Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
It's a SYMBOL of Jax's PAIN drat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Thanks Ghostpilot once again for the excellent sum up of the episode.
I "watched" this one, and by watched I mean skipped 90% of it and went through only the Unser, Jax, Jemma and Chiklis scenes.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Thanks! :)

I have to confess, I didn't recognize Chiklis until the sitdown with Gemma, then my reaction was "Michael Chiklis!" :neckbeard:. Before the realization set in that his role was essentially a throwaway for Sutter to be able to say that he got virtually everybody in the main cast of the Shield on his show. Despite that, his scene with Katey Segal was a nice moment in the episode. That said, someone at FX really needed to tell Kurt to tighten up the editing. Across the season an episode's worth of material (or more) could've been left on the cutting room floor without any effect on the plot whatsoever.

I did gloss over the gunrunning plots because, ugh. As soon as they mention trafficking, my eyes glaze over; it's far too late in the game to try to make any sense of it. Besides, anything having to do with that became meaningless after Clay died.

Anyway, given that I do the recaps the day after the show airs, I'm not sure if people will be so interested in the one for the finale. I figure even the folks who just follow the recaps will likely end up stomaching the last episode live and then leave the show and the thread in the rear view. But hey, maybe I'm wrong!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

All the Irish care about is keeping Ireland whole.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ghostpilot posted:

Anyway, given that I do the recaps the day after the show airs, I'm not sure if people will be so interested in the one for the finale. I figure even the folks who just follow the recaps will likely end up stomaching the last episode live and then leave the show and the thread in the rear view. But hey, maybe I'm wrong!

I'm assuming jax gets put down by soacorp in the finale, your recap would end everything for posterity.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

What's spread on the finale run-time?

Series ends with the mayhem vote being passed. Robert Patrick is about to execute Jax but Abel comes crashing through the wall. "Come with me if you want to live". They escape on Abel's new bike and T-1000 steals Vic Mackey's truck to go after them.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Junkenstein posted:

What's spread on the finale run-time?

Series ends with the mayhem vote being passed. Robert Patrick is about to execute Jax but Abel comes crashing through the wall. "Come with me if you want to live". They escape on Abel's new bike and T-1000 steals Vic Mackey's truck to go after them.

I bet the finale is two hours, but could easily be condensed into 50 minutes if you take out the scenes where literally nothing is happening except standing around dramatically.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

I now desperately want to be this to be the actual ending.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Actually, the series already ended. The finale will be a montage of the lives of all characters that appeared in the series, while Katey Segal sings "Don't Fear the Reaper" for two hours.

Fade to reaper.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Jeoh posted:

Actually, the series already ended. The finale will be a montage of the lives of all characters that appeared in the series, while Katey Segal sings "Don't Fear the Reaper" for two hours.

Fade to reaper.

One montage to rule them all, one montage to kill them,
One montage to sing them all and with poo poo music bind them.

In the land of Charming where the morons lie.

awptimus3kz
Oct 3, 2013
Ghostpilot, I will read your finale review 4 times.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Ghostpilot posted:

I also promise to read your summary of the finale. I've watched every episode this season basically just so I could blow 10 minutes at work the next day reading your summaries. You gotta finish this thing out.

Anyway, its obvious that Sutter thinks we care about Jax and what happens to him because he left the entire finale to deal with it. My ideal finale would be about 2 minutes of the club debating how to vote, followed by maybe another 2-3 minute Jax execution scene, then just loving roll the credits and be done with it. Its been said before but this season really had about 5 regular length episodes-worth of content in it.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Something about that final Gemma scene (other than the obvious, and the various things already pointed out) really didn't work for me. It just seemed like they gave her about 10 too many lines-with-pause-at-end to say for the scene to work.

"gotta do it babe"...."yep, the life we lead son"..."do this"..."yolo"...."its the life"...."crow flies straight"....etc etc

About 5 pithy sayings in, I was hoping that this was the effect Sutter was going for and they were gonna have Jax give a huge eye-roll and take her out mid-sentence but I guess it was supposed to be building tension or something idk

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Kekekela posted:

Something about that final Gemma scene (other than the obvious, and the various things already pointed out) really didn't work for me. It just seemed like they gave her about 10 too many lines-with-pause-at-end to say for the scene to work.

"gotta do it babe"...."yep, the life we lead son"..."do this"..."yolo"...."its the life"...."crow flies straight"....etc etc

About 5 pithy sayings in, I was hoping that this was the effect Sutter was going for and they were gonna have Jax give a huge eye-roll and take her out mid-sentence but I guess it was supposed to be building tension or something idk

This show....I was actually waiting for someone to swoop in and save her. Like maybe Unser wasn't really dead or something.

I watched this a day late, and all day on Wednesday I kept hearing about "the shocking twist" all over Facebook. I wasn't shocked by any of this - and it doesn't seem like anyone else was either. I kept waiting for something else to happen right up until the credits. :confused:

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
There hasn't been an actual twist in any of this horse poo poo except for season 1 and maybe when Opie died.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Grin and Tonic posted:

There hasn't been an actual twist in any of this horse poo poo except for season 1 and maybe when Opie died.

One twist that was actually really good was when you think Stahl is getting away with the Irish guy but then Unser sets them up to be executed by the club. I didn't see that coming at the time. Of course now I'm expecting some sort of ambush attack in every single scene so something like that wouldn't have much of an impact anymore.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Is he actually going to do anything with homeless ghost lady? Anyone brave enough to go find all her appearances and see if there's any correlation whatsoever with her and a looming death? There's so many people getting done on this show, it seems like she'd be popping up in every other scene.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

One twist that was actually really good was when you think Stahl is getting away with the Irish guy but then Unser sets them up to be executed by the club. I didn't see that coming at the time. Of course now I'm expecting some sort of ambush attack in every single scene so something like that wouldn't have much of an impact anymore.

This was pretty much the last good thing the show did.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I felt awful for Juice. I loved Juice, that lovable fuckup. He reminded me of Bodie. I know, I know, to compare anyone on SOA to anyone on The Wire seems heretical...but man. Juice. :(

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

mcbexx posted:

What was that crap about Jax limping when he got up after the meeting in the mayan garage?
He was limping quite visibly in later scenes as well. That was definetly not his usual bro walk.
Will he suffer from a thrombosis induced stroke before ending up in a semis front grill?

More like thrombrosis stroke.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JohnSherman posted:

This was honestly the weirdest loving thing. I can understand that Hunnam probably injured himself doing some stunt, but you might as well just hope your audience doesn't notice if your clever rewrite consists of "What happen Jacky?" - "I don't know."

I hate to bring up any evidence of foreshadowing, but the foot that hurts in this scene is the same foot that had Unsers blood all over it at the end of the episode. Probably unintentional though.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

More like thrombrosis stroke.

:rimshot:

Really though the way they mentioned it was so awkward AND they didn't show him riding on his bike other than the end when he was going home after his murder spree at his grandfather's house. I bet Charlie Hunnam actually injured himself and they just re-filmed the opening to acknowledge it.

Also, when he was banging his junkie ex-wife that he once tried to murder, his feet were covered up in bed.

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/Wnxq1y4.gif :nws:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/12/03/sons-of-anarchy-juice-dies-red-rose/

Spoiler! Theo Rossi calls Sutter 'genius'.

:wtc:

Does he even watch his own show? :negative:

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Stockholm Syndrome.

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011
This show is really good and this thread is fulled of fucktards

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Did Jax ever find out that Gemma played a pretty major role in JT's death? When the "secret letters" were still a thing, Gemma pretty much copped and said Clay was the driving force and she had nothing to do with it. I want to say she admitted to Nero she was pretty heavily involved, but Jax still had no knowledge right? Not that it matters much now. Just another ugly plot thread.

mewse
May 2, 2006

hatelull posted:

Did Jax ever find out that Gemma played a pretty major role in JT's death? When the "secret letters" were still a thing, Gemma pretty much copped and said Clay was the driving force and she had nothing to do with it. I want to say she admitted to Nero she was pretty heavily involved, but Jax still had no knowledge right? Not that it matters much now. Just another ugly plot thread.

Jax asked about da lettuhs before blasting a hole in Gemma's noggin so maybe it'll come up in the last ep

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Squelch Hardon posted:

It's so good that it's been nominated for ___ Emmys!

Oh I get it, it must be those elitist Hollywood types keeping Kurt down. drat them!

EDIT: Holy poo poo, I guess I was wrong! The theme song of all things was nominated for one back in 2009 but lost.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

mewse posted:

Jax asked about da lettuhs before blasting a hole in Gemma's noggin so maybe it'll come up in the last ep

I thought he asked about JT's manuscript and not the letters. I seem to remember the letters being burned, but maybe they were photocopied first?

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Squelch Hardon posted:

The AV Club is even worse (better?) then this thread. Even the reviewers seem to be hate watching.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
There were several points in the show where I unironically thought it was getting good. But holy poo poo, so much of it is irredeemable trash.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's more than one season of the show that I considered very good at the time. Now though I have no desire to watch them again because I know where its all going.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Basebf555 posted:

There's more than one season of the show that I considered very good at the time. Now though I have no desire to watch them again because I know where its all going.

the LOST effect

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

For real. I couldn't in good consciousness tell anyone they might like it, either, cause holy poo poojesus christ, no one deserves this.

mewse
May 2, 2006

hatelull posted:

I thought he asked about JT's manuscript and not the letters. I seem to remember the letters being burned, but maybe they were photocopied first?

The manuscript and the letters are different?? I never watched the first 2 seasons so I missed a lot of john teller stuff.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/12/03/sons-of-anarchy-juice-dies-red-rose/

:wtc:

Eh, Rossi is a poo poo actor but I can understand him being grateful to a dude who helped his career immensely

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

mewse posted:

The manuscript and the letters are different?? I never watched the first 2 seasons so I missed a lot of john teller stuff.

yeah, they were two different macguffins that both had equally no effect on anything.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pron on VHS posted:

Eh, Rossi is a poo poo actor but I can understand him being grateful to a dude who helped his career immensely

Guys like Rossi who would normally never make it in acting can have a career by attaching themselves to people like Sutter. Sutter has established himself as a bankable name and will be making t.v. shows for as long as he wants to keep doing it. Rossi could end up being one of "his guys" that pops up in everything he does, so yea I don't blame him for publicly kissing his rear end.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Basebf555 posted:

Guys like Rossi who would normally never make it in acting can have a career by attaching themselves to people like Sutter. Sutter has established himself as a bankable name and will be making t.v. shows for as long as he wants to keep doing it. Rossi could end up being one of "his guys" that pops up in everything he does, so yea I don't blame him for publicly kissing his rear end.

Yeah, even when he is discussing his character's death and the multiple ideas floated around he says "Some were satisfying. Some were different than I expected." ie. some were dumb as gently caress but I cant risk critiquing Sutter. I'd probably kiss his rear end too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Kelly posted:

The AV Club is even worse (better?) then this thread. Even the reviewers seem to be hate watching.

I was trying to post that Unser auction spoiler on that site and I think their comment system somehow detected what it was and blocked it lol. Also I just remembered that I missed the first 35 minutes of the last episode and since GhostPilot already posted his review I can't even be bothered to go back and actually watch the part I missed.

• Locked thread