Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

norp posted:

You realise that the tin roof is hot because it absorbed the sun's energy rather than because it's reflecting it right?
A mirror in the sun will be relatively cool in comparison.

Shiny things reflect things back into space instead, it's one of the feedback loops of the melting of the ice caps - White snow sends a lot of light back into space

It is not a mirror... Get your facts right.

Edit: Seriously, this is the facebook argument that never stops giving.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

norp posted:

You realise that the tin roof is hot because it absorbed the sun's energy rather than because it's reflecting it right?

(Hooman is not anti-Green)

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

SadisTech posted:

God Helen Razer is a gigantic turd. Her pretentious contrarian schtick is getting so old it's gone moldy.

Every time I read Razer I follow it up by listening to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEQd6_g-55g and then I feel better

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
It's like a hard left radical learned everything he knows about the world from News Corp. This is amazing.

Facebook posted:

But back to you and your claims. Coal equates to 85% of energy generation and produces 37% of the emissions in Australia. Switching to gas now will cut those emissions by 18.5% and also do away with the issues that are threatening the Great Barrier Reef from spoil dumping. This can be achieved in as little as 2 years. Oil provides 1% of power generation and 15% of emissions. Gas would reduce this to 11%. Therefore, switching to gas right now, which is achievable, will cut emissions by 22.5%. (my numbers are rough ball park.)

But guess what, that is nothing as your touting of your beaut green technologies misses one very significant point. Stationary electrical power generation only accounts for 36% of the emissions. So all your green tech is making very little difference overall and we cannot afford the 25 years it is going to take you to wake up to this fact. That, along with the economics, is the lesson we can learn right now from the plight of Germany who have wasted billions of euros and priced the poor out of the market with their green revolution for no net gain.

Want to make more cuts and do the hard work now, which will never happen as all parties lack the political will, including the greens. Lower demand significantly right now by placing a ban all air conditioners from housing and most low level offices, they use huge amounts of energy and they are not really required. I grew up in a house that was not air conditioned, as did my parents and so on and so on. My dad never had AC’s in his office, yet here we all are. Also, mandate that every house must have LED lights, no tumble dryers (dishwashers are ok as they save another valuable resource, water) and all the other labor saving BS.

Stop deforestation, this accounts for 15% of emissions, yep a whopping 15%... The govt must put in place first rate mass public transport like places like Japan, Holland and Germany have in all urban areas, then ban cars within that area. Passenger cars are by far the highest contributor to emissions, along with trucks they account for another 37%.

Ban facebook, twitter and all the other BS social networks that do nothing in reality except have people wanting the latest phone / ipad so they can twitter about the place. This uses up a huge amount of resources (hello rare earths) that can be better utilized elsewhere and the fat little pricks can go get some exercise. Mobile phones without the processors uses very little, but should be made a lot more expensive none the less. Are you keeping up with this sport?

These are the hard yards that need to be done now. Doing this will drop emissions far below what the Kyoto agreement says, But I will tell you now that this is a must that no pollie will commit to it as they would never get elected. We, the people need to drive this, but good luck on that as long as there is greed and envy in the world. All the other poo poo that you and the green brigade postulate is about as effective as putting a band-aid on a severed formal artery in the first instance, and unviable due to limited resources in the second instance.

And you tell me I do not see the realities, not true, I just don’t see your delusional version of reality...

However, all the above is pointless until we bring the exploding population under control, stop paying waste to what we have left of the Amazon and African forests. Ensure that we are not jumping the waste that we ban into Africa as the EU does now (inefficient old cars / trucks etc). Again lack of political will. And we will need those planes to enforce it. Yes, we will have to enforce it... But what do you want, a nice PC world that is doomed, or a world that we can survive on. The left nambie pambies of the world need to make a choice right now.

:allears:

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
The salties are poo poo, crows.

Also:

Marguerite Iliescu
@Marguerite_____
Dislikes: Statists, bad grammar, taxes.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

http://concit.org/australia-under-islam-in-25-years-islamic-constitution-of-australia/ posted:

USTRALIA UNDER ISLAM in 25 years

The Islamic Party of Australia Hizb-ut Tahrir have openly posted their draft Islamic Constitution of Australia—they claimed on its release to the public that it would take 25 years before Australia will be under Islamic rule.
Every mosque just brings that closer.

Been making the rounds on facebook. God I hate social networks.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Murodese posted:

The salties are poo poo, crows.

Also:

Marguerite Iliescu
@Marguerite_____
Dislikes: Statists, bad grammar, taxes.

They are indeed poo poo, the 'Australia's leading left wing newspaper' thing is their own tagline. I am just proud my brother is taking an interest in politics and isn't a libertarian.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

They are indeed poo poo, the 'Australia's leading left wing newspaper' thing is their own tagline. I am just proud my brother is taking an interest in politics and isn't a libertarian.

I don't see an issue with that tagline. Unless you can think of another left wing newspaper with a wider circulation?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

quote:

Don't change leaders lightly, says PM

Published: 8:40 pm, Thursday, 4 December 2014

Prime Minister Tony Abbott says people might feel dismayed, disappointed and even surprised at the government's performance.

But would he consider stepping aside if it continued to trail Labor ahead of the next election in 2016?

Mr Abbott said on Thursday night that was a fair question but a fundamental lesson from the former Labor government was that you don't lightly change leaders.

'Governments that change their leaders haven't done very well lately,' he told ABC television.

Mr Abbott said much had happened in 12-14 months and circumstances did change, with Labor's promised $18 billion deficit actually coming in at $48 billion.

'People, sure, may well feel dismayed, disappointed, occasionally even surprised. But I think that they also understand that governments have to respond to the circumstances that they find themselves,' he said.

Mr Abbott said the government had kept faith with the Australian people because it had fundamentally honoured core commitments to stop the boats, repeal the carbon tax, build the roads and start the job of budget repair.

He said there had been a lot of unjustified cries that he had broken his promises.

On ABC funding cuts, he said plainly he did say the night before the election there would be no cuts to the national broadcaster.

'We flagged a very urgent task of budget repair,' he said.

'It's interesting that in the run-up to the budget, the messages we were getting back from our constituents and, yes, from Liberal Party polling, was people were frightened we would squib it,' he said.

Mr Abbott said he was saying to the Australian people there was a need to adjust to changed circumstances and the government was deadly serious about returning the budget to surplus.

'If you are trying to get from point A to point B and one way is blocked you find another way. You don't abandon your objective,' he said.

Mr Abbott said he would not flag potential compromises to get stalled budget measures through the Senate.

'That's going to be a matter for discussion and negotiation with the crossbench,' he said.

'There will be further things to be announced by this government. We will be governing right up until Christmas Eve.'
- See more at: http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-stories/2014/12/04/don-t-change-leaders-lightly--says-pm.html#sthash.amw1ofom.dpuf

LEADERSHIP SPECULATION IS BACK BABY

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
I subscribed to Red Flag for a bit. The envelopes the send it in say RED FLAG in big text on the front so I'm sure I'm on a watch list by now

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

I understand how she feels, though I'm certain I disagree with everything she stands for.

You bastards are lucky you have an even remotely relevant left-wing party.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Lid posted:

"Core promises" are back as well it seems

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Haters Objector posted:

I subscribed to Red Flag for a bit. The envelopes the send it in say RED FLAG in big text on the front so I'm sure I'm on a watch list by now

I still have a subscription to it, it has had some good articles on revolutionary art and poetry recently and I like the comics. My brother is definitely on a watchlist and I probably am by association.

E: his picture has been posted a couple of times in the threads by people taking pictures of people at rallies and marches. He is very active politically and the family is very proud of him. :kimchi:

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Dec 4, 2014

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Redeye Flight posted:

I understand how she feels, though I'm certain I disagree with everything she stands for.

You bastards are lucky you have an even remotely relevant left-wing party.

It's a reference to an argument auspol had about reforming the Labor party from within. It is pretty hard to change a party that is built on the backs of soulless career politicians, and is funny hearing about it from the Liberals for a change.

Lid posted:

'There will be further things to be announced by this government. We will be governing right up until Christmas Eve.'

Oh boy, can we expect a lovely 12 days of Liberal Christmas?

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Dec 4, 2014

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Lid posted:

Mmm, adults in charge

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Lid posted:

i never thought i would be happy to read this

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Tokamak posted:

Oh boy, can we expect a lovely 12 days of Liberal Christmas?

They're running a special Xmas card service

"Dear <recipient>, on behalf of <sender> we're wishing you a merry christmas with this card, that is 10% better than it could have been because we axed the mining tax, and 100% whiter because we stopped the boats. Sincerely yours on this holy Christian occasion, the Federal Government of Australia"

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=793839397357208

owns

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Stuart Littlemore, for those who missed it, has most recently been the QC representing Eddie Obeid during his various ICAC appearances. A bit of a culture shock.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
To think of a time when it was only ACA being dodgey :allears:

e:
Holy poo poo, Media Watch had some teeth then. I don't think it'd try and discuss half those points today, 'lazy dole bludgers' is the reality for everyone.

Pidgin Englishman fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Dec 4, 2014

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Listening to the senate debate the Maritime Powers bill is really depressing. Lambie and Hanson-Young are bringing the fire though, so that's good.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Seeing Howard's loving face: So this is where it all began. :smith:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
This isn't normal. This can't go on forever

quote:

First home buyers continue to disappear from the property market as investors dominate

FIRST homebuyer figures have plummeted to their lowest levels in a decade as aspiring property owners get pushed further out.

New figures by one of the nation’s largest mortgage broking firms, Australian Finance Group, show entry-level buyers fell to disastrously low records in Victoria, NSW and South Australia.
In November first home buyers figures in Victoria dropped to 7.4 per cent (down from 11.4 per cent in November last year), in South Australia 6.3 per cent (down from 16 per cent) and in NSW 1.9 per cent (down from 2.8 per cent).

At the same time the proportion of investors has climbed to its highest level in a decade and nationally made up 40 per cent of all new loans.
AFG chief executive officer Mark Hewitt said the record-low first home buyers figures were “extremely concerning.”
“We are seeing an emerging generation of people who aren’t going to be owning their own homes,’’ he said.
“Investors quite often use equity in their existing property so why their property grows their equity grows and their buying power increases.
“People who aren’t involved in the property market like first-home buyers aren’t having that type of asset growth and are having to save the cash, this can be difficult when they are likely to be renting.”
The dumping of the first-home buyers grant has also been blamed for the demise in entry-level buyers.
Nationally of all loans, first homebuyer figures made up 7.3 per cent — down from 10.3 per cent in November last year.
The overall average home loan size in November was $454,000 compared to $436,000 12 months ago.

This week the Reserve Bank of Australia kept the cash rate on hold at 2.5 per cent and for the 16th consecutive month.
But despite the grim first-home buyers figures, the latest Adelaide Bank/ REIA Housing Affordability Report released yesterday (Wed) found a slight improvement to house prices for potential buyers.
The proportion of income required to meet loan repayments fell by 0.5 per cent to 30.4 per cent during the September quarter.
REIA chief executive officer Amanda Lynch said while housing affordability remained out of reach for many potential buyers it was “improving.”

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

So are those houses going for rent or are they just sitting on them? Meanwhile we have a population boom so...

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Shh, the capitalists are playing.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsbcScp9wpU

EDIT: From Ending the Affair: The Decline of Television Current Affairs in Australia

quote:

ACA demonised the family for six consecutive nights. Only in one story (of the total of eight) did ACA provide air time to anybody prepared to defend the family: this was Chris Puplick from the Anti-Discrimination Commission who pointed out, to no effect, that it was in fact illegal to require anyone to cut their hair in order to gain employment unless it was an issue of health or safety.

... In his column in the national daily, The Australian, Phillip Adams suggested just where he would like to stick Ray Martin's recent Gold Logie award. A talkback radio announcer in Melbourne came out in support of Shane Paxton, attacked ACA and the Nine Network (a key advertiser with his station) and promptly lost his job.

Nuclear Spy fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Dec 4, 2014

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
I might be pulling this out of my arse but I thought that widespread home ownership was pretty much a 20th century phenomenon?

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Anidav posted:

Been making the rounds on facebook. God I hate social networks.

FWIW the last time this came up I followed links and could not find it. The story seems to lead to some "Australia First" or some party like that, which has their own draft constitution they've been writing which goes about as well as you'd expect.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

thatbastardken posted:

I might be pulling this out of my arse but I thought that widespread home ownership was pretty much a 20th century phenomenon?

Only because in the 21st century people realised that homes were too valuable to be simply used as shelter from the elements and started using them as a source of imaginary wealth.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Solutions:

- Get rid of negative gearing

- Kill all Baby Boomers who have investment properties

- Kill you'reself

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

A SLICK NEW ADVERTISING CAMPAIGN WILL SAVE THE ABBOTT GOVERNMENT

News Ltd. posted:

The Abbott Government’s secret plan for a media blitz on higher education

THE government has secretly accumulated market research and “slick” video advertisements, ready for a massive campaign aimed at selling its changes to higher education funding to young people.
The campaign to reassure potential higher education students about their fees could include Twitter and Facebook spots in addition to placements in newspapers and on radio and television.
Yesterday, Education Minister Christopher Pyne said the government might “look at” an “education campaign” — but planning has actually been underway since October.

Mr Pyne credited the idea to an Independent senator, John Madigan, who has angrily denied the claim today.
On Tuesday night, the government’s legislation to change funding to universities and deregulate fees was rejected by the Senate. The next day, Mr Pyne introduced a similar bill, to be debated next year.
The Education Minister also raised the prospect of an advertising campaign on Wednesday after talking to cross bench senators, including Mr Madigan.
“One of the things that Senator Madigan asked for was that an education campaign be run by the government to quell some of the concerns that people have in the community,” said Mr Pyne. “We’ll look at that of course.”

However, Senator Madigan has angrily denied it was his idea, and attacked Mr Pyne for his claim.
“Clearly the government has not sold its policies well,” Senator Madigan said on Facebook. “Its engagement with the public and the crossbench has been patchy. “Unequivocally, I never called for an advertising campaign using taxpayers’ money and I would never support such a measure.”
Proposed “slick and lively” television ads tell viewers university graduates earn 75 per cent more than non-graduates, a source has told news.com.au.
There was a theme, said the source, that the government would pay half of the cost of a university fee and HECS pays the rest, with zero dollars upfront.
There was no mention of the size of the fees, with Labor insisting the government’s reduced funding and deregulation could produce $100,000 degrees.
A proposed full-page newspaper advertisement featured a dollar sign divided down the middle to indicate the government would cover half the university fee.
A long video has been shot to be run on Facebook.

Please just make it all end. :smith:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

You Am I posted:

Solutions:

- Get rid of negative gearing

- Kill all Baby Boomers who have investment properties

- Kill you'reself

All of the above.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Is that taxpayer money or political donations paying for that. Pretty poo poo if its government funded.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

gay picnic defence posted:

Is that taxpayer money or political donations paying for that. Pretty poo poo if its government funded.

Hahahahaahahahaahahaaaaa

e: aaaaaaaaaahahahahaha

yep I'm sure they'll pay for it out of their next election war chest when they have all this 'free' government money they can spend on advertising their lovely ideas.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

POLICE PLATOONS SEIZE GOON FROM HOONS - The Daily Telegraph

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
That's going to be an epic game of noon goon

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Now it's obvious why Fruity stopped posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

I am very much in favour of this grid.

• Locked thread