Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yeah that's p dumb

let me bisexual for adults only, atlus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Inflammatory posted:

can i just say that i really don't like how the first question is worded?

"does age or sex matter as long as there is love" and the answers are "it doesn't matter" and "sex matters".

i'm not sure how that got through the editing process without raising any eyebrows.

It's asking if you want to date ken.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Inflammatory posted:

can i just say that i really don't like how the first question is worded?

"does age or sex matter as long as there is love" and the answers are "it doesn't matter" and "sex matters".

i'm not sure how that got through the editing process without raising any eyebrows.

Would you say that it's problematic?

(its basically asking if you like dudes)

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Just beat the game. Not sure how you're supposed to kill the final boss without abusing Myriad Arrows, although I'm sure there's a gimmick I missed. He has an unpreventable Diarahan and enough hit points that even with two Myriad Arrow spammers he fully healed once on me and was about to do it again on the turn he died. I finished the fight with two characters left alive (one of whom was guaranteed to die at the end of the turn) and the absolutely correct character got the finishing blow though, so it's all good.

Now for my Team Gottagofast NG+ run.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Len posted:

It's asking if you want to date ken.

Or Teddie, or Aigis, or Koromaru

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Manatee Cannon posted:

Actually, Aigis counts as a girl. :japan:

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
I got Teddie and he was totes down to nom on some Yu knob. Everyone in PQ acts as though their S Links were maxed and Yu just boned them all including Teddie and Yosuke. Yosuke is always referring to me as "my partner", dude, I mean it was only the tip. Not gay.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I can't believe in the 3rd dungeon that there's an FOE that can be insta-killed. That has to be a mistake, right?

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Manatee Cannon posted:

It makes sense. Koromaru's gotta be like 45 in dog years, so I don't see how you could date him if age matters.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Vengarr posted:

Would you say that it's problematic?

(its basically asking if you like dudes)

Roguelike posted:

It makes sense. Koromaru's gotta be like 45 in dog years, so I don't see how you could date him if age matters.
Yes but Koromaru is the Best Dog :3:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Team GottaGoFast is really good. I'm playing a similar setup as the one Imp mentioned a few pages back. It's just really nice.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Hah. The postgame boss shills for Etrian Odyssey.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 4, 2014

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Zurai posted:

Hah. The postgame boss shills for Etrian Odyssey.

you don't know how happy it makes me to learn that there's a postgame boss.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Inflammatory posted:

Has there ever been a Persona or EO game without one?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Vengarr posted:

I can't believe in the 3rd dungeon that there's an FOE that can be insta-killed. That has to be a mistake, right?

One of the toughest bonus bosses in EO4 is vulnerable to instant kill attacks, too. :v:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Inflammatory posted:

It exists (assuming you've been doing your requests) but it's not a big deal. No extra dungeon and it was easier for my party than the actual final boss. It's not like Elizabeth or Margaret in their respective games or the entire postgame stratum in EO games.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think someone said earlier that you don't have to walk on damage tiles to complete a floor map? Well, they're wrong. You most certainly do need to.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think someone said earlier that you don't have to walk on damage tiles to complete a floor map? Well, they're wrong. You most certainly do need to.

I don't think anyone said that. It is however completely meaningless because you get Winged Sandals in the same floor they show up on so filling it out is a minor inconvenience at best.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
so does this game ever get remotely challenging? I'm at the fourth labyrinth on risky and just got to the fourth floor and aside from the first labyrinth guardian there's been absolutely nothing that's been able to pose any threat at all. I picked risky mode for a reason :(

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
You don't have to walk on tiles that force you to fight an FOE to get to. Like if they're stationary, or if they're moving in a way that makes that tile impossible to get to without fighting it.

g0lbez posted:

so does this game ever get remotely challenging? I'm at the fourth labyrinth on risky and just got to the fourth floor and aside from the first labyrinth guardian there's been absolutely nothing that's been able to pose any threat at all. I picked risky mode for a reason :(

It's probably down there with EO4 as one of the easier games.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

EO4 is much harder, at least on normal

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

You don't have to walk on tiles that force you to fight an FOE to get to. Like if they're stationary, or if they're moving in a way that makes that tile impossible to get to without fighting it.

You also don't have to walk on any of the spiderweb tiles in the final labyrinth, at least for map completion.

Anyway, beat the two postgame quests I could find, got the two final map chests, and tried to fuse Zeus but couldn't figure out how. 69 hours, 27 minutes for the first playthrough, and I hit level 74 on my main character with the final quest turn-in. Some of that time was certainly idle, but there were also a bunch of wipes on the 1st boss and 3rd labyrinth. I also did a bit of grinding for Personas and XP off the 3rd and 4th post-dungeon bosses. I believe I did every request in the game (at least the ones available on the P4 side on the first playthrough, dunno if those change with cast/NG+ status) and have almost every map at 100%. Pretty satisfied with the experience.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 4, 2014

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Cake Attack posted:

EO4 is much harder, at least on normal

The hardest EO4 difficulty must've been perfectly tailored to me because basically every single boss fight was like this super tense ordeal that brought me down to complete SP (or whatever EO uses for MP) exhaustion with like one or two dudes left before I finally beat them.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

g0lbez posted:

Nah it's a very easy game if you've been playing EO games. Most people are in the "how broken of a party can I make" camp cause there isn't much to do aside from mess with subpersonas as far as tactics goes.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

On the last dungeon and I absolutely cannot figure out how to deal with The Reaper on floor 4. His movement gimmick places him in the perfect spot to corner me every time and if I get in a fight better pray I get lucky.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

After literally minutes of thinking this over, I've decided to name my protagonists Hideo Kojima and Hideki Kamiya. Well, hope you liked my input. Now I just need to figure out who I'm going to include in my party.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rascyc posted:

Nah it's a very easy game if you've been playing EO games. Most people are in the "how broken of a party can I make" camp cause there isn't much to do aside from mess with subpersonas as far as tactics goes.

Isn't this goons in literally any RPG ever? One of the most common complaints to pop up about Skyrim in the dragging games down thread is "it's too easy to brake it" and
goons regularly go "man that rpg is so easy because of how broken you can make your party." Goons just can't play a game and NOT try to powergame it.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Len posted:

Isn't this goons in literally any RPG ever? One of the most common complaints to pop up about Skyrim in the dragging games down thread is "it's too easy to brake it" and
goons regularly go "man that rpg is so easy because of how broken you can make your party." Goons just can't play a game and NOT try to powergame it.

I'm most definitely not "powergaming" anything here though. I used Naoto initially because of her insta kill skills and because I picked the P4 route at first, and that admittedly turned out to be gamebreaking for trash mobs. Aside from that I'm literally doing nothing to break the game, I'm never really doing more than 300 damage a turn and I don't have any crazy setups aside from Chie rocking a frost link and Kanji sometimes playing off of that. Still it's been just piss easy so far on the hardest difficulty available merely from tarundaing bosses and marakakujaing the party.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Looks like you can post screenshots with the Euro version now.

Butt Ghost posted:

After literally minutes of thinking this over, I've decided to name my protagonists Hideo Kojima and Hideki Kamiya.

I am going to steal this idea if I ever get my copy as I think I named both protags Mister Mister in P3/4.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Neither Skyrim nor Persona are hard in general. PQ is simply not a difficult game, but neither were the games it's based on.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like breaking all games.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

You probably got that mixed up with the post saying you didn't need to step on tiles with the stationary FOEs

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

On the last dungeon and I absolutely cannot figure out how to deal with The Reaper on floor 4. His movement gimmick places him in the perfect spot to corner me every time and if I get in a fight better pray I get lucky.

Can't reference my map since I'm in NG+ right now, but if there's a wall with a walkway around it nearby, try running in circles around it. That FOE can move over un-walkable floor tiles, but cannot move through walls, so most of the gimmicks with it involve putting a wall between it and you to force it to waste time moving around the wall.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Teddie is 100 times more annoying in this game than he was in P4 and I'm glad everyone snubs him at every turn.

Moldy Taxes posted:

You probably got that mixed up with the post saying you didn't need to step on tiles with the stationary FOEs

That could be.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

go downstairs and send up the left elevating piston thing so that you can't walk on it on floor 4, you should be able to outmaneuver him then by circling around it.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Strange Quark posted:

One of the toughest bonus bosses in EO4 is vulnerable to instant kill attacks, too. :v:

In fact, every game in the Etrian Odyssey series (with the possible exception of EO:U) has had at least one honest-to-god boss that's susceptible to instant death.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Thuryl posted:

In fact, every game in the Etrian Odyssey series (with the possible exception of EO:U) has had at least one honest-to-god boss that's susceptible to instant death.

To be fair, though, instant death in EO is generally a lot harder than casting a single inexpensive spell.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Len posted:

How precisely are you supposed to play RPGs if you're not building an effective team with ability synergy? Because that is literally all you need to break the game here. Not "I read a FAQ and discovered all the abilities beforehand and am using a super-tedious method that earns me 1 extra skill point" or whatever. It's "hey, wow, I used Naoto in my party and gave her a skill that boosts the hit rate of her instant death moves."

I mean other than low-level runs or whatever, that is literally the point of RPGs. That isn't powergaming, that is playing the game.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Not "I read a FAQ and discovered all the abilities beforehand and am using a super-tedious method that earns me 1 extra skill point" or whatever. It's "hey, wow, I used Naoto in my party and gave her a skill that boosts the hit rate of her instant death moves."

Did you know Impure Reach affected Hama and Mudo before reading the FAQ ie this thread?

Also, lol if you think "super-tedious method that earns me 1 extra skill point" is the more common method of breaking an RPG wide open than "building an effective team with ability synergy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Zurai posted:

Did you know Impure Reach affected Hama and Mudo before reading the FAQ ie this thread?

I didn't but it's not like Naoto wasn't absolutely dominating before then

• Locked thread