Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Is this game better than Driveclub on the PS4? That game was such a frustrating mess Online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Feenix posted:

In this race, it's not even catch up! That black muscle car will be out of sight within the second turn if you don't cheaply run him off the road, ( if if you can even catch him to do so.)

[And if you do run him off the road early, yes, some crazy bullshit catchup will ensue...]

I just did that race, and I won by not driving anywhere near the track. I cut corners by truly impressive amounts since the checkpoints are not near the corners of the track. Amusingly, when I did it that car would oversteer straight into a brick wall on the first left hand corner onto the freeway. Every. Single. Time. He would still be right behind me 2 turns later.

arbybaconator posted:

Is this game better than Driveclub on the PS4? That game was such a frustrating mess Online.

Driveclub is a huge mess but the actual driving is far, far better in my opinion.

I really want to like this game, truly. The world is great and massive and would be fun to drive in if the game offered something that was similar to actual driving.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
See, I've played that race a handful of times (2 or 3 in beta, twice in release), and I've never had a problem with a lightspeed rocket car. Assuming you clip the corners and don't get boned by traffic I've found I usually finish a few seconds ahead having led from the 2nd bend. :shrug:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

So, here's something odd i'm curious about. I bought the 1969 Camaro RS, right, and the available specs it lists are Street, Dirt, and Perf. No Raid or Circuit. Thing is, there's a time trial early on, Ironclad Dash, that gives you a Raid Camaro RS. There's also a race later where you get a Raid spec F-150 Raptor and one of the opponents is a Raid Camaro RS. I'm wondering if these are just weird one-off mission vehicles, or you just unlock Raid spec for it eventually and it just doesn't tell you that :psyduck:

Also, yeah, the rubberbanding is hosed. I'm having flashbacks to the original Most Wanted when you could be doing 220mph in a Lamborghini and have Crown Vics and Rhino SUVs right on your back bumper.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
There's an RUF like that for one race that's in street spec, which normally it can't use. AFAIK it's just one-offs.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
If people are playing this game for the missions against the AI they're not getting the most out of this game. It's far more enjoyable to race other players or do the non-ai missions like the time trials. Honestly I'm not quite sure why the AI missions are in the game at all.

Great Joe posted:

The Crew: "It doesn't handle that bad! Just get some upgrades!"

It's true though also the Focus RS 2010 handles miles better than a ton of the other cars.

BitBasher posted:

I really want to like this game, truly. The world is great and massive and would be fun to drive in if the game offered something that was similar to actual driving.

It's not even the driving not being realistic enough, the driving is just strange. Like even APB reloaded a game primarily made where driving is an auxiliary aspect to the main game has more predictable handling.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 3, 2014

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Extra posted:

If people are playing this game for the missions against the AI they're not getting the most out of this game. It's far more enjoyable to race other players or do the non-ai missions like the time trials. Honestly I'm not quite sure why the AI missions are in the game at all.

Hell, i've been having crazy amounts of fun just driving around finding data centers / car parts. The scenery in this is loving gorgeous, sunsets in the mountains are beautiful and coming into Vegas at night for the first time was cool as hell. The exploration aspect owns.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
One small quality of life I'd like to see is an in-game stopwatch and player placement tools for multiple waypoints or saved routes.

Like players could set up X waypoints make that into a route and share it with friends or make it public. The game would track the time between the start and finish points requiring that players hit each checkpoint. Or players creating custom scavenger hunt lists to find checkpoints in strange places. Offroad challenges and trick jumps/rock crawls to find player placed objectives. Also support for pick-up cat and mouse battles between players tracking the distance between cars and scoring each player. If you could just go find a random player and challenge them to a battle right then and there with a scoring UI it would be rather neat.

There's a lot of opportunity for player created content in the game that I hope Ubi would take advantage of. We've seen player created content can not only vastly improve the replayability of a game but push sales years after release.

Right now it seems most of the budget went into car parts and AI missions instead of giving players tools to make their own fun.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 3, 2014

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Those are all seriously cool ideas, i'd love the multiple waypoint thing. That would be handy for making crazy cross country runs, i'd use the hell out of it.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

T1g4h posted:

Hell, i've been having crazy amounts of fun just driving around finding data centers / car parts. The scenery in this is loving gorgeous, sunsets in the mountains are beautiful and coming into Vegas at night for the first time was cool as hell. The exploration aspect owns.

I'm very, very interested in this bit, and had a (for me) very surprising amount of fun tooling around TDU2.

But always online and micro transactions are a big turn off. I have no interest in multiplayer, racing, or even "cars" per se. I just really enjoy chill, no pressure open world exploration.

So I guess I'll wait for a sale.

Anything fun/recognizable to see up in New England, or was it too unpopulated to get much love?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I have yet to need the microtransaction stuff. Hell, when you join a PvP faction, the game gives you 100k Crew Credits, which are the microtransaction funds. I bought my expensive Camaro and still have like 50k left, plus you get 2k in normal cash just for visiting a viewpoint. There's like 20 in New York alone, cash is fairly easy to come by if you explore.

I haven't checked the Northeast too much, i plan on cruising through Maine tonight. I'm sad they didn't put some rendition of Arkansas in. They have Alabama and Tennessee but no Arkansas :(

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
So this is 60 fps on PC only, correct? Because holy poo poo I feel bad for everyone that doesn't get to play this at 60 fps, it's like a completely different game.

I beat the story mode and am level 50 and holy poo poo there's platinum medals now and I've got to get all the cars and crush all the pubbies, I'm enjoying it immensely.

e: Also money is pretty easy to make if you play multiplayer or do faction stuff. I've got a couple hundred thousand now and I just spent like 70k making my cars various shades of pink. Considering the most expensive cars in the game are a million bucks, that's not really bad at all. I think I get 20k per multiplayer race, and upwards of like 30k for the medium length (20minute) faction missions. And many thousands for getting platinum medals, etc.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 3, 2014

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

T1g4h posted:

I haven't checked the Northeast too much, i plan on cruising through Maine tonight. I'm sad they didn't put some rendition of Arkansas in. They have Alabama and Tennessee but no Arkansas :(

If you have a chance, report on Maine and maybe throw up some screenies. I live there and don't expect much, but... :unsmith:

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!
It is very foggy all the time.

Extra posted:

One small quality of life I'd like to see is an in-game stopwatch and player placement tools for multiple waypoints or saved routes.

Like players could set up X waypoints make that into a route and share it with friends or make it public. The game would track the time between the start and finish points requiring that players hit each checkpoint. Or players creating custom scavenger hunt lists to find checkpoints in strange places. Offroad challenges and trick jumps/rock crawls to find player placed objectives. Also support for pick-up cat and mouse battles between players tracking the distance between cars and scoring each player. If you could just go find a random player and challenge them to a battle right then and there with a scoring UI it would be rather neat.

There's a lot of opportunity for player created content in the game that I hope Ubi would take advantage of. We've seen player created content can not only vastly improve the replayability of a game but push sales years after release.

Right now it seems most of the budget went into car parts and AI missions instead of giving players tools to make their own fun.

Also in regards to waypoints, I don't know if you were ever in Orv and I's crew but when the crew leader places a waypoint, everyone else in the crew sees it, which is how we were doing our hotrod drive at the end of beta.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Here's hoping the game does well enough to merit a Canada/Alaska and Mexico...and Hawaii?

Also I am wondering if there's anything remotely relevant to the Carolinas! It seems like Florida just extends all the way up to D.C. but I was hoping at the very least there's a preposterous number of high-rise hotels along a beach road all the sudden.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Extra posted:

They had a whole custom race car club thing in TDU2, with a decent race editor and a setup for rewards/buyins and stuff, it was great. Hardly anybody used it. Except to try and scam people out of money by making unbeatable or stealthily cheatable routes.

Gyra_Solune posted:

Here's hoping the game does well enough to merit a Canada/Alaska and Mexico...and Hawaii?

I'd like to see a sequel in Europe. If Hawaii is your thing, you really need to look into the two Test Drive Unlimited games.. (Just play 2)

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Why do the Nissan cars have ??s next to top speed and 0-60. It seems to only be those cars.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Shadowlz posted:

Why do the Nissan cars have ??s next to top speed and 0-60. It seems to only be those cars.

It's dumb car manufacturer bullshit, like how a lot of them won't allow damage to be shown, etc.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

AirRaid posted:

I'd like to see a sequel in Europe.

Surely you've heard of Euro Truck Simulator by now what with how the internet is so enamored with it

...Honestly I'd kind of like to see more unusual locales. Give us like, India or China. Or maybe even the whole of Africa, there's a ton of interesting stuff you could do with that.

South America would be rad too. The south has a lot of diverse terrain, Patagonia would be rad to race on, while the north would probably have the vast jungles compressed, but there's a lot of the bigger cities there.

Gyra_Solune fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 3, 2014

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

I picked this up today after enjoying the beta on PC. Add me if you want to do some crew stuff.

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197961509046

Uplay: RuhhRohh

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Gyra_Solune posted:

...Honestly I'd kind of like to see more unusual locales. Give us like, India or China. Or maybe even the whole of Africa, there's a ton of interesting stuff you could do with that.

South America would be rad too. The south has a lot of diverse terrain, Patagonia would be rad to race on, while the north would probably have the vast jungles compressed, but there's a lot of the bigger cities there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUpuYyTzOEM
:flashfap::flashfap::flashfap:

Honestly the US highway system isn't exactly high on the list of interesting places to drive.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Yessss. Street racing in Cairo and Lagos and crazy rally stuff in the remote parts.

It also helps that there's an incredibly easy outline for how a road-based map of Africa would go.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Orv posted:

It's dumb car manufacturer bullshit, like how a lot of them won't allow damage to be shown, etc.
This is also why having Honda aboard for The Crew is impossible. They HATE having their cars shown used in crime.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
The handling in this game is criminal. I mean, not just what's been covered already... but in that you can be doing a raid, lined up perfectly, do a jump, land funny (because... UBI PHYSICS?) and when you land you spin around, and oh you only had 10seconds to get to that next checkpoint, sorry, try again...

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Try turning some graphics settings down. The higher frame rate will raise the acceleration and top speed of your car. :v:

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Did anyone else get about half a million crew credits dumped on them randomly last night? Free lambo, charger, camaro and a bmw :3

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Orv posted:

Same reason why cars wibble-wobble and never actually roll over. Dunno how they managed to get in TDU but not Crew :shrug:

I ground that first Police Chase mission to burn up to lvl 10 so I can get some Dirt on my Focus. Whoop. Arfcroc on PS4 is anyone wants to crew up.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Gyra_Solune posted:

Surely you've heard of Euro Truck Simulator by now what with how the internet is so enamored with it

I've driven through Turkey, and not enough games have driving in Turkey. There's some parts that are nearly flat and go through dry, empty terrain, and then there's Istanbul and hahaha good luck going fast there even if all the streets were miraculously empty somehow.

Then add in a Caucasus expansion so you can drive through Georgia and up through the mountains, that poo poo's doubly intense.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Not sure why I'm doing missions to make money in this game when I could rob one of the LITERALLY THOUSANDS of armored cars sitting on the apex of every corner.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Looks like the PS4 version of this game loses pretty badly to the Xbone version:

From the digital foundry analysis: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-the-crew-performance-analysis

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Interlaced video in 2014.

The Crew.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Looks like the PS4 version of this game loses pretty badly to the Xbone version:

From the digital foundry analysis: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-the-crew-performance-analysis

Yeah, I was wondering why everything shimmered and jagged on my copy on the PS4.

Not that I give a poo poo... Gameflyed this controversially bad video game. But, it's like...

You gently caress up Unity. Ok, maybe something happened... ok.
You have server and other issues on Far Cry 4 (understandable I suppose...)
You gently caress up The Crew in like a hundred different ways... you start to wonder if Ubi truly just doesn't give a poo poo. I mean even EA (at it's worst) at least tried to APPEAR like they were working in your best interests... Ubi is like the Jack Thompson of video game developers. They are literally twirling their mustache and sneering.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Fintilgin posted:

If you have a chance, report on Maine and maybe throw up some screenies. I live there and don't expect much, but... :unsmith:

I got a bit distracted by finding car parts, but as requested, random shots from the Maine area. When I say Maine area, I mean "The Crew's geography is really oddly mixed and mashed so I'm not sure how many of these are actually from Maine and how many are just from surrounding states."

Basically, Maine is permanently in Autumn. Bonus shot from my visit to the Niagra Falls:

They're not as impressive as I had hoped :v:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Those are some delicious PS2 texture seams right there :thumbsup:

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Why aren't the roads in maine full of potholes?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

T1g4h posted:

I got a bit distracted by finding car parts, but as requested, random shots from the Maine area. When I say Maine area, I mean "The Crew's geography is really oddly mixed and mashed so I'm not sure how many of these are actually from Maine and how many are just from surrounding states."

They're not as impressive as I had hoped :v:

Cool, thanks. :)

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Cubey posted:

Those are some delicious PS2 texture seams right there :thumbsup:

Yeah, their rock texturing isn't exactly great. And that's with everything on Ultra.

Extra posted:

Why aren't the roads in maine full of potholes?

Look, we've established this isn't a simulator. If it was, every mission in the South would be against a bunch of beer drinking good 'ol boys in jacked up trucks or mullet-laden guys in their 30's and 40's driving T-Top equipped Camaros :colbert:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I'm in Chicago, I've just started working for this douchey guy. I've only done campaign stuff so far, mission to mission, thinking it would kind of open some stuff up for me before I explored. Get my car to where I could control it better, had some upgrades, etc...

What should I be doing for max fun and/or max earnings?

I tried filtering the map on PVP events and Faction events or whatever but I don't see *anything* come up on the map...

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!
PvP and Faction stuff unlocks at level 10.

For max fun ignore everything story related and just drive around with other people, having impromptu races/cruising around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
This has to be the only racing game I have ever played in my storied career of gaming where doing a moderate jump then landing that jump sees you immediately pull a 180 as you lose control of your car.

• Locked thread