Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Ninjasaurus posted:

Romney is the comedy/schadenfreude option we all want to be nominated again because he'll never be President and it's funny to see him try.

Every time someone posts this, I hear the voice of Richard Milhous Nixon in my ear, and I turn a stark shade of pale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Chokes McGee posted:

Every time someone posts this, I hear the voice of Richard Milhous Nixon in my ear, and I turn a stark shade of pale.

Somehow I don't think Romney is today's Nixon.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Ninjasaurus posted:

One other thing I probably should tell you because if we don't they'll probably be saying this about me too, we did get something—a gift—after the election. A man down in Texas heard Ann on the radio mention the fact that her multiple sclerosis would like to be treated. And, believe it or not, the day before we left on this campaign trip we got a message from Union Station in Baltimore saying they had a package for us. We went down to get it. You know what it was?

It was a little Oldenburg horse in a crate that he'd sent all the way from Texas. Milk chocolate brown. And our little son — Craig, the 16-year-old—named it Rafalca. And you know, the kids, like all kids, love the horse and I just want to say this right now, that regardless of what they say about it, we're gonna keep it.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

The Warszawa posted:

:thejoke: in case it wasn't clear (though I like Booker, certainly more than most around here).

amanasleep posted:

I like Booker because he's a gifted politician with charisma who plays the game for team D. He has many awful political stances which may or may not be sincere.
Wait, I thought the Cory Booker hatred was mostly just a joke about mcmagic having some sort of personal vendetta against him. I mean Booker's "awful stances" boil down to "charter schools, pro-Israel, and anti-Iran" with the latter two not being that unusual in most of America, and definitely not unusual for New Jersey considering that a sizable chunk of Booker's constituents are Jewish. On basically every other issue he's either a party line Democrat or somewhat to very progressive, and he's especially progressive on drug issues.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He's been above average in the Senate so far. There hasn't been any major bills dealing with financial institutions, which is the area he may be bad on. His campaign platform is moderately anti-big banks, but not even Chuck Schumer is explicitly pro-big banks, so we'll have to see when it comes up.
Like here, he's already starting to the left of a bunch of Democrats; if he's even slightly anti-bank I'll take it given how much Wall Street money bleeds over into New Jersey. I mean seriously, my Senators are John Cornyn and Ted Cruz, so from my perspective Booker is an insanely good Senator. All I have to look forward to in 2016 is Cruz going on the warpath and destroying everything in 2016 Republican primary, and then maybe (at best) being replaced with an establishment Republican Senator afterward.

Cruz on the warpath is gonna fun as hell to watch though, with just a slight undercurrent of "oh God if something fucks up really bad we could have President Cruz".:allears::hf::ohdear:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 3, 2014

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Chamale posted:

One other thing I probably should tell you because if we don't they'll probably be saying this about me too, we did get something—a gift—after the election. A man down in Texas heard Ann on the radio mention the fact that her multiple sclerosis would like to be treated. And, believe it or not, the day before we left on this campaign trip we got a message from Union Station in Baltimore saying they had a package for us. We went down to get it. You know what it was?

It was a little Oldenburg horse in a crate that he'd sent all the way from Texas. Milk chocolate brown. And our little son — Craig, the 16-year-old—named it Rafalca. And you know, the kids, like all kids, love the horse and I just want to say this right now, that regardless of what they say about it, we're gonna keep it.

You should respect America and its Olympic athletes. She's the best god drat dancing horse this side of the Atlantic and this is the respect she gets?

Edit: This just goes to show Democrats are the true culprits in the war on women. The true colors come out when politics come into play.

Lote fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 3, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Yeah McCain would really shake things up with his unique gifts.

-Ancient, dusty bones
-Hated by everyone
-Makes worse decisions than George W. Bush

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Bernie has released a campaign manifesto economic policy plan.

quote:

* Invest in our crumbling infrastructure with a major program to create jobs by rebuilding roads, bridges, water systems, waste water plants, airports, railroads and schools.

* Transform energy systems away from fossil fuels to create jobs while beginning to reverse global warming and make the planet habitable for future generations.

* Develop new economic models to support workers in the United States instead of giving tax breaks to corporations which ship jobs to low-wage countries overseas.

* Make it easier for workers to join unions and bargain for higher wages and benefits.

* Raise the federal minimum wage from $7.25 an hour so no one who works 40 hours a week will live in poverty.

* Provide equal pay for women workers who now make 78 percent of what male counterparts make.

* Reform trade policies that have shuttered more than 60,000 factories and cost more than 4.9 million decent-paying manufacturing jobs.

* Make college affordable and provide affordable child care to restore America’s competitive edge compared to other nations.

* Break up big banks. The six largest banks now have assets equivalent to 61 percent of our gross domestic product, over $9.8 trillion. They underwrite more than half the mortgages in the country and issue more than two-thirds of all credit cards.

* Join the rest of the industrialized world with a Medicare-for-all health care system that provides better care at less cost.

* Expand Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and nutrition programs.

* Reform the tax code based on wage earners’ ability to pay and eliminate loopholes that let profitable corporations stash profits overseas and pay no U.S. federal income taxes.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Ninjasaurus posted:

I haven't seen The War Room. Is it worth watching?

A bit late, but one of the best documentaries on campaigns, "Our Brand is Crisis":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V3mE5beWuQ

President of Bolivia hires Carville and a bunch of other Americans to help his re-election campaign.

What's extra weird is how perfect Goni's American accent is (He spent his early life in the USA).

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Christie is far and away the best politician in the Republican field, and the most adept at tapping into the raw id that drives the modern republican party. Unfortunately or fortunately he's also a giant (lol fat) walking stereoytpe of the Yankee rear end in a top hat and I don't know how that will play outside of the northeast.

Christie utterly fails the "looks presidential" test and I'm not talking about his weight. People might love Governor rear end in a top hat but there's no way those same people would let him be president.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Sometimes, you need a genuine commie running in your party to force the opposition into a worse negotiating position. "You think the YoungGuns are bad? Just wait 'til you see the Col. Sanders."

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Joementum posted:

I genuinely don't understand why leftists are always against trade policies that end up exporting jobs. Do people really want to work a poo poo job that someone in another country will do for a buck fifty an hour? Wouldn't it be better to leave the trade agreements intact and create good jobs instead, that people don't hate as much and that can have a salary that can be spent on the nice cheap goods from free trade?

I mean, as long as the government is doing something, it might as well be something you actually like, right?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I genuinely don't understand why leftists are always against trade policies that end up exporting jobs. Do people really want to work a poo poo job that someone in another country will do for a buck fifty an hour? Wouldn't it be better to leave the trade agreements intact and create good jobs instead, that people don't hate as much and that can have a salary that can be spent on the nice cheap goods from free trade?

I mean, as long as the government is doing something, it might as well be something you actually like, right?

I don't think they would oppose that per se, except that these sorts of factory closures tend to leave older people badly positioned to seek new jobs as (generally speaking) these factory jobs are often the centerpiece of a community and, while there may be opportunities elsewhere, they require training and relocation that may be out of the question for a 50-year-old blue collar worker who would have to start earning seniority all over again. Never mind gutting the communities that depend on them.

EDIT: In short, it's easy and fast to put 1,000 factory workers out of a job by shuttering down a single factory. It's often expensive and time-consuming to build 1,000 new jobs in new industries, because growth always takes time. It's harder to build than destroy.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 3, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I don't think they would oppose that per se, except that these sorts of factory closures tend to leave older people badly positioned to seek new jobs as (generally speaking) these factory jobs are often the centerpiece of a community and, while there may be opportunities elsewhere, they require training and relocation that may be out of the question for a 50-year-old blue collar worker who would have to start earning seniority all over again. Never mind gutting the communities that depend on them.

EDIT: In short, it's easy and fast to put 1,000 factory workers out of a job by shuttering down a single factory. It's often expensive and time-consuming to build 1,000 new jobs in new industries, because growth always takes time. It's harder to build than destroy.

It seems like reasonable welfare/unemployment programs would deal with that, though.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Also, manufacturing jobs were kind of the bedrock of unions and the middle class for several decades. Even though those jobs are probably gone forever, at least waxing rhapsodic about bringing them back makes for good talking points. Although I suppose the transition of support jobs (call centers, tech support, medical imaging, lab work, programming, etc) overseas is definitely something to be concerned about since those jobs are still around and are kind of important white-collar middle class jobs.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

sullat posted:

Also, manufacturing jobs were kind of the bedrock of unions and the middle class for several decades. Even though those jobs are probably gone forever, at least waxing rhapsodic about bringing them back makes for good talking points. Although I suppose the transition of support jobs (call centers, tech support, medical imaging, lab work, programming, etc) overseas is definitely something to be concerned about since those jobs are still around and are kind of important white-collar middle class jobs.

Outsourcing lab work is one of those things where the market will correct itself because there's a reason why it's cheaper over there.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

computer parts posted:

Outsourcing lab work is one of those things where the market will correct itself because there's a reason why it's cheaper over there.

You want the market to correct itself before or after the flood of malpractice suits? In terms of say, drug research, well, the big pharma wants specific results, so if it can get yes-research cheaper overseas than it can here, well, there's really no incentive to move back.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

sullat posted:

You want the market to correct itself before or after the flood of malpractice suits? In terms of say, drug research, well, the big pharma wants specific results, so if it can get yes-research cheaper overseas than it can here, well, there's really no incentive to move back.

Yes, that was the joke.

The obvious solution there is to have the FDA not allow research from a non-reputed source (which is fairly trivial to maintain).

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Sure, but given that there's only one party proposing building ever, might as well go whole hog.

sullat posted:

Also, manufacturing jobs were kind of the bedrock of unions and the middle class for several decades. Even though those jobs are probably gone forever, at least waxing rhapsodic about bringing them back makes for good talking points.
Hadn't considered this, and I'm convinced.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

evilweasel posted:

I mean as an independent. He's just get thrashed in the primary, but an independent candidate like Webb runs the risk of peeling off enough Democratic support in states like Virginia or Ohio to throw the general.

As if Webb isn't running to be Hillary's defense secretary.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

evilweasel posted:

I mean as an independent. He's just get thrashed in the primary, but an independent candidate like Webb runs the risk of peeling off enough Democratic support in states like Virginia or Ohio to throw the general.

How exactly would getting thrashed in a poorly thought out Democratic Primary campaign set Webb up for an independent party bid? Realistically there is really only one necessary/sufficient qualification for an indpendant bid: obscenely large reserves of personal wealth.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

BiggerBoat posted:

They'll just put the "clown car" candidate in the VP slot if it comes to that but I'm still not entirely certain that the GOP is convinced they need far right the crazy vote.
Putting a crazy in the VP slot didn't work out so well with McCain/Palin - or was that mainly because of concerns about McCain's health making the VP candidate an issue?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

comes along bort posted:

As if Webb isn't running to be Hillary's defense secretary.

A few people I know jumped off the Hillary train as soon as Webb made a move at all.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

computer parts posted:

Yes, that was the joke.

The obvious solution there is to have the FDA not allow research from a non-reputed source (which is fairly trivial to maintain).

This goes for programming as well although a lot of companies are fortunately finding this out on their own.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Cliff Racer posted:

Christie utterly fails the "looks presidential" test and I'm not talking about his weight. People might love Governor rear end in a top hat but there's no way those same people would let him be president.
I want to try to make some comparison to a right-wing Al Smith, but every analogy I try to make ends up sounding convoluted.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Putting a crazy in the VP slot didn't work out so well with McCain/Palin - or was that mainly because of concerns about McCain's health making the VP candidate an issue?

If I recall, the polling in 2008 went from "clear Obama victory" to "too close to call" from the Palin announcement until the bottom fell out of the stock market, but this was mostly because so many people didn't realize how loopy she was yet rather than because that sold well. She was just picked for being young, an outsider, and not a white dude.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Killer robot posted:

If I recall, the polling in 2008 went from "clear Obama victory" to "too close to call" from the Palin announcement until the bottom fell out of the stock market, but this was mostly because so many people didn't realize how loopy she was yet rather than because that sold well. She was just picked for being young, an outsider, and not a white dude.

It was almost entirely from the convention bump, which always happens for both parties every cycle. Initially, she excited the conservative base to no end, who weren't fond of McCain at all, but after a couple of weeks the things she said started alienating everyone else.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

sullat posted:

There are obviously far more nuances involved and sometimes companies just plain make bad decisions, but generally speaking companies are not going to outsource work unless it's to save money. So if the widget factory is sent to Mexico, US workers' wages are decreased (because the jobs are cut) but corporate profits are increased.

The reactionary approach is to stop making the trade agreements that are leading to this outsourcing, and I can see why Sanders would go in this direction given that Congress seems incapable of looking past the next fiscal year (and usually not even that far). But if he's making a wish list of policies, why not open up trade and then tax the corporate profits that result from outsourcing? Use that money to build research labs, bridges, schools, etc, and put that money right back in the hands of people for doing productive work. And as a bonus, everyone gets cheaper widgets.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Killer robot posted:

Not really. State level polling always had Obama ahead from basically July onwards.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
McCain just about almost nearly tied it up if you were reaching for it. But that was his post-convention bounce and those always fade. The fact that it couldn't even give him a little bit of a lead meant that he was basically hosed. And bear in mind, that is his whole convention, not just Palin.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
I'm fully cognizant that Sanders potential candidacy has a less than zero chance of ultimately succeeding, but if it can just get medicare for all into the political lexicon that would be fantastic.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

I'm fully cognizant that Sanders potential candidacy has a less than zero chance of ultimately succeeding, but if it can just get medicare for all into the political lexicon that would be fantastic.

I don't think healthcare is going to be another topic until all the employer plans get disbanded due to the Cadillac Tax (so probably another decade or so).

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Ninjasaurus posted:

Counterpoint: Political standards have really fallen in the last few decades.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

computer parts posted:

I don't think healthcare is going to be another topic until all the employer plans get disbanded due to the Cadillac Tax (so probably another decade or so).

But they can't get disbanded because of the employer mandate. No, you'll just have to live with your barely affordable bronze plan.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ComradeCosmobot posted:

But they can't get disbanded because of the employer mandate. No, you'll just have to live with your barely affordable bronze plan.

Paying that fine might be cheaper than the tax (a 40% tax on health insurance).

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Killer robot posted:

It's explained since your post but it bears emphasis: Post Convention Bump is a really well known and consistent phenomenon, and an old one. The exact same thing happened with the Ferraro announcement, there was a significant post convention bounce from the DNC and Ferraro buzz that brought the Mondale ticket tied or even slightly in the lead in some polls but was a transient phenomenon and not a true reflection of the state of the race.

So stuff like the poll effects bringing a losing ticket "even" with a winning ticket for a time is just a moron magnet for people who aren't long term political junkies who should know better to get all excited about it and for political beat reporters to grind out race narrative copy.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

I don't think Sanders' goal is to win, it's to see what he can do to drive the winner to the left.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cliff Racer posted:

The fact that it couldn't even give him a little bit of a lead meant that he was basically hosed. And bear in mind, that is his whole convention, not just Palin.
The economy taking a huge greasy crap really did him in. IIRC, he "suspended his campaign" or something to sit around and do something else? And that just didn't play well with the public at all.

Plus there was all that "fiscal responsible no Big Government!" talk from Palin that backfired when folks found out she ran Wasilla into the red and built a $5 million ice hockey rink.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Pictured: the Clinton strategy for putting AR, KY, and WV in play in 2016.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfU3hI8ML30

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
What everyone already knew is basically 100% official. Hillary Clinton is now meeting with campaign managers for a 2016 run.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/hillary-clinton-meets-campaign-managers

quote:

Report: Hillary Clinton Is Meeting With Potential Campaign Managers

Hillary Clinton has recently met with two of the names most frequently floated to be her campaign manager in 2016, should she choose to run, Politico reported Thursday.

She met Wednesday with Guy Cecil, who oversaw the national Democratic Senate campaign arm during the 2014 election, according to Politico's sources. Clinton has also met with Robby Mook, who ran Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe's 2013 campaign, though Politico could not secure firmer details of the meeting.

The specific substance of the meetings was not disclosed.

Stephanie Schriock, president of Emily's List and the other name that pops up as a possible manager, demurred when asked by reporters earlier this month if she had had any discussions with Clinton about a potential role in a campaign.

Mook, who worked on Clinton's 2008 bid, is most commonly portrayed as the frontrunner for the spot. A leak of messages from his private email list last month suggested as much.

"Happens to the frontrunner," as one Democratic source put it to TPM when discussing the leak.

Robby Mook, who ran Martin O'Malley's first Gubernatorial Campaign, Howard Dean's 2002 Gubernatorial and 2004 Presidential Campaign, and T-Mac's 2013 Virginia Gubernatorial Campaign is the front runner.

Other potentials include:

Stephanie Schriock, President of Emily's List, finance director for Howard Dean's 2004 presidential campaign, campaign manager for Al Franken in 2008, and campaign manager for Jon Tester in 2006.
Guy Cecil, who was head of the DSCC in 2006 and 2014 and also on Hillary's 2008 Campaign.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Now quickly, strangle Mark Penn with a silken cord.

• Locked thread