Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Bajaha posted:

To bring it back to the thread topic, anyone ever get irrationally irritated when you're riding in a friend's car and it looks like they've never changed their wipers and it would honestly be more effective to drive through a bush to clear the windshield? Seriously how do people live with such dirty windshields?

I'm one of those people who cleans their windshield on a weekly basis and apply Aquapel twice a year. It drives me absolutely batty to get in someone else's car and there's just poo poo smeared everywhere inside and out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I scrub my windshield every time I gas up. I also keep a micro rag in the car to get anything on the interior side. I do a lot of night driving, so the less FOD there is, the less glare there is. When I drove my $500 Volvo home after it had been sitting under a tree for two years (gently caress PO'S :argh:) I almost went into fits before I got it into one of the self-serve wash bays.

Someone today actually asked me where my Miata's windshield was because they were convinced I didn't have one from about 15 feet away :V

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 4, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

It works a lot better to put it directly on the windshield and buff it off.

I should have said that I do this as well. The blade trick is just something I picked up from a friend.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

MrYenko posted:

Conversely, Rain-X branded blades are loving awful.

I used to get a solid year from RainX weatherbeater. I bought some this year and didn't get 6 months out of them.

None of those tension spring wiper blades seem to work on my windshield, not sure why. Honestly the best have been the OEM ones from Subaru, despite the short life. Otherwise, I do recall a Consumer Reports saying that the most cost effective wiper blades are just the plain cheap ones where you replace the rubber. Doing that every 3 months is cheaper than buying the expensive ones once a year.

Trico seems to suck. I bought some last spring and they streaked when new.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 4, 2014

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I like the Bosch Icons on my car, I live in Seattle and they usually last about a year and a half.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

I used to get a solid year from RainX weatherbeater. I bought some this year and didn't get 6 months out of them.

None of those tension spring wiper blades seem to work on my windshield, not sure why. Honestly the best have been the OEM ones from Subaru, despite the short life. Otherwise, I do recall a Consumer Reports saying that the most cost effective wiper blades are just the plain cheap ones where you replace the rubber. Doing that every 3 months is cheaper than buying the expensive ones once a year.

Trico seems to suck. I bought some last spring and they streaked when new.

More on this topic - I read somewhere (maybe on here?) that the reason the cheap ones typically work better are because they rotate stock in the store faster than the $40 Bosch ones and as such the rubber isn't as degraded/UV damaged/whatever. I've had okay success buying the cheapest tension blade ones (Trico, etc) and replacing them once they start chattering (every 6-12 months).

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I get the Goodyear blades from costco. They have buy one get one free sales pretty regularly, enough that I usually have a set for one car and then the other about the same time they need to be replaced. They only cost $8 and work well enough/long enough for me to be happy.

And rain-x is awesome. About time to redo both cars glass.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Echoing the love for Valeo wipers. I used them for two years on my E46 with no problems... no streaking, no chattering or anything. Then I tried a pair of Icons and they were trash within three months. I guess I should have expected that from :argh:BOSCH:argh:

(Over my many years of German car ownership, Bosch and I have developed a spiteful, abusive relationship...why do you ask?)

MrChips fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 4, 2014

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I hear Bosch makes a great dishwasher

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I actually want to remove the RainX from my windshield. I've been using that washer fluid with the RainX built in, it seems to build up over time. The wiper blade goes across and I get a haze that lasts about a second before it evaporates, so I actually get better vision with the wipers on a delay.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 222 days!)

FogHelmut posted:

I actually want to remove the RainX from my windshield. I've been using that washer fluid with the RainX built in, it seems to build up over time. The wiper blade goes across and I get a haze that lasts about a second before it evaporates, so I actually get better vision with the wipers on a delay.

I've only had this happen when pouring it on manually and not buffing it out well enough. So, you must be OCD as gently caress with the wipers. Grab a watered down cotton towel and start waxing off.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Also chiming in with good experiences with Valeo wipers, picked up a set of retrofit flat blades to replace the old and falling apart Bosch ones on my Cooper S. They look a bit odd where they attach to the arms as my car has the old hook style mounts, but they're absolutely fantastic, and most importantly dirt cheap.

If I'd gone for Bosch I'd have had to pay out over twice the amount for each wiper blade, as well as buying new wiper arms to fit them.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Rock Auto just had a huge markdown offer on their blades, so I bought like $30 worth. The only thing that got the spring blades is the daily, and they seem to work just as well as the $2/set ones I got. :shrug: It was well worth it when stuck driving through the impromptu snowstorms earlier this week.

ObObvious: If you really want to talk terrible car stuff, I should show my goabout with Rock Auto over their "RSS" system sending HTML, not XML or even XHTML. Yep, only Promotions is XML. The rest is just rendered HTML. :zombie:

v- Its no Nissan.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Also took this photo a few months ago and forgot to post it in here. I'm not sure if its awful or has gone full circle into awesome.

I admit I'd drive the poo poo out of this if Pavel Petel was riding in the passenger seat with me.

Lord Ludikrous fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 4, 2014

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

FogHelmut posted:

I got that when I used the orange rainx fluid too. Went back to the cheap blue stuff and it was fine.

I think I am just going to get replacement inserts for the OEM housings and clean them more often. I want to be able to trust it's not going to go flying off when I'm driving.

By the by, VW's are Bosch with the push button design, but VW adds an extra tab on there and that tab was preventing me from using the universal push button type adapter with the Trico.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

revmoo posted:

They do! But like most companies they have a few 'grades' of washers and the cheap one ain't amazing.

Ludicro posted:

Also took this photo a few months ago and forgot to post it in here. I'm not sure if its awful or has gone full circle into awesome.

I admit I'd drive the poo poo out of this if Pavel Petel was riding in the passenger seat with me.

Petel would make you ride bitch and you know this...

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Viggen posted:

Rock Auto just had a huge markdown offer on their blades, so I bought like $30 worth. The only thing that got the spring blades is the daily, and they seem to work just as well as the $2/set ones I got. :shrug: It was well worth it when stuck driving through the impromptu snowstorms earlier this week.

ObObvious: If you really want to talk terrible car stuff, I should show my goabout with Rock Auto over their "RSS" system sending HTML, not XML or even XHTML. Yep, only Promotions is XML. The rest is just rendered HTML. :zombie:

v- Its no Nissan.

Looks fine to me?
code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='ISO-8859-1' ?>
<rss version='2.0'>
<channel>
	<title>RockAuto Catalog Recent Part Listings : 2015 FORD ESCAPE 2.5L L4</title>
	<description>Recent RockAuto parts catalog additions for 2015 FORD ESCAPE 2.5L L4</description>
	<link>[url]http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?a=RSS3308767&amp;carcode=3308767[/url]</link>
	<category>RockAuto Automotive Parts2015 FORD ESCAPE 2.5L L4</category>
	<copyright>2014 RockAuto, LLC. All rights reserved.</copyright>
	<language>en-us</language>
	<webMaster>service@rockauto.com</webMaster>
	<ttl>600</ttl>
(etc...)

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
You see, son, one day the Batmobile and KITT met at a bar, had some cocktails and some months later...

Poor, poor... ummm... Firebird?

Close examination shows the "bodywork" to be about 50% Bondo and 50% plywood. Can't imagine what this thing must weigh.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Computer viking posted:

Looks fine to me?
code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='ISO-8859-1' ?>
<rss version='2.0'>
<channel>
	<title>RockAuto Catalog Recent Part Listings : 2015 FORD ESCAPE 2.5L L4</title>
	<description>Recent RockAuto parts catalog additions for 2015 FORD ESCAPE 2.5L L4</description>
	<link>[url]http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?a=RSS3308767&amp;carcode=3308767[/url]</link>
	<category>RockAuto Automotive Parts2015 FORD ESCAPE 2.5L L4</category>
	<copyright>2014 RockAuto, LLC. All rights reserved.</copyright>
	<language>en-us</language>
	<webMaster>service@rockauto.com</webMaster>
	<ttl>600</ttl>
(etc...)

What was your catalog path, carcode, et al? Looks like it should be:

http://www.rockauto.com/RSS/vehiclefeeds.php?carcode=3308767&l=en

I'm still getting rendered HTML out of 'em.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Not terrible rant stuff

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

revmoo posted:

They make great injectors

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Viggen posted:

What was your catalog path, carcode, et al? Looks like it should be:

http://www.rockauto.com/RSS/vehiclefeeds.php?carcode=3308767&l=en

I'm still getting rendered HTML out of 'em.

That looks like RSS to me - do a View Source on the page. (Firefox will render RSS feeds fairly nicely, including images.)

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Linedance posted:

Huh? Regular Crappy Tire metal replacements have always been plenty good enough to last through Ontario winters, both northern and southern. I've never had to take my wipers off and bring them inside to thaw them out. Those flexy ones look fancy, but they're like 4x the price and given that their only task is to wipe the windshield, they don't do a 4x better job of it.

I've never had much luck with traditional wipers in cold weather, seems like the tensioner pieces freeze and then 1/4 to 1/3 of the wiper stops making contact with the windshield. I live in NE Ohio so weather should be pretty similar, maybe except for increased snowfall due to lake effect.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

revmoo posted:

Whichever one came in the house we just bought is pretty drat nice. Very quiet, very few cycles that need a re-wash.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Computer viking posted:

That looks like RSS to me - do a View Source on the page. (Firefox will render RSS feeds fairly nicely, including images.)

Well it /is/ RSS 2.0 in Firefox now- guess they updated their exclusion list. I was using cURL (indirectly), and no matter what I threw it as a User-Agent, it was giving me HTML, and I really, really didn't want to deal with HTMLDOM in Tyool 2014. Cheers.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

You see, son, one day the Batmobile and KITT met at a bar, had some cocktails and some months later...

Poor, poor... ummm... Firebird?

Close examination shows the "bodywork" to be about 50% Bondo and 50% plywood. Can't imagine what this thing must weigh.

Fiero.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

GutBomb posted:

I got that when I used the orange rainx fluid too. Went back to the cheap blue stuff and it was fine.

I love the orange fluid, but Rain-X changed something in their formula late last year/early this year and whatever they did broke the fluid level sensor (widespread problem on VWs) after six years of being no problem. Sure, a new sensor is a few bucks, but it requires disassembling the front end to replace it.

It'd be less of an issue of VW didn't treat low washer fluid with the same urgency as low fuel: bright yellow warning light that flashes every couple of seconds on the in-dash computer screen, blocking out the compass and time. I've learned to tune it out these last six months...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

In a strange turn of events, it's actually not a Fiero this time.

That's a third gen Firebird.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MrYenko posted:

In a strange turn of events, it's actually not a Fiero this time.

That's a third gen Firebird.

Still a Fiero.

Always a Fiero.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.

MrSaturn posted:

Don't be so environmentally irresponsible. You get new tires when your old ones start to corrode.

(Side note: oh god tires are so expensive why did I ever buy this car)

I just put tires on my V wagon last week. Painful. First time I didn't put the Pilot Sport PS2's on there - the rears have gotten ludicrously expensive. I went with the Potenza S-04 Pole Position on all 4 corners, instead. So far, so good.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

This is a facebook video, so I thought I'd put it here rather than the youtube thread.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10154907173900112

hopefully that link works, couldn't find the vid on youtube.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

I'm surprised it hasn't happened already but eventually he's going to honk at the wrong person and end up learning the art of patience.

To follow up on this- since watching a few of his videos, I've started noticing how many times someone cuts me off, passes on the shoulder, cuts across lanes, and doing at least 20 over the speed limit- just a little bit more - every day. I still don't drive like a complete rear end in a top hat ALTHOUGH I WAS KINDA PROVOKED. I really can't figure out what this guys' issue is. He is just as bad as the people he broadcasts- if not worse, since most of them seem clueless (or rear end in a top hat lane jumpers). He seems to try to set up altercations for the smallest infraction. gently caress him.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DEAR RICHARD posted:

He does drive like an rear end, but I have to say that I have seen some mind blowing poo poo from Portland drivers. I admit to making mistakes, but some of the poo poo I see on a daily basis is just downright unbelievable.

He's just beat down from all the dumb poo poo.

No, he is the dumb poo poo, he is part of the problem. It's like a 400lb person complaining about the 350lb person beside them being fat.

Most of the other people he films are bad at driving, and move way too slowly. He is bad at driving and moves way to quickly. They might scuff some paint at some point, he's going to total 2 cars, or paint the road with a pedestrian.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Viggen posted:

Well it /is/ RSS 2.0 in Firefox now- guess they updated their exclusion list. I was using cURL (indirectly), and no matter what I threw it as a User-Agent, it was giving me HTML, and I really, really didn't want to deal with HTMLDOM in Tyool 2014. Cheers.

Parsing HTML for car stuff would have been terrible.

(I've done similar things. Not fun.)

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Uthor posted:

It'd be less of an issue of VW didn't treat low washer fluid with the same urgency as low fuel: bright yellow warning light that flashes every couple of seconds on the in-dash computer screen, blocking out the compass and time. I've learned to tune it out these last six months...
Well, if you've ever driven on the Autobahn in summer without washer fluid it doesn't take long until your view is obscured by grasshopper and other bug guts smeared all over the windscreen. But there's also always a gas station nearby.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

JazzmasterCurious posted:

Well, if you've ever driven on the Autobahn in summer without washer fluid it doesn't take long until your view is obscured by grasshopper and other bug guts smeared all over the windscreen. But there's also always a gas station nearby.

I've found that all washers and wipers do is smear those bug guts all over the windscreen and make it worse.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ludicro posted:

I've found that all washers and wipers do is smear those bug guts all over the windscreen and make it worse.

Only if you let them dry first. If you hit the fluid within a few seconds of the bug hitting your windshield it cleans up really nice. Saves you a bit of extra scrubbing at the gas station too.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

MrYenko posted:

You get new tires when you can't see the wear bars anymore, right?

:iamafag:

If you're like my idiot uncle, you wait until the belt material underneath starts wearing through and the car can barely be handled safely to change them out.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Ok so look: I maintain that despite their reputation, Calgary drivers are no worse than you will find anywhere else but drat if this lady isn't making it hard for me to defend that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYcsW48HHXM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Jonny Nox posted:

Ok so look: I maintain that despite their reputation, Calgary drivers are no worse than you will find anywhere else but drat if this lady isn't making it hard for me to defend that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYcsW48HHXM

I saw that and I have to say I think its a fake based solely on her ability to get stuck austin powers style between the curb and that acura SUV.