Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Diddy Kong is a goddamn bastard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin
Any tips for playing as Sonic?

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

Reiley posted:

When I play online I will sometimes get half-second input lag that the person I'm fighting doesn't seem to be suffering, but sometimes I won't have that lag at all. I put the WiiU in the router's DMZ and have it connected to ethernet, so I don't know what could possibly be doing this. Do you have to do something more than just plugging the ethernet adapter into the system to get it to use that signal instead of wifi?

I had ethernet set as my preferred connection but my Wii U was still switching over to wifi occasionally. I ended up deleting the wifi settings from my network prefs, which fixed the problem.

Callick posted:

Play with friends or play 1v1 For Glory, bam

Friends is the only option. For Glory doesn't account for ping and regularly matches me up with people on the other side of the globe.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Anyone else in here who mains Game & Watch? I feel like I need a support group, I feel so alone. No one likes this flat man.

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Anyone else in here who mains Game & Watch? I feel like I need a support group, I feel so alone. No one likes this flat man.

Me! Though I'm super-casual and not really good player :smith:

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Game and Watch is pretty fun, but I miss his old side smash, the range on the new one is nice but it barely has any oomph.

Some dumb idiot fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 4, 2014

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

PoPcornTG posted:

DoctorWhat posted:

Man I am so so SO SO SO happy that Sonic is good in this game.

I get Sonic's playstyle. He's totally intuitive to me. The timings of his aerials and their landing lag, especially. He's just so natural for me to use, everything flows into everything else but he still has tons of mix-up and mindgame potential. I've been wrecking poo poo on For Glory with the blue blur, especially when I have a really good connection.

COOL poo poo TO DO WITH SONIC:
  • N-air (insta-shield, for you S3&K fans out there) has incredible effective priority and near-instant startup, making it great for escaping and even turning around u-tilt combos, juggles, etc.
  • N-air is also really good to use to rack up %s when coming out of a spindash jump, because it's a way more reliable hit than any of Sonic's other aerials. Basically, out of the "roll" portion of a Spin Dash or Spin Charge, just hit A once to jump into your opponent, carrying them upwards, and then mash A until they get hit with the instashield.
  • Switching between Side-B and Down-B can confuse your opponents, since the little hop caused by the side-b can throw off their timing.
  • Don't be afraid to just RUN AROUND! Going from a full-tilt dash into a momentum-sliding shield-grab is an effective mix-up strat that, following an upthrow, has tremendous combo/juggling potential; meanwhile, downthrows rack up % damage, and backthrows and (to a lesser extent) frontthrows can kill at high %s.
  • Plus, Sonic's running-start Upsmash has always been a beast (though he suffered from the removal of DACUSing in 1.04/WiiU), and his dash attack's no joke, especially with it's new "kick".
  • While Sonic's Downsmash is now less visually distinct, and its hitboxes no longer linger as a result, its reduced startup time and front-and-back coverage make it a better move overall than its Brawl counterpart.
  • Sonic's Fsmash has a deceptively long reach, especially when properly angled, and deceptively mighty kill power.
  • If your opponent is in the air, they are your PREY. That doesn't mean "chase them past the top camera borders and hope for a lucky hit", however. Unless you're ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that you can chain two or three up-airs into a topkill, just fastfall/d-air back to earth and wait for your target to come to you.
  • Of course, if you CAN confidently land an up-air at high percents and/or close to the top blast line, then DO IT TO IT. It's cool as hell and difficult for your opponent to punish if you miss. (...Unless your opponent has "plunging" moves like Stone, Yoshi's Ground Pound, Toon Link's dair, etc. Don't try to juggle them vertically.)
  • Don't even bother trying to land the meteor hitbox of the d-air, it's a fool's errand and you'll probably selff-destruct. Sonic rewards swag and style, to be sure, but there's no swag in making yourself look like a suicidal moron.
  • B-air is loving amazing, as it was in Brawl, with deceptive range and incredible kill potential, especially when chasing offsides. Just don't let it get Stale Moves'd to death, and make sure you're facing the right way to land it.
  • F-air has kill power offsides, too, but its REAL capacity for murder isn't through sheer launch power, but through its ability to gimp recovery while allowing Sonic to get back safely to stage. If your opponent is recovering low, just run right off the stage and f-air them away, retreat to the ledge to refresh your jumps, and repeat. If they're recovering high, use your jump power to intercept and pressure them back into the void.
  • Alternately, on compatable stages you can easily b-air low-recovering, high-ish % opponents back into the stage geometry, often resulting in a Stage Spike straight into the pits of hell, or at least a considerable bounce-back recovery gimp.
  • Homing Attack isn't the GREATEST, of course, but once you learn its range it can be a good mix-up strat for recovery, or a fun and effective way of getting around projectile spammers like the Links.
  • Lastly, as I believe Maple Leaf mentioned, many of Sonic's moves defy "counters" like Shulk's Vision, Little Mac's Slip Counter, etc, because THEY'RE TOO SLO-OOW. Don't get cocky, but know that even with perfect reflexes, NO Little Mac or Ike player can actually hurt you by countering your Spin Dash Rolls.

More information as I discover and/or remember it!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

thank you

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

I, and indeed many others, love Mr Game & Watch, but even I have to admit he's not very good. He's the second lightest character in the game and he doesn't really have enough stuff to make up for that. Try to take full advantage of all the weird properties his moves have, like his up air. Keep them floating in the air until they do something predictable like attack or air dodge and punish them. Also his dash attack often combos into itself. Be aggressive in the air, and passive on the ground.

Down throw -> up tilt is pretty guaranteed, but if you wanna be ballsy try Dthrow -> side B.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

If you're not trying to combo everything into Judgment you're playing G&W wrong.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I want to start using the ever fabulous Wii Fit Trainer. Any tips?

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why
ive been playing lots of g&w

- spam his food whenever you can. just toss out 2-3 in most cases since the cooldown frames are atrocious
- use his jab, and his down tilt, a LOT. they are excellent moves
- up b to down A is a decent combo but don't get predictable
- only smash really worth using is his down smash, imo. hits both sides with good range, comes up very fast, decent kill potential if you are close to the edge
- his nair is huge, and is 'out' for a lot of frames. you can almost short hop nair spam the same way you would with shulk if you wanna get really ballsy, but don't get launched!!

grab to side b is really really fickle, i've only been able to consistently land it on fairly heavy characters. side b really shines after a block though, since it comes out super fast. you should try to land it every time you block a move, until it becomes predictable.

edit: also learn to use oil panic, since it hits SUPER loving hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZWhLNl7kM4

no_funeral fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 4, 2014

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I've found with G&W when you're doing a jump recovery from an edge that immediately using his down-a aerial catches people off guard. I think it works with both Links fairly well too.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I fear good G&W players in For Glory cause they have like a million things to keep me from getting at them

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
So I don't have this game yet, does it have at least one or two songs from the Sonic R soundtrack? If there's none of those on top of no YOU'RE TOO SLOW then they really must hate Sonic...

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why

Louisgod posted:

I've found with G&W when you're doing a jump recovery from an edge that immediately using his down-a aerial catches people off guard. I think it works with both Links fairly well too.

its also good to use on people trying to grab the ledge too, since you can up-b out of it provided you didn't use it already then miss. i think that's how it works, at least.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Keiya posted:

So I don't have this game yet, does it have at least one or two songs from the Sonic R soundtrack? If there's none of those on top of no YOU'RE TOO SLOW then they really must hate Sonic...

Honestly, the less Jason Griffith the better. Couldn't stand his voice acting for Sonic.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
What's the best way to reveal 100% of the wall during credits? My best result was with Ike using his up + B over and over again, but I only got to about 99.8%.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

seiferguy posted:

What's the best way to reveal 100% of the wall during credits? My best result was with Ike using his up + B over and over again, but I only got to about 99.8%.

Play classic with a friend.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

seiferguy posted:

A lot is going to depend on your character, but generally avoid the item balloons. Bombs and the space jump make it harder to fill in gaps. Try to get the edges early on, they're the most difficult spots because of the movement of the picture how names often won't reach them. Along the same lines, try to fill in big areas first and move around, then cover the gaps.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

PoPcornTG posted:

I've also discovered more cool poo poo since then!

• SKID-CANCELLING

There's a way to pop out F-smashes really quick and cool-like. It's tricky to learn at first, but basically, whenever you let go of the left stick in order to stop running, Sonic will slide for a bit and enter a "skidding" animation. This means that, for a short while after "telling" Sonic to stop running, you're STILL stuck in a "running" state, meaning that (other than u-smashes, specials, grabs, and aerials) the only thing you can do is a dash attack. Bummer, right?

Well, here's the neat bit: partway through the "skidding" animation, there's a VERY LOUD "skidding" sound effect. The INSTANT that SFX starts playing, you can interrupt the skidding animation with ANY ground action - shielding, jabbing, any tilt, or ANY SMASH ATTACK in EITHER direction. THIS is how you use Sonic's F-smash to murder people.

HOWEVER, there IS a catch. Sonic actually has TWO "running" states, depending on how long you've been in the dash for. The above advice only applies to the "long" running state. You can tell which "state" you were in based on Sonic's stopping animation. If he slides with both feet planted on the ground, you haven't been running long enough, and the recovery time is actually LONGER, and there's no audio cue. BUMMER!

• THE SPINSHOT

Okay, this is the Good poo poo, now. Sonic has an advanced recovery technique called the "Spinshot". The Spinshot allows for varied approach options, improved/varied horizontal recovery, and mindgames. And best of all, performing the Spinshot (on Wii U) requires basically ZERO effort, timing, or special dexterity.

There are two varients to the Spinshot: grounded, and aerial. The GROUNDED Spinshot is also known as the Instant Spin Dash Jump (ISDJ) or the Thok. The AERIAL Spinshot... is just called "the Spinshot". While they have some slightly different properties, they're both executed the exact same way:

Start charging Sonic's Down-B (the "Spin Charge"). This does NOT work with his Side-B ("Spin Dash"). Once Sonic's revved up ANY amount, let go of down and B, point the left stick towards [the the direction you were facing when you started the Charge], and slam the C-stick in ANY direction.

When performed on the ground, Sonic will instantly perform an EXTREMELY long jump at regular-jump height (it's as long as Battlefield!), during most of which he has a persistant hitbox akin to jumping out of a rolling Spin Dash/Spin Charge. You can perform any aerial, including Nairs, out of this "slingshot" jump. Its trajectory is COMPLETELY fixed, until interrupted by an aerial.

The aerial spinshot is almost identical, but with two major caveats: ONE, aerial Spinshots lack the passive hitbox of the "Thok". TWO: More importantly, you can ONLY perform the spinshot if you STILL HAVE YOUR DOUBLE-JUMP IN RESERVE. (Performing the spinshot will consume your double-jump, but since it's an objective improvement over the usual double-jump in terms of recovery, I'd wager that's fair.)

Learn to use the Spinshot and to skid-cancel Sonic's ground moves, and you'll be even MORE mobile, fluid, and powerful than ever before!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

DoctorWhat posted:

• SKID-CANCELLING

There's a way to pop out F-smashes really quick and cool-like. It's tricky to learn at first, but basically, whenever you let go of the left stick in order to stop running, Sonic will slide for a bit and enter a "skidding" animation. This means that, for a short while after "telling" Sonic to stop running, you're STILL stuck in a "running" state, meaning that (other than u-smashes, specials, grabs, and aerials) the only thing you can do is a dash attack. Bummer, right?

Well, here's the neat bit: partway through the "skidding" animation, there's a VERY LOUD "skidding" sound effect. The INSTANT that SFX starts playing, you can interrupt the skidding animation with ANY ground action - shielding, jabbing, any tilt, or ANY SMASH ATTACK in EITHER direction. THIS is how you use Sonic's F-smash to murder people.

HOWEVER, there IS a catch. Sonic actually has TWO "running" states, depending on how long you've been in the dash for. The above advice only applies to the "long" running state. You can tell which "state" you were in based on Sonic's stopping animation. If he slides with both feet planted on the ground, you haven't been running long enough, and the recovery time is actually LONGER, and there's no audio cue. BUMMER!

• THE SPINSHOT

Okay, this is the Good poo poo, now. Sonic has an advanced recovery technique called the "Spinshot". The Spinshot allows for varied approach options, improved/varied horizontal recovery, and mindgames. And best of all, performing the Spinshot (on Wii U) requires basically ZERO effort, timing, or special dexterity.

There are two varients to the Spinshot: grounded, and aerial. The GROUNDED Spinshot is also known as the Instant Spin Dash Jump (ISDJ) or the Thok. The AERIAL Spinshot... is just called "the Spinshot". While they have some slightly different properties, they're both executed the exact same way:

Start charging Sonic's Down-B (the "Spin Charge"). This does NOT work with his Side-B ("Spin Dash"). Once Sonic's revved up ANY amount, let go of down and B, point the left stick towards [the the direction you were facing when you started the Charge], and slam the C-stick in ANY direction.

When performed on the ground, Sonic will instantly perform an EXTREMELY long jump at regular-jump height (it's as long as Battlefield!), during most of which he has a persistant hitbox akin to jumping out of a rolling Spin Dash/Spin Charge. You can perform any aerial, including Nairs, out of this "slingshot" jump. Its trajectory is COMPLETELY fixed, until interrupted by an aerial.

The aerial spinshot is almost identical, but with two major caveats: ONE, aerial Spinshots lack the passive hitbox of the "Thok". TWO: More importantly, you can ONLY perform the spinshot if you STILL HAVE YOUR DOUBLE-JUMP IN RESERVE. (Performing the spinshot will consume your double-jump, but since it's an objective improvement over the usual double-jump in terms of recovery, I'd wager that's fair.)

Learn to use the Spinshot and to skid-cancel Sonic's ground moves, and you'll be even MORE mobile, fluid, and powerful than ever before!

I like to hit Mario with a hammer.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Sitting Bull posted:

ive been playing lots of g&w

- spam his food whenever you can. just toss out 2-3 in most cases since the cooldown frames are atrocious
- use his jab, and his down tilt, a LOT. they are excellent moves
- up b to down A is a decent combo but don't get predictable
- only smash really worth using is his down smash, imo. hits both sides with good range, comes up very fast, decent kill potential if you are close to the edge
- his nair is huge, and is 'out' for a lot of frames. you can almost short hop nair spam the same way you would with shulk if you wanna get really ballsy, but don't get launched!!

grab to side b is really really fickle, i've only been able to consistently land it on fairly heavy characters. side b really shines after a block though, since it comes out super fast. you should try to land it every time you block a move, until it becomes predictable.

edit: also learn to use oil panic, since it hits SUPER loving hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZWhLNl7kM4

video owns, thanks.

edit: this guy had a video that explained Wario's weird vectoring and now I'm really sad it's gone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N88FInWUfVo

mabels big day fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 4, 2014

ClassicFascist
Jul 8, 2011
My roommate bought this and its the first smash game I've played with any amount of consistency. I'm having a blast with it! That being said I'm also pretty bad at it. I've taken a liking to wario with his motorcycle and ability to chew on people. Is there any specific tips and tricks when using wario? His fart move confuses me most, it doesn't seem to do much (any?) damage. I've looked for guides but most seem to be on brawl and I'm not sure how much has changed.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

ClassicFascist posted:

My roommate bought this and its the first smash game I've played with any amount of consistency. I'm having a blast with it! That being said I'm also pretty bad at it. I've taken a liking to wario with his motorcycle and ability to chew on people. Is there any specific tips and tricks when using wario? His fart move confuses me most, it doesn't seem to do much (any?) damage. I've looked for guides but most seem to be on brawl and I'm not sure how much has changed.

I asked in the Imp Zone thread and here's what I got:

Bobnumerotres posted:

use the bike a LOT
use his dair a lot
use his taunts a lot

he is a very difficult character though, most of his kills will come from edge guarding.

mabels big day posted:

dash attack good. bite good. bike good. up b bad. down air bad if you miss. other airs good. all throws good. up smash good. forward smash bad if you miss. that's wario.

mabels big day posted:

always eat bike if its on stage

Bobnumerotres posted:

also, the fart is not limited to the actual fart. wario himself becomes a deathball and anyone he comes in contact with during his uprising will meet with a terrible fate

ClassicFascist
Jul 8, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

I asked in the Imp Zone thread and here's what I got:

Thanks!

Is there any benefit from taunting other than it's funny?

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

ClassicFascist posted:

Thanks!

The only reason why you would not taunt is if you're playing as Dedede, in which case you just crouch.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
It is also influential.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Uh oh!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

ClassicFascist posted:

Thanks!

If you can't understand the competitive implications of wiggling your butt at someone then I don't know if this game is for you.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

ClassicFascist posted:

Thanks!

WA! WA! WA!

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

adding to this, mr. game & watch's up air, down tilt, and the beginning of fire all have windboxes that push the opponent upwards pretty far. take advantage of this to control the opponent in the air and use it to either get them where you want them or just confuse them into making a mistake.

your goal with g&w should be to keep the opponent from playing the game when they are in the air. its rude and i love it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

The only reason why you would not taunt is if you're playing as Dedede, in which case you just crouch.

I think it's more fun as Sonic to run back and forth on the stage until the other player respawns than to taunt. Especially since they took away the good taunt

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ClassicFascist posted:

to elaborate on the fart, it passively charges as the match goes on. The longer you wait the stronger it gets, to a point where wario will flash yellow. Right at this time is the best time to use it, because if you keep holding on to it, it will still be powerful, but less so. To get the full damage from it you need to be right next to someone, and it is extremely lethal. I'm guessing that you're just using it constantly which is why it doesn't do any damage, you need to let it charge. Usually after a minute it's fairly powerful. I don't know the exact times off-hand, I just let it sit until I'm either ready to use it or I see him flash yellow.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I'm starting to enjoy Greninja after not initially like how he played in the 3DS version. But man I really wish he didn't have a counter and had something else instead (I don't really bother with custom moves, but you can't use them in randoms anyway). I'm awful with counters. I can rarely successfully pull one off. He's got a lot of fun moves though. It took me a little bit to figure out how that one disappear then reappear further away move worked. It's not immediately obvious that there's a shadow to look for. It's also pretty satisfying when you pull off the down attack and combo that into his backward leg kick thing. He's fun! I dunno why he seems more fun than when initially tried him.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

As amazing as Dedede's crouch is, his down taunt makes him spin around in a circle slapping his belly. This trumps the crouch.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

PantsBandit posted:

This trumps the crouch.

Sacrilege!

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

DoctorWhat posted:

• SKID-CANCELLING

• THE SPINSHOT

All of these Sonic effort posts are disgusting. I hope I never run into someone who knows how to play him.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Probad posted:

All of these Sonic effort posts are disgusting. I hope I never run into someone who knows how to play him.

I'm never going to be ashamed of being good at Sonic, especially now that Sonic is really really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8OAsNXNInc

• Locked thread