Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokyosexwale
Jan 27, 2008
Best Buy has this Asus 27" IPS Monitor for sale at $209. I'm looking at either that or a 24" IPS Asus. My setup is going to be solely for gaming. I've heard people say that 1920x1080 at 27" is not ideal at that size and it's better to go for 24". Is it really that noticeable of a difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

tokyosexwale posted:

Best Buy has this Asus 27" IPS Monitor for sale at $209. I'm looking at either that or a 24" IPS Asus. My setup is going to be solely for gaming. I've heard people say that 1920x1080 at 27" is not ideal at that size and it's better to go for 24". Is it really that noticeable of a difference?

I have a 27" 2560x1440 monitor, and I think it would have sucked if it was only 1920x1080, the pixel density would be way too low.

Go for the 24" unless you sit kinda far away from your monitor, or if you have bad eyesight, I guess.

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud
I've had to use my 27" monitor which goes to 2560x1440 at the lower resolution because my laptop's crappy HDMI port.

I'm not sure if it would've been a huge deal if I hadn't been used to the higher resolution, but it was definitely pretty pointless. There's so much screen real estate, but because of the low PPI it just results in your head having to move a lot more to absorb the same amount of information.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

The Milkman posted:

What, if any, difference is there between that and their 'Zero G' monitor?
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=114&cp_id=11401&cs_id=1130703&p_id=10509&seq=1&format=2

Looks like the same panel with a different bezel/stand and no displayport/speakers.

I'm in it pretty much solely for gaming, so I'm wondering if actually a 24" 144Hz or w/e is the way to go over a bigger size

Can't really speak for gaming (I'm a Mac guy) but I bought this monitor to use as an external with a 2010 MBP and I feel like I have a whole new computer. It's a great screen.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
I managed to get my hands on a Samsung S24D590PL that was $80 off before they were all sold out and I was wondering if anybody had any experience with Samsung's PLS monitors. From what I understand PLS monitors are similar to IPS, mabe even a bit better, so it should be a decent choice, but I don't see many people with them. It's a 24" 1920x1080 monitor that I'm going to hook up to a GTX 750 Ti (that has a max resolution of 4096x2160), so it should do well.

Before I got this I was going to go with a Acer k242hlbd that was a TN monitor (about the same price as the Samsung), but was told that I'd be better off with an IPS monitor in the computer parts thread.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 29, 2014

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

Narmi posted:

I managed to get my hands on a Samsung S24D590PL that was $80 off before they were all sold out and I was wondering if anybody had any experience with Samsung's PLS monitors. From what I understand PLS monitors are similar to IPS, mabe even a bit better, so it should be a decent choice, but I don't see many people with them. It's a 24" 1920x1080 monitor that I'm going to hook up to a GTX 750 Ti (that has a max resolution of 4096x2160), so it should do well.

Before I got this I was going to go with a Acer k242hlbd that was a TN monitor (about the same price as the Samsung), but was told that I'd be better off with an IPS monitor in the computer parts thread.

I asked about that very same monitor and never got an answer :smith:. Newegg still has it for $140. Did you find it cheaper somewhere?

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
I bought it from Futureshop where it cost $161 (actually $149.99 + $11.50 Environmental Handling Fee), but I'm in Canada so it's way more expensive here - Newegg.ca has the same monitor for $274.99 CAD.

The few reviews I've seen on it have been positive, but there's been so few of them. I can find lots of people who'll talk about IPS and why it's better than TN overall, but because this is a PLS monitor there's not as much information so I'm a bit hesitant to keep it.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
Yeowch, Canada prices. I've had pretty much the same experience trying to research it, just not that many reviews out there to work from. At least it looks like the few bad reviews on Amazon are from people who can't tie their own shoes. I think I've talked myself into giving it a shot unless somebody speaks up before I wake up tomorrow.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...
Samsung U28D590D 4k display at Newegg, $459.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Anyone have a recommendation for a Black Friday/Cyber Monday display in 200$ range or less?

Astiesan
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, about that.

goodness posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a Black Friday/Cyber Monday display in 200$ range or less?

Same, but $300 or less.

I've looked at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260047
Dell U2412M

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007HSKSMI/ref=psdc_1292115011_t2_B0058UUR6E
BenQ RL2455HM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260148
Dell P2314H

If there's anything else compelling in that price range I'm open to suggestions.

I'm leaning towards the BenQ because my primary use is games, and I occassionally stream, so 1920x1200 could get wonky with twitch if I went with the U2412M.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Great deal - $400 for that Samsung 28" 4K

http://m.ebay.com/itm/390978038708?_mwBanner=1

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

nvm, found it on Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0JC-0007-00009

eggyolk fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 30, 2014

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

eggyolk posted:

Does it run at 60hz at that resolution? It's difficult to find information on it.

Looks like yes, over displayport

http://deals.kinja.com/the-best-deal-in-4k-monitors-gets-way-better-1664777852/+shaneroberts

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Saw that the BenQ XL2411Z is on sale for $250 (or is that the new price in general?). This monitor is basically the same as the XL2420, minus Display Port and that silly S Switch thing, right? I don't have any use for those so unless there's something else I'm missing the XL2411Z sounds like the way to go.

I'm trying to find some hard numbers on the input lag, the XL2420 has ~10ms which is perfect, I'm kind of assuming the 2411 will be the same but so far I haven't found anything about it yet. Plus it sounds like messing with the Blur Reduction or running at 120hz may have an effect on it as well, and there's Instant Mode which I'm not real clear on the effects on either.

Anyone tried using the Blur Reduction on consoles before? It sounds like since they only output at 60Hz that the strobe effect might not be really desirable. Any thoughts?

Edit: Found an article that measured the input lag on the XT2411T, still ~10ms without instant and ~2ms with it, so that's a good sign.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 30, 2014

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Does the Samsung 4k monitor push 60hz over hdmi? I'd like a monitor I can hook both my PC and consoles up to. Is 60hz even something I should be concerned about with console gaming anyways?

Also, are there any 4k monitors on the horizon that will be pushing 60hz over hdmi? Or is hdmi limited in that aspect?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I think you'd be far more limited by hardware, pushing 4k@60hz is still extraordinarily stressful more most video cards.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
HDMI 2.0 is required for 4K@60Hz with full 4:4:4 color. nVidia and a few TV manufacturers support 4K@60 over HDMI 1.4 using 4:2:0 color, but this mode is not without compromises. Basically the color resolution is half the brightness resolution. For videos it's hard to tell. Games mostly the same. Text and GUI-type stuff though is not great.

It's a fine hack for TV use, but not for something being used as a primary desktop display.

As far as the consoles go you're only getting a 1080p output from them, I think everything does 1080p60 happily.

Only a few brand new TVs and the latest (nVidia 9 series) graphics cards support HDMI 2.0, apparently the 4:2:0 thing has a bit more support on the market but it's still not much.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

wolrah posted:

HDMI 2.0 is required for 4K@60Hz with full 4:4:4 color. nVidia and a few TV manufacturers support 4K@60 over HDMI 1.4 using 4:2:0 color, but this mode is not without compromises. Basically the color resolution is half the brightness resolution. For videos it's hard to tell. Games mostly the same. Text and GUI-type stuff though is not great.

It's a fine hack for TV use, but not for something being used as a primary desktop display.

As far as the consoles go you're only getting a 1080p output from them, I think everything does 1080p60 happily.

Only a few brand new TVs and the latest (nVidia 9 series) graphics cards support HDMI 2.0, apparently the 4:2:0 thing has a bit more support on the market but it's still not much.

So if I was to plug in a PS4/Xbox One into the Samsung 4k monitor, it would downscale to 1080p60hz over hdmi and work fine?

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Avalanche posted:

So if I was to plug in a PS4/Xbox One into the Samsung 4k monitor, it would downscale to 1080p60hz over hdmi and work fine?

Correct

Edit: Let me add a bit more content here.

From my (limited) experience with a PS4 and a 65" Sony Bravia, there will be slight latency and some issues with interpolation between high contrast edges. I am super duper picky when it comes to FPS and resolution, and I would still say that the PS4 on a 4k tv at 1080p60 was still very playable. I would place it solidly within "perfectly fine" territory. The only time that I was unhappy is when me and my incredibly nerdy friends did a literal side by side of a dell (I believe) 4k monitor pushing 1080p60 against the Sony. Granted the Sony was literally twice the size

App13 fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 1, 2014

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Astiesan posted:

Same, but $300 or less.

I've looked at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260047
Dell U2412M

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007HSKSMI/ref=psdc_1292115011_t2_B0058UUR6E
BenQ RL2455HM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260148
Dell P2314H

If there's anything else compelling in that price range I'm open to suggestions.

I'm leaning towards the BenQ because my primary use is games, and I occassionally stream, so 1920x1200 could get wonky with twitch if I went with the U2412M.

really thinking about getting that benq mainly for my xbox one, any further opinions on it?

what about this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009642&ignorebbr=1

Acer GN246HL Black 24" 1ms 144hz HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD 3D Monitor 350 cd/m2 100,000,000:1
edit: welp this already sold out

ethanol fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 1, 2014

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Just FYI, you can get the BenQ XL2411Z for $230 on BenQ's website: http://shop.benq.us/monitors/gaming/xl2411z.html
Use the coupon code 'gamer$20' to knock off an extra $20 the listed value. They have a cheaper shipping option for $5 as well, not a bad price.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Just FYI, you can get the BenQ XL2411Z for $230 on BenQ's website: http://shop.benq.us/monitors/gaming/xl2411z.html
Use the coupon code 'gamer$20' to knock off an extra $20 the listed value. They have a cheaper shipping option for $5 as well, not a bad price.

I just bought the U2414H but I'm really considering cancelling and getting this. I don't know, my current monitor is the Dell ST2410, and it ghosts like a mother fucker. I think there is something wrong with it because it is advertised as 5 ms, but it's so bad it actually makes me feel a little dizzy on some games. I'm hoping the IPS is worth it and the U2414H will be enough of an improvement and I won't need the extra Hz and response time of the TN panel for console gaming.

edit: The u2414H is still $229 at amazon for those interested
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-U2414H-23-8-Monitor/dp/B00GTV05XG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417543593&sr=8-1&keywords=dell+u2414h

ethanol fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 2, 2014

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

That Samsung U28D590D is now on Meh.com for $325 but its "Refurbished".

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
This 34UM95-P is glorious to behold and I'm just kind of gawking at this alongside my existing U2711. I have so much screen real estate it's getting egregious and wasteful. Not sure if trading out my U2711 for a small monitor in portrait mode would be worth the hassle of selling and getting a new monitor and all.

Forget the horrific mess on my desk, it's in setup transition.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

The 34UM94/95 series of monitors are really nice, but I am seriously considering returning it to NewEgg.

It's OSD UX is atrocious. It is that bad that I'm considering returning this beautiful monitor because of it.

The OSD is loving slow. I don't know who designed it, but certainly not anyone who actually uses a monitor. It's a small little joystick like nipple button that is at the bottom of the screen and sticks out, so you have to remember not to lay the monitor flat without the stand lest you gently caress up the button sticking out.

Clicking on it and waiting for a response from the OSD takes loving forever. So you don't know if it accepted your click or not. And of course when the menu shows up while you reclick again, the default on the menu when you click is to exit the screen. Repeat.

Controls are unintuitively bad initially. You click the button and you are suppose to move in the 4 directions to move through the menu, but since the button is perpendicular to the monitor, are you suppose to move the nipple towards you to go down or does that make it go up? If you move the nipple away from you are you selecting the top menu option or the bottom menu option? This is not that bad though once you get use to it but it underlies the terrible UX of the OSD

You cannot put your computer to sleep and shut off your monitor without waiting for the monitor to "turn off" from you putting the computer to sleep. What I mean is, you have to wait for the monitor to go into the, "no connection available" grey screen before you can actually activate the monitor again to tell it to turn off. I would usually let the monitor "sleep" but it has a loving annoying flash white light when there it is on and there is no connection so there is no way to turn it off. So if you have this thing near your bed, it will annoy the poo poo out of you. And of course there's no way to turn this blinking off.

This may not seem annoying except before when I had my old Dell monitor, I would just click sleep in Windows, hit ONE button and I could go to sleep. Now if I click sleep in Windows, then after I get the "no connection" screen (which itself is not immediate), I can click on the nipple button, wait for the menu (which takes a long time to pop up), then remember which direction to move the nipple to select "Monitor off" (towards you is down, btw) because if you choose the wrong menu option you'll have to wait FOREVER to get the next menu item and then to cancel and go back to the original menu system.

And then there is still some bug with the firmware where if I come out of sleep mode it will crap out and the monitor will start making its strange blurry lines. I have no idea how to fix this and I have turned off the DisplayPort 1.2 option that people suggested and it worked for a while until it happened to me yesterday. I ended up rebooting my entire system just to get it back to normal. I still have no clue what causes this.

The monitor is loving gorgeous, but everytime I turn it on I have to pray the monitor is still fine. And BTW, because of a Windows 7 issue if you wake it up sometimes it thinks your monitor had a 1024x768 screen and it causes all your windows to shrink up to the left of your monitor. This makes it super annoying because 1024x768 is a tiny rear end size on this monitor so you're constantly grabbing at windows and trying to resize them.

These issues really are _that_ bad. I've had it now for almost the month and it drives me crazy. Especially the one time I woke it up from sleep mode and the monitor told me there was no connection from my DisplayPort even though it was plugged in. Worse off, I couldn't switch to HDMI, DVI or VGA to "fix" the issue. I again had to hard reset from my computer case to get any display again from DP.

In short, this monitor is gorgeous, but the UX is loving terrible. I wouldn't say the UX on my Dell 2311H was "awesome" but at least it was pretty easy to figure out and was responsive. This UX is so bad I bothered to write this huge post about it.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Strong Sauce posted:

The 34UM94/95 series of monitors are really nice, but I am seriously considering returning it to NewEgg.

It's OSD UX is atrocious. It is that bad that I'm considering returning this beautiful monitor because of it.

The OSD is loving slow. I don't know who designed it, but certainly not anyone who actually uses a monitor. It's a small little joystick like nipple button that is at the bottom of the screen and sticks out, so you have to remember not to lay the monitor flat without the stand lest you gently caress up the button sticking out.

Clicking on it and waiting for a response from the OSD takes loving forever. So you don't know if it accepted your click or not. And of course when the menu shows up while you reclick again, the default on the menu when you click is to exit the screen. Repeat.

Controls are unintuitively bad initially. You click the button and you are suppose to move in the 4 directions to move through the menu, but since the button is perpendicular to the monitor, are you suppose to move the nipple towards you to go down or does that make it go up? If you move the nipple away from you are you selecting the top menu option or the bottom menu option? This is not that bad though once you get use to it but it underlies the terrible UX of the OSD

You cannot put your computer to sleep and shut off your monitor without waiting for the monitor to "turn off" from you putting the computer to sleep. What I mean is, you have to wait for the monitor to go into the, "no connection available" grey screen before you can actually activate the monitor again to tell it to turn off. I would usually let the monitor "sleep" but it has a loving annoying flash white light when there it is on and there is no connection so there is no way to turn it off. So if you have this thing near your bed, it will annoy the poo poo out of you. And of course there's no way to turn this blinking off.

This may not seem annoying except before when I had my old Dell monitor, I would just click sleep in Windows, hit ONE button and I could go to sleep. Now if I click sleep in Windows, then after I get the "no connection" screen (which itself is not immediate), I can click on the nipple button, wait for the menu (which takes a long time to pop up), then remember which direction to move the nipple to select "Monitor off" (towards you is down, btw) because if you choose the wrong menu option you'll have to wait FOREVER to get the next menu item and then to cancel and go back to the original menu system.

And then there is still some bug with the firmware where if I come out of sleep mode it will crap out and the monitor will start making its strange blurry lines. I have no idea how to fix this and I have turned off the DisplayPort 1.2 option that people suggested and it worked for a while until it happened to me yesterday. I ended up rebooting my entire system just to get it back to normal. I still have no clue what causes this.

The monitor is loving gorgeous, but everytime I turn it on I have to pray the monitor is still fine. And BTW, because of a Windows 7 issue if you wake it up sometimes it thinks your monitor had a 1024x768 screen and it causes all your windows to shrink up to the left of your monitor. This makes it super annoying because 1024x768 is a tiny rear end size on this monitor so you're constantly grabbing at windows and trying to resize them.

These issues really are _that_ bad. I've had it now for almost the month and it drives me crazy. Especially the one time I woke it up from sleep mode and the monitor told me there was no connection from my DisplayPort even though it was plugged in. Worse off, I couldn't switch to HDMI, DVI or VGA to "fix" the issue. I again had to hard reset from my computer case to get any display again from DP.

In short, this monitor is gorgeous, but the UX is loving terrible. I wouldn't say the UX on my Dell 2311H was "awesome" but at least it was pretty easy to figure out and was responsive. This UX is so bad I bothered to write this huge post about it.

Its become more frustrating for me as well. Unfortunately, I bought my montior 5 months ago so at the moment, I'm stuck with it. I deal with the exact same issues as you though. The only caveat is that I do enjoy the fact that calibration is built right into the OSD.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!
I've got a question for you folks who clearly know a lot more than I do. I just bought an Asus PA279Q and a lot of the information I'm reading elsewhere seems to be conflicting. The monitor has DVI, HDMI, and DisplayPort inputs. A lot of people are saying that I won't be able to get the full 2560x1440 using HDMI, while others are saying that I can (but only at 24hz). Also, some people are saying that I can get the full rez using DVI whiles others insist it can only be gotten through DisplayPort. And finally, nobody can agree on what inputs support the 10-bit, AdobeRGB color space and which don't.

Any clarification would be much appreciated. :)

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

That 70s Shirt posted:

I've got a question for you folks who clearly know a lot more than I do. I just bought an Asus PA279Q and a lot of the information I'm reading elsewhere seems to be conflicting. The monitor has DVI, HDMI, and DisplayPort inputs. A lot of people are saying that I won't be able to get the full 2560x1440 using HDMI, while others are saying that I can (but only at 24hz). Also, some people are saying that I can get the full rez using DVI whiles others insist it can only be gotten through DisplayPort. And finally, nobody can agree on what inputs support the 10-bit, AdobeRGB color space and which don't.

Any clarification would be much appreciated. :)

I'm not 100% sure of specifics, but a dual link DVI cable will get you full resolution @ 60Hz, and DisplayPort will be your best experience all around.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!
Cool. I knew DisplayPort would be the ideal, but unfortunately my current video card doesn't have that as an output (but it's going on my list of requirements for my next one). Hell, I don't even know if my current card can support the 10-bit color or not. I found some stats that said it was "10-bit internal" but I don't know if that carries through to the output or not. Looks like I may need to get a better card before too long.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Any good alternatives out yet to the ROG Swift? Twitch gamer here. I'm looking for 1440p gaming at 120+ hz with G-Synch but I also know there are a ton of negative reviews out there re: quality control issues with the Swift.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Can anyone tell me about the Dell UP2414Q? I'm interested in a 23 or 24 inch IPS with a resolution > 1200p and it seems to be the only reasonably priced one. It wouldn't be too sharp, would it? It's still a lower PPI than the Retina MacBooks.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Any good alternatives out yet to the ROG Swift? Twitch gamer here. I'm looking for 1440p gaming at 120+ hz with G-Synch but I also know there are a ton of negative reviews out there re: quality control issues with the Swift.

Acer are releasing a monitor with more or less identical specs early next year. Until then you're out of luck.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/32.htm#acer_xb270hu

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

repiv posted:

Acer are releasing a monitor with more or less identical specs early next year. Until then you're out of luck.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/32.htm#acer_xb270hu

Ah, gotcha. I'll keep an eye out for that one!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I might buy this: 29" DellTM UltraSharp U2913WM

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=225-4201

Would it letterbox my PS3 via HDMI or would it stretch it to poo poo?

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

GreenNight posted:

Would it letterbox my PS3 via HDMI or would it stretch it to poo poo?

It'd definitely letter box the PS3 and 21:9 content played off your PS3 would have bars at the top as well as on the sides.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmXLTzTIOd8

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there such a thing as the current "best cheapest" monitor? I'm looking at the "Dell U2412M 60Hz 24.0" Monitor" (sorry copied and pasted on my phone) which is $245 and I'm wondering if I can cut any corners and get a cheaper good monitor. Prefer to stay at 24", but 22" is the smallest I'll go. It's just gonna be used to play non twitchy games (read: not shooters) so I don't need to have perfect pixel accuracy/lag or whatever.

Wowporn
May 31, 2012

HarumphHarumphHarumph
Look at the dell s series of whatever size you want, they aren't 16:10 but they have very good ah-va panels and run like $50 cheaper or more. Or the asus p-whatever ips monitors are a little cheaper than the ultrasharps, if I remember right.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there such a thing as the current "best cheapest" monitor? I'm looking at the "Dell U2412M 60Hz 24.0" Monitor" (sorry copied and pasted on my phone) which is $245 and I'm wondering if I can cut any corners and get a cheaper good monitor. Prefer to stay at 24", but 22" is the smallest I'll go. It's just gonna be used to play non twitchy games (read: not shooters) so I don't need to have perfect pixel accuracy/lag or whatever.

Those Korean 27" monitors are "best cheapest" by far, with some caveats (mainly build quality). I generally recommend the X-Star/QNIX DVI-only ones, though they're a bit older now and getting harder to buy. They're about $300 but you're getting a lot more screen and a lot more resolution for not that much money and the panel quality is very high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Wowporn posted:

Look at the dell s series of whatever size you want, they aren't 16:10 but they have very good ah-va panels and run like $50 cheaper or more. Or the asus p-whatever ips monitors are a little cheaper than the ultrasharps, if I remember right.

You mean AM-VA, right? AH-VA is AU Optronics' IPS-type technology and behaves no differently than IPS or PLS. AH-VA panels can be found in monitors like the BenQ BL2710PT and newer QNIX/X-STARs, but that's not what this monitor has.

VA panels tend to have better black levels, but more importantly, no bleed and a lot less glow. You might have some gamma shift at odd angles, but I owned an S-PVA monitor for 7 years (Dell 2007WFP) and it never had any of that. It looked just as good as the IPS version in my opinion.

I swear all I ever do in this thread anymore is point out the difference between AH-VA and AM-VA. AU Optronics couldn't have picked a worse name for their panel tech.