Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
:psydwarf:

They're a holdover from the days of early edition 40k, when everything was cooler. The characterization drifts between Warhammer Fantasy Dwarves in Space to roving biker gangs. They were excised from canon for not fitting in with the setting and for being fairly derivative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Shadow Isaac posted:

Then they can have an ultra powerful sister of battle and all the space marines love her because she's so badass! I really don't see why this is so difficult. Why you guys are so fixated on creating this "acceptance" narrative while simultaneously othering Space Marines to the point where they are alien from humanity just seems insanely contradictory.

Because even if she's an awesome Sister of Battle who the Space Marines like, she will not be one of the Space Marines. She'll still be an outsider, who can't pick any of those cool chapters, with their cool abilities and get to call people Battle-brother/sister. It's a 'seperatue but equal' thing. It's not about acceptance in the fluff, of the character, it's baout the acceptance of the player. Gaming isn't exactly on the forefront of this, ooc-ly speaking. And I can't imagine myself saying, with a straight face, to a female player, that she can't play a female space marine, because of some subtle undertones in the lore, which might not be relevant for my campaign, would be undermined by it. So I 'll just homerule and jury rig some other character to be able to play along with the boys. When the same option is. "Female Space marines? Sure." And nothing of value is lost.

And yeah, Space Marines are pretty distanced from humanity. Which is why it's important, if we're gonna Deathwatch, to have the female player playing someone who has been 'othered' exactly the same way as the rest, so she doesn't automatically play 'the outsider'. Gaming has serious issues with women being seen as 'outsiders' as it is. Th epeople in hte 40K universe are ruthless, cold assholes who care not about anyone's feelings. We, as players, GM's and gamers, should not be.

edit: welp... discussion ended I guess.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 4, 2014

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Quiet you, we are discussing Squats/Scrunts now.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Ehhhhhhhh.

Mods????

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

FireSight posted:

Quiet you, we are discussing Squats/Scrunts now.

Can I play a female Squat?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Shogeton posted:

Can I play a female Scrunt?

No idea, Scrunts are genderless.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
My dad still has a couple hundred dollars of Squat stuff in storage somewhere.

...Epic 40K squat stuff, for double the 'Well that's never coming back'.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

kingcom posted:

No idea, Scrunts are genderless.

Technically not true, but since they're too offputting for anyone to care about studying in any detail (biological, sociological, or otherwise) the exact nature and details surrounding scrunt gender remain a mystery.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Who would want to get close to a scrunt anyway???

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011
Can I be a male Sister of Battle?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kaizer88 posted:

Can I be a male Sister of Battle?

In a manner of speaking

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
As long as you're willing to wear the boobplate, sure.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

Kai Tave posted:

Technically not true, but since they're too offputting for anyone to care about studying in any detail (biological, sociological, or otherwise) the exact nature and details surrounding scrunt gender remain a mystery.

They have three sexes and twelve genders. Or so I'm told.

contagonist
Jul 21, 2014

You shouldn't be doing anything with fluorine.

frajaq posted:

Who would want to get close to a scrunt anyway???

In a world where you can be paid to piss on people, you would be surprised.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
What about Ecclesiarchy Battle-Eunuchs?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

As long as they're cool like Varys

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."

frajaq posted:

As long as they're cool like Varys

Get the Slaaneshi sorceror who gelded you for warp ritual components shipped to you in a box decades later for revenge.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Kai Tave posted:

As long as you're willing to wear the boobplate, sure.

When it comes to goons, it's practically s requirement.

:btroll:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Let's discuss space Elves.
The Eldar have emotions. No, seriously, their overall emotions are so powerful that they define the race, sort of like Trek's Vulcans. Only instead of using rigid logic to keep from murdering everyone around them, they use Paths. What are Paths? Well, they're a way of living - literally. Now there are probably Paths for bakers and Gardeners, but 40k being what it is, the martial ones are what matters. One of the Paths is called the Screaming Banshee, who yell paralyzing cries at their foes before proceeding with battle. When one embarks upon a path, one adopts the image of the path's creator in armor. For the Banshees, this was a lady Eldar. So if a boy Eldar decides to become a Banshee, they are told 'Ok, but you have to wear the boob plate.'

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Wow, kind of glad I missed that whole poo poo storm about Lady marines earlier. I kind of want to contribute some things, but I know when to let poo poo die.

As for squats/scrunts/whatever, like, I feel like I would like them since I love all types of fantasy-style dwarves; but everything about them I see makes me feel like they come from a time where the setting didn't take itself seriously, and so neither did the squats, and I don't know how I'd feel about that. Everyone here can attest that I am a fun-hating nerd who takes my games and role-playing seriously.

Also what the gently caress is a scrunt? Tried to google that poo poo and all I got was some wolf from the movie Lady in the Water so I don't even know.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Werix posted:

Also what the gently caress is a scrunt? Tried to google that poo poo and all I got was some wolf from the movie Lady in the Water so I don't even know.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Werix posted:

Serious answer, scrunts are some sort of meme(?) that arose in the GBS warhams thread (I think) springing off a terrible mini in the Unspiration thread, that then got turned into an actual game being played in The Game Room (Slam Sector). Scrunts are basically to squats what ogryns are to humans only instead of being huge and strong and dumb they're just tiny and hosed up and dumb.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Our long national nightmare is over.

And yeah, scrunts are from the (pretty funny) GBS 40k thread.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I would like the Techpriest rituals to be more like hero quests, so I can reenact "lhankor Mhy finds the STC" while calibrating auspexes, or "Humakt the Champion" while forging power swords.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Okay, if that actually works, like the Mechanicus doing a "safe" version of warp magic like Sisters do with Living Saints (Who are greater demons of the Emperor), I'd be totally behind that.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

The psyker in the party already uses the image of a scrunt. New idea for campaign, Scrunt-topia. The all scrunt campaign.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Guys, somebody... a talented somebody... is making scrunt mini's.

http://www.olleysarmies.co.uk/home.html#galleries

Look at the scrunt-wagon pulled by dashunds. Look at it! Bwahahaha.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

The scrunt minatures are ancient and, because they are proportional and not malformed, are not related to true scrunts.

Incidentally you can't play female scrunts, because I will not let you.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

How about a transvestite scrunt? :wmwink:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
On the subject of Only Xenos, have anybody run a game where the players were orks? If so, how did you do it, and how did it turn out?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Doesn't work for campaigns. Great fun for one-offs, but too one note for anything long-term.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

We had an RT campaign where two players were Orks, and the general consensus in campaign's post-mortem was that two Orks was too much. Even our hosed up party of horrible people didn't work that well with two Orks, since it meant that in social situations two players sort of twiddled their thumbs for the most part. Or in situations that required a subtle approach (although the Kommando was our main stealth-guy so in stealth situations he was an active participant). Really, most non-combat situations didn't work with Orks. Plus the Ork-murder train of a Weirdboy and an Ork Kommando was so horrifically overpowered in combat that the GM decided that the other party members needed some severe buffs to keep up when it came to endgame (in which he succeeded, the priest got insanely good loot and the genetor-explorator turned into an insane combat monster, both as rewards for their respective major sidequests).

But the point is that a group of Orks don't really work as PCs, except for one-offs, as others have been saying. Plus Weirdboys are loving overpowered, and curiously enough, way, way more stable as Psykers than human Psykers since they can buy a fail-safe talent at some point where they just eat a snotling/squig/gretchin to avoid the Ork version of Perils. Plus they can buy a mob of bodyguards who, rules as written, are insane thanks to Grabba-Stikks which have Snare, which is insane in combat. Weirdboys are badly balanced.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
On the other hand, Deffwotch was a thing and a very successful thing at that. It was a bunch of Orks stealing an Imperial Cruiser, disguising themselves as Space Marines, and nicking all the good fights before the actual Deathwatch could arrive. Look it up on 1d4chan if you haven't.

What I'm saying is run Orks as Space Marines and you'll go far.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I think All-Orks can be fine because then you are all basically on the same wave-length. I mean the game will be ridiculous and campy, but no one is going to sign up for an all-Ork game and be confused about what is going on. The problem is when you have a regular RT game (or whatever) and then suddenly there are a couple Orks tossed in there; it might be ok if the rest of the group is a bunch of murderous lunatics anyway, but otherwise it can be very disjointed and awkward.

Especially if there are people who want to do something politically/subtlety, where the Orks basically add anything to the session and get stuck spinning their wheels.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

All Ork RT games end up in massive PVP combat as players try to decide who is bigger.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That's why in my partially designed *World game the Nob/Warboss class has the "Biggest" power.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Kaptain Orkhabon the Space Whaler. Tags along with the RT to hunt bigger and bigger monsters.

Also there's rare alternative to the usual roks and kroozers, where they hollow out increasingly larger Void Kraken and steer them like they do Squiggoths. When the crew gets too large they need to find a bigger one, like hermit crabs. For intersteller travel, the Weirdboy rides in an armored howdah.
It's how the Snakebites prefer to travel from world to world.

Ronwayne posted:

Okay, if that actually works, like the Mechanicus doing a "safe" version of warp magic like Sisters do with Living Saints (Who are greater demons of the Emperor), I'd be totally behind that.
I enjoy seeing it as literally how science works in 40K, and why invention is hard and dangerous; you have to make a new machinequest, like "Arkhan Land Rides the Raider", before you can create a new kind of thing. The STCs are pieces of the various myths you need to know to machinequest.
I mean, why else bother have Techpriests? They should be more than just a bunch of boring nerds in robes.

It's entirely possible something will go wrong on your machinequest and you'll vanish into the machine realm.
But sacrifice a dozen Servitors and successfully perform "Alatus Races the Wind" and get +20 to Operate for the next battle.

Basically, an Adeptus Mechanicus game would be Arch-Magos of the Void Dragon Reach.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

unseenlibrarian posted:

My dad still has a couple hundred dollars of Squat stuff in storage somewhere.

...Epic 40K squat stuff, for double the 'Well that's never coming back'.
So what, like 8 models? :haw:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Orks own bones. We had one in a short lived RT game and discovered that, while he couldn't possibly pass tests to extinguish himself after getting flamered, the fire also couldn't hurt him through his toughness. So there was more than one fight with a perpetually panicked, flaming ork running around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

That happened quite often in our RT. Sometimes without the panicking - I think the Kommando might have even tried to sneak around while on fire at some point.