Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Red_Fred posted:

I have a strange issue with Google Authenticator and 2 step verification. I factory reset my phone a few months back but forgot to setup GA. I just tried before and when I go to connect an available account it tells me to turn on 2 step authentication on that account using a computer. I have had 2 step on this account for two years. I can't find the manual account options on my Google account as it's already set up...

Searching for this problem got me no results. Anyone experienced this?
You have to turn 2FA off and then back on. It's a security feature that you cannot add a 2FA device to an account that already has 2FA enabled, although I somewhat dispute that the workflow has to be quite so fiddly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Oh look, the Facebook app changed again and now makes an annoying little chirp whenever it finishes refreshing. And there's still no way to configure your news feed to be chronological. And when you do manage to find the most recent section, it now takes up the full screen and doesn't show you if you have any new notifications until you back out of the page.

Why am I still using this app :geno:

lags
Jan 3, 2004

404notfound posted:

Oh look, the Facebook app changed again and now makes an annoying little chirp whenever it finishes refreshing.

Which my wife just discovered doesn't pay attention to priority mode...

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

You have to turn 2FA off and then back on. It's a security feature that you cannot add a 2FA device to an account that already has 2FA enabled, although I somewhat dispute that the workflow has to be quite so fiddly.
Of course if you saved your QR code or use something like Authy you can get around this limitation.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Of course if you saved your QR code or use something like Authy you can get around this limitation.
I feel that both of these would be reducing the additional security of using 2FA in the first place, though I admit that I'm not entirely familiar with how Authy works.

We actually may have had this exact conversation before, I certainly remember planning to ask about it but not sure I ever did.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Tunga posted:

Isnt there a 'move to a different phone' link in security settings. Fairly sure I used something like that recently

e:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

I feel that both of these would be reducing the additional security of using 2FA in the first place, though I admit that I'm not entirely familiar with how Authy works.

We actually may have had this exact conversation before, I certainly remember planning to ask about it but not sure I ever did.
Now let me start out by saying that I get the impression it's less secure too, but the reason I use it is because it makes 2FA so easy that now I turn it on everywhere, all the time, with no trusted devices meaning that it's more secure for me because I don't have to trust my phone.

It works like this:

You set up an account with Authy that's your phone number and an email. It doesn't have to be the phone number of the phone you're using Authy on and you can proceed with an SMS or phone call cross-checked with the email. Then you set up your 2FA accounts on Authy like you normally would.

You then can set up sync so that wherever you have Authy you have your tokens. This requires the use of a sync password which can be as complex as you'd like. Whenever you activate a new Authy client you must verify with the phone or using a previously authorized Authy client and to decrypt the tokens on a client you need the sync password so in order to use the sync feature to take your passwords on a new device a thief would need the phone number and control of it and the sync password.

To enter the client you either need a PIN (mobile) or a password (desktop). This is not the same as the sync password.

Does that make sense? I keep mulling it around in my head and with how easy it makes it to use 2FA everywhere it sure seems like it should be broken but I can't figure out how.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Tunga posted:

It's probably a bit less secure, but I keep a printed copy of each barcode in our important documents fire safe lock box in the event that my wife would need to add them to her phone to access my accounts. I've only got two accounts with 2FA that I would actually consider important, though.

Also make this issue of setting things back up after a reset easier.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Facebook's app can gently caress right off. Does anyone at Facebook even use it?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I've been using the Facebook app for as long as I've had a smartphone and I've never really had any major issues with it :shrug:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

dik-dik posted:

I've been using the Facebook app for as long as I've had a smartphone and I've never really had any major issues with it :shrug:

Same here, squeaky wheel, grease, etc.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Skarsnik posted:

Isnt there a 'move to a different phone' link in security settings. Fairly sure I used something like that recently

e:

Yeah, all you have to do is scan a new QR code. It used to be terrible, but that makes it much much better.

I used it a little while ago to switch to Authy, which is in my opinion superior to the Google Authenticator. I just never heard of it until a little while ago. v:shobon:v

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.authy.authy&hl=en
https://www.authy.com/

LastInLine posted:

I keep mulling it around in my head and with how easy it makes it to use 2FA everywhere it sure seems like it should be broken but I can't figure out how.

Same here. I've used 2FA with my personal Google account for years, and it was always a huge hassle. Authy makes it so easy that I turned it on for my Github, Microsoft, and Facebook account. I just can't lose any of my devices and have people figure out my PIN... :tinfoil:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mogomra posted:

Same here. I've used 2FA with my personal Google account for years, and it was always a huge hassle. Authy makes it so easy... I just can't lose any of my devices and have people figure out my PIN... :tinfoil:
I think the point of 2FA isn't to prevent someone who stole your device from accessing it, the point is to prevent someone not on your devices from accessing your accounts. If they already have access to your devices I'd say the game is lost regardless of whether you use 2FA.

The way that Authy makes 2FA less secure is that your second factor is in the cloud and therefore certainly at risk in a way that it wouldn't be if only one device had a valid token. That's why the security to get into Authy isn't (that) important, but the security for setting up Authy is critical.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

LastInLine posted:

I think the point of 2FA isn't to prevent someone who stole your device from accessing it, the point is to prevent someone not on your devices from accessing your accounts. If they already have access to your devices I'd say the game is lost regardless of whether you use 2FA.

The way that Authy makes 2FA less secure is that your second factor is in the cloud and therefore certainly at risk in a way that it wouldn't be if only one device had a valid token. That's why the security to get into Authy isn't (that) important, but the security for setting up Authy is critical.

True. If I were Stallman, I'd probably murder anyone who used Authy.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mogomra posted:

Yeah, all you have to do is scan a new QR code. It used to be terrible, but that makes it much much better.
This generates a new QR code so you have to re-add the account to every device that you have the authenticator on. It's annoying if you have, say two tablet and now you bought a new phone and just want to swap that one out.

I used to just moved Google Authenticator around with Titanium but haven't felt the need to root since Lollipop.

Will check out Authy though, it sounds decent.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

404notfound posted:

Oh look, the Facebook app changed again and now makes an annoying little chirp whenever it finishes refreshing. And there's still no way to configure your news feed to be chronological. And when you do manage to find the most recent section, it now takes up the full screen and doesn't show you if you have any new notifications until you back out of the page.

Why am I still using this app :geno:

never update the facebook app unless you have to, every new version is worse than the one that came before.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Thanks everyone. I'll try the move to a new phone link. Didn't try that earlier as this isn't a new phone, just factory reset. I find a lot of the 2FA jargon difficult at best.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I've been using APW for my calendar widget for a long time, but, for some reason, it doesn't seem to want to display my events in the same color that I have assigned in Google. I was wondering if anyone knew of an alternative widget that has a month display that also has the event title displayed on it? All the ones I've seen either show my agenda for the day, the month with markers for the days I have events, or both of those things combined, but no other one seems to what I'm looking for.

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud
Anyone else using SwiftKey on Lollipop and having an issue where randomly flow stops working unitl you send a message or toggle keyboards? It's happening fairly regularly. I kind of assumed/hoped it was just a Nexus 5 bug, but now it's happening on my brand new Moto X ever since it updated last night.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
You big babies, there's a toggle in the most recent Facebook to turn off those sounds. I can confirm that it turns off the beep after it updates the news feed.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Karthe posted:

You big babies, there's a toggle in the most recent Facebook to turn off those sounds. I can confirm that it turns off the beep after it updates the news feed.

Yeah, it's super easy to turn off I don't see why anyone thinks this is a big deal.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

dik-dik posted:

Yeah, it's super easy to turn off I don't see why anyone thinks this is a big deal.

I FEAR CHANGE

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
420 gently caress FACEBOOK

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Yossarko posted:

What's the best way to sync a folder of photos from my desktop (or the web) to my Nexus 5 running Lollipop. I don't need to sync in the other directon, I just want to be able to view the photos easily
QuickPic has a whole ton of cloud photo services supported in it and is a great image viewer anyway.

Skeezy posted:

Any good live wallpapers out there.
Someone turned me on to Abstract Art and it's still my favorite. I disable the character in the center though because I'm a humbug.

dik-dik posted:

I always had to leave notifications off because if I so much as let it tell me when someone sent a direct message, it would think I also want to know when anyone posts anything at random times. Maybe they fixed that at some point but I just left it off and kept it silent to use for logging into other apps :shrug:

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

CrashCat posted:

I always had to leave notifications off because if I so much as let it tell me when someone sent a direct message, it would think I also want to know when anyone posts anything at random times. Maybe they fixed that at some point but I just left it off and kept it silent to use for logging into other apps :shrug:

I'm not exactly sure if this is what you're talking about, but you can enable notifications for Facebook messenger while leaving all other Facebook notifications, sounds, etc. turned off, and you have been able to do this for as long as I can remember.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I want the new McElroy podcast http://www.maximumfun.org/shows/adventure-zone but I've been searching for it on Pocketcasts and it just isn't showing up at all. Is there a way to force pocketcasts to find it, using an url or something? I know nothing about RSS.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

greatn posted:

I want the new McElroy podcast http://www.maximumfun.org/shows/adventure-zone but I've been searching for it on Pocketcasts and it just isn't showing up at all. Is there a way to force pocketcasts to find it, using an url or something? I know nothing about RSS.
+, magnifying glass, paste feed URL.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Where is the feed url though? I tried pasting http://adventurezone.libsyn.com/rss but that seems to not work.

edit: Actually that worked the third time I tried it I must have been putting in a typo, thanks

greatn fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 5, 2014

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So, has anyone else been getting staright-up ads in Gmail lately? I was under my Promotions tab and this ad is in-line with the rest of my emails and was bolded like it was an unread message. I swipe it away and it comes up with "Ad Dismissed" so it's not like a spam email.

That's... that's kinda crummy if this is gonna be a thing from now on. :(

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

That's been a thing for a while. But, I barely ever notice them (and I can only recall ever seeing them in my Promotions tab).

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Oh, well if it just stays in my Promotions tab, then I guess that's not too bad. Still weird, but I can live with it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

pulp rag posted:

Oh, well if it just stays in my Promotions tab, then I guess that's not too bad. Still weird, but I can live with it.
It could be worse, Yahoo's desktop site now puts unremovable adverts that look like emails at the top of my Inbox.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

I don't know if this belongs here or in the phone thread, but for the last 4 days, I have been repeatedly getting calls from some random number in brazil, like a dozen times a day, same number each time. It's international, so I don't even want to pick it up and see if it's just somebody with the wrong number. How do I block these? My old Galaxy S3 had a block caller option, but I can't find anything similar on my Nexus 5. Can I configure Voice in some way to just block this one number? I use my carrier (AT&T) voicemail at the moment.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Viper915 posted:

I don't know if this belongs here or in the phone thread, but for the last 4 days, I have been repeatedly getting calls from some random number in brazil, like a dozen times a day, same number each time. It's international, so I don't even want to pick it up and see if it's just somebody with the wrong number. How do I block these? My old Galaxy S3 had a block caller option, but I can't find anything similar on my Nexus 5. Can I configure Voice in some way to just block this one number? I use my carrier (AT&T) voicemail at the moment.

Google Voice can block the number. Check out the settings on google.com/voice

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Viper915 posted:

Easiest way in my opinion is to add the number to a contact and set that contact as "straight to voicemail".

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
In the Gmail app for android how do you change the background and the account icons?

I've changed the account icons in Google+, and on the iOS gmail app the different account icons show up, but I haven't been able to get it to work in android. One of the accounts has the different icon, but the background is the standard, and not the background I have set in Google+.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
So this is loving fantastic. I was playing a game on my phone and got a call on my Google Voice number through Hangouts, and I couldn't answer the goddamn phone. WTF?!

Edit: It seems the entire Hangouts dialer is being flaky. Since I switched to it a few months ago, I haven't had any problems using touch-tone phone trees, but now it isn't getting detected.

hooah fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 5, 2014

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Can someone please explain how to share a loving playlist I have on Google play music? I link people and they can't listen. It's set to public.

I'm on lollipop on an n5 if it matters.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

nerve posted:

Can someone please explain how to share a loving playlist I have on Google play music? I link people and they can't listen. It's set to public.

I'm on lollipop on an n5 if it matters.

They have to be subscribers also, I'm pretty sure. It's not like Spotify where they can listen even if they don't subscribe to the service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

They have to be subscribers also, I'm pretty sure. It's not like Spotify where they can listen even if they don't subscribe to the service.

Ugh okay, thank you.

• Locked thread