Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

The Leck posted:

I've been thinking about getting a looper to mess around with and improve practice/make noisy messes. Am I right in my understanding that the Ditto X2 kind of the standard choice these days?

I have one and like it. I had a boss rc-20 before this one and didn't use all the stuff it had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008

havelock posted:

I have one and like it. I had a boss rc-20 before this one and didn't use all the stuff it had.

If you (The Leck) are interested in a more robust looper ("all the stuff"), I've got a Jamman Stereo that I'd like to sell for about the price of a new Ditto x2. $170 shipped?

It's quite simple to use in the same manner as the Ditto, it just has a lot more stuff you can do.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I've been considering upgrading from the small Ditto to the X2. I don't really need to but I use the thing so much I wouldn't mind having the mini as a backup/hooked up in my bass amp loop. I really like the thing.

To be completely honest TC Electronics is my #1 effects maker right now. They don't make crazy weird boutique pedals for niche players but every one of their pedals covers a lot of ground and I've yet to encounter anything overly "digital" sounding. The thumbscrews own too.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Kilometers Davis posted:

To be completely honest TC Electronics is my #1 effects maker right now. They don't make crazy weird boutique pedals for niche players but every one of their pedals covers a lot of ground and I've yet to encounter anything overly "digital" sounding. The thumbscrews own too.
same, I have a Ditto X2 and a Hall of Fame reverb and I want the Flashback Triple Delay soooo bad

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Professor Science posted:

same, I have a Ditto X2 and a Hall of Fame reverb and I want the Flashback Triple Delay soooo bad

I might go for that delay too, it's such a nice package. The sound of my MF delay slays but I can't find any position in my loop where it doesn't pop when I engage it. It's unpleasant having that pop echo right off the bat. TC stuff has been dead quiet all around for me.

Sven
Oct 4, 2005
So my Blackstar delay ate poo poo today, i think the tube inside it blew up or something because its strobing and making popping noises. So im thinking of grabbing a used Boss DD-20 if i can (the price of new gear in this country is loving atrocious). Any one know of any issues with these things? It ticks all the boxes control wise, seems pretty solidly built and i really like the sound of the modulate setting, but i've never actually used one and i think i'd be hard pressed to find one in a shop near where i live to try it out.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Funny the TC stuff popped up, I'm thinking Really Hard about getting their 1x12 Bass amp, it comes with a free Ditto if you buy it during the holiday season.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Caroline Pedals (Local dudes) and EQD are my go to pedal makers. Right now I have a delay from both the Kilobyte and Dispatch Master respectively. Love them both, and that was after going through about 4-5 other delays before landing on these.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Sven posted:

thinking of grabbing a used Boss DD-20

No problems with mine. They're pretty solid.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
So, overdrives. Holy crap there's a lot of overdrives. And none of them seem to be what I want.

I really don't know how to describe the sound I'm looking for, but it is way, way more subtle than what I see out of anything I've found samples of on youtube so far. I'm looking for a very smooth, breathy, slow-onset kind of drive, that really only harshens on the hardest of pick attacks. I guess that means headroom in guitar-pedal-speak? It's low, low gain, that's for sure.

I dunno, the best sound example I can give is Duane Allman's softer, more expressive stuff from the Fillmore East album. My presumption is that what I'm looking for is basically power tube saturation, but I would need someone far more versed in effects to say for sure.

Anyway, things I've noticed so far:

TS circuits are not the answer I'm looking for. I find them way, way too harsh.

Maybe what I'm looking for is a booster and not an OD? I've kinda dug some stuff I've seen/heard on the TC Spark and the Xotic EP.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Alleric posted:

So, overdrives. Holy crap there's a lot of overdrives. And none of them seem to be what I want.

I really don't know how to describe the sound I'm looking for, but it is way, way more subtle than what I see out of anything I've found samples of on youtube so far. I'm looking for a very smooth, breathy, slow-onset kind of drive, that really only harshens on the hardest of pick attacks. I guess that means headroom in guitar-pedal-speak? It's low, low gain, that's for sure.

I dunno, the best sound example I can give is Duane Allman's softer, more expressive stuff from the Fillmore East album. My presumption is that what I'm looking for is basically power tube saturation, but I would need someone far more versed in effects to say for sure.

Maybe what I'm looking for is a booster and not an OD? I've kinda dug some stuff I've seen/heard on the TC Spark and the Xotic EP.

You might like the T Rex Moller overdrive. While I believe it is more or less based on a tube screamer, I generally dislike tube screamers and love this thing. The key feature is the mix knob, so you can blend clean and overdriven signal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTgdtekVnyY 2:00 demonstrates the mix knob, and 3:30 shows it and the gain at about noon, which is where I always ran mine.

Alternately, either a treble booster or a germanium fuzz will do subtle distortion if you have passive pickups and don't have the volume all the way up. I use an Analogman Sun Lion for that. The Moog MF drive might be worth looking into as well.

But for subtle distortion that just puts an edge on the signal and sounds practically clean, a Moller with gain and drive at noon or less is what I'd try. I used mine in an electric folk rock band for anything that didn't need to be pristinely clean.

edit: There's a boost on the Moller as well, available independently from the overdrive. Forgot to mention it because I never use it.

Gorgar fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 25, 2014

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Alleric posted:

I was kind of the same way, I ended up using my Caroline Pedals Icarus for a clean boost for my current band instead of my Haymaker. Haymaker is good for high gain but the Icarus just has a more pleasant clean sound that is retained when I push the gain.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Smash it Smash hit posted:

I was kind of the same way, I ended up using my Caroline Pedals Icarus for a clean boost for my current band instead of my Haymaker. Haymaker is good for high gain but the Icarus just has a more pleasant clean sound that is retained when I push the gain.

i'm fairly new to the whole multiple pedal thing (i played for like ten years without any pedals, then had just a DS-1 for a year or two, and then in the past month or so i bought 5 more pedals), but lately i've been using my OCD on low gain for a slightly boosted clean channel and then running it into my DS-1 for high gain distortion and that's pretty fun. i've also got one of those Joyo Vintage Overdrive pedals on the way so i might swap that in for my DS-1 or switch the two overdrive pedals around

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i'm fairly new to the whole multiple pedal thing (i played for like ten years without any pedals, then had just a DS-1 for a year or two, and then in the past month or so i bought 5 more pedals), but lately i've been using my OCD on low gain for a slightly boosted clean channel and then running it into my DS-1 for high gain distortion and that's pretty fun. i've also got one of those Joyo Vintage Overdrive pedals on the way so i might swap that in for my DS-1 or switch the two overdrive pedals around

stacking overdrives can be a headache but can be totally worth it

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Alleric posted:

Soul Food? Lots of people like Klones because of how they sound with the gain dialed way down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLa8FkZyzlI

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

Gorgar posted:

You might like the T Rex Moller overdrive. While I believe it is more or less based on a tube screamer, I generally dislike tube screamers and love this thing. The key feature is the mix knob, so you can blend clean and overdriven signal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTgdtekVnyY 2:00 demonstrates the mix knob, and 3:30 shows it and the gain at about noon, which is where I always ran mine.

Alternately, either a treble booster or a germanium fuzz will do subtle distortion if you have passive pickups and don't have the volume all the way up. I use an Analogman Sun Lion for that. The Moog MF drive might be worth looking into as well.

But for subtle distortion that just puts an edge on the signal and sounds practically clean, a Moller with gain and drive at noon or less is what I'd try. I used mine in an electric folk rock band for anything that didn't need to be pristinely clean.

edit: There's a boost on the Moller as well, available independently from the overdrive. Forgot to mention it because I never use it.

The Moller still seems a little fizzy to me. :(

Actually, at initial listening I'm digging the Haymaker. I'm going to give that a more serious look.

massive spider posted:

Soul Food? Lots of people like Klones because of how they sound with the gain dialed way down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLa8FkZyzlI

You know, I looked at Soul Food months ago and didn't like it all. I'm trying more and more in my review of the sample material to really pay attention to the shape of the clipping and how it handles harmonic interference. With that in mind, returning to some samples of the Soul Food, it's kind of nice.

Thanks for the recommendations, all. The search continues.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Alleric posted:

The Moller still seems a little fizzy to me. :(

Actually, at initial listening I'm digging the Haymaker. I'm going to give that a more serious look

definitely should dude! the people behind the company are awesome as well. the a is kinda a tube screamer, b is awesome it really pushes your amp up in the mix and c is kinda a more fuzzy overdrive.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

definitely should dude! the people behind the company are awesome as well. the a is kinda a tube screamer, b is awesome it really pushes your amp up in the mix and c is kinda a more fuzzy overdrive.

A has been described by various people as an "808" type of overdrive, mid boost, etc... but Caroline says it's their own circuit. Either way, I like it a bit more than a standard "808" sound. B is what has me kind of intrigued for normal usage: clean(ish) boost, especially if you hand it 18v... and then treat the rest of it like a preamp, skirt around with a bit of dirt on it and use the volume knob to put yourself as deep in the grit as you want to be. C is another animal to my ears, but obviously could be useful to get those darker, more full, hairier kinds of crunchies.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Since it seems like you're looking for a boost with a slight drive to it I have the Saturn V from these guys and it might be up your alley. They're a bit pricy, but I think they're worth it since they sound amazing and are actually really well but together if you can locate one for retail because gently caress paying scalpers on reverb.

They just did a limited reissue of the Saturn V (boost) and the Aphelion (OD)

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Alleric posted:

Maybe what I'm looking for is a booster and not an OD?

Yep.

Sounds like you're looking for something akin to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bVPmhhd9kI

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Alleric posted:

A has been described by various people as an "808" type of overdrive, mid boost, etc... but Caroline says it's their own circuit. Either way, I like it a bit more than a standard "808" sound. B is what has me kind of intrigued for normal usage: clean(ish) boost, especially if you hand it 18v... and then treat the rest of it like a preamp, skirt around with a bit of dirt on it and use the volume knob to put yourself as deep in the grit as you want to be. C is another animal to my ears, but obviously could be useful to get those darker, more full, hairier kinds of crunchies.

yeah it's a very versatile pedal. I usually use it on either A and stack it with my Icarus or put it on the B setting and crank the gain up.

the B setting is really what sold it for me, if you have a little under powered amp, that setting seems to give a little more push on the amp and makes it seem a lot louder.

it's not the 808 circuit but it's comparable, I think it has different character for sure but it's similar and really I don't like 808 clones at all so that should say something

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
dblpst

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
Figured this is more of an effects chain question than an amp question.

So a while back I was thinking about getting a podhd500x. I played a friends and wasn't too impressed (I'm sure it could be great, but I just took a new job so I don't have the kind of time I thought I would to twittle through the software.)

I wanted versatility but I am still a set it and forget it kind of guy. I want a couple of dialed in tones but with a relatively simple rig. I'm thinking of getting a tube preamp pedal to run through my JC120 for when I want a little tube goodness.

I love my JC120 to death but it can be a one trick pony (a trick that I use in like 60% of my playing mind you.) I was thinking of getting some kind of tube preamp pedal to run through the effect loop. Been looking at the AMT ss-11 and the Kingsley Jester. The Jester had better sounds in demos but they were all run through other great tube amps. No idea if it would serve as an alternate sound to my JC or if it is just there to compliment another amp.

The amt seems to be capable on its own without an amp, and it has some seemingly good tweaking capabilities so I'm sure I can dial in a good 3 gain stages through my JC. Looking for ay advice/ experience on these if anyone has any. The Blackstar ht dual looks nice too.

I'm not looking for crazy gain, just a very nice mellow/warm tone that is very responsive and very different from my JC. The option for gain stages is a huge plus because I do require some dirt every now and then. Nothing high gain territory though. (Hell if I wanted this I would just run addtional boosts/dist/fuzz before the tube preamp.)

My main questions though:

I'd like to have this tube preamp selectable so I could still use my JC cleans easily. I am not sure how my chain/setup would be. I think I'd be running my guitar through the Tube Preamp and through my effects send. Not plugged into the front of the amp. If this is the case, I feel a simple A/B box should work but it just kind of worries me. I feel like something could blow. What about any ABY? what would happen if I was running through both sides!? Its these kind of easily made mistakes that could damage my gear that have got me worried. This would be a sick rig though because I could leave my JC EQ set up for cleans and then bypass it by going straight to the tube pre and JC power amp.

TL;DR

Want to run tube preamp through my JC120 effects send. I want the easiest way to be able to use both the tube preamp on its own, and my jc 120 preamp on its own without blowing out my gear. I am having trouble wrapping my head around where my guitar will plug into a setup like this.

philkop fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 29, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Not a tube pedal, but several of the Amptweaker pedals, which are designed to be run straight to a power amp, have a feature where you can run a separate bypass loop that switches on when the pedal itself is switched off, which will do exactly what you're talking about. Actually if you order one directly from the dude who makes them, it's like $30 or so to have him add the loop to any pedal that doesn't have one already.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

comes along bort posted:

Not a tube pedal, but several of the Amptweaker pedals, which are designed to be run straight to a power amp, have a feature where you can run a separate bypass loop that switches on when the pedal itself is switched off, which will do exactly what you're talking about. Actually if you order one directly from the dude who makes them, it's like $30 or so to have him add the loop to any pedal that doesn't have one already.

Cool feature. You gotta love the little companies who will throw just about any loop or stomp switch you want on a pedal for a relatively small amount of dough.

Let me ask a more general question.

If I were to plug my guitar into a pedal, and the output of the pedal into my amps "return." I would be bypassing the preamp correct?

Does this also mean that my amps volume control won't work? Would the master pedal volume take over?

What would be the difference between running my guitar just through a pedal into only the effects return vs running the pedal through the send and return of the effects loop and having my guitar in the front of the amp?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Yeah running the pedal straight into the effects return bypasses the preamp, so the pedal volume acts as the amp volume.

philkop posted:

What would be the difference between running my guitar just through a pedal into only the effects return vs running the pedal through the send and return of the effects loop and having my guitar in the front of the amp?

Running a pedal through the effects loop and your guitar through the front input like normal means the signal goes through the preamp first, then whatever's in the loop, then to the power amp. In the case of overdrive/distortion it means the signal will have whatever gain you've got dialed in on the amp, plus any eq and effects before it hits the pedal. In some cases it can sound good, other times not so much. Pretty much the same thing as switching the order of pedals; for instance some people prefer wah before distortion, others like it the other way around. It's really a case-by-case thing you just have to play around with to find out what you like best.

In the case of running say a distortion pedal straight to a power amp, power amps tend to sound neutral or flat on their own (plug your guitar straight into the effects return and you'll see what I mean), so you get what's considered more of the pedal's sound doing it that way.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

comes along bort posted:

Yeah running the pedal straight into the effects return bypasses the preamp, so the pedal volume acts as the amp volume.

Running a pedal through the effects loop and your guitar through the front input like normal means the signal goes through the preamp first, then whatever's in the loop, then to the power amp. In the case of overdrive/distortion it means the signal will have whatever gain you've got dialed in on the amp, plus any eq and effects before it hits the pedal. In some cases it can sound good, other times not so much. Pretty much the same thing as switching the order of pedals; for instance some people prefer wah before distortion, others like it the other way around. It's really a case-by-case thing you just have to play around with to find out what you like best.

In the case of running say a distortion pedal straight to a power amp, power amps tend to sound neutral or flat on their own (plug your guitar straight into the effects return and you'll see what I mean), so you get what's considered more of the pedal's sound doing it that way.

Makes sense. I understood effects loops with things like delays and tremolo, but with distortion it really confused me. I get it now thank. Thanks dude.

So long as whatever tube preamp or dist pedal is made to run in front of an amp (output ohms and whatnot) I should be able to also run them through the back.

Then its just a matter of where I place my guitar in the signal path. An ab box should have no problem switching my guitar from the front of the amp to the back through a tube preamp (that I'd have to couple with a bypass switch or something.)

This simple setup is turning complicated already >>, as flat as my JC is I might have ok results just running it up front. Hell I could use both channels and just keep one channel dedicated to the tube preamp and switch via my volume panner pedal or an aby. (running both channels at once with the JC is no problem.)

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

In my experience, putting a gain pedal in the effects loop makes a big difference. I used to use an EHx English Muff'n in the loop of a Fender 6L6 amp to get a more Marshall-sounding voicing, without even bypassing the Fender preamp. I don't have a feel for the character of a JC's preamp, though, but I'd try just putting the tube pedal in the loop and not bypassing, compare the sound of that to the sound of bypassing, and see if the extra trouble of bypassing the preamp will even be worth it.

When I used the Seymour Duncan Twin Tube, I just put it in front of the JC and it sounded pretty good. They also make a lower gain blues-oriented pedal that might be useful.

One thing to watch for: pops and clicks from pedals in the effects loop can be pretty loud, especially if you've got the master volume up.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Gorgar posted:

In my experience, putting a gain pedal in the effects loop makes a big difference. I used to use an EHx English Muff'n in the loop of a Fender 6L6 amp to get a more Marshall-sounding voicing, without even bypassing the Fender preamp. I don't have a feel for the character of a JC's preamp, though, but I'd try just putting the tube pedal in the loop and not bypassing, compare the sound of that to the sound of bypassing, and see if the extra trouble of bypassing the preamp will even be worth it.

When I used the Seymour Duncan Twin Tube, I just put it in front of the JC and it sounded pretty good. They also make a lower gain blues-oriented pedal that might be useful.

One thing to watch for: pops and clicks from pedals in the effects loop can be pretty loud, especially if you've got the master volume up.

Yeah I'm all down for sitting and experimenting to get the best sound. I just wanted to make sure nothing I'd do would harm the amp.

Those twin tubes look cool. I see a few of the blues ones you mention for just over $100 which is sounding a lot nicer than the 3-4 hundred of everything else I'm looking at.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

The Duncan tube pedals are pretty nice. I've held onto both of mine even though I don't currently use them just because they're good pedals. I kind of want the blues one too, maybe to run into a Bassman.

This thread reminds me of an experiment I wanted to try: preamp of an Engl 6L6 amp into effects return of an EL34 amp.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Has anyone seen how often TCE T2 Reverb pedals show up on the ProGuitarShop site? I'm obsessively lusting for one of those and I missed out when they had them for $99 a few days ago.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
Flashback Triple early impressions:

- It's huge. Seriously huge. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I underestimated it.
- gently caress, this thing is complicated. I need to spend a lot of time to figure out how to make specific sounds rather than just farting around.
- gently caress, this thing sounds good. Even just screwing around can result in really interesting delays that sound very good.
- It looks good, but with any sort of overhead lights it's unreadable. I guess it's not really a problem if you set up your presets beforehand, but it's kind of a pain when setting things up.

If anyone wants samples or something, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Professor Science posted:

Flashback Triple early impressions:

- It's huge. Seriously huge. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I underestimated it.
- gently caress, this thing is complicated. I need to spend a lot of time to figure out how to make specific sounds rather than just farting around.
- gently caress, this thing sounds good. Even just screwing around can result in really interesting delays that sound very good.
- It looks good, but with any sort of overhead lights it's unreadable. I guess it's not really a problem if you set up your presets beforehand, but it's kind of a pain when setting things up.

If anyone wants samples or something, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Ugh these sound so rad. I'm really thinking of getting it to run behind my Carbon Copy. Dream loop right now = flashback triple -> carbon copy -> hall of fame -> t2.

Kinda funny how I've come around on my carbon copy. I didn't like it when I first got it but I've recently switched from my MF delay to it and I'm really digging it. It's got this weird bright yet dark sound and it took me a long time to figure it out.

e: god drat I missed a T2 Reverb that popped up on reverb.com for 150 by literally 5 minutes.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 4, 2014

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
Does this thread count for stuff like Guitar Rig/Amplitube?

Do people have a definite opinion either way between the two? Guitar Rig 5 Pro is on sale for a bill at the moment so I've considered picking it up. I've used it in the past and liked it well enough, but have never tried Amplitube and wonder if there's a quality difference big enough to warrant the price differential. Thoughts?

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

himajinga posted:

Does this thread count for stuff like Guitar Rig/Amplitube?

Do people have a definite opinion either way between the two? Guitar Rig 5 Pro is on sale for a bill at the moment so I've considered picking it up. I've used it in the past and liked it well enough, but have never tried Amplitube and wonder if there's a quality difference big enough to warrant the price differential. Thoughts?

There's a free version of Amplitube you can try, I think it's here: http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/amplitubecs/.

I think the paid version is just this plus a bunch of the models (which you can also try out for a couple days before buying), but I'm not totally sure. It works well enough--I liked it a bit more than Guitar Rig when I last tried it.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

I guess that brings me to a current question... How does Bias Desktop stack up to amplitube and guitar rig?

I might just buy it and find out. I already have Amplitube (which I prefer over Guitar Rig... but some people prefer Guitar Rig).

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck
Thinking about grabbing a Boss PN-2 from a guy on Craigslist, but I was wondering if you can get the super-choppy effect from it without using the pan feature with 2 amps. Anyone know?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
howdy yall is there a good site that goes over effect ordering and stuff because i like to read about that

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Correct pedal order: whatever sounds best to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i agree with this but also like to read about effects