Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

No. I will call you when C++ isn't a trash language for idiot babies. (So never)

k but text me when you get here my parents are gone ;-*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
Oh God. About a year ago I showed a friend how to use interfaces in vb6. He wanted to create an data import routine that got the same data from files with different formats.

So he had something like

code:

Public interface IImportFile
{
Public Id
Public Amount
Public Name
}

EnglishImportFile Implements IImportFile

{
Public Id
// do english stuff
Public Amount
Public Name
}

FrenchImportFile Implements IImportFile

{
Public Id
// do french stuff
Public Amount
Public Name
}

Class FileImporter (fileImport as IImportFile )
{
// import the file
}

Cool yeah? Nice and simple to extend. I seen the code today.

code:

Public interface IImportFile
{
Public Id
Public Amount
Public Name

Public FrenchId
Public FrenchAmount
Public FrenchName

Public EnglishId
Public FrenchAmount
Public FrenchName

Public SpandishId
Public SpanishAmount
Public SpanishName
Public SpanishPecialField
Public SpanishSpecialField2

Public RussianId
Public RussianAmount
Public RussianName

}

EnglishImportFile Implements IImportFile

{
Public Id
Public Amount
Public Name

Public FrenchId
Public FrenchAmount
Public FrenchName

Public EnglishId
Public FrenchAmount
Public FrenchName

Public SpandishId
Public SpanishAmount
Public SpanishName

Public RussianId
Public RussianAmount
Public RussianName
}

FrenchImportFile Implements IImportFile

{
Public Id
Public Amount
Public Name

Public FrenchId
Public FrenchAmount
Public FrenchName

Public EnglishId
Public FrenchAmount
Public FrenchName

Public SpandishId
Public SpanishAmount
Public SpanishName

Public RussianId
Public RussianAmount
Public RussianName
}

SpanishImportFile Implements IImportFile

{
Public Id
Public Amount
Public Name

Public FrenchId
Public FrenchAmount
Public FrenchName

Public EnglishId
Public FrenchAmount
Public FrenchName

Public SpandishId
Public SpanishAmount
Public SpanishName

Public RussianId
Public RussianAmount
Public RussianName
}

Class FileImporter (fileImport as IImportFile )
{
// import the file
If id <> 0 then
// english
elseif RussianId <> 0 then
//russian
}

Im honestly not a bad person. Why does this happen?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Skuto posted:

Java Date is millisecond accurate, so ignoring day/month is not the problem. It's just running the loop one time too much.

I think it's broken on your birthdays because of < instead of <=?

Edit: I guess for most ways of initializing the birth date it won't matter.

Maybe I work in Korea, you guys :ninja:

I'm not copying/pasting direct code, so it's just a quick, possibly incorrect summary from memory. The loop was the funny part, don't get too hung up on the details.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.
GCC 5.0 now has Cilk Plus support. I could rant for hours how Cilk "Plus" is a sign of everything that's wrong with (people talking about parallel programming in) this world, but I'll just offer this academic paper that attempts to patch up Cilk "Plus" to the basic functionality level Cilk already had TWENTY years ago.

http://dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/handle/1721.1/77032/825818523.pdf?sequence=1

"This implementation will be included with this thesis on DSpace@MIT, and maintained at http://github.com/rubenmp8."
"Unfortunately, at the time of writing, this approach currently causes segmentation faults for unknown reasons."

MIT (and Harvard) in 2012, people.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Skuto posted:

MIT (and Harvard) in 2012, people.

It's a bachelors thesis.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

fritz posted:

It's a bachelors thesis.

A Masters, actually. Not that it matters, it's just more of the same "we'll tackle the simple problem everyone already solved and ignore the one that's actually interesting". My gripe is with Intel, not the poor student who got to deal with the consequences.

He could've actually put up the code on his github, though. But who wants reproducible results anyway.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator
A project manager posted a bug on our bug tracker, saying "why isn't this in bold?!?!?!?!?!"

A CSS developer was confused by things not appearing in bold - and decided to escalate it to myself, an omnipotent developer.

Come on, seriously.

EDIT: So this is really intentional.

Westie fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 28, 2014

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Skuto posted:

A Masters, actually. Not that it matters, it's just more of the same "we'll tackle the simple problem everyone already solved and ignore the one that's actually interesting". My gripe is with Intel, not the poor student who got to deal with the consequences.

He could've actually put up the code on his github, though. But who wants reproducible results anyway.

OK I'm confused about the cilk vs cilkplus history, it looks like MIT maintained cilk up thru about 2010, and meanwhile "cilk arts" licensed something and got bought out by intel who is now doing ???? with it.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

fritz posted:

OK I'm confused about the cilk vs cilkplus history, it looks like MIT maintained cilk up thru about 2010, and meanwhile "cilk arts" licensed something and got bought out by intel who is now doing ???? with it.

Cilk Arts was an MIT startup to commercialize it.

http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/Intel.html

BTW: "18. I don't like Microsoft Windows. I was warned before I joined that that attitude was 'career-limiting.'" I'm totally a Unix guy myself but people who complain about having to support the platform(s) on which your paycheck gets made get no sympathy.

Edit: Given that I brought up this rant I'll elaborate: Cilk combined a work-stealing scheduler with abortable, hierarchical parallel tasks. This is a very powerful combination for problems that aren't purely data-parallel and need some speculative work dispatching, and allows you to parallelize a bunch of problems that aren't embarrassingly (data-) parallel and that stuff like OpenMP is less suitable for. It also had some nice features such as analyzing the ideal possible speedup and critical path of parallel algorithm. Unfortunately, they had some problems with those features in C++ and instead of solving the problem they gave up and now have something that solves the same problem everyone else already solved.

Hiowf fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 28, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Genuinely surprised that isn't "Micro$oft Windoze".

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
2010 and can't manage VNC, the worst unixer.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Seeing people talking about node.js things reminds me of this from the NodeOS (seriously) documentation:

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
pretty much the entirety of nodeOS is a horror

and that's coming from a guy who actually uses node and enjoys it

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Is the real horror using an insecure protocol when you genuinely believe it's insecure?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

xtal posted:

Is the real horror using an insecure protocol when you genuinely believe it's insecure?

Maybe if there were other choices.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

xtal posted:

Depends on what you use it for and whether it's possible to use an alternative.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

xtal posted:

Not really. Knowing something is insecure and in what ways allows you to build in other security to compensate if its necessary for the project. If you just go around assuming the security of various things then you're liable to get screwed over real hard when it turns out the thing you were putting the entire burden of security on isn't actually secure.

"Why does our wireless network need a password? Our network shares already have passwords on them!" "Why do our network shares need passwords? Our wi-fi points have passwords on them!"

Also, discussing whether or not certain standards like HTTP are secure is silly considering that many times security breaches happen through the implementation of protocols and security standards. The Heartbleed vulnerability was an example of this. Oh , don't worry about, SSL is secure! Meanwhile, the actual implementation left large swaths of the internet unprotected for months on end. Even if the standards themselves are theoretically secure you never know when one piece of the network stack is going to fail at implementing a protocol in a secure way.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Dec 1, 2014

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

It's worth noting that that section was updated very recently: https://github.com/NodeOS/NodeOS/wiki/asgard#authentication

quote:

HTTP + SSL is secure. If you think otherwise...

It might have been a typo or a markdown flub or something. Then again, it could be node devs trying to make their own linux are dumb as hell.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Munkeymon posted:

Then again, it could be node devs trying to make their own linux are dumb as hell.

Well, yeah, last time they thought /usr/bin/env was a more integral component to the system than the libc.
Currently they've decided to take all the commands they run and append `|| exit $exit_code`, which is an extraordinary waste of effort, especially since if they re-order commands it's going to be a bugger to keep up to date.

Also, they're using exit codes over 255, which means some will be aliasing, since exit codes are modulo 256.

They've at least discovered that they need to build the compiler and libc, though they don't seem to be making any particular effort to actually build any of their components with the new compiler, nor link their binaries against the libc they build, so it's actually building against what they've got on the host, which just happens to work because he's using the same versions.

Frankly this is no more useful than the previous version, where they copied the required files out of the host system.

I'd try to explain what they're doing wrong, but the mountain of mistakes implies they wouldn't understand.
I'm not sure why I spent an hour looking through this project to see what it actually does

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

Munkeymon posted:

HTTP + SSL is secure. If you think otherwise...

2 out of 3 of the major browsers seem to think otherwise, yes.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

NodeOS threw me for a loop there for a second since I was mistaking it for JNode which is similar in that it's an OS written using a questionable language at best. It's different in that the authors obviously know what something like an interrupt handler is since they wrote it, but they wrote it in Java so it runs like a beached whale OD'd on Russian bathtub heroin.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Skuto posted:

2 out of 3 of the major browsers seem to think otherwise, yes.

I'm at least willing to assume it means SSL/TLS/whatever the gently caress makes data in motion safe since SSL 3 has only somewhat recently been totally broken and not everyone has updated their jargon mappings yet.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Munkeymon posted:

It's worth noting that that section was updated very recently: https://github.com/NodeOS/NodeOS/wiki/asgard#authentication

It might have been a typo or a markdown flub or something.

Nope!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Munkeymon posted:

I'm at least willing to assume it means SSL/TLS/whatever the gently caress makes data in motion safe since SSL 3 has only somewhat recently been totally broken and not everyone has updated their jargon mappings yet.

Encryption is (reasonably) fine. Authentication, though, is totally hosed and no-one has any idea how to fix it.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Does Mathematica count?

http://mathematica.stackexchange.com/questions/66538/how-do-i-draw-a-pair-of-buttocks

code:
//improve butt

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
php:
<?
// more horrors above

insertdata();
retrievedata();
print_tables($content, $periods, $total);

echo "</pre>";
exit(1);

?>
</BODY>
</excel-tab>

?>
Fan. Tastic.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
</excel-tab> wtf is that

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

down with slavery posted:

</excel-tab> wtf is that

Some internal HTML-esque poo poo we use to convert reports into excel spreadsheets. I dare not look into that abyss.

Also, following the above garbage:

php:
<?
function insertdata()
{
    global $database;
    // ...
}

function retrievedata()
{
    global $content, $periods, $database, $total, $filters_array, $section_list;
    // ...
}

function print_tables($content, $periods, $total)
{
    global $section_list;
    // ...
}
?>
Edit: there's nothing like realizing in the middle of pulling out these globals that half of those are actually being modified and then used afterwards in another function. Good times. Not mad at all. :bang:

IT BEGINS fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 3, 2014

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Dear awful CRM system, you won't internally convert an int32 to a decimal and I hate you for it.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Are all java developers poo poo at anything and everything involving databases or is it just the ones I deal with?

Today's entertainment was reformatting a slow query to remove delights like left joins hidden in the where clause on yet another string being executed directly because apparently stored procs are against nature or something.

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy
A disappointingly large amount of developers are terrible at databases, regardless of language.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Java is poo poo, full stop. :v:

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

TinTower posted:

Java is actually a decent language. It's just that a lot of people using it are awful.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Apparently the reason for strings instead of procs is "java allegedly handles transactions better" but that was from a .net dev who said she didnt know what the gently caress they were doing either so I'm more inclined to believe that

TinTower posted:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Are all developers poo poo?

Yes

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Just had to update about 200 ASP files that broke because the Access DBs they reference (directly) were moved to a different drive.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

That would be an excellent forum sub title. "Cavern of COBOL: Are all developers poo poo? Yes"

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
today i called a method called 'check transaction history' and it started generating images

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

today i called a method called 'check transaction history' and it started generating images

How else are you going to check the transaction history? You have to look at the images!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Are all java developers poo poo at anything and everything involving databases or is it just the ones I deal with?

Today's entertainment was reformatting a slow query to remove delights like left joins hidden in the where clause on yet another string being executed directly because apparently stored procs are against nature or something.

Speaking as a Java developer, what's a stored procedure? We just use whatever Hibernate generates. If the database is slow, just throw more hardware at it. :v:

(No, seriously, I don't think I've ever worked on a project that used stored procedures. Or involved a DBA in development at all.)