Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Ugato posted:

I am in this same boat. I don't know if there's just something about him that doesn't click, but he is just insanely hard for me. I had a double trouble Dingle boss room. It was mid way though a really nice cursed run. I had a full 8 hearts and a full yum heart and mediocre damage. I didn't survive more than what seemed like 30 seconds.

E: note, I am one of the 70% who hasn't unlocked It Lives. I never even killedsaw mom's first form until I played Rebirth. I'm very bad at this game. Though I did eventually beat the Cursed challenge that night!

Dingle took me a while to figure out but the trick I find is to stop shooting at him when he's charging unless you have some comically overpowered attack at that point. You can also use bombs to throw him off, if you wait until the third charge and stick a bomb in his path he'll get stuck on it, giving you a reliable bomb hit on him.

Double Trouble Dingle is a pain in the rear end though since it's really hard to keep both on screen and the charge tell has no sound. So next thing you know the Dingle you weren't looking at is suddenly flying at you out of nowhere.

Could be worse though. Could be Double Trouble Mask of Infamy. Is there a DT version of MOI? I have no idea, but now you're thinking about it and how horrible it would be! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I've been playing this on the ps4 and I've been kicking this game's rear end way harder than I ever did on the flash version, I'm wondering if it's the full analog control support. Anyone else having a similar experience going from kb to analog gamepad? I think I beat mom 10 times before my first death (to mega maw cause I didn't understand his fire movement right away).

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I should point out tho I'm a super min-maxer in this game and explore every floor, try to find all the secret rooms and stretch out all my resources as far as they'll go (arcade machines sometimes but mostly beggars).

That said, I've never seen the boss rush room in 30+ runs haha :shobon:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dewgy posted:

Dingle has one gimmick and one gimmick alone: When he starts to move, stop shooting at him. His trajectory is really insane when you shoot him, like Gurdy Jr. only worse. Otherwise he's harmless.

I don't really have that issue with him - just those goddamn gurglings. They love to bounce of my tears and fly into me when I try to dodge.

With Dingle you just need to watch his tells. I think he puffs ups his cheeks before he charges- and he charges 3 times in a row every time, just move perpendicular to him with each charge and he shouldn't hit you.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I agree with what No Wave said about secret rooms and ipecac. Used to be I'd be upset to see X-ray specs, but now those or the "I can see forever" pill are a great find. And where in original I usually killed myself with ipecac I can almost always pull a win with it now (especially finding secrets with it)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Oxyclean posted:

I don't really have that issue with him - just those goddamn gurglings. They love to bounce of my tears and fly into me when I try to dodge.

With Dingle you just need to watch his tells. I think he puffs ups his cheeks before he charges- and he charges 3 times in a row every time, just move perpendicular to him with each charge and he shouldn't hit you.

yeah, dingle telegraphs all 3 of its attacks

cheeks puffed: about to charge 3 times
whistle: summons, then shoots
grin/smile/whatever: shoots

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Oxyclean posted:

He hits me a lot ricocheting off the walls after he does his charge, it always seems to have more distance to it than you expect.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I hate Haunt's little ghosts, and the smaller half of Gemini/Steven. They bounce off of your shots and come back at you from a different angle, it's different than how every other enemy reacts when you shoot them.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Waffle! posted:

I hate Haunt's little ghosts, and the smaller half of Gemini/Steven. They bounce off of your shots and come back at you from a different angle, it's different than how every other enemy reacts when you shoot them.

Gurgling, Gurdy Jr. and Dingle also do that when they're charging.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Gurgling, Gurdy Jr. and Dingle also do that when they're charging.

Gurglings aren't too bad though, since they always start off straight horizontal or vertical, like Chub.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

yeah, dingle telegraphs all 3 of its attacks

cheeks puffed: about to charge 3 times
whistle: summons, then shoots
grin/smile/whatever: shoots

I had trouble with him too for a while, I simplify this is my head a little by grouping the summon and the shots together since you end up having to do the same thing to dodge them and use 'eyes closed' to signal the charge for myself.

I just stand on the side at a distance at get in-between two of the shots, and just like everyone else said stop shooting on the dash.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Dewgy posted:

Dingle has one gimmick and one gimmick alone: When he starts to move, stop shooting at him. His trajectory is really insane when you shoot him, like Gurdy Jr. only worse. Otherwise he's harmless.

He's got some easy tells, once you learn them and get good at dodging his charge attacks, he's a piece of cake. If he's smiling, he's gonna spit at you, if he's whistling he summons adds, and if he gets angry he charges three times. Make sure you dodge to somewhere spacious so he doesn't box you in. He always goes straight to your current position, so try to sidestep as far as you can and he should miss you by a wide margin every time. It takes a bit of planning ahead but once it clicks it's perfectly doable. E: might have gotten one or two of the less important tells wrong but you get the idea.

If there are poops on the ground you can hide behind them and laugh in his face the entire fight. Even better if you encounter him or the mini dingle splitting mobs randomly in a room with spikes, they will wreck his poo poo (:haw:) pretty much instantly.

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 4, 2014

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Or just hide behind some poop, he bounces off that.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Apparently picking up Ipecac when you have Dr Fetus gives you immunity to your own bomb shots.

That was a fun run. Spiders/flies helped a lot, everything they touched just exploded as well.

Homing Tammy's Head:

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
What infinite roll combos are there? I'm trying to get Lv 4 Meat/Bandage but I've been having trouble getting the Wafer + Sharp Plug with Isaac.

The combos that I know work are like:
Wafer + Plug + Scapular
Plug + Pyromaniac + Bombs or Kamikaze if you have access to it on the same floor

Just trying to find options that work since getting Wafer + Plug + Scapular has been pretty hard to pull off to date.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Kenishi posted:

What infinite roll combos are there? I'm trying to get Lv 4 Meat/Bandage but I've been having trouble getting the Wafer + Sharp Plug with Isaac.

Wafer + Plug + Scapular
Plug + Pyromaniac + Bombs or Kamikaze if you have access to it on the same floor

Just trying to find options that work since getting Wafer + Plug + Scapular has been pretty hard to pull off to date.

Placenta'll do it, but it takes a long time.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I have to ask again, does anyone know a way to restore saves via steam cloud? I'm still holding hope that they're not gone forever. Or did I screw myself when I opened the game to see that the saves were missing and closed it allowing steam cloud to synch with my now blank save slots?

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Ugato posted:

I am in this same boat. I don't know if there's just something about him that doesn't click, but he is just insanely hard for me. I had a double trouble Dingle boss room. It was mid way though a really nice cursed run. I had a full 8 hearts and a full yum heart and mediocre damage. I didn't survive more than what seemed like 30 seconds.

E: note, I am one of the 70% who hasn't unlocked It Lives. I never even killedsaw mom's first form until I played Rebirth. I'm very bad at this game. Though I did eventually beat the Cursed challenge that night!

To be fair, I didn't ever unlock It Lives in the original either and I had 70 hours in it. How? I have no clue.

I kinda realized that after I complained about it earlier. :shrug:

Sibilant Crisp fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 4, 2014

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Mons Hubris posted:

He hits me a lot ricocheting off the walls after he does his charge, it always seems to have more distance to it than you expect.

The trick to dodging that is to move towards the direction he came from when he charges. This diagram is bad but try to position him like this, and you'll see in the top picture there's no way for him to ricochet to that area of the room. If you move like in the second picture he'll either bounce into you, or you'll be too close to dodge his next charge if you don't have high movement speed.

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies
So those solid unbreakable blocks straight out of the Legend of Zelda. Has anyone tried pushing them around? Because the occasional secret pushable block would be super appropriate. Make it so it would work only after you clear out the room.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sanctum posted:

I have to ask again, does anyone know a way to restore saves via steam cloud? I'm still holding hope that they're not gone forever. Or did I screw myself when I opened the game to see that the saves were missing and closed it allowing steam cloud to synch with my now blank save slots?

It should always get them from the Steam Cloud so far for me. I've played on a few different systems and the second I login as me, everything is there. If you're not getting that, something has gone very wrong. That's brutal, losing your saves in a game like this.

Are you sure you didn't just accidentally disable the Steam Cloud?

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

Kenishi posted:

Wafer + Plug + Scapular

I just discovered another combo that I didn't realize would work when I took it.

Wafer + Plug + Dark Bum + Relic + Gimpy

I had a buffer of soul hearts on Necro 2 and found D20. Used item shop donation machine to start it off and dark bum keeps me healed enough. Lets see if I can get that Lv4 Meat/Bandage now.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

No Wave posted:

Thoughts on rebirth so far (having beaten chest/dark room/boss rush with all of the non-Lost characters as well as the challenges with better unlocks):

1.) Fewer items that end up being the bedrock of the whole run. There are twice as many items, but Monstro's Lung, Tech .5, and Ludovico Technique are the only new ones that change your shot/play style dramatically (other ones being Brimstone, Ipecac, Epic Fetus, Dr. Fetus, Technology, Tech 2, Mom's Knife, and maybe a few others I'm not thinking of) - it used to be rare for me to finish a run with normal tears but it happens more than half the time now
2.) I think Brimstone is even more OP than Dark Bum, but I get it less
3.) Dr. Fetus got nerfed HARD, but ipecac seems way better
4.) Devil room was toned down pretty hard, but secret rooms and especially item rooms are way stronger (getting X-ray specs floor one is a game-changer)
5.) Samson rules now, Maggy's by far the least fun character
6.) Gnawed Leaf is insanely OP for scraping out achievements (probably the most OP in the game at this point), as is placenta
7.) New cube of meat/ball of bandages format sucks
8.) Seems even more soul heart heavy than WotL
9.) I find Dingle insanely hard, harder than the Haunt - and his death animation is lame
10.) Isaac and Blue Baby seem way easier
11.) WTF cursed eye
12.) Wish soy milk didn't suck so hard.

On the whole awesome expansion.

You forgot that the Arcades have been massively rebalanced. It used to always be worth spending your coins in them if you weren't trying to run, but now, slot machines are a total crap shoot and often a waste of cash.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Blazing Ownager posted:

You forgot that the Arcades have been massively rebalanced. It used to always be worth spending your coins in them if you weren't trying to run, but now, slot machines are a total crap shoot and often a waste of cash.

I find slot machines to be much better because of the buff to orbitals, quite often i'll ignore the shell game and spend all my money in the slots if I don't have any flies.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Deacon of Delicious posted:

So those solid unbreakable blocks straight out of the Legend of Zelda. Has anyone tried pushing them around? Because the occasional secret pushable block would be super appropriate. Make it so it would work only after you clear out the room.

Thats the first thing I did when I saw them, but unfortunately in my room it had no effect (all 4 and all 4 directions!)

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Eve.png

I would really like an eve game where I actually get some spirit hearts :(

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

That was close. :suspense:
Bought the bible maybe 30 seconds before the time without even knowing where the boss is.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

beep by grandpa posted:

I've been playing this on the ps4 and I've been kicking this game's rear end way harder than I ever did on the flash version, I'm wondering if it's the full analog control support. Anyone else having a similar experience going from kb to analog gamepad? I think I beat mom 10 times before my first death (to mega maw cause I didn't understand his fire movement right away).

This. I could never beat even womb 1 on kb, gamepad seems like a must in this game.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

quote:

Stop shooting dummy

Well that's my issue for sure. I didn't realize it was that much of a factor but I'll give that a try the next time around. I have no problems determining what he's going to do, I'm just chronically incapable of avoiding it. I have never had a problem with the poopling things but even the spreadshot seems to be the perfect spacing to make it hard to dodge around and between. Thanks for the tips though.

E: VVVV and I will attest to this as well. I wasn't able to get to mom's level the first time around in the original version or in wrath of the lamb. Finally just moved on to other things after about 20 total hours. I've beaten mom twice now and spent under 10 in rebirth. Still using a keyboard.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 4, 2014

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
The game is easier than WoL, in my opinion. Not a gamepad thing.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Digging up a dead horse to beat it some more, but I recently had the issue of picking up the wrong drop from Mom. It seems some of the time there isn't a delay between her dying and the rewards appearing. I don't know how to replicate it but it happened when RIGHT as she died the Polaroid popped underneath me as I was moving across the room to avoid a tear or something. It seems like it isn't intended given how it isn't the same every time, so I hope it is fixed at some point.

Locke Dunnegan fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 4, 2014

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Digging up a dead horse to be at it some more, but I recently had the issue of picking up the wrong drop from Mom. It seems some of the time there isn't a delay between her dying and the rewards appearing. I don't know how to replicate it but it happened when RIGHT as she died the Polaroid popped underneath me as I was moving across the room to avoid a tear or something. It seems like it isn't intended given how it isn't the same every time, so I hope it is fixed at some point.

Yeah I brought this up earlier in the thread and somebody argued with me that there's this huge delay between when she dies and when the items drop. That's not always the case.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Ilustforponydeath posted:

This. I could never beat even womb 1 on kb, gamepad seems like a must in this game.

I'm too used to the keyboard, but I'm learning to play with a gamepad. It always takes me a second to remember which shoulder button drops bombs and which uses the consumable.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

SuicideSnowman posted:

Yeah I brought this up earlier in the thread and somebody argued with me that there's this huge delay between when she dies and when the items drop. That's not always the case.

it just happened to me the last time i played, as well

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

IMJack posted:

I'm too used to the keyboard, but I'm learning to play with a gamepad. It always takes me a second to remember which shoulder button drops bombs and which uses the consumable.

This was a really dumb decision from them and I immediately changed bombs to shift.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Blazing Ownager posted:

It should always get them from the Steam Cloud so far for me. I've played on a few different systems and the second I login as me, everything is there. If you're not getting that, something has gone very wrong. That's brutal, losing your saves in a game like this.

Are you sure you didn't just accidentally disable the Steam Cloud?
Apparently steam cloud is the culprit for the lost saves, but I can at least get all my unlocked items back by hitting alt-F2 on the stats page. Still empties the donation box, eden tokens, and found items page. The real downer is I'll have to re-do my 2nd save where I avoided unlocking the crappy challenge items, lazarus unlocks, etc. Not looking forward to finishing solar system challenge a 3rd time.

I might experiment with using steam achievement manager and alt-F2 restore to see if I can customize what I've unlocked by undoing achievements.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

No Wave posted:

8.) Seems even more soul heart heavy than WotL

In raw drops, sure. Taking away the past-meter soul heart thing made soul hearts less game-breaking though, Book of Revelations kinda blows now.

Ilustforponydeath posted:

So I play exclusively on keyboard and

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Every game goons say you need a gamepad to play (Super Meat Boy, Dark Souls) I've beaten just fine with a keyboard. This game plays fine with a keyboard as well.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Controller versus keyboard is just a preference thing in this game. It's not like Dark Souls where keyboard and mouse is just objectively worse compared to a controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I play it with both, 360 controller on my desktop and KB when I'm bored at class playing on my laptop, both are obviously 100% viable but it's just the sort of game that's more fun playing leaning backwards with a controller.