Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Rev was never an unassailable t1 deck :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

Rev was never an unassailable t1 deck :psyduck:

It wasn't unassailable, it was however T1 during some of Rav-Theros Standard. That being said there is a large subset of players who despise control strategies, even if they suck, and Rev is the durdliest control card that ever durdled.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Madmarker posted:

It was T1 but there is a large subset of players who despise control strategies, and Rev is the durdliest control card that ever durdled.

I can think of two counterexamples, but they're from 1993 and 1997, so I think I'll let you have the hyperbole.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Chamale posted:

"Here's my new combo deck. It's all tutors, Regrowths, and Recoups."

Temur reverb/twincast

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Chamale posted:

I can think of two counterexamples, but they're from 1993 and 1997, so I think I'll let you have the hyperbole.

Considering I was 5 in 93, my awareness of super old magic cards can sometimes be rather poor. Are you thinking of Stasis?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Rev really sucked to play against in draft. Now that it isn't in standard or anything, cruel ultimatum is better.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Madmarker posted:

Considering I was 5 in 93, my awareness of super old magic cards can sometimes be rather poor. Are you thinking of Stasis?

Stasis wasn't a control deck, it was prison. I think he's referring to "the Deck".

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Elyv posted:

Stasis wasn't a control deck, it was prison. I think he's referring to "the Deck".

Oh that thing that won with Serra Angel. I can see that.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Elyv posted:

"The Deck" had two copies of a creature in it. I'm thinking of Timetwister control, a deck from before the 4-of limit that operated by exiling a few creatures with Swords to Plowshares, then casting Timetwister so the opponent would run out of cards first. The other durdle card is Whispers of the Muse, which is "Draw a card and put Whispers of the Muse back into your hand" for 5U. There was a particularly miserable control deck around then that would either counter your spell or cast Whispers and just drown the opponent in gradual card advantage.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Oh my god it's here and it's incredibly majestic :allears:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

aunt jemima posted:

Wow.

(not a one word reply)

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Why did they get rid of mana burn? Not that I miss it or ever really interacted with it.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Zombie #246 posted:

Why did they get rid of mana burn? Not that I miss it or ever really interacted with it.
For precisely that reason.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Zombie #246 posted:

Because its dumb mechanic that is unintuitive to new players and doesn't really add anything to the game. To quote Maro:

Maro posted:

It removed a rule that wasn't carrying its weight. When we first thought about removing mana burn, I asked my design team to play all their games without it so we could get a sense of what its removal would feel like. Note that we had altered nothing in the set related to this change. We just played the set as it was without mana burn. After a month, I asked my team to tell me their experiences. The result: not one of the five-member team in a month played a game where it came up. One of the best tests in screenwriting about the necessity of a scene is to remove it. If the story works just as well without it, it wasn't needed. We had removed mana burn from the game and we couldn't tell it was gone—not the best of defenses.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

Bugsy posted:

I don't know if this is national or not, but all cards are buy one get one free at Wlagreens if you have their loyalty card. Picked up 16 packs of Khans at lunch for 32 including tax.

Hey just wanted to post and say thanks for alerting the thread to this. Over lunch I went by Walgreens and got 20 packs of Khans of Tarkir for fun. They had two Intro Decks for Khans also but I didn't grab those. Are they worth it? For some background: I'm just coming back to Magic. I first got into it during 4th Ed and Ice Ages and bailed right before Visions. I only really play casually with a group of friends right now, though I have some slight interest in going to FNM at some point in the future. The first deck I built was a Stasis deck (because I hate my friends and myself you see) and I'm really eyeing a old-school Necropotence deck too. Like I said, I bought the boosters mainly for fun and to fill out my nascent collection but also because I saw Khans had some nice dual/triple lands. Are the intro decks worth it for someone like me as a "Buy one get one"?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Nah, the intro decks are pretty much never worth it. They generally have sucky cards and the decks themselves are incredibly bleh. Even from someone who doesn't care for the whole buying singles, you're just best off not getting the intro decks.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Not really. In theory you could use it as a skeleton to build a deck off of, but I think that the artificial way they limit the copies of a card by rarity makes them contrived and not play like an actual deck a person would make.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

aunt jemima posted:

I hate you so much because now I need one of these things for myself. Did a high res image ever crop up when someone asked way back when?

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I hate you so much because now I need one of these things for myself. Did a high res image ever crop up when someone asked way back when?

I had posted it, but here it is again. Enjoy! Send me a pic of an in-progress game or something when you get it. :)

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Now that mana burn is gone, I don't have to be careful with lunatic ramping either. Cast cloud of faeries, untap serra's sanctum and this tropical island with three auras. It's more fun being able to ramp to hell.

So, yeah, besides it not mattering in 99% of games, the removal of mana burn makes that remainder more fun instead of less. There's, like, exactly one situation in which it ever mattered, named Spectral Searchlight.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Now that mana burn is gone, I don't have to be careful with lunatic ramping either. Cast cloud of faeries, untap serra's sanctum and this tropical island with three auras. It's more fun being able to ramp to hell.

So, yeah, besides it not mattering in 99% of games, the removal of mana burn makes that remainder more fun instead of less. There's, like, exactly one situation in which it ever mattered, named Spectral Searchlight.

I think it's funny that braid of fire, the enchantment that gives you increasing amounts of free red mana on your upkeep, is still unplayable even after it's only drawback has been retconned from the game.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

My saproling deck used to have the problem of tapping Gaea's Cradle for way too much mana since I can get to the several hundred mana mark by turn 4. It's so much more fun to not need to dick around with a handful of "1: do a thing" effects.

quote:

You never had that one guy who kept trying to Mana Flare people to death? I thought every group had one of those.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

I think it's funny that braid of fire, the enchantment that gives you increasing amounts of free red mana on your upkeep, is still unplayable even after it's only drawback has been retconned from the game.

Wow, what's the deal with that card not being used? I've never played a format where that card would be legal, but do the red decks in those formats just not have any use ramp or what? Because, for those purposes at least, it seems really powerful

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
Mana goes away at the end of each phase, so it's only useful for things on your upkeep.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

goferchan posted:

Wow, what's the deal with that card not being used? I've never played a format where that card would be legal, but do the red decks in those formats just not have any use ramp or what? Because, for those purposes at least, it seems really powerful

The mana has to be used during your upkeep.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I could see it working pretty well with mana pingers like Olivia or kumano. Also batterskull bounces become free.

That's all I can think of and they're pretty marginal benefits.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

aunt jemima posted:

The only playmat I have ever seen that can match this is someone that found a high-res image of bonfire.gif, particularly the frame where Kibler is putting his hands up in the air, and then got Kibler and LSV to sign it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
All the good red Instants are cheap anyway and you'd rather just have an extra one of them in your deck instead of Braid of Fire.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
It just isn't that good. Turn 2, play braid and turn is wasted. Turn 3, you get 1 extra mana that can only be used on instants you had in your hand since last turn, so why didn't you just play it turn 2 to get you closer to winning the game? Turn 4, you get 2 very situational mana from casting a 2 mana spell 2 turns ago, that card is worse than a mulligan. By turn 5, you've played all the cards in your hand that could be cast during your upkeep, so unless you built your deck around being slow and awkward in the fastest color, that's the best case scenario. Play it any later and it is a dead card.

Red has all kinds of rituals that give you mana the turn you cast them, add to storm, and can be used when you need them. Maybe if you invented some weird rear end jeskai control thing I could see it useful, but there isn't a deck that wants it.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
At one time I had a deck with 4 braid of fire and some Gemstone Array alongside some other cumulative upkeep stuff, some activated abilities like deepfire elemental, I forget what all else. It was durdly as fuckbut when you're playing in 5-7 player games you can afford to sit around for 6 turns arraying gems.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Braid of Fire was a weird parasitic gimmick card that was basically just designed to be a way to pay for the cumulative upkeeps on other cards.

Part of the problem is it just isn't actually that fast. You could try to combo it with Helix Pinnacle or something but by the time that actually works the game is long over.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

homerlaw posted:

Mana goes away at the end of each phase, so it's only useful for things on your upkeep.

Madmarker posted:

The mana has to be used during your upkeep.

Duhh, I knew that but I guess I didn't read really carefully. In that case, yikes, with mana burn that's pretty rough but even without it it doesn't seem very exciting.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
It could have Cumulative Upkeep: Add RRRRR to your mana pool and it still wouldn't be good.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Toshimo posted:

It could have Cumulative Upkeep: Add RRRRR to your mana pool and it still wouldn't be good.
I think that would be getting to the point where it's actually tempting to run it in a burn deck with some instant X spells. Turn 4 Comet Storm you for 10+ after bolting / lava spiking you a few times seems pretty good.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Entropic posted:

I think that would be getting to the point where it's actually tempting to run it in a burn deck with some instant X spells. Turn 4 Comet Storm you for 10+ after bolting / lava spiking you a few times seems pretty good.

until you have no cards in hand so all that mana on your upkeep is worthless, just like the card

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
then you'd just draw into all your X spells and never see a braid

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Getting 10 mana for free on the upkeep of your fourth turn seems extremely abuseable, if nothing else you can like stroke of genius for 7 on your upkeep.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Gyshall posted:

until you have no cards in hand so all that mana on your upkeep is worthless, just like the card

How many X=10 spells do you think you need to cast before the game ends? Heck, forget X spells, just play a creature with the firebreathing mechanic and either trample or evasion.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Lottery of Babylon posted:

How many X=10 spells do you think you need to cast before the game ends? Heck, forget X spells, just play a creature with the firebreathing mechanic and either trample or evasion.

Sure, however you are spending 2 mana and a card for HIGHLY restricted mana down the line. That's the problem with the card, you have to wait about 4 turns after you play it before it has any real benefit. And even then you need instant speed x spells, which there are a enough of, but even in EDH you have better things to be doing with your cards. In eternal formats its just far to slow. If someone was playing a cube of horrible cards and I had to choose between drafting a braid of fire or a chimney imp, I take the chimney imp every time.

If you want an enchantment that grants you an insurmountable advantage during your upkeep down the line, an actual GOOD card that does this is Assemble the Legion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Madmarker posted:

Sure, however you are spending 2 mana and a card for HIGHLY restricted mana down the line. That's the problem with the card, you have to wait about 4 turns after you play it before it has any real benefit. And even then you need instant speed x spells, which there are a enough of, but even in EDH you have better things to be doing with your cards. In eternal formats its just far to slow. If someone was playing a cube of horrible cards and I had to choose between drafting a braid of fire or a chimney imp, I take the chimney imp every time.

The post I was replying to was about the version that gives you five times as much mana. I agree that the actual card is just too slow.

• Locked thread