Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Don't know if I can run a cable in there and can't really be chopping holes in anything. It might also overheat in there??

Drilling holes in walls really isnt a big deal. $5 in putty will make it invisible if you move.

And no, you shouldn't worry about overheating on a home nas in a closet. It wont be using more than 60w or so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
I was worrying more about the drives not having any fans and being in the wardrobe. I could probably save myself some money by getting a not silent one and trying to stick it in the wardrobe, but then I'd be fuckered if I have to move it out.

Any comments on how good that QNAP model is specifically or if Synology do a better one?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I've put servers in closets and run cat 5 under the door fine as long as the door wasn't flush to the floor or was carpeted. If you have runners / moulding around your walls, you can even conceal the cable under there.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
The USB stick that's been powering my FreeNAS server for the last 3-4 years is making GBS threads itself (I've had to reformat it several times over the last few months). It's time to replace it.

What USB stick do you guys recommend? 8gb-16gb is sufficient since it just does FreeNAS, but I'm looking for something with longevity. I'm running an N40L right now, so all I technically need is USB 2.0, but I'm gonna be upgrading the server some time in the next several months, so I should probably just opt for USB 3.0.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Why not a small, cheap, internal SSD?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

I was worrying more about the drives not having any fans and being in the wardrobe. I could probably save myself some money by getting a not silent one and trying to stick it in the wardrobe, but then I'd be fuckered if I have to move it out.

Any comments on how good that QNAP model is specifically or if Synology do a better one?

If you put it in a closet then you can have fans.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Jago posted:

Why not a small, cheap, internal SSD?

Because an SSD isn't necessary for FreeNAS (in fact, they recommend a USB stick).

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
It's not necessary, but it should last through as my writes as FreeNAS will ever put on it, unlike a thumb drive.

edit after thinking:
thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-usb-3-0-thumb-drive/ (32 GB fast, as tested)
Just buy a couple of these so you have a ready replacement if necessary.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167180
SSD's start at 120GB and 64 bucks for reliable ones, so it's probably not worth the cost.

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 1, 2014

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've been using the cheapest, shittiest USB drives I can get my hands on to boot both my NAS4Free and ESXi boxes for a few years now, and I've only killed one. They do eventually fail but they still last a drat long time. NAS4Free still fits in a tiny partition so I can still use some ancient <1GB drives I have laying around.

Also, they live in my garage now, which gets quite hot in the summer. Drive failure rates are no different than before and so far has been consistent with the fact that all of my old Samsung HD154UIs eventually crash the head into the disk and start machining themselves. The other day when I rebooted it I did notice that the fans are all about done, but they quieted down after a few minutes.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 1, 2014

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Jago posted:

It's not necessary, but it should last through as my writes as FreeNAS will ever put on it, unlike a thumb drive.

edit after thinking:

SSD's start at 120GB and 64 bucks for reliable ones, so it's probably not worth the cost.

I was reading some reviews and came to the same conclusion independently. This solidifies it. I just bought the 16gb variant on that one. Amazon has it for $15.99. Thanks!

Fangs404 fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 1, 2014

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Jago posted:

edit after thinking:

Freenas doesn't write to the boot device and recommends you put it in read only mode.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

In addition to the read and write benefits you won't be gaining, FreeNAS 9.2.0 disabled USB3 by default due to incompatability with certain hardware, so you will have to manually enable it without knowing whether it works.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Hughlander posted:

Freenas doesn't write to the boot device and recommends you put it in read only mode.
I've put a cheap SSD in to move the system and log files onto it, so that the actual data array can idle when I'm not at home/inactive (work + sleep) or on vacation.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
FreeNAS disabled XHCI specifically because the Haswell chipsets weren't working on FreeBSD so until they got it sorted out completely, they weren't going to allow it on by default. If you're running a *Bridge based setup, you should be fine. It's been about a year and there's been no progress when I checked last week. Really bizarre if you ask me. USB 3.0 would definitely cut down a fair bit of time booting up a FreeNAS server (I've had to reboot it enough times I care - WHEN you have to reboot, you want it NOW).

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
4TB HGST Deskstar NAS drives are currently $165 on Newegg.

4TB WD Reds are $155

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

necrobobsledder posted:

FreeNAS disabled XHCI specifically because the Haswell chipsets weren't working on FreeBSD so until they got it sorted out completely, they weren't going to allow it on by default. If you're running a *Bridge based setup, you should be fine. It's been about a year and there's been no progress when I checked last week. Really bizarre if you ask me. USB 3.0 would definitely cut down a fair bit of time booting up a FreeNAS server (I've had to reboot it enough times I care - WHEN you have to reboot, you want it NOW).
IIRC it requires them to move to FreeBSD 9.3, because of bigger changes that aren't easy to backport. But since with FreeNAS 9.3, they're moving to ZFS for its boot environments, USB sticks should be out of the equation soon.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

I've put a cheap SSD in to move the system and log files onto it, so that the actual data array can idle when I'm not at home/inactive (work + sleep) or on vacation.

That sounds cool. Is there a guide to follow for that? I have a large unused SSD in my system since I thought originally about a zip or l2 arc just to realize with my setup itd be useless.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Just stuff it into the NAS, create a separate pool, go to System > Settings > System Dataset and select the new pool. You need to reboot for it to complete properly, otherwise it still creates IO on the previous pool. Other than that, you need to set timeouts on the disks and APM to level 64 for them to spin down. You can do that in the properties of the disks in Storage > View Disks. Select a generous timeout, otherwise they keep spinning up and down in general use, if you don't generate enough IO.

--edit: You can move plugins and everything there, too. Probably even required to do this, if you want the data pool disks to spin down.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 1, 2014

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
if i buy something like this rackmount case - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147164 how much am i going to hate myself VS going with somethign slightly better/bigger like a norco 4220 - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811219033? Im sure there's a huge difference in quality, but hopefully i wont need to access anything more than once every 6 months or so, and i dont see myself every needing more than 15 drives. I might be clumsy, but not afraid of bleeding so sharp edges are OK. i just need it to work and not piss me off a poo poo-ton.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Frank Dillinger posted:

if i buy something like this rackmount case - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147164 how much am i going to hate myself VS going with somethign slightly better/bigger like a norco 4220 - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811219033? Im sure there's a huge difference in quality, but hopefully i wont need to access anything more than once every 6 months or so, and i dont see myself every needing more than 15 drives. I might be clumsy, but not afraid of bleeding so sharp edges are OK. i just need it to work and not piss me off a poo poo-ton.

I actually own the RSV-L4500 what specific questions do you have about it? I would recommend it, I only have six drives in mine (plus a Haswell i5 and 16GB ram, it's a home VM lab/folding@home cruncher that lives under the stairs in a poorly ventilated closet). I don't remember the edges being particularly sharp. Ventilation is great, make sure you have plenty of decently long SATA cables and SATA power cables.

I've had mine since April (I paid $99+$11.99 S&H for mine on the invoice) and it's been humming along great. It doesn't have any flashy or innovative features, but it holds 15 full size drives for cheap.

Also, packing 15 in there instead of 20, there's room for air to get around the drives, it's reasonably quiet, like, "gaming rig on low" quiet, but not "regular desktop on medium" quiet. I forget it's in the closet most weeks.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 2, 2014

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I just wanted to know people's opinions on the case, really. I've been reading this thread off and on over a year, and am pretty close to putting together a NAS for myself. Basically, just needed to know if there were any deal breakers or whatever. As far as cabling, I assume you have a power supply with a ton of power splitters and sata adapters?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Just stuff it into the NAS, create a separate pool, go to System > Settings > System Dataset and select the new pool. You need to reboot for it to complete properly, otherwise it still creates IO on the previous pool. Other than that, you need to set timeouts on the disks and APM to level 64 for them to spin down. You can do that in the properties of the disks in Storage > View Disks. Select a generous timeout, otherwise they keep spinning up and down in general use, if you don't generate enough IO.

--edit: You can move plugins and everything there, too. Probably even required to do this, if you want the data pool disks to spin down.

When you said move the system I thought you meant the boot drive to the SSD. I was thinking of doing what you wrote above but now that I think about it what I really need to do is automate it for all of the VMs as well like mount /var/log on all Machines from there.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

With FreeNAS 9.3, it'll probably be necessary anyway. I'm not sure whether the ZFS system pool is going to be kept in readonly mode or not. If not, I see USB sticks dying like flies.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Frank Dillinger posted:

I just wanted to know people's opinions on the case, really. I've been reading this thread off and on over a year, and am pretty close to putting together a NAS for myself. Basically, just needed to know if there were any deal breakers or whatever. As far as cabling, I assume you have a power supply with a ton of power splitters and sata adapters?

It's a good case. Very sturdy, thick guage steel, did not loose any blood putting it together. I would buy a second one if I for some reason had a need for an additional capacity.

The power supply I have has 6 (or 8?) sata power ends but yeah I needed an extra two Molex power splitters to power the 3x120mm fans and 2x80mm fans

I'm at six drives because that's how many sata ports there are on the motherboard, and WD keeps building REDs at larger capacities than I am capable of filling them up with. Eventually when I run out of space I will probably swap out one of my 2TB REDs with a 6TB RED and call it a day.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 2, 2014

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Frank Dillinger posted:

I have this case and build quality is good for the money, no sharp edges or anything like that. Steel is fairly thick and it has a reinforcing bar across the top which makes it sturdier but can interfere with mobo installs. I put some ATX boards in this and it can interfere at times, just have to kind of angle them to get them in.

Airflow is excellent throughout with many fan locations, but it can be noisy since the case is open and not meant to be quiet (Welcome to rackmount!). If you put a bunch of drives in it it will be very front heavy if you try to move the case to another location. The screws to take the top off are kind of weird. 3 are the same size, but the one in the front right (if you are facing the front of the case) is really short. Not a huge deal, just odd and something to note if you are trying to put the screws back in.

Drives go in easy since it comes with a bunch of plastic rails and you just slide them in, but you have to have the cage completely out of the case to do so and if you need to remove anything, yeah it has to come completely out. If you need to remove a fan since it is at the very front of the cage it is the same thing, cage has to come out and all the drives to get to it. It can be a little cramped dealing with sata cables and power connectors in the front, but really not bad unless you have like hulk hands or 5 drives per cage. Getting some decently long sata cables would be a good idea depending on mobo layout and which cage you are putting them in, since that can add/subtract some distance from corner to corner.

Pros: Holds a ton of drives; price was right since mine was $70; build quality good for price.
Cons: Noisy; drive cages can be annoying to work with if you need to swap anything out; kind of a pain with larger boards installing them but not like a game breaking issue.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
I have two 4TB red drives on their way to me today for an HTPC build. I originally planned to do Raid 1 for redundancy in case a drive dies, but am second guessing myself and thinking about Raid 0 instead or even selling one of the drives since I have an external drive adequate for my backups. The core of my backup would be for family photos and videos, and can use my 2TB external drive for a while.

Is Raid 1 not worth it in my case? The rest of the storage would be for blu ray rips and such, so it wouldn't kill me if I lost the data, but I don't want to rip everything again either..

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Do not use RAID 0 for anything you care about.

RAID is not a backup, it lets your server keep running when hardware dies. If you don't want to spend the extra hundred something on the second drive then fine, but that seems a cheap price to pay for the headaches it can save.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I've just realised that my Synology will let me run a back-up from one internal HDD to another.

For a home user, that seems a much better use of a pair of disks than any RAID solution.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

spog posted:

I've just realised that my Synology will let me run a back-up from one internal HDD to another.

For a home user, that seems a much better use of a pair of disks than any RAID solution.

Consider RAID1 the automated version of this. :)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

:) But I was thinking that the delayed aspect of a scheduled backup is better than the instant duplication of RAID1, as it means that there will be an older version of whatever you were working on available.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

spog posted:

:) But I was thinking that the delayed aspect of a scheduled backup is better than the instant duplication of RAID1, as it means that there will be an older version of whatever you were working on available.

True, or use a filesystem that supports snapshots.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Let me know how that "backup" is working for you when you delete something.

Raid is not backup.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Versioned backups are the best loving thing.

Thanks, Crashplan!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Thermopyle posted:

Versioned backups are the best loving thing.

Thanks, Crashplan!

Does Crashplan count a NAS box as "1 computer"? If so, wowza. What a deal.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

Twerk from Home posted:

I have it running headless on my fileserver -- totally slick.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I would use crashplan on my nas if i didn't have a 300gb limit per month with comcast. I have about 5tb

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
I wish CrashPlan worked better on my Synology DS214. Bogs down the CPU too much, so I have to use Amazon Glacier. Oh well, it's only a couple of bucks per month.

It works great on my other systems though!

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

NAS = 1 computer. I have it working for 6 months now, its great. Within 15 minutes of change it is backing up offsite.

If bandwidth is an issue you could use Crashplan service to get hard disk from them to seed the backup and avoid the 5TB upload, then its just a case of monthly change delta bandwidth. I've got similar local storage size, mostly from video, that I choose not to backup. Actual backup set is < 500GB, most of which is music.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Yes it does, and yes it is.

I'm coming up on needing to renew next year. Originally I did a family plan but now I've realized that none of the laptops / desktops have anything that has to be backed up to Crashplan themselves too - so I have one free Crashplan account that backs up those boxes to my fileserver, and one paid account that backs up the fileserver itself (excluding the backups of the other boxes) to Crashplan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Don Lapre posted:

I would use crashplan on my nas if i didn't have a 300gb limit per month with comcast. I have about 5tb

Got any friends without a limit? Do the initial upload there and you can maintain from home.