Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Darth Walrus posted:

The govermnent has just realised they're up against highly intelligent shape-shifting maneaters, and that any one of them that goes uncaught could easily rack up hundreds of casualties in minutes. This is a Pretty Huge Deal. Do you really think they'd stop at "Hey, have you murdered anyone with your face-blades?" "No." "Do you even have face-blades?" "No." "Cool, just checking, sorry for the inconvenience. Have a nice day!"? They would surely be aware that there's no way to prove a sufficiently determined parasite's identity without getting hella invasive, and it's reasonable to be hesitant about wanting to subject a fellow student to that.
Yes, I believe they will ask that question. With a SWAT Team right behind them and fully prepared for the worst case scenario. And yeah, in actuality they probably have to do some invasive procedures, like bloodtests. That'd root out something not human.

Like seriously, your ideas of how a realistic investigation would go sound like the van and chainsaw scenario I cooked up. Start with the assumption that the government isn't pants on head retarded or incompetent at handling anything and imagine how a reasonable professional scenario would function.

EDIT:
I am really trying to imagine this government you've come up with which hears from a Highschool girl that oh I saw this student change his face and it reminded me of the shapeshifting face picture thing my brother wrote, he might be an alien, and then based on that goes and violates every right under the sun that potential citizen might have that will probably result in his death. There's intervening steps that they can use that takes into account that the person might be a man-eating alien and also doesn't end up with a random murder. The rights violating can come later, after the person resists inspection or turns out to be an alien.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

We've already seen a parasite take a lethal blow from a table leg. They can be killed with the same things as humans; they are, after all, still human from the neck down.

Mr. A took the table leg and was still mobile and dangerous. A full Parasite has some extra durability on top of potential regeneration or host transfer. I don't think it would take any fewer bullets than bottles to kill one, at least.

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012

Twiddy posted:

Yes, I believe they will ask that question. With a SWAT Team right behind them and fully prepared for the worst case scenario. And yeah, in actuality they probably have to do some invasive procedures, like bloodtests. That'd root out something not human.

Like seriously, your ideas of how a realistic investigation would go sound like the van and chainsaw scenario I cooked up. Start with the assumption that the government isn't pants on head retarded or incompetent at handling anything and imagine how a reasonable professional scenario would function.

EDIT:
I am really trying to imagine this government you've come up with which hears from a Highschool girl that oh I saw this student change his face and it reminded me of the shapeshifting face picture thing my brother wrote, he might be an alien, and then based on that goes and violates every right under the sun that potential citizen might have that will probably result in his death. There's intervening steps that they can use that takes into account that the person might be a man-eating alien and also doesn't end up with a random murder. The rights violating can come later, after the person resists inspection or turns out to be an alien.

I mean this of all weeks in current events is a weird week to make an argument where your central assumption is that a police force will respect the rights of an innocent kid. But that's kind of :can:

Besides, she knows these face-changing aliens kill people, but she doesn't necessarily know that they're all metal-blade-sprouting murder machines. I don't think it's too ridiculous of her to think a concealed weapon is all she'll need if the confrontation goes south.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
For all she knows he is some kind of human. The idea that he is completely inhuman and shares none of her values isn't something she ever considered.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Abitha Denton posted:

I mean this of all weeks in current events is a weird week to make an argument where your central assumption is that a police force will respect the rights of an innocent kid. But that's kind of :can:
Yes when you generalize things a can of worms can be opened. My central argument is that most rationale people aren't going to hear someone say "hey I think my classmate is the shapeshifting alien thing you're looking for" and then begin to gut some kid. I mean that's getting away from current events and making current law enforcement sound like the Salem Witch Trials.

Serious Frolicking posted:

For all she knows he is some kind of human. The idea that he is completely inhuman and shares none of her values isn't something she ever considered.
"Man-eating monsters" should be a signal flare for having different values.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 28, 2014

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
Gonna have to side with Twiddy here. Four-eyes is a painfully obvious case of stupidity for the sake of moving the plot along. Really loving terrible writing, even for shounen standards.

Never ever play a drinking game using Satomi's "Are you really Shinichi-kun?!" line.

It's not going to happen, but please replace her with Kana as the main love interest.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Sophism posted:

It's not going to happen, but please replace her with Migi as the main love interest.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The man's relationship with his hand was clearly canon before this show even started

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

TheKingofSprings posted:

The man's relationship with his hand was clearly canon before this show even started

His changing personality isn't the influence of parasite biomass in his brain, its just the side effect of several weeks of sexual frustration since he can't do the deed anymore without getting way too self conscious

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
No-fap really does give you super powers.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

A thousand percent agreement.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
If Shinichi and Migi end up doing that i want there to be a scene afterwards with him running Migi under the faucet again.

Every time theyve done that i have practically guffawed.

"Its cold, Shinichi."

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Just caught up on this and oh my god the pacing is really loving good. I'm so hype for the next episode!

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

That rock scene. :tviv:

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Man that was loving cool. This show is just so consistently awesome.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-12-02/live-action-parasyte-film-tops-brad-pitt-fury-in-japan/.81695

In Other news, Parasyte's live action movie does well.

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013
It is also nice to see a competent government that knows how to respond to the situation.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Is this show doing well? The pacing (and specifically the weirdly final endings the mini-arcs seem to have) is making me think they're getting worried about being cut short.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Is this show doing well? The pacing (and specifically the weirdly final endings the mini-arcs seem to have) is making me think they're getting worried about being cut short.

Those endings are straight out of the manga

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I really need to re-read the manga, don't I? My memory of it from 6 or 7 years ago is apparently not great.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Also it's incredibly rare for an anime to get cut short once it's been slotted for a certain number of episodes, even if the ratings are bad. Any anime broadcasts not aimed at kids are pretty much just adverts for the blu-rays at this point, since that's where they make money.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
On the one hand, the girl with the glasses managed to make it out alive against all probability. On the other hand, everything else about that episode. :stonk: That may not have been a worst-case scenario, but it was damned close.

And while the government's detection idea is an elegant, clever, and sensible extrapolation of parasites' properties (remember the Migitryoshka?), I can't help but wonder how the hell they engineered a fashion for saying hi by plucking the other person's hair out.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Also it's incredibly rare for an anime to get cut short once it's been slotted for a certain number of episodes, even if the ratings are bad. Any anime broadcasts not aimed at kids are pretty much just adverts for the blu-rays at this point, since that's where they make money.

There is a minor case for Buddy Complex which performed so poorly that it had the second half of its season compressed into an OVA. Although in this case, it was intended to be a split season with a six month break so it was easier to reallocate the second half's time slot for another show. I guess Cross Ange is what ended up taking that time slot which could explain why it turned out that way. :v:

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

On the one hand, the girl with the glasses managed to make it out alive against all probability. On the other hand, everything else about that episode. :stonk: That may not have been a worst-case scenario, but it was damned close.

And while the government's detection idea is an elegant, clever, and sensible extrapolation of parasites' properties (remember the Migitryoshka?), I can't help but wonder how the hell they engineered a fashion for saying hi by plucking the other person's hair out.

The closest I can imagine is convincing people that hair doing something weird after being plucked out is a sign of a new fatal disease.

Basically, give enough half-truth to provide a nice incentive to do so regularly while not providing an outright scare (since even if someone starts freaking out about a new fatal disease, they'll see how uncommon it is after nothing happens when they pluck out the first 50 hairs or so).

One thing I really like that the story is handling is the combination of the parasite's exreme focus on logic combined with the protag's natural sensibilities as a human. While Migi does assert that he doesn't care about others of his species due to his logic, it's probably more so because his species is a solitary animal. By contrast, humans are social animals, so socializing and caring about others is built into the core of their being. The way this has shown in Izumi's behavior is that he clearly cares, but his hyper logic has made him immune to meaningless sentimentality. The examples being, he clearly cared about getting revenge for his mother, but post Parasite combination he no longer saw the Parasite-mother and believed it to be similar to his real mother. Next, he clearly cared about the dog's feelings as it was dying, but once it no longer had feelings he didn't feel an obligation toward it. Finally, when he was faced with the very real possibility of Murano's death, he was overcome by shock, but after recovering and verifying that she was still alive he remained calm. He didn't have to worry excessively anymore because she's still alive now and he can do something about keeping her alive. He no longer fears what-ifs, possibilities, and illusions, he fears the actual reality he lives in. This all seems consistent with the behavior of a person who essentially completely overcomes their own psychology and is able to approach problems with strong logic, but is also still a human and thus still cares about those close to him, as comes with being a social animal. It's much more believable than early on where Migi was asserting that the only reason he didn't care about others of his species was because of his logic.

Basically, now Izumi just needs to put his logic toward replicating the human social norms that came naturally to him before, otherwise he's going to keep freaking out his girlfriend.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 4, 2014

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I have to admit, the fact that plucking a hair is a sure fire way to detect a parasite makes both perfect sense given what we've seen of them so far, and is actually quite clever.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Guess Shinichi had better be damned careful with his fingernail clippings, then.

And yeah, sure, Migi, you don't care about the fact that you're being asked to genocide your own race. Then why even bring it up? "B-baka, it's not like I don't want to exterminate you all or anything..."

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
So it's basically The Thing.

I still can't help but wonder if Parasytes can come up with a countermeasure. They can send command signals before they detach something, so if they command their hair to stay still before they pull it out, they might be able to get away with it.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Please do not pluck out my hair that hurts.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

Please do not pluck out my hair that hurts.

Still, it's a highly effective and non-invasive way tor the Men In Black to screen anyone they arrest, which is when saying 'no' isn't such a concern.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

I still can't help but wonder if Parasytes can come up with a countermeasure. They can send command signals before they detach something, so if they command their hair to stay still before they pull it out, they might be able to get away with it.
I don't know nearly enough about the cellular biology of the brain to look at this problem from a realistic perspective, but following the scientist's explanation I don't think that works. It seems like when the cells become separate from the aggregate being, it becomes its own, much dumber entity. As soon as that much dumber entity becomes separated, it will have two choices: follow last order, or panic because it's dying. It seems like it will always take the latter. In other words, in this case, the fact that it's a mass of similar tissue defeats itself.

That said, there should be nothing stopping the Parasites from incorporating actual hair in their disguise interlaced into the disguised skull, rather than just replicating the hair with its own morphing tissue. It'd probably limit the speed that they can enter attack mode, but it'd get around this inspection system.

EDIT: vvvv So more evidence for my conclusion. One thing I'm curious about though, if the entire Parasite mass is a bunch of similar BS neural-muscular tissue, what is the design that makes it difficult for the parasite to transplant its body into different parts or into different hosts. It sounds like the biology of the parasites is incredibly modular, and that should carry over to what body part it's replicating and who its host is.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 4, 2014

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

Migi explained that smaller parts don't follow commands anymore, that's how Shinichi got enhanced.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I was expecting glasses girl to die at worst. Was not expecting a blood bath.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The pacing was weird that episode dee dee dee on a nice stroll around school BLOOOOOD but I can't way to see how this resolves w.r.t. glasses girl. Will she just rot in PTSD or trust the police/Shinichi?

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"

AnacondaHL posted:

The pacing was weird that episode.

Seemed fairly consistent to me, given where last episode's cliffhanger left us, tonally.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

Still, it's a highly effective and non-invasive way tor the Men In Black to screen anyone they arrest, which is when saying 'no' isn't such a concern.

They should just make people stick their head under cold water. If they stoically complain it is cold, open fire. :cthulhu:

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

If no one (in the general population) knows what hair still moving after it's pulled out signifies, how does it accomplish anything?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Shakugan posted:

If no one (in the general population) knows what hair still moving after it's pulled out signifies, how does it accomplish anything?

The hair will wither and anyone that sees that is going to freak the gently caress out. Still, if its a mutual greeting like thing all it'll do is drive the smarter parasytes underground, since they now what that means.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Lurking Haro posted:

Migi explained that smaller parts don't follow commands anymore, that's how Shinichi got enhanced.

Oops, you're right.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Phobophilia posted:

Well plucking out someone's hair doesn't really mean much if you lose a limb in the process.

Mo_Steel posted:

They should just make people stick their head under cold water. If they stoically complain it is cold, open fire. :cthulhu:
Start a fundraiser for some rare nerve disorder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

amuayse posted:

Well plucking out someone's hair doesn't really mean much if you lose a limb in the process.

Yeah, this plan already seems to be inherently flawed in that way.

• Locked thread