the server, but it is mtgo that we're talking about....

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 4, 2014

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Uh if that's the algorithm they are actually using for online play MTGO is a complete sham, that's hilarious

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is testing it feasible? (W/ special lone card + lands decks, or whatever)

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Rinkles posted:

Is testing it feasible? (W/ special lone card + lands decks, or whatever)

Yes, you could technically determine the most and least likely hands, build a casual deck with unique cards (is there a minimum card count for casual games?) then join games against another person, concede, repeat over and over.

The main issue is determining how it loads the initial deck order into the shuffler (which has a major impact upon the results) so you'd know exactly what to look for and save a LITTLE time establising a huge monte carlo distribution. Since any deck of X cards in Y order is going to have the same relative biased distribution pattern based on that algorithm it wouldn't hurt to have a starting point to be on the lookout for, I suppose.

But at the end of the day the easiest way to verify this would be for someone to check the MODO server code at WotC. If this is the algorithm they are using, the shuffler is far from random.

Literally you will have results up to 2-3x as likely as other results with that code, ughhhhhhhhh

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
What I don't get is it isn't like programming a proper random shuffling algorithm requires any skill. You can just Google extremely well known, accepted methods for getting this done.

I should probably preface with "assuming this random reddit guy isn't just trolling us".

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

MiddleEastBeast posted:

What I don't get is it isn't like programming a proper random shuffling algorithm requires any skill. You can just Google extremely well known, accepted methods for getting this done.

I should probably preface with "assuming this random reddit guy isn't just trolling us".

If he is it's AWESOME

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

MiddleEastBeast posted:

The hilarious thing is that it's plausible he's not

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

forbidden lesbian posted:

The hilarious thing is people throw piles of money at a product that could be plausibly described in these terms

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Imagine if WOTC made a kickstarter for mtgo - bets on how much more they'll make over star citizen? :allears:

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
Your deck is loaded in the same way at the begining of each game before the shuffler, you used to be able to determine what it was by starting a game, and opponent conceding match before deciding who is playing and drawing. Don't know if it still works that way.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Tonetta posted:

Your deck is loaded in the same way at the begining of each game before the shuffler, you used to be able to determine what it was by starting a game, and opponent conceding match before deciding who is playing and drawing. Don't know if it still works that way.

It does, I believe.

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug
Jesus Christ people wizards is not dumb enough to do shuffling on the client that is literally the least believable possible 'mtgo is awful' story ever told

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Someone on the reddit pointed out that code is probably just used to generate sample hands in the deck editor. Presumably the actual shuffler would be server side and not in the clients code.

It is MTGO though, so who knows.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

tgijsola posted:

Jesus Christ people wizards is not dumb enough to

This is not how I would begin a sentence

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

forbidden lesbian posted:

I'm also like "wait, how did he get the variable names since surely they obfuscated the production C# cod-...oh wait, MODO."

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Wadjamaloo posted:

Someone on the reddit pointed out that code is probably just used to generate sample hands in the deck editor. Presumably the actual shuffler would be server side and not in the clients code.

It is MTGO though, so who knows.

The Shuffle method they found is used in only one place. It's used when you right-click a deck, go to Properties, and then go to Sample Hand. It's bad code, and it would be a travesty if this implementation was used for games. You could find the state of your deck and your next draws based on your opening hand.

code:
public ICommand DrawNewHandButtonClick
{
    get
    {
        return (ICommand) this.m_drawNewHandButtonClick ?? (ICommand) (this.m_drawNewHandButtonClick = new RelayCommand(new Action(this.DrawNewHand)));
    }
}

private void DrawNewHand()
{
    this.Shuffle();
    this.m_mulligan = 0;
    this.SampleHandLayoutModel.CardSorter.Clear();
    for (int index = 0; index < 7 && index < this.m_library.Count; ++index)
    {
        this.SampleHandLayoutModel.CardSorter.LoadCard(new DetailsViewModel().Initialize(
            (ICardDefinition) Enumerable.ElementAt<ILegalOwnedCard>((IEnumerable<ILegalOwnedCard>) this.m_library, index), true, (ILegalOwnedCard) null),
            (ICardSorterViewModel) null);
        this.OnPropertyChanged("SampleHandLayoutModel");
    }
}

private void Shuffle()
{
    Random random = new Random();
    for (int index1 = 0; index1 < this.m_library.Count; ++index1)
    {
        int index2 = random.Next(this.m_library.Count);
        ILegalOwnedCard legalOwnedCard = Enumerable.ElementAt((IEnumerable) this.m_library, index1);
        this.m_library.RemoveAt(index1);
        this.m_library.Insert(index2, legalOwnedCard);
    }
}

Applebees fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 4, 2014

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

So interesting side note here. If the MTGO client can be easily decompiled and read, couldn't someone or a group of someone's use it to make a fixed or better version of the MTGO client?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

toadee posted:

So interesting side note here. If the MTGO client can be easily decompiled and read, couldn't someone or a group of someone's use it to make a fixed or better version of the MTGO client?

There are certainly some client-side issues (there's a huge memory leak somewhere, at the very least), but most of the issues are server-side with retrieving collections and handling big tournaments and such. The actual mechanics of the client are pretty decent and don't really have any problems, it's the engine that's tracking the game state or handling tournament pairings and all that jazz.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

quote:

@SouthPark

After Kenny’s performance in #CockMagic, he was officially invited to play on the Magic “Pro Tour”. Check it out:

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
What's the deal with the excessive amount of italian legends cards I see on ebay and other places? Was legends printed super heavy in italian? Does it negatively affect prices?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

What's the deal with the excessive amount of italian legends cards I see on ebay and other places? Was legends printed super heavy in italian? Does it negatively affect prices?

Yes and yes.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
While putzing through Wal-Mart earlier I was a little surprised to see that they had the red Commander '14 deck in stock. Is that still the go-to deck for value this time around? I'm tempted to pick one up either for myself since it has a number of cards I'm looking for, or to give to a friend for Christmas since he wants to play EDH but doesn't have much cash to spare on it. They also had the black one, which I know isn't nearly as valuable but I remember liking it when it got spoiled and I no longer have an EDH deck with black in it. Has anyone played with either of these?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

C-Euro posted:

While putzing through Wal-Mart earlier I was a little surprised to see that they had the red Commander '14 deck in stock. Is that still the go-to deck for value this time around? I'm tempted to pick one up either for myself since it has a number of cards I'm looking for, or to give to a friend for Christmas since he wants to play EDH but doesn't have much cash to spare on it. They also had the black one, which I know isn't nearly as valuable but I remember liking it when it got spoiled and I no longer have an EDH deck with black in it. Has anyone played with either of these?

White and Red are the value decks, and from what I have heard the black one is pretty good to play right out of the box.

e - http://www.twitch.tv/oarsman79 Joe is playing miracles against Brad Nelson who is playing a jeskai ascendency legacy deck.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Bugsy posted:

e - http://www.twitch.tv/oarsman79 Joe is playing miracles against Brad Nelson who is playing a jeskai ascendency legacy deck.

Oh god. This caught on already? Does it look like this?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

suicidesteve posted:

Oh god. This caught on already? Does it look like this?

It looked like the same list, but I only caught half of g2 and all of g3.

e- and now Joe is playing against Rich Shay playing the same deck.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Speaking of Mr. Lossett, he is now playing against the Rich Shay, who is (probably) definitely on the same deck!

Niton fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 4, 2014

• Locked thread