Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Zurai posted:

Did you know Impure Reach affected Hama and Mudo before reading the FAQ ie this thread?

that's a dumb argument

finding out that the game classifies instant death as a status effect is not super min maxing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zurai posted:

Did you know Impure Reach affected Hama and Mudo before reading the FAQ ie this thread?

Considering I had Impure Reach on Naoto anyway for a different reason it literally wouldn't have mattered either way. Impure Reach is a great skill even if it didn't influence Insta-kill attacks because Tentarafoo (which at least two characters naturally learn) is only just below instant death for 'wrecks random battles."

And since I'm a EO player, yes, I test moves to see how they synergize because that is a big part of playing EO.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Zurai posted:

"building an effective team with ability synergy".

the fact that this is a legit strategy that breaks the game is the issue we're discussing though

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Cake Attack posted:

that's a dumb argument

finding out that the game classifies instant death as a status effect is not super min maxing

Neither is the method to break any other standard RPG.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zurai posted:

Neither is the method to break any other standard RPG.

Haha, what?

There are plenty of RPGs which have easy methods to break them but that doesn't mean all methods are created equal. These are not high-end strategies here. They are 'basic abilities characters have."

Like even if you don't give Impure Reach to Naoto she is still game-breakingly powerful. So are the two characters who get Tentarafoo. This isn't even giving characters special abilities or anything. It's literally poo poo they get at early levels by leveling up.

It's still a fun game and I'm enjoying it but it (like the main Persona games) is easy as balls.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

There are plenty of RPGs which have easy methods to break them but that doesn't mean all methods are created equal. These are not high-end strategies here. They are 'basic abilities characters have."

Again, the strategies required to break RPGs are very, very rarely high-end or complicated. They almost always involve using basic abilities or mechanics which are just flat out overpowered. It's not exactly a secret that RPGs are basically never well-balanced mechanically.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Can you have more then one Magic Circle active at a time?

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
I felt like EOU was pretty good about not really handing you the keys to the kingdom unless you did a significant amount of grinding for grimoire stones and fusing them together which was a massive pain in the rear end (unless you used exploits). Most of the time I had a fairly difficult time overcoming most things in the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zurai posted:

Again, the strategies required to break RPGs are very, very rarely high-end or complicated. They almost always involve using basic abilities or mechanics which are just flat out overpowered. It's not exactly a secret that RPGs are basically never well-balanced mechanically.

Except, again, unless you're talking about Final Fantasy (most of which are straight-up lovely RPGs) or the like, this really isn't true. They either involve specific strategies or exploiting basic abilities/attributes in ways which tend to require foreknowledge or somewhat in-depth understanding of game mechanics. The previous EO games have some OP strategies but most of them involve smart synergy of various skills, not "hit attack button."

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Except, again, unless you're talking about Final Fantasy (most of which are straight-up lovely RPGs) or the like, this really isn't true. They either involve specific strategies or exploiting basic abilities/attributes in ways which tend to require foreknowledge or understanding of game mechanics. The previous EO games have some OP strategies but most of them involve smart synergy of various skills, not "hit attack button."

Clearly you and I play very different games then :shrug:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Len posted:

Isn't this goons in literally any RPG ever? One of the most common complaints to pop up about Skyrim in the dragging games down thread is "it's too easy to brake it" and
goons regularly go "man that rpg is so easy because of how broken you can make your party." Goons just can't play a game and NOT try to powergame it.
That's cause Skyrim is a pretty easy game, and a sandbox game at that? I mean I get what you're saying from the goon policy PoV, but this conversation was made in the context of Etrian Odyssey, where simply playing the game intelligently doesn't necessarily break it. You have to break out the skill calculators and read up on how to break it yourself usually, or just read forums and get the builds yourself.

In this one you just pick Naoto. Impure isn't even needed, it just speeds things along!

[e]oh, new page lmao

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zurai posted:

Clearly you and I play very different games then :shrug:

I play basically every RPG on the planet so probably, but I don't think I'm referencing anything particularly obscure here. Etrian Odyssey, the game that Persona Q is a psuedo-spinoff of, is an example all on its own.

And I still enjoy PQ. Creating broken builds and exploring dungeons is still fun to me. It's just a bit disappointing than it isn't even really on-par with the easier EO games. (and I don't mind easy EO games either! EO4 is probably my favorite.)

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I just equate Persona Q to SRW at this point and try not to think about it.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I play basically every RPG on the planet so probably, but I don't think I'm referencing anything particularly obscure here. Etrian Odyssey, the game that Persona Q is a psuedo-spinoff of, is an example all on its own.

And I still enjoy PQ. Creating broken builds and exploring dungeons is still fun to me. It's just a bit disappointing than it isn't even really on-par with the easier EO games. (and I don't mind easy EO games either! EO4 is probably my favorite.)

Yeah, because EO isn't utterly broken with just basic skills. Let's just forget about Immunize and Defender.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zurai posted:

Yeah, because EO isn't utterly broken with just basic skills. Let's just forget about Immunize and Defender.

Immunize was pretty powerful but it wasn't remotely in the same ballpark and even then they pulled it out of the sequel because of the strength of it. Don't get me wrong, it's a pretty overpowered skill and needed nerfs hard but it isn't in the same area as "ability you get by default."

It's a fun game. I'm enjoy it. Anyone who argues it is way too easy to break and overly easy really have a fairly legitimate gripe. The game (and Person 4, especially Golden, also has this problem) throws way too many tools at the player without giving them anything that really needs it.

Rascyc posted:

I just equate Persona Q to SRW at this point and try not to think about it.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I approach it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 4, 2014

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Dexie posted:

Can you have more then one Magic Circle active at a time?

Nah, they overwrite each other even if they're cast by different characters.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Zurai posted:

Disregard the fact that Immunize and Defender were removed afterwards and were Not Very Good Skills in EOU.

EO1's more broken than the rest of the games in general. EO2 is also pretty broken but most of the issues were just about ironed out by EO3.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
I see that I am the only one here who named his characters Jack Frost and Pyro Jack and named his 3DS Jack Bros. Alternately I considered naming them Mario Mario and Luigi Mario but I couldn't decide who was Mario and who was Luigi.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
p3 guy is definitely luigi, i don't know why you'd even consider otherwise.

edit: also, for those of you who feel that myriad arrows isn't quite stupid enough, i found hassou tobi.

Inflammatory fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 4, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Does it work like it did in P4?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
was "8 medium cut attacks against random targets" how it worked in p4?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

It was 8 light hits to every enemy so it's a little worse at crowd control now I guess

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Inflammatory posted:

was "8 medium cut attacks against random targets" how it worked in p4?

I think it was "8 light physical attacks against all targets" in 4. It's less of a trash clearer now but will still gently caress up bosses, I guess.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That makes it worse against trash mobs and potentially better against bosses, depending on how it handles that. Because that one Almighty physical move that Kaguya gets doesn't seem to hit the same enemy twice, period.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

That makes it worse against trash mobs and potentially better against bosses, depending on how it handles that. Because that one Almighty physical move that Kaguya gets doesn't seem to hit the same enemy twice, period.

Other moves still do hit multiple times. That move you're talking about is one of the few I encountered that didn't.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Inflammatory posted:

edit: also, for those of you who feel that myriad arrows isn't quite stupid enough, i found hassou tobi.

orgia mode + heat riser + heroic gemini + hassou tobi = :getin:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm on floor 9 of this final dungeon and I want to die.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Spend your time fusing broken demons and posting their QR codes. It is the only way to remain sane.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I had trouble with that floor for the longest time because I was dumb and didn't realize some of the pistons move between floors.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Strange Quark posted:

I had trouble with that floor for the longest time because I was dumb and didn't realize some of the pistons move between floors.

Yeah I figured that out a couple floors ago, been playing for the past like 2 hours and just kinda tired of the music and location. Like the music was amazing, but it's been looping forever.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Spend your time fusing broken demons and posting their QR codes. It is the only way to remain sane.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

This FOE cannot be the jump scare people were talking about in Evil Spirits Club earlier. It just can't be.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Manatee Cannon posted:

This FOE cannot be the jump scare people were talking about in Evil Spirits Club earlier. It just can't be.

which floor are you on? if it's the first, then no, it's not.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Inflammatory posted:

p3 guy is definitely luigi, i don't know why you'd even consider otherwise.
I dunno, I can imagine Yu tipping over or landing on his head with a stoic expression.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

It's most likely the second but even then it wasn't that bad. What really caught me off guard was how cool it looks when you fight one.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Beat the final boss. Going through the ending but I had to stop when everyone wanted to go to the haunted house and one of my choices was to tell Fuuka to go home alone. That redeemed the entire dungeon to me.

Edit: I kinda wish Ultimax came out after this it really does feel wasted having everyone just forget at the end. I mean yeah I saw it coming but with the last few messages and Elizabeth recalling things it would of been nice to see this plot thread picked up in that games story- I mean hell aren't Rei and Zen cameos in the lobby system :v:?

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 4, 2014

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I must be really bad at this game because I'm only at the 2nd Stratum and it feels like every random encounter has a truckload of HP that I tediously have to slog through.

Even the first Stratum FOEs had like 3000 hp when I can do maybe 150 a round at Level 14. Bah.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Can someone please explain the switch puzzle in Evil Spirit Club 2? I must have missed one of the clues or something, because I don't feel I have enough information to solve it on my own and brute-forcing every possible combination isn't working.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Volt Catfish posted:

I must be really bad at this game because I'm only at the 2nd Stratum and it feels like every random encounter has a truckload of HP that I tediously have to slog through.

Even the first Stratum FOEs had like 3000 hp when I can do maybe 150 a round at Level 14. Bah.

Same here. If I don't just cheese thing with Naota fights take forever. Even the first dungeon FOEs take forever drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
>You can now create Skill Cards in the Velvet Room!

• Locked thread