Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

americans like british accents because in movies when you have a british accent you're either a cool gangster or a classy businessman or a brilliant scholar
or a german criminal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i heat my house with free solar energy

i would but i dont think its feasible at this latitude

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
also wouldnt work very well in winter aka when you need heat

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

i think it's expensive but I don't actually use it because I heat my house with 100% clean electricity from nuclear/hydro

i also resent the idea that cheap = good

it's cheap to read your posts and they are bad, so

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
lol @ "clean nuclear energy"

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

A Pinball Wizard posted:

i remember reading something somewhere about reactors that might be able to run on waste from other reactors, can anyone confirm or deny?/

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Sham bam bamina! posted:

i remember reading something somewhere about reactors that might be able to run on waste from other reactors, can anyone confirm or deny?/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breeder_reactor

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Sham bam bamina! posted:

thorium reactors, they're being developed but probably coming. Like fusion lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A Pinball Wizard posted:

a commercial nuclear fission reactor emits less radioactive waste per kilowatt-hour than a coal-burning power plant

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
meanwhile we have linguists and sociologists trying to figure out how to communicate to people 10,000 years in the future that the nuclear waste dumps we're building will kill them if they mess with them

breeder reactors help but there will always be some waste remaining

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Those sites will Also store yr posts

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

A Pinball Wizard posted:

meanwhile we have linguists and sociologists trying to figure out how to communicate to people 10,000 years in the future that the nuclear waste dumps we're building will kill them if they mess with them

breeder reactors would get rid of 99% of the waste and the remaining amount would be barely detectable above background radiation

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

pram posted:

Those sites will Also store yr posts

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
actually chiselling my posts onto an obelisk outside is currently the leading proposal to scare people off

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

A Pinball Wizard posted:

actually chiselling my posts onto an obelisk outside is currently the leading proposal to scare people off
you flatter yourself, you're poasts are far too soft and smeary for that design and that technique

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

A Pinball Wizard posted:

which they determined was pointless because in 10,000 years everything will be very low level radioactive since it's still there in 10,000 years, and also it's all going under giant mountains.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
also 99% of the high-level radioactive waste (read: the dangerous poo poo) is from weapons development and places like argonne natl lab are researching how to decommission nuclear warheads and reuse them for power generation

also also part of the reason there's as much waste as there is now is because of political limitations of how reactors can work (some designs, like breeder reactors, are too close to military nuclear enrichment programs for politicians to feel comfortable, despite many of the designs being nearly impossible to weaponize)

the real issue with nuclear power is regulatory capture, since cutting corners can be extremely dangerous

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A Pinball Wizard posted:

realistically if people 10,000 years in the future are at a technological level where they can't detect or comprehend radioactive emissions, they'll probably die of alien gorilla attacks or hyper-dysentery before radiogenic cancer could get them

it was a neat project though. i liked the field of obsidian spikes

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sagebrush posted:

realistically if people 10,000 years in the future are at a technological level where they can't detect or comprehend radioactive emissions, they'll probably die of alien gorilla attacks or hyper-dysentery before radiogenic cancer could get them

also they're still going to have a hell of a time getting into any of the planned storage sites. all of them are supposed to be hundreds of feet under a desert or hundreds of feet under a mountain in a desert that's already been nuclear bombed to poo poo and back.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

we should build a mass driver and launch it all into the sun, imo, and by it i mean everyone and everything

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i'm not entirely sure you could build something with enough power to shift the orbit of the earth enough for it to fall into the sun

can one of your physics nerds figure that out please

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
just keep it around and next time a country does something wrong then you've got a pretty good bargaining chip.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Beast of Bourbon posted:

i'm not entirely sure you could build something with enough power to shift the orbit of the earth enough for it to fall into the sun

i'm pretty sure we could pull the earth out of orbit with some clever engineering on the moon

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

it sounded like a dungeon from an rpg

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

duTrieux. posted:

we should build a mass driver and launch it all into the sun, imo, and by it i mean everyone and everything

the problem with this is that if you gently caress it up just once (out of literally hundreds of launches a year for many years) then whoops you've just introduced a shitload of radioisotopes into the atmosphere

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yea that's the one situation where the space elevator makes sense. just slowly crawl it up into space and worst case you drop one and it plummets into the ocean where it's pretty safe and easy to recover. you could put a parachute on even for extra safety.

a better idea though is to figure out how to harness all the obvious energy being produced by the still-active wastes because hey it's right loving there

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

yea that's the one situation where the space elevator makes sense. just slowly crawl it up into space and worst case you drop one and it plummets into the ocean where it's pretty safe and easy to recover. you could put a parachute on even for extra safety.

a better idea though is to figure out how to harness all the obvious energy being produced by the still-active wastes because hey it's right loving there

better idea: if something is that loving dangerous its because theres still energy you can get out of it and its only due to retarded political concerns that we're not extracting said energy

edit: I swear the second paragraph wasn't there when I clicked reply

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 5, 2014

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Beast of Bourbon posted:

i think the important question of this age though is if we pooled our resources as mankind, could we grow and store enough weed to form a ball the size of the sun, then launch it into the sun, and get the whole galaxy high.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

better idea: if something is that loving dangerous its because theres still energy you can get out of it and its only due to retarded political concerns that we're not extracting said energy

edit: I swear the second paragraph wasn't there when I clicked reply

yes that's what i said :yum:

edit: your edit wasn't there when i clicked reply

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sniep posted:

i think the important question of this age though is if we pooled our resources as mankind, could we grow and store enough weed to form a ball the size of the sun, then launch it into the sun, and get the whole galaxy high.

signs point to yes, as long as we colonize mars with weed first

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Wouldn't a ball of weed the size of the sun start fusing long before we could throw it into the sun?

I mean, the sun is made mostly of hydrogen, the lightest element, and weed is made out stuff like carbon and oxygen and nitrogen and whatever else, and they're all heavier than hydrogen. So if we make a ball of weed the size of the sun, it'll mass more than the sun, and the sun is already massive enough for spontaneous fusion.

This plan is suspect.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's questionable whether you could even make a ball of solid weed the size of the sun because as you point out it's much denser than hydrogen so at some point before it reaches sun-size it will start burning the weed in the center just due to gravitational compression.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
what drug do you get when weed undergoes fusion

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
super weed.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

it's questionable whether you could even make a ball of solid weed the size of the sun because as you point out it's much denser than hydrogen so at some point before it reaches sun-size it will start burning the weed in the center just due to gravitational compression.

that's really dependent on whether this is a compressed weed like a brick of hash or if we're tolkien about a more loose tumbleweed-style ball of the devil's lettuce

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the problem with this is that if you gently caress it up just once (out of literally hundreds of launches a year for many years) then whoops you've just introduced a shitload of radioisotopes into the atmosphere

good.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that's really dependent on whether this is a compressed weed like a brick of hash or if we're tolkien about a more loose tumbleweed-style ball of the devil's lettuce

at the scale involved i don't think it would matter. you'd basically get a late-stage star that's well on its way to fusing iron and dying

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

duTrieux. posted:

at the scale involved i don't think it would matter. you'd basically get a late-stage star that's well on its way to fusing iron and dying

while relative density is an important aspect this is a good point

perhaps the answer would be to create several balls of dense hash of masses under the chandrasekhar limit and combine them together in order to create Wheadestar

although the real question is whether cannabinoids are able to retain their structure as they are blown outward during the initial explosive events of star formation thus enabling the entire galaxy to get high for stellar timescales

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

there's the very sad possibility that Weedstar will cause life to specifically evolve to metabolize cannabinoids without getting high

• Locked thread