Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I hope Arima steamrolls all over their beautiful performances. They are both shonen-rival-as-gently caress and don't deserve nice things. Why can't this be like Chihayafuru were every opponent was worthy of being a protagonist of their own series and had you rooting for them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

linall
Feb 1, 2007
I just finally found time in all the Thanksgiving Day craziness to watch this. Really glad for that. Anything that shortens the time I have to wait on the next episode after having seen this one. Takeshi's performance was pretty good, but Igawa's reminded me really strongly of the best parts of Chihayafuru. The colors and imagery association was a lot like Kana's poem explanations.

I agree that the rivals seem pretty one-dimensional at the moment, but hopefully after Arima gets his big performance next episode, it'll pave the way for a more in-depth look at them.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I think part of the "one dimensional-less-ness" of the rivals is that it's really a one-way rivalry. Kousei didn't have rivals. I loved how the two of them are at the top of the stairs, waiting for his dramatic entrance and he just looks at them and says, "Who are you?"

Kousei simply never cared about things like rivalry with others. It was all about making mommy happy. I feel like Kousei was seriously affected by his mother's training and death. On the one hand, the show makes this obvious with his inability to hear the music he plays. That's serious. On the other hand, I don't think the show demonstrates to us that anyone else realizes how traumatic his upbringing was. No one else seems to understand what he went though.

For the rivals, they were introduced rather late in the anime. Just a couple of episodes ago. Now, we learn they've been driving most of their careers by a fierce competition/love with/for Kousei that he was totally unaware of.

I want to see him re-kindle a new-found love for music and find his own musical style. According to the show, he won all the competitions but only because he played flawlessly and without any kind of unique style or flair of his own. It won events but not hearts.

I seriously doubt he'll win this competition. I'd like to see him get his ability to hear his own music back, though.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Dan7el posted:

I think part of the "one dimensional-less-ness" of the rivals is that it's really a one-way rivalry. Kousei didn't have rivals. I loved how the two of them are at the top of the stairs, waiting for his dramatic entrance and he just looks at them and says, "Who are you?"

Hey, I am perfectly OK with one-dimensional rivals. However, if you don't want to give any depth to them, then don't waste an entire episode explaining their one single aspect of their character. My frustration was because I was watching each scene expecting to see one single reason why these people want to succeed that doesn't involve Kousei, while all it did was reinforce how obsessed they are with him.

One of them refused an invitation to an overseas competition in order to compete in one he has already won, just because MAYBE this time Kousei will be there. That's so shonen-rival that I expect Arima to go super-sayan during his performance.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Rexides posted:

Hey, I am perfectly OK with one-dimensional rivals. However, if you don't want to give any depth to them, then don't waste an entire episode explaining their one single aspect of their character. My frustration was because I was watching each scene expecting to see one single reason why these people want to succeed that doesn't involve Kousei, while all it did was reinforce how obsessed they are with him.

One of them refused an invitation to an overseas competition in order to compete in one he has already won, just because MAYBE this time Kousei will be there. That's so shonen-rival that I expect Arima to go super-sayan during his performance.

when you get a shot at the champ you have to take it

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

----------------

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I already like Eri more than osanamijimi or MPDG because even if Eri is still defined by Arima, she isn't an awful walking cliche. Also she hasn't been horribly manipulative towards Arima.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

I already like Eri more than osanamijimi or MPDG because even if Eri is still defined by Arima, she isn't an awful walking cliche. Also she hasn't been horribly manipulative towards Arima.

first off her name is Emi you dumbo. secondly Tsubaki is pretty cool

----------------

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
emi is the best bits of both tsubaki and kaori and with none of their bad bits

emi is superior

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

emi is the best bits of both tsubaki and kaori and with none of their bad bits

emi is superior

----------------

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Rexides posted:

Yeah, when the backstory of a new character is actually entirely about the main character you've done something wrong. Even as poorly written as it was I really found myself buying into the execution of Emi's performance. The real problem with this episode is not one, but two pianists talented enough to be nationally recognized in Japan have no motivation for music aside from Arima. If Emi's performance, or hell even the other rivals, had been fleshed out over an entire episode I might be being more forgiving. But two is just bonkers.

Next thing you know he is going to walk into the house of a retired coach's house and inspire him to get back in the game! Ugh, if he loses the competition and something like that happens as a result I will be so angry.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
I fully expect him to lose and do so spectacularly badly that his 'rivals' declare to themselves that their respective victories in the contest don't even count as he's not on the top of his 'game' or whatever. Then maybe we get coach out of retirement, that sounds about right.. go full shonen with this thing.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Amstrad posted:

I fully expect him to lose and do so spectacularly badly that his 'rivals' declare to themselves that their respective victories in the contest don't even count as he's not on the top of his 'game' or whatever. Then maybe we get coach out of retirement, that sounds about right.. go full shonen with this thing.

This is exactly what I think will happen. The coach will be a former student or mentor of his mom.

Then the next concert he will :ssj: before playing.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Where did either of you get the idea this story cares the slightest bit about shonen bullshit like who wins music contests?

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Boogaleeboo posted:

Where did either of you get the idea this story cares the slightest bit about shonen bullshit like who wins music contests?

It would be completely contrary to basically the whole message they've been sending up until now. Best case scenario would be Arima losing and then the other two showing up to gloat, but Arima's already left to go hang out with the gang or whatever.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Boogaleeboo posted:

You're right, how silly of me. :cripes: I really should take the story into consideration.

Arima is going to play bad. The gang will Continue to get him to practice like they have been doing all along. The teacher will be Kaori. Insert jealousy/romance here. She will get him to play well at the next competition before she dies of cancer. Or maybe she'll be in the hospital for cancer, he plays, and she's cured for one month.

Better? :shobon: Romance, music, and shonen burning spirit for everyone.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

You're right, how silly of me. :cripes: I really should take the story into consideration.

Arima is going to play bad. The gang will Continue to get him to practice like they have been doing all along. The teacher will be Kaori. Insert jealousy/romance here. She will get him to play well at the next competition before she dies of cancer. Or maybe she'll be in the hospital for cancer, he plays, and she's cured for one month.

Better? :shobon: Romance, music, and shonen burning spirit for everyone.

But first, Pixie Dream Girl has to interrupt his paused terrible performance mid-meltdown by yelling generic words of shounen encouragement from the audience.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Er, that was a happy episode. :geno:

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

darkgray posted:

Er, that was a happy episode. :geno:

they showed just how messed up Kousei's mom was this episode right?

----------------

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

they showed just how messed up Kousei's mom was this episode right?

In spades, yeah. They really delved into the hosed up ball of guilt, sadness, anger, and pain that is Arima Kousei's relationship to music.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 9, 2014

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I think that is the single moment in this entire anime that I have liked Kousei

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Dick Spacious CPA treats the tables like Kousei's mom treats Kousei.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Hey, at least they balanced out the well-intentioned but terribly ignorant jock friend's proclamation that "nah, he's fine, he's a man!" with a quick rebuttal of "no, that is meaningless, the only thing that matters is that he's a musician."

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There was nothing in this episode that you couldn't deduce from everything else that has happened so far, and I don't care because it was so well done. The cold open's mix of music with the storyline was great, and the huge bummer of the second half is played smartly and cathartically.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
That whole background story was so well put together it triggered my family PTSD. That was surprising.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
The first episode or two of this show got me interested in looking at the manga. That happens from time to time, but the difference here is that after reading up through the manga I am actually interested in seeing how it gets animated, because I want the full experience.

If this anime continues to adapt the story well from its source material, it is really going to sing by the time it's done. I think anime-only watchers are already experiencing the emotional potential.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I think it's the first time I feel this way for either a real person or a fictional character, but good loving riddance Kousei's mom died. Holy poo poo.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Well, I still like it. This show really knows how to drown all my senses at the same time. Did the true rival just appear?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
They sure do love Charlie Brown.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yawgmoft posted:

They sure do love Charlie Brown.

Who doesn't?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That episode owned hard. The entire arc could have been illustrated with just the music, but everything else was also really cool. It went past just being about playing freely being better, into being kind of terrifying, and I loved watching people react to it.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Who doesn't?

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Good reference. :golfclap: I thought about this exact strip. The very first one if I remember correctly.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yep, the first one was perfect. Peanuts was always awesome, but early Peanuts was the best.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

The death flags in this show are so drat prominent I'm starting to thinkhope it's a red herring.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Well damnit I'm going to cry when I think about Peanuts now.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Man that animation at the start was goddamn great. I want a show done in that style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Admoon posted:

The death flags in this show are so drat prominent I'm starting to thinkhope it's a red herring.

Oh just wait, it'll get even more prominent

• Locked thread