Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SHISHKABOB posted:

go land on the moon and tell me the universe is awesome for life :lol:

Its hardly proof against a universe filled with life. Its like saying because you don't see life on the first stepping stone in your garden, it must be lifeless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Its hardly proof against a universe filled with life. Its like saying because you don't see life on the first stepping stone in your garden, it must be lifeless.

There's a lot more than a few stepping stones out there that are barren of life!

Not to mention most space is filled with uh hydrogen atoms haha, ain't no life there either.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SHISHKABOB posted:

There's a lot more than a few stepping stones out there that are barren of life!

Not to mention most space is filled with uh hydrogen atoms haha, ain't no life there either.

Yes, because apparently SHISHKABOB has searched the millions of billions of galaxies and stars and found them wanting.

Thanks for letting us know, we'll call off the search.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Yes, because apparently SHISHKABOB has searched the millions of billions of galaxies and stars and found them wanting.

Thanks for letting us know, we'll call off the search.

Oh so you're saying that there's possible life floating around in the endless tracts of interstellar and intergalactic space?

mhmm that makes sense

Most space is not good for life. And by most I mean like the amount of space where life has a chance of existing is like really really small. "oh but we don't care about EMPTY SPACE" oh well then maybe you shouldn't say "the universe is good for life- wow!" because MOST OF IT IS NOT GOOD FOR LIFE.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SHISHKABOB posted:

"oh but we don't care about EMPTY SPACE" oh well then maybe you shouldn't say "the universe is good for life- wow!" because MOST OF IT IS NOT GOOD FOR LIFE.

Did I say that? Following Drake's Equation, there SHOULD be life elsewhere in the galaxy, its far better to say that we don't know that there isn't life elsewhere than to say that there is no way life exists elsewhere.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Oh so you're saying that there's possible life floating around in the endless tracts of interstellar and intergalactic space?

Very possible, although we don't have any evidence for it yet.

But at the end of the day, our small planet and its life in the grand scheme of the cosmos is not proof of a creator or privilege.
We may just be a statistical anomaly in the cosmos, but more than likely that is all we are.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Whoah WHOAH whoah where are you going. I'm just saying that most of the universe is inhospitable. I made no claims about "is there life???????"

Sure the earth is awesometastic to live on, but go a hundred kilometers away from it and you're dead!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SHISHKABOB posted:

Whoah WHOAH whoah where are you going. I'm just saying that most of the universe is inhospitable. I made no claims about "is there life???????"

Sure the earth is awesometastic to live on, but go a hundred kilometers away from it and you're dead!

So? Guess we better go nowhere. Stay here guys, no reason to leave EuropeEarth, nothing to see or do.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
lol why would you think that, that's loving retarded. I think you're making some unfounded assumptions about my thoughts and what I'm trying to get across.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SHISHKABOB posted:

lol why would you think that, that's loving retarded. I think you're making some unfounded assumptions about my thoughts and what I'm trying to get across.

I think you are shitposting. But, it could just be me.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Yes we would die. But we have shown waterbears can survive in space. There is a chance that there are others who can as well. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Also you're running on an assumption of life as we know it. Prior to the last few decades we thought all life required the sun in some fashion. Until we found life based around sulfur and lives in the bottom of the ocean surviving heat we couldn't imagine.

There is no reason to believe that other forms of life don't exist.

Stretch Marx fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 4, 2014

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The claim was made "the universe seems strangely good for life". I made the counterpoint that most of the universe is inhospitable to life. You took this as a claim that... there is no life outside earth? We have no reason to explore beyond earth?

Imo you are the poo poo poster who isn't actually reading the posts to which he is responding.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

SHISHKABOB posted:

your original post:

SHISHKABOB posted:

go land on the moon and tell me the universe is awesome for life :lol:

I'm assuming was a response to the bolded part below:

Kopijeger posted:

If the creator of the universe "just exists" without having a cause, that sure would be strange! Why did the Creator emerge out of nothing? "It just did"? And soon the universe will be ruined by the heat death, and its entire inhabitable existence will be an incidental blip from the context of eternity? What a natural consequence of the observed properties of the universe.

In which case you have misread that post entirely, and your initial argument appears to be with no one in particular.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

duck monster posted:

I believe the universe is not out to get me, so therefore God isn't real.

Because if God was real, he'd realise what a threat I am with my MENTAL POWERS of smartness and cunning drunkardness and try and kill me.

But nobody is trying to kill me ergo gods not real its all cool yo. So I'm off to count angels on a pin.

Bro, I hate to break it to you, but God can just sit back and wait because he's already succeeded in trying to kill everybody by making them mortal. He's just murdering you through the slow process of cellular oxidation.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Bro, I hate to break it to you, but God can just sit back and wait because he's already succeeded in trying to kill everybody by making them mortal. He's just murdering you through the slow process of cellular oxidation.

Why didn't he make the chemical process of cellular life more friendly to his creations!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Proposition three and four are not the same, neither are they related.

Right, but this isn't exactly a stringent discussion though, so I didn't see the point in providing the full inductive argument or stating the laws of conservation.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Go land in the Panamint Range and tell me how the earth is awesome for life :lol:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

CommieGIR posted:

Why didn't he make the chemical process of cellular life more friendly to his creations!

I stand by the Catch 22 ethos that everything and everyone is out to kill you at all times. Even your own body is trying to kill you.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

vestigial organic structures in humans

boom, god as perfect designer disproven.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I stand by the Catch 22 ethos that everything and everyone is out to kill you at all times. Even your own body is trying to kill you.

drat Cancer and Oxygen consumption

JawKnee posted:

vestigial organic structures in humans

boom, god as perfect designer disproven.

Wisdom teeth

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

That just means I have to kill him first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0yVUaL9CWs

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
One argument I always had an issue with is the whole 'We're in just the right spot so it had to have been planned!'

. . .Well if we weren't in the right spot we wouldn't be around to talk about how we were just in the right spot, so that means jack and poo poo on it needing to be 'planned'.

And of course the circular logic of claiming the earth is a closed system when the sun exists.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Yeah, I can see an argument being made for it but Hegel is probably best thought of as a Christian rather than a pantheist:

quote:

God is not an abstraction but a concrete God...God, considered in terms of his eternal Idea, has to generate the Son, has to distinguish himself from himself; he is the process of differentiating, namely, love and Spirit

He corresponded with and was influenced by Spinoza and it's possible he conflated Spirit with God enough to be considered one but ultimately I'd wager he'd prefer to be called a Christian.

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

MY OPINIONS ARE NOT WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN SHIT

JawKnee posted:

I have this idea of the greatest possible hamburger...

also see my post at the top of the page

I have actually eaten the greatest possible hamburger.

This is not a joke.

Bugaboo Burger outside of Qualicum Bay. I cannot fathom a burger that is somehow better than the one sold out of that little roadside stand.

More on topic: No, supernatural things like deities aren't real. They're a good way to sucker people out of money, though, kind of like Nigerian princes.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
That's the weird thing about Nigerian prince scams, Nigeria's been a republic since 1963, these princes should've got their poo poo together by now.

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

MY OPINIONS ARE NOT WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN SHIT

Stottie Kyek posted:

That's the weird thing about Nigerian prince scams, Nigeria's been a republic since 1963, these princes should've got their poo poo together by now.

They would have, but you didn't give them your bank details to shuffle that inheritence money around.

:|

You could've all made it rich, but no, you had to trust in 'skeptcism' instead.

I Am The Scum
May 8, 2007
The devil made me do it

E-Tank posted:

One argument I always had an issue with is the whole 'We're in just the right spot so it had to have been planned!'

. . .Well if we weren't in the right spot we wouldn't be around to talk about how we were just in the right spot, so that means jack and poo poo on it needing to be 'planned'.

There's also a very basic contradiction. If an all-powerful being exists, there is no difference between "good" and "bad" areas for life. If God is out there, he could have humans swimming around in an infinite expanse of sulfuric acid, and those humans would be calling it "perfect for life."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Let me tell you all about these puddles who formed after it rained one day. "How remarkable!" said one to the other "that we as bodies of water should just so happen to exist in depressions in the ground capable of containing us! Surely a benevolent god must have crafted the universe such that these depressions were here for us. Too shallow or too deep and we wouldn't be here at all!"

Stupid loving puddles.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Any God that exists and allows goons to continue posting is not a God worth worshiping anyway, so who cares?

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

paragon1 posted:

Any God that exists and allows goons to continue posting is not a God worth worshiping anyway, so who cares?

Or has a great sense of humor.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

CommieGIR posted:

God works in mysterious (and deadly) ways.

You can't possibly understand god's grand plan, unless you realise that it is simply to kill you slowly in which case well done you for picking up on that.

Edward Robert Harrison posted:

Given enough time, hydrogen starts to wonder where it came from, and where it is going

QED

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
In HElium we have eternal life huh?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

HBNRW posted:

There is no reason to believe that other forms of life don't exist.

This is kind of half-true. While there's definitely some room for other forms of life, the building blocks *are* limited and have been exposed to similar forces throughout the universe. I think it's probably extremely likely that if we find other life in the solar system that it will closely resemble very simple life here on Earth.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Space Whale posted:

Hence Christianity actually being a sun-worshiping religion. Stars make helium out of hydrogen, the reaction without which life as we know it at least could not occur. So we worship that. We just needed a more appropriate contextual story as we became more advanced.

And to top it off, Lithium is the trinity of hydrogen atoms, and actually a psychiatric drug that flattens out your mood, coincidence I think not :catdrugs:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Space Whale posted:

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

markgreyam posted:

Hence Christianity actually being a sun-worshiping religion. Stars make helium out of hydrogen, the reaction without which life as we know it at least could not occur. So we worship that. We just needed a more appropriate contextual story as we became more advanced.

And to top it off, Lithium is the trinity of hydrogen atoms, and actually a psychiatric drug that flattens out your mood, coincidence I think not :catdrugs:

It's such a positive thing to consider isn't it :angel:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

markgreyam posted:

I think I would be okay with spiritual reverence of elements. Just so long as nobody starts worshiping radium.

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

Zeitgueist posted:

Dorkins is so militant he hasn't published anything that wasn't a pop-atheism book for decades.

I used to like the guy back when I was young and dumb, also I liked libertarians. Much like libertarianism, the easiest way to ruin it for you is to learn more about him.

Please don't compare Hitchens to Dick Dorkins. Dawkins can barely finish a sentence and he wants atheists to call themselves "brights" which is utterly retarded.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

markgreyam posted:

Jesus the Sun.

It died, so that we might live

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009
There is a possible world where a necessary supernatural being exists.

If it is possible that it is necessary for a supernatural being to exist, then it is necessary that this supernatural being exists.

It is necessary that this being (God) exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Let's kick this up a notch.

Boltzmann Brain!

and another: SOLIPSISM!

You're god falsely remembering creation that never happened but sprang into being a moment ago, and created me through your imagination.

WHOA

• Locked thread