Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Kodilynn posted:

That's not bad. I'm sure the number crunchers and gen pop on the SE forums will say otherwise, but overall the TP usage could be much more compared to how easy it is to spam damage eternally without TP loss. Ninjitsu dealing less damage sucks, but the spikes you could get out of it were a tad ridiculous.

1% less damage is barely anything over an extended fight, and at least in my group I'll be singing paeon for either me or the monk anyway, so the TP nerfs are inconsequential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

ilifinicus posted:

Ninja nerfs are in:
10 more TP cost for Aeolian Edge and Shadow Fang
Both poisons changed to only affect physical damage, meaning ninjutsus like Suiton and Raiton now deal 20% less damage.

Based on some quick napkin maths this amounts to around 1% damage loss for Ninja, so it's not very significant. Final verdict will of course have to come once it goes live.

*cut to a shot of a Dragoon sitting on a porch, he looks up for a second, excited, and then returns to his depressed rocking, perhaps even a little smaller than before*

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006

bonewitch posted:

1% less damage is barely anything over an extended fight, and at least in my group I'll be singing paeon for either me or the monk anyway, so the TP nerfs are inconsequential.

Agreed, this seems like nothing really which is great since I just got NIN to 50 2 days ago. Hooray for functionally useful DPS! Now let's see how the DRG stuff goes...

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

ilifinicus posted:

I'm 10% done with my second Nexus PLEASE SEND HELP

Aren't you the person talking about how important min/maxing dungeons is because his time is too valuable to be wasted by pubbies who play in anything but an optimal fashion?

L O L

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

PhilippAchtel posted:

Aren't you the person talking about how important min/maxing dungeons is because his time is too valuable to be wasted by pubbies who play in anything but an optimal fashion?

L O L

epic XD

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
So, I owned this game on the PS3 but now that I have a PS4 I'd like to maybe play it on that system. Do I really have to re-purchase it at full price in order to do so again or is there some sort of system-transfer discount? I owned it both physically and digitally, somehow.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So, I owned this game on the PS3 but now that I have a PS4 I'd like to maybe play it on that system. Do I really have to re-purchase it at full price in order to do so again or is there some sort of system-transfer discount? I owned it both physically and digitally, somehow.

If you have a PS3 copy you can get a digital Ps4 copy for free.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

BottledBodhisvata posted:

all your needs~~~

if you don't read it it turns your ps3 copy into a ps4 copy so you won't be able to use the ps3 one anymore

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Hot diggity drat! Thanks a lot.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Rei_ posted:

*cut to a shot of a Dragoon sitting on a porch, he looks up for a second, excited, and then returns to his depressed rocking, perhaps even a little smaller than before*

As a DRG, my problem is/was less the NIN overpoweredness and more my own class's shortcomings, so I'm just excitedly waiting for the specific DRG buff details.

All of us DPS can get along in harmony v:shobon:v

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

pksage posted:

As a DRG, my problem is/was less the NIN overpoweredness and more my own class's shortcomings, so I'm just excitedly waiting for the specific DRG buff details.

All of us DPS can get along in harmony v:shobon:v

I've been unsuccessfully trying to get my groups ninja to switch to dragoon so i can get big bard dps

It's not going well :smith:

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

ilifinicus posted:

Ninja nerfs are in:
10 more TP cost for Aeolian Edge and Shadow Fang
Both poisons changed to only affect physical damage, meaning ninjutsus like Suiton and Raiton now deal 20% less damage.

Based on some quick napkin maths this amounts to around 1% damage loss for Ninja, so it's not very significant. Final verdict will of course have to come once it goes live.

I got an estimate of 2.6% with only factoring the poison nerf as I don't know poo poo about ninja tp. It's not the apocalypse it could have been but since they were really only around 10% higher than dragoons and dragoons are about to get a buff this will definitely be interesting.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Belzac posted:

I got an estimate of 2.6% with only factoring the poison nerf as I don't know poo poo about ninja tp. It's not the apocalypse it could have been but since they were really only around 10% higher than dragoons and dragoons are about to get a buff this will definitely be interesting.
Where are you getting the figure from?

I did it with a 5 min parse on a dummy (using non raid gear)
144541 total damage
9211 of that from Suiton and Raiton
That's 6.3725% of the total damage done. Now cut 16.666% from that (6.3725/1.6666) and you get 5.46, so 0.91% less.

edit: math is hard, 16.66% less not 20% less

ilifinicus fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 4, 2014

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

ilifinicus posted:

Where are you getting the figure from?

I did it with a 5 min parse on a dummy (using non raid gear)
144541 total damage
9211 of that from Suiton and Raiton
That's 6.3725% of the total damage done. Now cut 20% from that (6.3725/1.2) and you get 5.31, so roughly 1% less.

I was just mathing out the potency of 1 Suiton, 1 Raiton, and 1 crit Raiton every minute and comparing the total before and after the nerf and then extrapolating that against a 500 dps parse.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Come expansion time, I'm going to play Dark Knight tank, Ninja dps.

I'm a 12 year old boy again :negative: I just need to go post on gamefaqs and argue about jrpg superiority and the circle of life will be complete.

(ok I might dps as whatever the gunner turns out to be if the animations are suitably awesome)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

victrix posted:

Come expansion time, I'm going to play Dark Knight tank, Ninja dps.

I'm a 12 year old boy again :negative: I just need to go post on gamefaqs and argue about jrpg superiority and the circle of life will be complete.

(ok I might dps as whatever the gunner turns out to be if the animations are suitably awesome)
I remember statements that the gunshooter class would "not be what we expect" and since I'd expect a DPS class, maybe we're getting Chemist or something.

And given how much more fun I find Rogue/Ninja than the other, earlier DPS classes I've tried I am also quite looking forward to Dark Knight.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Zereth posted:

I remember statements that the gunshooter class would "not be what we expect" and since I'd expect a DPS class, maybe we're getting Chemist or something.

And given how much more fun I find Rogue/Ninja than the other, earlier DPS classes I've tried I am also quite looking forward to Dark Knight.

Calling it now: Guntank mediator.

"Would you kindly stop hitting me so my ally can heal me? Thanks *BLAM*"

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Zereth posted:

I still think Death Knight is (or, at least, was at one time) the best designed class in WoW, thematically and mechanically consistent, fun resource system, fun to play.

I'm hoping the Dark Knight has that same sort of 'hey, we know what worked before, let's make something even cooler guys.' in terms of working with FF14's mechanics.

Although that said, I loved playing my Warrior, so when I get around to resubbing if they're still awesome I may stick with it, we'll see. I'll probably do both. Two two handers is a four hander :colbert:

Grinding my way up to the binding coil at launch and then being unable to do it because my guild was too small/incapable and pugs didn't want a warrior tank made me unsub.

Hopefully a transfer to Excalibur and a years worth of patches will avoid that kind of problem this time around :unsmith:

Neat Machine
May 5, 2008

heh
I made a new guy and want to play rogue/ninja. How long will that take me to get to?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Fancy Corndog posted:

I made a new guy and want to play rogue/ninja. How long will that take me to get to?

2 hours? Maybe 4?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

victrix posted:

I still think Death Knight is (or, at least, was at one time) the best designed class in WoW, thematically and mechanically consistent, fun resource system, fun to play.

I'm hoping the Dark Knight has that same sort of 'hey, we know what worked before, let's make something even cooler guys.' in terms of working with FF14's mechanics.

Although that said, I loved playing my Warrior, so when I get around to resubbing if they're still awesome I may stick with it, we'll see. I'll probably do both. Two two handers is a four hander :colbert:

Grinding my way up to the binding coil at launch and then being unable to do it because my guild was too small/incapable and pugs didn't want a warrior tank made me unsub.

Hopefully a transfer to Excalibur and a years worth of patches will avoid that kind of problem this time around :unsmith:

Death knights were a blast in WotLK. I didn't play past that expansion but I kept hearing that they got overhauled for the next expansion and it seems like the development didn't know what they wanted them to be. The core mechanic of WoW style DKs at the time, namely using DoTs and spells that exploit said DoTs for fun and profit, where pretty much co-opted by Summoner sans being able to tank.

When I look at a FF14 DRK, in my mind's eye I'm comparing it to FF11. It falls apart in that comparison because FF11's core DK concept (namely strong buffs that open yourself up to counterattacked and lifestealing heavy armor fighter) have basically been co-opted by 14's Warrior and Dragoon.

The next stop in my mind's eye is to make DRK some sort of heavy sword using wizard tank. Give him the en-element and elemental spikes, Give him a stance that allows him to use his strength score for magic damage, give him more of a potential ranged presence than WAR and PAL. Make his niche be more of an ability to soak magic damage.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Your minds eye can see a bunch of poo poo apparently

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Belzac posted:

I was just mathing out the potency of 1 Suiton, 1 Raiton, and 1 crit Raiton every minute and comparing the total before and after the nerf and then extrapolating that against a 500 dps parse.
You only get the extra crit Raiton once every two minutes, not every minute.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I saw that Dark Knight isn't going to have any pre reqs. Did this mean it's going to be a base class?

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
We haven't heard anything about new DPS jobs, right? Only healer and tank are confirmed, and presumably the gun class is the healer?

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I saw that Dark Knight isn't going to have any pre reqs. Did this mean it's going to be a base class?

Seems to be what everyone's assuming.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

pksage posted:

We haven't heard anything about new DPS jobs, right? Only healer and tank are confirmed, and presumably the gun class is the healer?

I don't see us getting a new DPS job, just because we got Rogue/Ninja early.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Seems so. Looks like it'll just be 1-50 Dark Knight, no job/class distinction.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

pksage posted:

With the addition of a healer class, the roles would be perfectly balanced in numbers. 3 tanks, 3 healers, 3 melee, and 3 ranged.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Seems so. Looks like it'll just be 1-50 Dark Knight, no job/class distinction.

The more I think about this, the more I hope that they just apply this to every class and get rid of job crystals. It's such an unnecessary thing.

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006
What other healing gimmick could be done that hasn't already been done by WHM and SCH? I mean, there's dancer, but...

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

With the addition of a healer class, the roles would be perfectly balanced in numbers. 3 tanks, 3 healers, 3 melee, and 3 ranged.

The more I think about this, the more I hope that they just apply this to every class and get rid of job crystals. It's such an unnecessary thing.

The major dilemma there would be disentangling Scholar and Summoner.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Kodilynn posted:

What other healing gimmick could be done that hasn't already been done by WHM and SCH? I mean, there's dancer, but...

Healing via doing damage.

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

Wouldn't that then rely on accuracy from gear to work? That'd suck.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Kodilynn posted:

Wouldn't that then rely on accuracy from gear to work? That'd suck.

Not if they have a trait or stance that grants accuracy from some other source, like Mind or Piety.

Neat Machine
May 5, 2008

heh
If they start randomly adding job/classes like dark knight that don't make any sense in the context of the current class system without overhauling the whole thing it's going to give me autism

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

We also don't have any channeled healing spells yet, or healing spells that are enhanced by or consume extant HoT effects on the target. We don't have any cleave heals (like Chain Heal in WoW), and we don't have any sort of smart heal except for a SCH's fairy left to its own devices. We don't have any healing effects that periodically jump targets.

We also don't have ground target healing for PvE. In fact, the only AoE heals at all are "big circle around caster" and "small circle around target".

And that's just poo poo that other games have already done, they could always come up with new stuff.

Captain Oblivious posted:

The major dilemma there would be disentangling Scholar and Summoner.

If they decide to axe classes, my expectation is that they'll have you start as a class, and then it automatically transforms into a job permanently after you do the job quest at 30. The only back-end difference between the two are the text strings and icons presented to the player. Job crystals could become key items.
And as for scholar, the simple thing to do would be to have them be completely separate from SMN, but they start at level 30 and you can't be one until you do the job unlock quest as either an ACN or a SMN. For everyone that already has it unlocked, just copy their ACN experience points over.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Fancy Corndog posted:

If they start randomly adding job/classes like dark knight that don't make any sense in the context of the current class system without overhauling the whole thing it's going to upset my autism

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Fancy Corndog posted:

If they start randomly adding job/classes like dark knight that don't make any sense in the context of the current class system without overhauling the whole thing it's going to give me autism

There's probably gonna be an overhaul eventually but I expect us to be in a sort of halfway state until 4.0

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Kodilynn posted:

Despite WHM having HoTs, it cant really be categorized as a hot based healer like Druids in WoW or Wardens in Rift. And Scholars having a single shield doesn't really mean they are a shield base healer like Discipline priests in WoW or Purifiers in Rift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

DeathSandwich posted:

Death knights were a blast in WotLK. I didn't play past that expansion but I kept hearing that they got overhauled for the next expansion and it seems like the development didn't know what they wanted them to be. The core mechanic of WoW style DKs at the time, namely using DoTs and spells that exploit said DoTs for fun and profit, where pretty much co-opted by Summoner sans being able to tank.

When I look at a FF14 DRK, in my mind's eye I'm comparing it to FF11. It falls apart in that comparison because FF11's core DK concept (namely strong buffs that open yourself up to counterattacked and lifestealing heavy armor fighter) have basically been co-opted by 14's Warrior and Dragoon.

The next stop in my mind's eye is to make DRK some sort of heavy sword using wizard tank. Give him the en-element and elemental spikes, Give him a stance that allows him to use his strength score for magic damage, give him more of a potential ranged presence than WAR and PAL. Make his niche be more of an ability to soak magic damage.

Summoner has much more in common with Affliction Warlock than DK.

Also Dark Knight has been said to be deriving a lot of its gameplay inspiration from Terror Knights which are debuffing lifesteal tanks and not whatever this dumb "magic defense" idea. Having a tank in an MMO that specializes in being better at mitigating one kind of damage is really stupid unless you want to have gimmick encounters that basically require 1 kind of tank or you can't progress.

• Locked thread