Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

alcharagia posted:

Dynamite Headdy

Maybe I should clarify that I own all of the Genesis games that were tossed up on Steam thanks to sales making them cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Maybe I should clarify that I own all of the Genesis games that were tossed up on Steam thanks to sales making them cheap.

Dynamite Headdy is on Steam?!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

alcharagia posted:

Dynamite Headdy is on Steam?!

It's 3 bucks.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

ChaosArgate posted:

It's 3 bucks.

WHAT

oh, in other enws, i'm also going to recommend castlevania rondo of blood

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Speaking of Wii VC, I've got 1200 points still on there, barring any N64 games (Because I own most of them already) what would be some personal goon recommendations?

Chrono Trigger or FF6. Or get two other classic controllers and two friends and play Secret of Mana.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

alcharagia posted:

WHAT

http://store.steampowered.com/app/211201/?snr=1_7_15__13

Here you go.

Also I'm seconding that recommendation.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

alcharagia posted:

WHAT

I've been considering that one since I'd like to play it on a bigger screen than my vita. But at the same time I do have it on my Vita.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Chrono Trigger or FF6. Or get two other classic controllers and two friends and play Secret of Mana.

I've had the DS version of CT for some time now, FF6 is another one I've been looking at (and hell once square gets off their asses and ports it to Wii U I'll get a cheapo upgrade.)

Secret of Mana sounds like it could be fun, but if its more fun with two people I can't really do that since I don't have anybody to really play that with.

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 4, 2014

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Startropics 2: Zoda's Revenge

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I've been considering that one since I'd like to play it on a bigger screen than my vita. But at the same time I do have it on my Vita.

Don't bother with RoB then because you have the best version. Do you have Muscle March? It's not VC but it's Wiiware and it's very enjoyable for 500 points.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

alcharagia posted:

Startropics 2: Zoda's Revenge

Picked that up when it went on Club Nintendo (Also got the First Startropics back when they gave away a free NES game for people who bought the internet browser)

Muscle March, haven't heard of it, I'll look into it.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Literally all the Kirby games

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

alcharagia posted:

Literally all the Kirby games

I own literally all the Kirby games, some even multiples of (except for Star Stacker on 3DS and Avalanche but its just Puyo Puyo anyway).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I like the Konami/M2 Rebirth games for WiiWare: Gradius, Contra, Castlevania.

There hasn't been any word on Neo-Geo stuff coming to Wii U, so maybe that library is worth a look. No Windjammers, no Twinkle Star Sprites, but most of the big games showed up eventually.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Speaking of Wii VC, I've got 1200 points still on there, barring any N64 games (Because I own most of them already) what would be some personal goon recommendations?

Bio Miracle: Bokutte Upa is a pretty neat NES platformer where you play a baby that beats enemies with its rattle until they inflate for you to ride as platforms or send flying into other enemies.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RMZXAnarchy posted:

The NES Burgertime is a really good version of that game.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Toejam and Earl but only if you have someone willing to co op with you

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of December 4):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Sonic Boom (demo)
WII U eSHOP
    Cake Ninja 3 - €4.99 / £4.49
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Crash 'n The Boys: Street Challenge (NES, US ver.) - €4.99 / £3.49
    S.C.A.T. (NES, US ver.) - €4.99 / £3.49
    Shadow of the Ninja (NES, US ver.) - €4.99 / £3.49
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Own Shovel Knight on 3DS, get the Wii U version for 33% off! - runs until January 1
    BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (Wii U eShop) - €3.99 / £3.33 until December 11
    Epic Mickey 2 (Wii U) - €17.99 / £14.99 until December 11
    Ducktales Remastered (Wii U) - €7.49 / £5.99 until December 11
    99seconds (Wii U eShop) - €1.49 / £1.34 until December 25
    Abyss (Wii U eShop) - €1.49 / £1.34 until December 25
    Fit Music for Wii U (Wii U) - €14.90 / £12.40 until January 30
    Luv Me Buddies Wonderland (Wii U) - €14.90 / £12.40 until January 30

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    WRC FIA World Rally Championship The Official Game - €34.99 / £29.99
    Riding Star 3D - €29.99 / £24.99
    Survivor: Heroes (demo)
3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    The Legend of Dark Witch - Chronicle 2D ACT - €3.99 / £3.49
    Christmas Wonderland 4 - €4.99 / £4.49
    MindFeud - €4.99 / £4.49
    Steel Diver Sub Wars (version 4.0 update)
    Urban Trial Freestyle (demo)
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    Shin Megami Tensei IV DLC
  • Radiant Equipment - €0.99 / £0.75
  • For The Past... For The Future - €1.99 / £1.59
    Persona Q DLC
  • Sub-Persona: Orpheus Telos (free!)
  • Sub-Persona: Magatsu-Izanagi - €1.99 / £1.79
  • Sub-Persona: Thanatos – €1.99 / £1.79
3DS MENU THEMES
    A Merry Mario Holiday - €1.99 / £1.79
    Animal Crossing New Leaf: Jingle's Toy Day - €1.99 / £1.79
    Amy Rose Theme - €1.99 / £1.79
    Chao Theme - €1.99 / £1.79
    Sonic the Hedgehog Theme - €1.99 / £1.79
    Shadow the Hedgehog Theme - €1.99 / £1.79
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    S.C.A.T. (NES) - €4.99 / £3.49
    Shadow of the Ninja (NES) - €4.99 / £3.49
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Own Shovel Knight on Wii U, get the 3DS version for 33% off! - runs until January 1
    AiRace Xeno (3DS eShop) - €1.69 / £1.59 until December 11
    Farming Simulator 2014 (3DS eShop) - €19.99 / £12.99 until December 11
    The Keep (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.49 until December 11
    Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion (3DS eShop) - €9.99 / £8.89 until December 11
    Crash City Mayhem (3DS) - €7.99 / £6.99 until December 18
    Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor Overclocked (3DS eShop) - €11.99 / £9.99 until December 18

NA update (week of December 4):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (December 5) - $39.99
    Sonic Boom (demo)
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Fire Emblem (GBA) - $7.99
    Lode Runner (NES) - $4.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Paper Monsters Recut (Wii U eShop) - $3.99 until December 5
    Epic Mickey 2 (Wii U) - "on sale" until December 8
    Disney Planes (Wii U) - "on sale" until December 8
    99seconds (Wii U eShop) - $1.49 until December 26
    ZaciSa's Last Stand (Wii U eShop) - $1.49 until January 7

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Ultimate NES Remix (December 5) - $29.99
    Disney Violetta: Rhythm & Music - $29.99
3DS eSHOP
    Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy (December 9) - $29.99
    Christmas Wonderland 4 - $9.99
    Steel Diver Sub Wars (version 4.0 update)
3DS MENU THEMES
    nintendogs+cats Theme - free for digital owners of nintendogs+cats, available until December 31 2015
    Famicom Theme - free to owners of Ultimate NES Remix, expires December 5 2015
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Disney Planes (3DS) - "on sale" until December 8
    Big Hero 6: Battle in the Bay (3DS) - $19.99 until December 10
    Disney Frozen: Olaf's Quest (3DS) - $19.99 until December 10
    Farming Simulator 3D (3DS) - $4.99 until December 11
    Farming Simulator 14 (3DS) - $19.99 until December 11
    Azure Striker Gunvolt (3DS eShop) - $9.99 until December 15
    Code of Princess (3DS) - $14.99 until 15
    Conception 2: Children of the Seven Stars (3DS) - $24.99 until December 15
    Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor Overclocked (3DS) - $14.99 until December 15
    AeternoBlade (3DS eShop) - $7.99 from December 5-19
    Etrian Odyssey 4 (3DS) - $14.99 from December 8-22
    Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor Soul Hackers (3DS) - $14.99 from December 8-22
    AiRace Xeno (3DS eShop) - $1.69 until December 25
CLUB NINTENDO DIGITAL REWARDS
    Clu Clu Land (Wii VC) - 200 Coins, available until December 14
    Kirby's Pinball Land (3DS VC) - 150 Coins, available until December 14
    Metroid II: Return of Samus (3DS VC) - 150 Coins, available until December 14
    Picturebook Games: Pop-Up Pursuit (WiiWare) - 250 Coins, available until December 14
    Pilotwings (Wii U VC) - 200 Coins, available until December 14
    Starship Defense (DSiWare) - 200 Coins, available until December 14
    Tokyo Crash Mobs (3DS eShop) - 200 Coins, available until December 14
    Vegas Stakes (Wii U VC) - 2O0 Coins, available until December 14

All those VC games are worth getting (yes, even S.C.A.T.).

Did anyone try Legend of Dark Witch when it came out in NA? It looked like it might be okay.

Here are the details for claiming the free theme with Ultimate NES Remix: "*For Nintendo eShop purchases, the download code for the free theme will appear on the digital Nintendo eShop receipt. For the packaged version, the code will be included on the reverse side of the game cover sleeve. Download codes are available while supplies last. Both the download codes and the offer expire on Dec. 5, 2015."

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 4, 2014

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Discount Viscount posted:

http://www.nintendolife.com/3ds-eshop/games

I don't know if they've actually covered them *all* but they're close, the most on-top-of-it of any site I know, and the list has a lot of useful filters.
Having looked at that site, is there an actual reason why all the NES/GB games seem go to the 3DS and the SNES/GBA games to the Wii U? It seems strangely arbitrary.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The 3DS can't handle SNES/GBA properly. Keyword being "properly" since it can do so to some extent and people love to bring that up and go on a huge derail why the 3DS doesn't have SNES/GBA VC titles, etc, etc. The Nu3DS model may change this, but it's too soon to tell.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
Don't know about the former but the latter is because Nintendo has yet to make a SNES/GBA emulator for 3DS that is accurate enough with good enough performance to meet their standards.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

U.T. Raptor posted:

Having looked at that site, is there an actual reason why all the NES/GB games seem go to the 3DS and the SNES/GBA games to the Wii U? It seems strangely arbitrary.

There are GBA games on 3DS. I assure you that you would not be willing to pay money for them in their current state.

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands
Wow, I had no idea it's already time for Treasure Tracker. Time to say goodbye to my free time forever.

Evil Eagle posted:

Bought Wario Land 4 with my Smash 4 digital deluxe $$$. I played it a long time ago, and noticed that hard mode is available from the start, What does hard mode change?

Aside from what was mentioned already, it also relocates just about all the door tile pieces so that you need to search for them, unlike how Normal mode tends to just drop them right on your path. It actually makes the gameplay almost completely different and much more involved.

WL4 is one of those games where I'd consider the Normal and Hard modes to be more like Easy and Normal, respectively. Very Hard is pretty darn hard, though. The bosses in that mode are virtually unbeatable without the help of Mr. Game&Watch.

Anyway, I'm basically saying my advice is to ignore Normal mode.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Artix posted:

There are GBA games on 3DS. I assure you that you would not be willing to pay money for them in their current state.

The amount of people I've seen say "The Ambassador GBA games run perfectly!" makes me want to cry.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Kaubocks posted:

The amount of people I've seen say "The Ambassador GBA games run perfectly!" makes me want to cry.

Well they do! They just don't support save states, a pause function, or even stopping the loving game when you close the 3DS to put it in sleep mode. If all you want to do is play the game, then it's perfectly fine! :downs:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Artix posted:

Well they do! They just don't support save states, a pause function, or even stopping the loving game when you close the 3DS to put it in sleep mode. If all you want to do is play the game, then it's perfectly fine! :downs:

At that point though you might as well buy a GBA SP because you're getting literally the same functionality as one.

Edit: Wait no you're getting even less because there isn't any form of multiplayer.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

SuperHappy posted:

Wow, I had no idea it's already time for Treasure Tracker. Time to say goodbye to my free time forever.

Aside from what was mentioned already, it also relocates just about all the door tile pieces so that you need to search for them, unlike how Normal mode tends to just drop them right on your path. It actually makes the gameplay almost completely different and much more involved.

WL4 is one of those games where I'd consider the Normal and Hard modes to be more like Easy and Normal, respectively. Very Hard is pretty darn hard, though. The bosses in that mode are virtually unbeatable without the help of Mr. Game&Watch.

Anyway, I'm basically saying my advice is to ignore Normal mode.

I did end up ignoring normal mode and I can't get enough of this game. I'm working on getting all of the gold crowns and I will probably do the same on S. Hard once I'm done. This is an extremely well designed platformer.

I like it so much that I ordered Wario Land Shake It which seems to have a similar structure. I hope it's half as good as Wario Land 4.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

Artix posted:

Thank you for telling me what features I want, forums user Artix and Nintendo.

I have no idea how I would manage to play WarioWare without save states!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Disargeria posted:

Thank you for telling me what features I want, forums user Artix and Nintendo.

I have no idea how I would manage to play WarioWare without save states!

Dude it's worse than that. The screen brightness in the GBA emulated games are darker than any other VC game. There's also a ton of motion blur in the GBA emulated games or at least enough that I can't stand playing them.

They're a cute novelty but pile those problems on TOP of the quality-of-life improvements Nintendo likes VC games to have (save states, sleep mode) then I absolutely would not be paying for them.

EDIT: Hell, I don't even think you can bring up the home menu without flat out closing the game!

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 4, 2014

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
They should release them so people can complain about the lack of features instead of complaining they aren't released. People need new things to complain about.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Evil Eagle posted:

I like it so much that I ordered Wario Land Shake It which seems to have a similar structure. I hope it's half as good as Wario Land 4.

Wario Land Shake It was pretty fun. Haven't played too much of 4 yet to make a solid comparison myself but 4 does remind me of it. I'd recommend Shake It regardless though.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Kaubocks posted:

EDIT: Hell, I don't even think you can bring up the home menu without flat out closing the game!

Nope, it treats them like DS games/DSiWare in that pressing the Home button will ask you if you want to close the game, and that's it.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

SuperHappy posted:

lol if you still have free time after both Smashes and Hyrule Warriors.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I like the Konami/M2 Rebirth games for WiiWare: Gradius, Contra, Castlevania.

There hasn't been any word on Neo-Geo stuff coming to Wii U, so maybe that library is worth a look. No Windjammers, no Twinkle Star Sprites, but most of the big games showed up eventually.

The Last Blade 2 is a wonderful and severely underrated fighting game.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I was under the impression that the ambassador GBA titles were using some part of the GBA part of the DS part of the 3DS and was done as sort of a hackjob. It's probably possible that they want to avoid another Wii to Wii U situation where they weren't able to transfer VC games from one system to another. Nintendo has said that in the future they want the stuff from these stores to be the same type of environment for future consoles, and it's seems like to me that instead of putting a bunch of hackjob ports out that won't work with future iterations they just want an emulator that can do it for all systems going forward. I imagine that the 3DS just isn't good enough for such an emulator.

Of course nobody actually knows why Nintendo does it this way so speculation is totally pointless!

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
While we're on the subject of VC and Wii U, where the gently caress are my N64 games?!?!?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
The DS with a Supercard DSTWO handled GBA and SNES emulation decently, though not perfectly. I sincerely doubt that the 3DS only puts out as much or just slightly more power than a DS plus the Supercard's co-processor.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Fremry posted:

While we're on the subject of VC and Wii U, where the gently caress are my N64 games?!?!?

I assume they're working on the emulator. The Wii's N64 emulator had a bunch of game specific hacks to get each title running and was supposedly a nightmare to get working.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

The DS with a Supercard DSTWO handled GBA and SNES emulation decently, though not perfectly. I sincerely doubt that the 3DS only puts out as much or just slightly more power than a DS plus the Supercard's co-processor.

The problem is using its power while also having ready access to the backend and having all the bells and whistles the other VC games have.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The sad fact is that Nintendo doesn't see much money to make so they won't make older emulation a priority. Couple that with the fact that a lot of people feel paying more than 99 cents for a ROM is a rip off, so there's even less reason for Nintendo to do much. Personally, I think their giant backlog of games spanning 30 years should be something they celebrate and push to everyone as much as possible but they think otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Picked that up when it went on Club Nintendo (Also got the First Startropics back when they gave away a free NES game for people who bought the internet browser)

Muscle March, haven't heard of it, I'll look into it.

There's no point in owning a Wii/Wii U without Muscle March.