Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

try it with a lime posted:

If you have to convince yourself to like a photo you made, shelving it is usually the best option.

very good advice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I dig this

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Beige posted:

I don't know how I feel about this one. Perhaps having produced so little lately makes me want to like this when in fact it's a very unremarkable image. It is little more than a rushed snapshot but I do feel something for it. I'm so confused, conclicted. What is art anyway?

I don't know why you cut off the top of the lightpost in the front but that alone would ruin the photo for me if it was my own.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
untittled by bgibb187, on Flickr

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

RangerScum posted:

I don't know why you cut off the top of the lightpost in the front but that alone would ruin the photo for me if it was my own.

You're right, it does detract. I think that actually happened in post when I applied lens correction. I tried to save it but this is the best I could do, unfortunately.

Anyway, I appreciate everybody's input on this image. I'll have another go at the 'city at dawn' thing and I'll take a fast prime lens and a tripod instead of leaning on a wall with my kit lens.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

2014-723 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

2014-716 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

i like this one a lot, whatever is cutting up the light is giving some nice depth to the scene

Beige posted:

I don't know how I feel about this one. Perhaps having produced so little lately makes me want to like this when in fact it's a very unremarkable image. It is little more than a rushed snapshot but I do feel something for it. I'm so confused, conclicted. What is art anyway?

i think, given your mindset, this is a photo you should shelve and try again later. i like the scene a lot, there's a sort of classic ~ still brick road ~ feel and then this awkward mish mash of bizarre buildings in the background, but the way they are collected in the frame is it's own oddity

those are my uneducated thoughts on your landscape photo

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Beige posted:

Like others said - shelf it for now.

Then, take another look.

I find it helpful to use your hands or something else (don't do it in software - not nimble enough) to cover up parts of the picture on the screen. It will help you to visually "take the picture apart" and see which parts you like and which you don't. I did this to your picture and it confirmed my hunch, the top containing the sky and the skyline is very "noisy" - that means it has lots of very similar toned shapes with some bright spots in between. It's visually very complex. The bottom half has mostly only the reflections on the wet cobblestone and works better. Especially in juxtaposition with the red rescue ring.

It's not ideal, but it works better than the top half-none the less. Again this is just confirming my hunch, and that's basically all I operate on anyway. You just can hone your photographic hunches to become more reliable over time, and learn to listen to them more carefully.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

deaders posted:

very good advice

You may look at it again a month later and really like it, or realize it looks better with a crop, etc. It's always good to go back and look at shots you weren't sure about before I think.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Liking this one.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

good, great, ok

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
Does a Buddhascape count?

thailand final day-6457 by sildargod, on Flickr

This statue was truly enormous.

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.

This tickles the OCD part of my brain and I love it. Everything fits just so!

Really like the frothy vs still water in this image.

Encountered a gorgeous sunset on my way home from bird photography...which means I unfortunately only had my telephoto zoom handy :(

Sunset Shadows by zacharytong, on Flickr

Sunbeams by zacharytong, on Flickr

polyfractal fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 5, 2014

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Jurong West by alkanphel, on Flickr

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

DSCF1261 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

Rocks.

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Pavilion by rstop bstop, on Flickr

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

really nice

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

yesssssss

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Thanks! Had a hard time getting the colours right but I'm happy with how it turned out.

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

Baron Dirigible posted:

Thanks! Had a hard time getting the colours right but I'm happy with how it turned out.

The colours are one of the striking things about it. So, yeah, well done.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Only brought Delta 400 on the trip but I knew I wanted chunky grain, so, Rodinal.

Untitled by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Indian River Inlet by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Wonderland by alkanphel, on Flickr

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Been trying to pay more attention to shapes, lines, etc.

The Aquarium by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Posting phonepics edited on my pc, via my phone, a new adventure

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
You can see I-83 down the middle in this. I kind of like it.

Baltimore Split by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Thanksgiving by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

vxsarin fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 8, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Portal by straygiraffe, on Flickr

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

The textures on all those green things is rad

murp
May 30, 2007

DSC_3753 by Dingus Falcon, on Flickr

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I enjoy using my telephoto indoors for some reason. I think I like taking pictures of individual objects (from far away) more than entire scenes. Probably because I'm lazy and poo poo and can't handle more than two or three elements at once.

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

blargh

IMG_6033 by s-bothun, on Flickr
IMG_6043 by s-bothun, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Supertrees in Wonderland by alkanphel, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU