Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah Bendis kind of ruined Jessica (yes I know Bendis invented the character)after she had a kid and all she did was nag Luke Cage about being a hero and worrying about her baby. She's really good in Alias though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Waterhaul posted:

It's not offical official yet but apparently Krysten Ritter is Jessica Jones.

Which until I see something crazy good from the series is a complete miscasting.

It could be worse. It could be Jessica DeGouw.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

greatn posted:

I mean, I know this isn't being fair since I don't know the character, but her only descriptions being "She's Luke Cage's wife and Matt Murdock's bodyguard, she has powers but it doesn't matter" doesn't really inspire confidence. Apart from her relationships to men, what does she do?

Jessica's entire point was that she got powers "around the same time" as Peter Parker and Matt Murdoch and she tried the superhero thing but her life was terrible because of it, her big villain interaction with Purple Man completely destroyed her and her interaction with the Avengers went one of the worst ways it could. She threw that life away and her main book Alias is her trying to rebuild her life after that, defeat depression and set up her own private eye business and overcome her past demons. It's ridiculously well done and was the first "Max" book for Marvel.

The Daredevil bodyguard is a 2-3 issue stint where Alias crosses over with the book and is more Matt using her for his own advantage and her relationship with Luke is just two damaged people finding something in each other and getting a happy ending. If you read issue one you'll see the point of the character easily.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Since the whole thing that got her to quit was Purple Man making her go after the Avengers I wonder how they are going to play that in the show.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Last episode of Flash question about Arrow:
Who was the woman in the coffee shop that had a moment with Oliver?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

zoux posted:

Since the whole thing that got her to quit was Purple Man making her go after the Avengers I wonder how they are going to play that in the show.

Purple Man could make her go after Cap or Iron Man, they wouldn't necessarily have to show it. Or something more generic like she injures a kid while under his control (he makes her rob a bank or something). Or ditch Purple Man and have her injure a kid while stopping a bank robbery.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TheDK posted:

One night stand that Ollie knocked up that Ollie's mom secretly paid to gently caress off to Central City and never contact again and no, Ollie doesn't know

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

TheDK posted:

edit: beaten

Madkal fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 4, 2014

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

zoux posted:

Just have her run into and get beaten by the first Avenger she sees, aka the least expensive one both actor and effects-wise. So Jeremy Renner, maybe?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't think Hawkeye could take Jewel on his own.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

I don't think Hawkeye could take Jewel on his own.

In Alias, Jessica isn't even sure she's bulletproof. A couple of trick arrows could mess her up. (Yes, later comics have kinda implied her powers are about the same as Luke's, except she can fly.)

zoux posted:

Yeah Bendis kind of ruined Jessica (yes I know Bendis invented the character)after she had a kid and all she did was nag Luke Cage about being a hero and worrying about her baby. She's really good in Alias though.

I liked the first arc in The Pulse, and the issue Gaydos drew about Luke and her first meeting. And the strip from the recent Marvel anniversary special was great.

Skwirl posted:

Purple Man could make her go after Cap or Iron Man, they wouldn't necessarily have to show it. Or something more generic like she injures a kid while under his control (he makes her rob a bank or something). Or ditch Purple Man and have her injure a kid while stopping a bank robbery.

While I suppose you could play it as a 'cop who made a bad call' trauma, I think that loses a lot of the power of the story. The whole character arc is her recovery after being made a victim, and moving past that. I've said before, possibly in this same thread that for all people talk about Johns and Morrison making metaphors literal and writ large, Bendis has a rapist whose superpower is literally 'having power over' his victims, and through the support of friends, family and professional support (Jean Grey as therapist/counsellor), Jessica declares he no longer DOES have that power and kicks the poo poo out of him to signify her finally healing. It ain't subtle, but it's about as good as that story's been done.

Having a teenager come up to her and say it's not her fault, it was an accident he got injured is pretty mundane in comparison

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

greatn posted:

What does Jessica Jones do anyway? Why is she getting her own series as opposed to any other female character?

Based on the casting I assume she speaks in an annoying shrill voice, overacts a lot and then gets cancelled.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Aphrodite posted:

Based on the casting I assume she speaks in an annoying shrill voice, overacts a lot and then gets cancelled.

I thought we were talking about Eliza Dushku for a second there.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Ok, cool, thanks for the explaining, I do like the sound of that detective stuff and getting her life back together. Is Alias widely available in trade or would I be better off buying from Marvel digitally?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I thought we were talking about Eliza Dushku for a second there.

I said over, not under.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Aphrodite posted:

I said over, not under.

Furrowing your brow is totally acting!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

I said over, not under.

You also had the word acts in there.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

greatn posted:

Ok, cool, thanks for the explaining, I do like the sound of that detective stuff and getting her life back together. Is Alias widely available in trade or would I be better off buying from Marvel digitally?

There's an omnibus with the complete series which either just has been or is just about to be reprinted.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

There's an omnibus with the complete series which either just has been or is just about to be reprinted.

Unfortunately this means you get the What If... issue too. Which may be the worst thing Bendis has ever written.

(That omnibus is on my shortlist of 'things I would grab if house was on fire and family was safe', despite that though.)

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Krysten Ritter was good in Breaking Bad, but she's definitely not even close to what I had in mind casting-wise. Who knows, though! I mean she got the part for a reason, Marvel has consistently been great at casting so I have little reason to doubt them here.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Once again yall have failed this subforum by not having 10 pages about the absurdly good Flash/Arrow crossover, but it was a ratings smash with Flash coming in second only to its pilot and Arrow doing its best demo numbers ever. So this is gonna be a yearly thing I'd imagine.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Agents of Shield actually was also a ratings smash, gained like 50% more than Flash.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I'll probably be the odd one out, but I enjoyed this week's AOS more than the Flash. Partly because I don't watch Arrow so the crossover aspect didn't do much for me.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

JT Smiley posted:

I'll probably be the odd one out, but I enjoyed this week's AOS more than the Flash. Partly because I don't watch Arrow so the crossover aspect didn't do much for me.

You should watch Arrow.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

greatn posted:

Agents of Shield actually was also a ratings smash, gained like 50% more than Flash.

Flash was adjusted up so they both had the same gain, .2.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The Flash/Arrow crossover was great because of how comic booky it was. What is amazing is how the crossover happened but still maintained the different tones for both shows without sacrificing how the characters act. Even with Flash raging out the episode still contained the fun whimsicalness of the season, and even with Arrow not moving completely to the dark side the show still had a more serious tone.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Maybe we can get Squirrel Girl I'm there when Luke and Jess get married and have their kid. Sadly we won't get Jess's crush on Parker.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

twistedmentat posted:

Maybe we can get Squirrel Girl I'm there when Luke and Jess get married and have their kid. Sadly we won't get Jess's crush on Parker.

They will have Hawkeye or another Avengers just there, since the object of the crush never notices her. I just hope we get the coma girl moment.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Madkal posted:

The Flash/Arrow crossover was great because of how comic booky it was. What is amazing is how the crossover happened but still maintained the different tones for both shows without sacrificing how the characters act. Even with Flash raging out the episode still contained the fun whimsicalness of the season, and even with Arrow not moving completely to the dark side the show still had a more serious tone.

I thought Gustin did a good job playing menacing for someone who's normally so goofy.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Confirmed by Marvel.

Marvel and Netflix are proud to announce that Krysten Ritter will star in "Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones," an all-new 13-episode series premiering on Netflix in 2015 following "Marvel's Daredevil."

Ritter will play Jessica Jones, first introduced in writer Brian Michael Bendis and artist Michael Gaydos' classic ALIAS comic series. After a tragic ending to her short-lived Super Hero stint, Jones is rebuilding her personal life and career as a detective who gets pulled into cases involving people with extraordinary abilities in New York City.

"Krysten brings both the hard edge and the vulnerability the role demands," said Executive Producer/Showrunner Melissa Rosenberg. "We can't wait for fans to see her in action, coming to Netflix in 2015."

"Krysten Ritter has the type of range, spanning the comic to the tragic, that makes for the stuff of the best Marvel heroes," said Jeph Loeb, Executive Producer/Marvel's Head of Television. "As Jessica Jones, Krysten will bring one of the most beloved new characters of the past decade to life in a way we know will delight her longtime fans and introduce her to many more."

Best known for her roles in "Breaking Bad," "Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23," and "Veronica Mars," she will next star alongside Amy Adams, Christoph Waltz, and Jason Schwartzman in Director Tim Burton's "Big Eyes" this Holiday season

http://marvel.com/news/tv/23762/krysten_ritter_to_star_in_marvels_aka_jessica_jones

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I assume they are changing Jessica's origin to vampire then.

Cause she's never seen the sunlight pale.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tonight's Constantine had another Easter Egg as the end of the episode showing the Psycho Pirate mask on a shelf in John's hideout.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Was Zed's Hispanic accent coming in way thicker in tonight's episode? I also don't remember her speaking in Spanish before.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doesn't she speak spanish in her first episode?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Rocksicles posted:

Doesn't she speak spanish in her first episode?

I feel like Constantine spoke Spanish to her and called her chica bonita or something before she said anything, but maybe I just missed her saying something first. I remember thinking it was weird that the British guy randomly decided to throw out some Spanish.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yeah, why would a guy from Europe want to learn Spanish anyway?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Mark Hamill has been cast as the Trickster on Flash.

:flashfap:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Best show confirmed.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Please have him interact with Barry's dad (and the exact same costume as before).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Waterhaul posted:

Please have him interact with Barry's dad (and the exact same costume as before).

Both of them are going to be Iron Heights prisoners, so it sounds like a distinct possibility of a meeting!