Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Bucnasti posted:

"If you want to make a small fortune in RPGs... Start with a large fortune."
--Some guy from WotC

Seriously if your goal is to make money, RPGs are not the way to do it, the market is tiny and the margins are small. Just to make a living you need to work way harder than you would in just about any other industry.

For me, making RPGs is a hobby that (mostly) pays for itself.

For whatever reason, there's not a lot of margin in telling people how to make up whatever they want.

I always found the idea of RPG game design to be kind of laughable. You design a mini's game. Then you write a series of novels. If someone wants to roleplay in that world, they have everything they need from those two...

OH poo poo GW MINDRAYS GOT ME YOU GUYS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

You design a mini's game. Then you write a series of novels.

You mean d&d 4e? :cheeky:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

petrol blue posted:

You mean d&d 4e? :cheeky:

Or first. Or the original Rogue Trader. Or Chainmail.

Gygax was a wargamer. Arneson was the hippy guy with the theater of the mind stuff.

Anyway, I didn't mean to distract, I just thought the conversation took a funny turn. I still hate GW you guys. They're dumb and make bad decisions.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm surprised that Green Ronin had been involved with Black Industries, I thought they were strictly a D20 mill.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

moths posted:

I'm surprised that Green Ronin had been involved with Black Industries, I thought they were strictly a D20 mill.

It was common knowledge at the time. Makes more sense to license out the IP to someone you already have a good relationship with than to keep another company in the process, I think.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Speaking of companies mismanaging videogames, WarMachine game still seems to be buggy!

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

S.J. posted:

It was common knowledge at the time. Makes more sense to license out the IP to someone you already have a good relationship with than to keep another company in the process, I think.

Green Ronin had the GW rpg license at the time, and had been releasing 2nd edition Fantasy Roleplay material for a few years at that point. Presumably there was a business falling out, and temporarily killing Black Library was the manner that GW chose to terminate the relationship. It may have been their only option other than writing a big cheque.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

JcDent posted:

Speaking of companies mismanaging videogames, WarMachine game still seems to be buggy!

It's still in beta.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

fugly posted:

It's still in beta.

Is this a commentary on our perpetual beta release cycle or are you serious? Because the full campaign was released a couple weeks ago. My impression is that it's now just a matter of DLC expansion, not hammering out the basics.

It's got problems, but it's miles ahead of every GW game release with the exception of their Blood Bowl game, which, if I remember correctly started as a rogue imitator project that later, as part of an out of court settlement became a GW official thing.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

ocrumsprug posted:

Green Ronin had the GW rpg license at the time, and had been releasing 2nd edition Fantasy Roleplay material for a few years at that point. Presumably there was a business falling out, and temporarily killing Black Library was the manner that GW chose to terminate the relationship. It may have been their only option other than writing a big cheque.

I'm pretty sure they had stopped making WHFRPG stuff for some time when the 40k RPG came out? Though I'm not 100% sure. That license was switched over to fantasy flight as well, who they had been licensing Talisman to since, like, dirt was invented.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

It's got problems, but it's miles ahead of every GW game release with the exception of Dawn of War

FTFY. Dawn of War was an amazing game, and I say that as someone who dislikes both RTS games and the 40K setting. It was that drat good.

I rarely do multiple playthroughs of games, but I think I did at least one playthrough for each race in DoW: Dark Crusade (which I think was about 7).

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

S.J. posted:

I'm pretty sure they had stopped making WHFRPG stuff for some time when the 40k RPG came out? Though I'm not 100% sure. That license was switched over to fantasy flight as well, who they had been licensing Talisman to since, like, dirt was invented.

Well they sort of had as they were in generate campaigns mode for the system, but they were still writing for them. Green Ronin actually wrote the first 40K book. It got handed off to FFG right after release.

"Fantasy RPG wiki posted:

In 2004, Games Workshop announced that the WFRP line would once again be published. Black Industries, a newly created division of GW's Black Library publishing arm, would oversee the publishing and distribution of a new second edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, designed by Green Ronin Publishing. The new edition uses the same basic system released in 1986, but revises and updates a number of features of the system – replacing the magic system, for instance. The new WFRP also brought the Old World setting of WFRP up to date with the developments in background story that had taken place in the Warhammer tabletop game since first edition by setting the events of the game after the Storm of Chaos. The new rulebook appeared in March 2005, and was soon accompanied by an aggressively-published slate of supplements and sourcebooks, including a new epic campaign (the Paths of the Damned series); monster, equipment and setting supplements; and a number of stand-alone adventures. Editions of the game have also appeared in German, French, Polish, Italian, Spanish, and a Japanese edition was slated for 2007.

Black Industries announced on January 28, 2008 that it would be exiting the roleplaying game market. The Thousand Thrones Campaign was their final WFRP publication.

On February 22, 2008, Fantasy Flight Games announced that it had acquired the exclusive rights to publish board games, card games and role-playing games based on Games Workshop properties, including Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay.[1] The Career Compendium and Shades of Empire were FFG's only publications for second edition before it announced it would release a new edition of the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay game. As of 2009, the game is packaged as a single box at around $99.

"40K RPG wiki posted:

Black Industries, the role-playing game imprint of BL Publishing, which is itself a part of Games Workshop, initially farmed out the development of Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay to Green Ronin, the same company that created the 2nd edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (WHFRP2), before bringing development back in house. Fantasy Flight Games took over development of future products after acquiring the license for the game in 2008.

A collector's edition of Dark Heresy - the first release of the game - went on sale on Monday, 10 December 2007, at 16:00 GMT. The 200 copies of the game, individually numbered with an accompanying 'signature' of an in-game Inquisitor, sold out in six minutes. The regular edition was released on 25 January 2008, and a demo booklet was distributed at Gen Con 2007. The game itself shares many design features with WHFRP2.

On 28 January 2008, Games Workshop announced that it would close Black Industries - thereby discontinuing Dark Heresy and all the other games published the subsidiary - to allow them to focus on the commercial success of their novels and core business.

On 22 February 2008, Black Industries announced that all Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40,000 RPG, CCG, and select board game rights were being transferred to Fantasy Flight Games, who would continue to publish Dark Heresy.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Yeah, but they were right about getting rid of Green Ronin and handing it over to FFG, even at that point.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

S.J. posted:

Yeah, but they were right about getting rid of Green Ronin and handing it over to FFG, even at that point.

Not going to deny that. Green Ronin are nice people and I liked what they did with the license while they had it, but FFG is my favourite game company. Stopped watch, etc...

It is just impressive, though not unheard of, to nuke an entire division in order to break a contract.

ocrumsprug fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 5, 2014

JcDent
May 13, 2013

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Is this a commentary on our perpetual beta release cycle or are you serious? Because the full campaign was released a couple weeks ago. My impression is that it's now just a matter of DLC expansion, not hammering out the basics.

It's got problems, but it's miles ahead of every GW game release with the exception of their Blood Bowl game, which, if I remember correctly started as a rogue imitator project that later, as part of an out of court settlement became a GW official thing.

A lot of people bitching on Steam Reviews even post release, about framerates, UI, stuff like that. It's unlikely that it will ever super special good.

Blood Bowl started as Chaos League and I though that the "OK, guys, you don't get sued, instead, you make a game for us" was a good decission for all parties involved. For all the bitching in BB LP, they seem to be enjoying the game.

Oh my God, Dawn of War was mindblowing when it came out... Optimized to hell and back, awesome graphics, in game models acting and talking in cutscenes, a Space Marine campaign that also had Guardsmen...

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

http://apocalypse40k.blogspot.com/2014/12/end-times-for-40k.html

Could they really be advancing the story-line to 40,001?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Bucnasti posted:

That would be either 001.M41 or 002.M42, a lot of things had been happening after the actual year 40.000.

Whatever the end times bring, it's going to mean more spacemarines, and bigger MCs.

Plus, something as gently caress as elf reunification.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
If we get to see some Mary Sue characters finally get killed off :fap:

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Holy poo poo, the local GW shop dude wasn't making it up. Bring it on.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

BULBASAUR posted:

So far all we seem to "know" character-wise is that Guilliman is coming back.

So literally the exact opposite of finally killing some mary sues off. :v:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Maybe they're bringing him back to shoot him in the face?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
The last one they killed off was Eldrad and we all saw how that turned out.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

JerryLee posted:

So far all we seem to "know" character-wise is that Guilliman is coming back.

So literally the exact opposite of finally killing some mary sues off. :v:

Except for maybe killing off the emperor. Only to have Guilliman take his place.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Bucnasti posted:

This is true, my dad works at Nintendo and told me so.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm looking at Warhammer's end times more than the retconned history in 40k. They killed off some characters and screwed a bunch of the factions, didn't they?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

BULBASAUR posted:

I'm looking at Warhammer's end times more than the retconned history in 40k. They killed off some characters and screwed a bunch of the factions, didn't they?

Yeah, but WHFB is like alt universe GW.

Girlyman (can be arsed to spell) can't kill them Emps and take this place. Why?

Because only our Spiritual Liege is man enough to lead humanity...

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

BULBASAUR posted:

They've killed off like, half the established characters this far, and some pretty high profile ones at that. It's a slaughter and there are still books left to be released.

It would be interesting to see if they try something similar to that in 40K.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Bucnasti posted:

I always joked with my local group that 7th ed would probably end up with Guilliman making a magical recovery and taking the throne of the Emperor, but now that it might actually happen... :smith:

Seriously, Rowboat Girlyman is bland as gently caress and the only interesting thing about Ultramarines was their 'space Roman' thing which has almost entirely been removed from them, just leaving them as the most generic and bland chapter. The Microsoft Sam of the Adeptus Astartes, if you will. If the primarch of the most boring chapter ends up usurping the Emperor's throne... :argh:

HiveCommander fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Dec 5, 2014

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

BULBASAUR posted:

If it's anything like End Times Fantasy the Mary Sue characters will get even more Mary Sue while the lesser ones are murdered in droves.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Radish posted:

If it's anything like End Times Fantasy the Mary Sue characters will get even more Mary Sue while the lesser ones are murdered in droves.

Only ones that have gotten bumped to insane levels are KFA and Eterenity Malekith. Hell, the new "better" everqueen is a reduction in power.

The only real surprise to me is that Maelkith survived considering how old his model is. And I guess the same thing with Karl Franz. For lower tier, the general rule appears to be an older figure means you could easily end up dead, while a recently done or redone kit means you survive.

Not sure what that means for 40K, but for fantasy I have a couple of big guys I expect to be dead by the finish line. Thanqoul is a goner, as is Throt and Skrolk. For dwarves, it's going to be Thorgrim, Ungrim, and Bugman. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Alith Anar or those loving WE twins die by the time everything is done either. All that being said, I'm super happy to see a bunch of special characters bite the dust, because I'm hoping for special characters to be less special and thus a bunch of the idiots out there stop using them every game.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

rkajdi posted:

Thanqoul is a goner, as is Throt and Skrolk... Thorgrim, Ungrim... Alith Anar...

Forging the keyboard-mashing.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Well. GW's games are every fantasy trope in a bucket, and every scifi *and* fantasy trope in a bucket. So it was only a matter of time before they realized George RR Martin was a thing and contrived a way to kill half their uninspiring characters.

Coming soon to 41+k; the Horse Krootraki. Lead by Tarnerium Dargellius, a former planetary governor lady. Who is immune to template weapons. And has 3 pet gargoyles. Or who knows, maybe just dragons. GW is not subtle.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Are they Kroot because if so I'd play that army every day.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I have a hard time imagining 40k could get any worse from this. 40k needs a purging. :getin:

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

petrol blue posted:

Forging the keyboard-mashing.

I think I spelled them right. Ridiculous names are half the point of fantasy stuff. Nobody want to play with Bob the Elf King.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Well. GW's games are every fantasy trope in a bucket, and every scifi *and* fantasy trope in a bucket. So it was only a matter of time before they realized George RR Martin was a thing and contrived a way to kill half their uninspiring characters.

Coming soon to 41+k; the Horse Krootraki. Lead by Tarnerium Dargellius, a former planetary governor lady. Who is immune to template weapons. And has 3 pet gargoyles. Or who knows, maybe just dragons. GW is not subtle.
No, if they took notes from George RR Marin they'd be killing off the popular characters. Goodbye Calgar, Lysander, Vulkan and Dante :getin:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

HiveCommander posted:

No, if they took notes from George RR Marin they'd be killing off the popular characters. Goodbye Calgar, Lysander, Vulkan and Dante :getin:

This is what needs to happen! It would legitimately make the game and universe more interesting.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Refocalize the 40k universe on the Tau, that would own.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

S.J. posted:

This is what needs to happen! It would legitimately make the game and universe more interesting.

G. W. W. Martian?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

rkajdi posted:

I think I spelled them right. Ridiculous names are half the point of fantasy stuff. Nobody want to play with Bob the Elf King.

Um, Melf and Bigsby and other silly but highly practical names are the cornerstone of magical realms. Melf is literally magic elf, you can't get more bob than that.

• Locked thread