Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I read Infinite Jest last winter and I'm getting the bug again for a gigantic insane novel. I realize there's probably nothing exactly like it, but when I was talking to some friends the other day I realized that Neal Stephenson (another author I like) is kind of a B-movie genre director in the same way one might compare David Foster Wallace to a great auteur like Stanley Kubrick. So like, a five page essay about some nerd's optimal way to eat Captain Crunch is great, but I'd love something that's a bit more literary but still highly readable. Does any of this make sense?

I recommend this book a lot, but John Fowles - The Magus. It's very different indeed from Infinite Jest but is literary, it is insane (but a different brand of insanity), it's big (though not gigantic). It's a good book.

You could also try something like Gravity's Rainbow or if you're particularly daring, Finnegan's Wake. Those certainly fit your requirements.

If we can put aside the gigantic requirement, I'd also suggest Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Foucault's Pendulum is also considerably easier to read than any of the mentioned, except possibly Infinite Jest.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

anilEhilated posted:

Foucault's Pendulum is also considerably easier to read than any of the mentioned, except possibly Infinite Jest.

I found it a somewhat more difficult read than The Magus (not that either were particularly tough), but yeah the other two require a real commitment.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I read Infinite Jest last winter and I'm getting the bug again for a gigantic insane novel. I realize there's probably nothing exactly like it, but when I was talking to some friends the other day I realized that Neal Stephenson (another author I like) is kind of a B-movie genre director in the same way one might compare David Foster Wallace to a great auteur like Stanley Kubrick. So like, a five page essay about some nerd's optimal way to eat Captain Crunch is great, but I'd love something that's a bit more literary but still highly readable. Does any of this make sense?

Don Delillo maybe?

Underworld if you want a long one

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

When I was in college I did check out Gravity's Rainbow and read a couple chapters of it. Does it get a lot weirder than the section right near the beginning where the one guy is going along and then it suddenly shifts to kind of a point-of-view description of an anxiety/PTSD attack?

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

When I was in college I did check out Gravity's Rainbow and read a couple chapters of it. Does it get a lot weirder than the section right near the beginning where the one guy is going along and then it suddenly shifts to kind of a point-of-view description of an anxiety/PTSD attack?

It features a musical number with dancing lightbulbs singing about tungsten - complete with stage directions - if that gives you any indication of how weird things get.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

there's always In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust if you're really keen on great behemoths

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
And The Recognitions by William Gaddis is some fun stuff too.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

I got curious about Fowles's Magus... apparently there's an original and a revision? Which one do you recommend?

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

Stravinsky posted:

Tom Holland is fine and I would not really put him in the pop history category because I generally reserve that title for poorly researched and heavily slanted ghostwritten books put out by personalities (usually TV/radio) trying to make a buck off of their audience.

Imo if you want to ease into reading history do not worry about dates and names. Just as long as you are getting the broad picture and understanding what is going on your OK. Also start out on books covering a single event or person instead of broad histories.

Thanks for the tip! It's weird, I don't consider myself to be dumb or anything, but that's just one area where my education was lacking--my history teachers in high school consisted of an ex-shop teacher (who felt the history at us instead of teaching it to us), and the football coach, who didn't give a poo poo and basically just showed us Ken Burns documentaries so he could work on his game plans... then, in college I was a music major, so the only history classes I took were music history classes, and while cool, they don't really cover much more than the artists and the people they worked for.

I'll also take the tip about jotting down some notes. I've been playing Civilization lately, and it's got me in the mood to learn more about the leaders and their civs.

tonytheshoes fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 1, 2014

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Sir John Feelgood posted:

I got curious about Fowles's Magus... apparently there's an original and a revision? Which one do you recommend?

The changes are pretty minor and involve a bit of tidying up of the plot. Either one is fine, if you have both laying around then read the revision.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Any recommendations for books on microbiology or genetics? Any interesting books on history are always welcome too.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
I'm looking for weird new-age/conspiracy/alternative-thinking books for my partner's mum. She likes getting insight into other people's thought processes and beliefs - she just finished reading a David Icke book and thought it was hilarious. Particular areas of interest:

- Quantum physics
- The healing power of thoughts
- Hypnotisation/past life regression
- Lizards, apparently

To be clear she's not really a 'believer'. Books that treat these sorts of things critically are OK, but I think she'd rather read the source material. The weirder the better! I've loaned her a copy of John C. Lilly's autobiography in the meantime :v:

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

naptalan posted:

I'm looking for weird new-age/conspiracy/alternative-thinking books for my partner's mum. She likes getting insight into other people's thought processes and beliefs - she just finished reading a David Icke book and thought it was hilarious. Particular areas of interest:

- Quantum physics
- Lizards, apparently

To be clear she's not really a 'believer'. Books that treat these sorts of things critically are OK, but I think she'd rather read the source material. The weirder the better! I've loaned her a copy of John C. Lilly's autobiography in the meantime :v:

It's not meant to be taken seriously, but the Illuminatus! trilogy will be perfect for her.

The Dancing Wu Li Masters is meant to be taken seriously and is another solid choice, as are all of Immanuel Velikovsky's works (though they don't touch on those subjects you mentioned specifically, but on other similarly wacky notions), most notably Worlds in Collision

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 4, 2014

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

You might also look for books by J. Z. Knight, who's one of the best-known past life channelers. A Beginner's Guide to Creating Reality is loads of fun to point and laugh at.

Movac
Oct 31, 2012

naptalan posted:

- Quantum physics
- Lizards, apparently

Check out L. Ron Hubbard for some seriously influential nonsense. Dianetics is relatively dry, but A History of Man has plenty of fun past-lives BS.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Any good non-fiction books about the Chernobyl Disaster?

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice
It is that time of year again .. I love to give books as gifts at Christmas, but it is not always the easiest thing, when you want to ensure someone hasn't read it already. My mother-in-law has pretty terrible taste in books, Jodi Picoult and Nicholas Sparks and the like, and she has enjoyed some emotional fluff that I've recommended (Me Before You, The Rosie Project), and hated other items (The 100-year old man who climbed out the window and disappeared). One of the ways I usually get around the "have they read it?" question is by not gifting books that are in the exact same parallel of writers - for example, Goodreads tells me that Kristin Hannah and Diane Chamberlain are often enjoyed by the Jodi Picoult and Nicholas Sparks crowd, so its a good bet my MIL has already read them.

I'm considering "The Housekeeper and the Professor" by Yoko Ogawa as a gift choice, as she most definitely would not have read Ogawa, or probably anything in translation, ever, and am looking for a few more suggestions. I had briefly considered "The White Bone" by Barbara Gowdy, but discarded the idea since she thought the 100-year-old man book "too outlandish," and "The White Bone" is written from the POV of an elephant. Any help?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

naptalan posted:

- Quantum physics
- Lizards, apparently

Michael Shermer's Why People Believe Weird Things might be worth a consideration and ought to get her into the source material

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Another vote for the Illuminatus! trilogy.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

naptalan posted:

- Quantum physics
- Lizards, apparently

This isn't really a recommendation, but you do know that Quantum Physics isn't new-age/conspiracy/alternative-thinking but is actually a real thing with significant experimental backing, right? It's very very very different than your other areas of interest.

Quandary fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 5, 2014

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
Thanks for all the suggestions! They look amazing, particularly the Illuminatus trilogy.

For quantum physics, yes I am aware it's a real thing, but it is a key player in a bunch of utterly insane poo poo (see: Deepak Chopra). That could definitely have been worded better. And I think she'd enjoy books that explain real quantum physics in an accessible manner, if you have any recommendations.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

VisAbsoluta posted:

Any good non-fiction books about the Chernobyl Disaster?

Voices from Chernobyl is apparently good + ios a bunch of people who were there recounting what happened and how it affected their lives I haven't read it myself tho

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

I'm trying to think of translations that are great works of English literature, the KJV being the most obvious example of this.

What I've come up with so far: Arthur Golding's Metamorphoses, Chapman's Homer, Pope's Homer, maybe Dryden's Aeneid?

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Pope's Odyssey is a piece of poo.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

CestMoi posted:

Pope's Odyssey is a piece of poo.
Why do you say that?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Why do you say that?

It's got nothing to do with the original. It should be credited as The Odyssey, a Silly Poem by A. Pope Inspired by the Works of Homer

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

It's one of the worst examples of sacrificing any form of natural, flowing writing to the metre I have ever read.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

WHo cares that it's not like a book written by a fake man, it;s bad on its own terms.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I'm trying to think of translations that are great works of English literature, the KJV being the most obvious example of this.

What I've come up with so far: Arthur Golding's Metamorphoses, Chapman's Homer, Pope's Homer, maybe Dryden's Aeneid?

Richard Burton's translation of The Thousand and One NIghts?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Edward Fitzgerald's Rubaiyat is still read with pleasure, long after translations with more fidelity to the original source have been forgotten.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I don't know if they're "best ever" but in terms of my personal favorites, I'd put up just about any of the "translations" of E. Powys Mathers. Like Fitzgerald he "translated" a lot of eastern poetry, including a translation of the French version of the Arabian Nights by Mardrus.

As quoted in Steinbeck's Cannery Row:

quote:

When the record had finished, Doc wiped his hands and turned it off. He saw a book lying half under his bed and picked it up and he sat down on the bed. For a moment he read to himself but then his lips began to move and in a moment he read aloud — slowly, pausing at the end of each line.

Even now
I mind the coming and talking of wise men from towers
Where they had thought away their youth. And I, listening,
Found not the salt of the whispers of my girl,
Murmur of confused colors, as we lay near sleep;
Little wise words and little witty words,
Wanton as water, honied with eagerness.

In the sink the high white foam cooled and ticked as the bubbles burst. Under the piers it was very high tide and the waves splashed on rocks they had not reached in a long time.

Even now
I mind that I loved cypress and roses, dear,
The great blue mountains and the small gray hills,
The sounding of the sea. Upon a day
I saw strange eyes and hands like butterflies;
For me at morning larks flew from the thyme
And children came to bathe in little streams.

Doc closed the book. He could hear the waves beat under the piles and he could hear the scampering of white rats against the wire. He went into the kitchen and felt the cooling water in the sink. He ran hot water into it. He spoke aloud to the sink and the white rats, and to himself:

Even now
I know that I have savored the hot taste of life
Lifting green cups and gold at the great feast.
Just for a small and a forgotten time
I have had full in my eyes from off my girl
The whitest pouring of eternal light

He wiped his eyes with the back of his hand. And the white rats scampered and scrambled in their cages. And behind the glass the rattlesnakes lay still and stared into space with their dusty frowning eyes.

Perhaps also George Dillon and Edna St. Vincent Millay's translations of Les Fleurs du Mal.

quote:

Lethe
Come to my arms, cruel and sullen thing;
Indolent beast, come to my arms again,
For I would plunge my fingers in your mane
And be a long time unremembering —

And bury myself in you, and breathe your wild
Perfume remorselessly for one more hour:
And breathe again, as of a ruined flower,
The fragrance of the love you have defiled.

I long to sleep; I think that from a stark
Slumber like death I could awake the same
As I was once, and lavish without shame
Caresses upon your body, glowing and dark.

To drown my sorrow there is no abyss,
However deep, that can compare with your bed.
Forgetfulness has made its country your red
Mouth, and the flowing of Lethe is in your kiss.

My doom, henceforward, is my sole desire:
As martyrs, being demented in their zeal,
Shake with delightful spasms upon the wheel,
Implore the whip, or puff upon the fire,

So I implore you, fervently resigned!
Come; I would drink nepenthe and long rest
At the sweet points of this entrancing breast
Wherein no heart has ever been confined.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Elderbean posted:

Any recommendations for books on microbiology or genetics? Any interesting books on history are always welcome too.

Genome by Matt Ridley is a easy but not stupid read.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

edit: Eh, forget it (this was about Pope but I don't feel like talking about it).

Thanks for the recommendations. And people are welcome to post more.

Sir John Feelgood fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 6, 2014

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Elderbean posted:

Maybe not what you're after, but The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins is a phenomenal introduction to evolution at the genetic level.

Adib
Jan 23, 2012

These are strange times, my dear...
I have heard very good things about Robert Fagles's translation of The Odyssey; you might want to look into it.

Nicholson's translations of Rumi's works, particularly the Mathnawi, are still highly regarded and widely used. I am a big proponent of Jawid Mojaddedi's rhyming verse translation, which retains Rumi's original rhyme scheme of AA, BB, etc. and is remarkably faithful to the original without sounding stilted or shoehorned. Mojaddedi is still working on his translation, but Oxford has published three volumes as part of their World's Classics series thus far.

Apart from that, Franklin Lewis is a Rumi expert who has rendered his poetry into free verse and blank verse, if that's more your style.

Despite his immense popularity, I would avoid Coleman Barks if you are in the market for faithful translations. Barks does not actually know any Persian; he has merely relied on other translations of Rumi into English, and his renditions are just the result of whatever "inspiration" he was feeling as he read those translations.

The advice on Barks's books is also applicable to Daniel Ladinsky's "translation" of Hafiz's poetry, the main difference being that Ladinsky actually has the audacity to pass off his renditions as "translations" with a straight face. If you are genuinely interested in Hafiz, I suggest Geoffrey Squires's Hafez: Translations and Interpretations of the Ghazals. It actually just came out this year and I have a copy, which I have thumbed through. Wonderful stuff. Herman Bicknell did a rhyming verse translation in 1875, which was published with the title Hafiz of Shiraz: Selections from his Poems, but it's not easy to find in hard copy. I scanned the whole thing a while back and put it up on my Dropbox; the book's copyright expired decades ago, and you're all welcome to download this soft copy. Bear in mind, though, that he died before he could finish his translation, so the book is technically incomplete.

Adib fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 6, 2014

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

I think it's about time I learn more about my country's history, so I would love to get recommendations for a (comprehensive but not too dry) book about the history of Dutch slave trading. I don't mind if it's in English or Dutch, and an ebook would be preferable.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I'm looking for some easy-to-read, upbeat chick lit for a Christmas gift for my mother, but I know almost nothing about the genre myself. (She's extremely intelligent, but she likes to relax with trashy stuff.) Ideally she prefers books with a fairly biting sense of humour. From a practical standpoint, recent releases would be better since then I can check with my father to see if she's read them already. What sort of authors should I be looking at?

oh uckfay
Apr 29, 2007
Hey I'm looking for a good book on Circus Freaks or Freaks in general (ever see the Curb your enthusiasm episode Larry buys Ted Danson a book on Freaks? I want a book like that)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

oh uckfay posted:

Hey I'm looking for a good book on Circus Freaks or Freaks in general (ever see the Curb your enthusiasm episode Larry buys Ted Danson a book on Freaks? I want a book like that)

American Sideshow by Marc Hartzman comes highly recommended by my weird aunt.