Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Helpdesk loving sucks. I don't understand how some people get dressed in the morning.

Lately I've been getting lots of calls from people who replaced their old iPhone with a new one and have no loving idea how to setup their Exchange account on it even though autodiscovery works fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

Helpdesk loving sucks. I don't understand how some people get dressed in the morning.

Lately I've been getting lots of calls from people who replaced their old iPhone with a new one and have no loving idea how to setup their Exchange account on it even though autodiscovery works fine.

Iphone email setups is loving attrocious when setting up pop/imap. You figured by now they would have figured out how to make it work but every time it just freezes up when searching for SSL smtp connections.

We don't use pop in here thank god but another business I help out does.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Inspector_666 posted:

Tell them they need to do a backup in iTunes from their old phone and then restore to their new one. Moves all the Exchange settings.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

m.hache posted:

Iphone email setups is loving attrocious when setting up pop/imap. You figured by now they would have figured out how to make it work but every time it just freezes up when searching for SSL smtp connections.

We don't use pop in here thank god but another business I help out does.

POP and IMAP are loving bullshit in general and if they're your only option you should be using the web interface as far as I'm concerned.

GreenNight posted:

Tell them they need to do a backup in iTunes from their old phone and then restore to their new one. Moves all the Exchange settings.

Guess who would get to go on-site to do the backup and restore?

It's easier to just read them their e-mail address and password, I just don't understand why people don't even try just doing it themselves. Sometimes, I will start saying "Go to Settings, then Mail, Contacts and Calendars" and they cut me off to tell me they're already there. The screen says "E-mail address" and "Password," how confusing can this be?

Then again, I used to have people ask me what they were supposed to do when our remote assistance tool popped up a window that read "Double left click here for remote assistance."

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 4, 2014

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

malformedtag posted:

Ask me about how 8 years ago I inherited HEAT admin duties for 90 users, only 10 of whom are actually techs.

Or better yet don't, and instead funnel liquor directly down my throat.

I inherited heat admin duties a year ago. I like the program but all the documentation makes me want to go black out.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
email is terrible '80s technology that ought to be rebuilt from the ground up but sadly we're stuck with it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Entropic posted:

email is terrible '80s technology that ought to be rebuilt from the ground up but sadly we're stuck with it.

70's actually, but that just reinforces your point.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Entropic posted:

As far as technology rebuilding is concerned, Faxing gets redone first.

... though that'd probably be e-mail.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
AOL Instant Messenger could literally be the best electronic communication method that has ever existed. They're all that bad.

potato of destiny
Aug 21, 2005

Yeah, welcome to the club, pal.

Lord Dudeguy posted:

As far as technology rebuilding is concerned, Faxing gets redone first.

... though that'd probably be e-mail.

What's really great is the sheer amount of time and money that gets poured into having a scalable, high-availability infrastructure to take a modern Electronic Medical Record and cause it to be spit out to basically the same goddamn fax machine as the doctor's office was using 30 years ago.

Fax machine is just printer + phone, two terrible things that go terrible together.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

potato of destiny posted:

What's really great is the sheer amount of time and money that gets poured into having a scalable, high-availability infrastructure to take a modern Electronic Medical Record and cause it to be spit out to basically the same goddamn fax machine as the doctor's office was using 30 years ago.

Fax machine is just printer + phone, two terrible things that go terrible together.

Or even better, a nice clean electronic medical record that ends up being printed to be manually faxed, because backwards-assed hill hicks.

At least, I don't *think* there's an option to send an all-electronic fax crooked/wrinkled...

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Roargasm posted:

AOL Instant Messenger could literally be the best electronic communication method that has ever existed. They're all that bad.

We're still using AIM. New guy was asking everyone for their handles today. Yep.

Note: I'm 23 and haven't used AIM since I was 11.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Entropic posted:

Funny, email feels to me like one of the few things that actually does work. Exchange, on the other hand...

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Baconroll posted:

lovely security scanner seemed be checking for things based on feng shui or maybe inspecting chicken entrails - Lots of truly random stuff like remove all read/write permission on all files - including the files we err kind of need to read and write to as thats the whole point of the product. I guess it would be secure as no-one including the users would be able to access it anymore.

Nexpose?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

potato of destiny posted:

The sick thing is, there's ANSI and HL7 standards for sending literally anything you can imagine electronically and most of the major vendors support them. The big orgs just refuse to implement them for fear of alienating the local small clinics that send business their way who also refuse to buy any electronics made after the CRT monitor went fossil.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Roargasm posted:

I'm on IRC 24/7, and have been for over fifteen years now. gently caress AIM, IRC is where it's at.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Truga posted:

This. The only time I'm not getting tickets for more than an hour is when jira's mail parser chocked on some attachment a dumb client sent in.
A TIFF file and an old version of JIRA, perhaps?

DrBouvenstein posted:

What about an app like Nine?
I might just buy it for the interface. Touchdown works, but Jesus, the interface is shockingly bad.

spiny posted:

I've tried the providers DNS servers and Googles, both timeout on the websites, However, if I use Opera and switch on 'turbo mode' I can suddenly get to all websites. I'm stumped.
I'm going to guess some kind of blocking on HTTP/HTTPS, or a bad web proxy.

Opera's "Turbo Mode" is a web accelerator proxy, if I remember rightly. It takes requests, downloads over its fat connection, compresses the data, and then passes it to the client where it's decompressed.

However with it being a proxy, could be that it's connecting over a non-HTTP port, so I'm guessing that bypasses any kind of web blocking/existing web proxy that might be present.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Nah, it was completely random. I've been keeping it fairly up to date and it hasn't been problematic. It was a very long time ago.

It used to choke on either random spam mails once or twice a year (probably due to protocol violations not always being handled correctly?) and maybe 5 times a year due to some client sending in... odd stuff I guess. I never really figured out exactly why it kept happening because I was super busy during those early 2 years and it wasn't anything obvious I could find, nor was it critical. Now it's not happening anymore so I'm OK with that too.

The best was when it crashed on a mail after it generated the issue, imported the attachments and everything, but before it removed the mail from the queue. Then arrive to the office in the morning and seeing 1000 identical issues with 15MB of attachments each. :3:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I too am helpdesk with added responsibilities. I've previously worked my way up in call centers to have the warranty costs of 8 callcenters and 1100 agents under me, and I have also worked with 2nd line ADSL setup, configuration and troubleshooting. The first job was 95% office politics with people and 5% meetings and powerpoints. The second one was 100% technology and no people. I didn't like any of them. Right now I plug in network cables, image up laptops, train and support our 1st line helpdesk in the Philippines which I have gotten to visit twice, I've also been to the Netherlands and taken a helicopter to an offshore oilrig to eat shittons of bacon and chocolate pudding while I install Windows 7 for them. I get to play and learn with tons of technology and gadgets, each year for the last 5 I make more money than I ever have, I get to deal with mostly grown up coworkers and users who know that poo poo breaks and are thankful when I fix it. We're a small inhouse shop, so there is no possibility for advancement here, but right now I'm as happy as I've ever been with any job I've had in IT.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

evobatman posted:

I get to deal with mostly grown up coworkers and users who know that poo poo breaks and are thankful when I fix it. We're a small inhouse shop, so there is no possibility for advancement here, but right now I'm as happy as I've ever been with any job I've had in IT.

This was my old job, somewhat. It was for a small, family-run computer shop. We had the best reputation in town, built decent rigs, provided solid support and backed it up, and people liked us. I didn't make a ton, but it was enough, and I loved going in to work (most days, there's always the odd bad one). Then the wife got a significantly better job, and we moved 1/2 way across Canada. I miss my old job :(

werewerewolf
Mar 22, 2001

jim truds posted:

I inherited heat admin duties a year ago. I like the program but all the documentation makes me want to go black out.

We're using HEAT "Classic" and it's pretty amazing what you're able to customize and bolt on to the core, but yeah, I've learned more from random conversations on their forums than the actual docs.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Tickets comes in that the CFO has malware. It seems that he clicked on one of those fake googles ads for flash update and installed it at 5am. His machine is now pop up city and symantec can't find and remove all of it(shocker).

He is the only user in the company with admin rights due to a deal he made with my boss well before I became part of the company. He is also the pickiest person in the world about letting people work on his laptop. After desktop guy worked with him on it a bit, he sent him away because he wasn't confident desktop guy could handle it.

Queue me, the sysadmin talking to him about the issue. I told him he could leave his laptop with me and I would run the scan for 2-4 hours, let it clean what it could, and then move on to making sure its resolved or totally redoing his machine. He didn't like leaving his laptop with someone without his supervision. I told him he could sit with me at my desk while its running if he liked but that I could not sit in his office to do it. He caved on leaving it with me but then gave me this crazy schedule of 30 minutes increments he would leave it with me and I would bring it back so he could reply to emails (he has an iphone). I let him know that there is no way that is going to work because of obvious reasons. He caved again but then stated I would have to start on it at 5. I let him know I leave at 5 and that we could start this all over again on Monday if he would like.

He then proceeded to lecture me on being a team player and getting the work done that is assigned to me. I stopped him not very far into his rant and simply stated that him not wanting to go with a reasonable course of action was his decision to make. Staying after work to fix malware on a laptop instead of attending to my family and friends was mine. I went on about how I would gladly stay for emergencies that affected the company but that this was a personal issue of his and no matter how urgent it was to him personally I couldn't I couldn't in good conscious neglect my home life for it.

I guess he talked to my boss because after I got back from lunch he suddenly seems to have become instantly more reasonable and my desktop guy is scanning his laptop right now at his desk.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

Tickets comes in that the CFO has malware. It seems that he clicked on one of those fake googles ads for flash update and installed it at 5am. His machine is now pop up city and symantec can't find and remove all of it(shocker).

He is the only user in the company with admin rights due to a deal he made with my boss well before I became part of the company. He is also the pickiest person in the world about letting people work on his laptop. After desktop guy worked with him on it a bit, he sent him away because he wasn't confident desktop guy could handle it.

Queue me, the sysadmin talking to him about the issue. I told him he could leave his laptop with me and I would run the scan for 2-4 hours, let it clean what it could, and then move on to making sure its resolved or totally redoing his machine. He didn't like leaving his laptop with someone without his supervision. I told him he could sit with me at my desk while its running if he liked but that I could not sit in his office to do it. He caved on leaving it with me but then gave me this crazy schedule of 30 minutes increments he would leave it with me and I would bring it back so he could reply to emails (he has an iphone). I let him know that there is no way that is going to work because of obvious reasons. He caved again but then stated I would have to start on it at 5. I let him know I leave at 5 and that we could start this all over again on Monday if he would like.

He then proceeded to lecture me on being a team player and getting the work done that is assigned to me. I stopped him not very far into his rant and simply stated that him not wanting to go with a reasonable course of action was his decision to make. Staying after work to fix malware on a laptop instead of attending to my family and friends was mine. I went on about how I would gladly stay for emergencies that affected the company but that this was a personal issue of his and no matter how urgent it was to him personally I couldn't I couldn't in good conscious neglect my home life for it.

I guess he talked to my boss because after I got back from lunch he suddenly seems to have become instantly more reasonable and my desktop guy is scanning his laptop right now at his desk.

Sounds like you have a pretty decent boss. I always wish I was a fly on the wall during these chats.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

IT person with balls says stuff to CFO
Man, is it ever refreshing to know that I'm not the only guy who will tell people "no". I don't care if you've been treated like a special snowflake all of your professional career, that poo poo doesn't fly around here. Treat me like a person and a colleague and I'll go to the end of the earth for you, but trying to make me work around ridiculous requirements like bringing your laptop back to you every 30 minutes straight up isn't happening.

Good job, man.

I am a VERY reasonable person, but I bet I say "no" to various requests 3-4 times a week. It's hard to summon the courage to say it to someone the first few times, but once you get in the habit of doing it, it gets much easier and by consequence, so does your life.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Sickening posted:

Feel-good story.

Taking bets on how long before Sickening is laid-off due to "cutbacks". I give him 3 months.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

RadicalR posted:

Taking bets on how long before Sickening is laid-off due to "cutbacks". I give him 3 months.
Not even close. I know it's counter-intuitive, but aside from an even smaller portion of special-SPECIAL snowflakes, as long as you go about it in a respectful manner, most people will actually respect you more if you can tell them "no".

Mostly because they will understand that they can trust you - they know now you won't always just say "yes" to placate them.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

nexxai posted:

Man, is it ever refreshing to know that I'm not the only guy who will tell people "no". I don't care if you've been treated like a special snowflake all of your professional career, that poo poo doesn't fly around here. Treat me like a person and a colleague and I'll go to the end of the earth for you, but trying to make me work around ridiculous requirements like bringing your laptop back to you every 30 minutes straight up isn't happening.

Good job, man.

I am a VERY reasonable person, but I bet I say "no" to various requests 3-4 times a week. It's hard to summon the courage to say it to someone the first few times, but once you get in the habit of doing it, it gets much easier and by consequence, so does your life.

Expectations are just killer. My post neglects a lot of what was said due to TLDR but I spent a lot of time doing everything I could to not say no first before he put me into a situation where I couldn't do anything else. I tried to be as tactful as possible with my verbage but I wanted to be clear what I WOULD DO more than what I wouldn't do.

RadicalR posted:

I have been laid off by crazy before and I ALMOST got a loving boat of that deal. I hope the curse I put on all of you who didn't want me to buy the boat is kicking in by now FYI.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

The sick thing is, there's ANSI and HL7 standards for sending literally anything you can imagine electronically and most of the major vendors support them. The big orgs just refuse to implement them for fear of alienating the local small clinics that send business their way who also refuse to buy any electronics made after the CRT monitor went fossil.

I'm actually excited about what openEHR and FIHR can do to medical IT. Early in the hype cycle, but it makes so much sense. Just waiting for my hopes to be dashed and the innovation guys to burn out and quit or be axed.

Marmalade Marinade
Feb 20, 2013
Inside tank of fuel is not fuel but love,
Above us, there is nothing above
But the stars above.
Today I was working as the middle-man for a client while the vendor helped install some software. I just installed the initial portions and then the vendor was supposed to finish the configuration, no problem.

An hour later, I get a call from the client.

Client: She says the software won't work because it's on the server.

Me: Um no, it's not on the server. It's installed directly to the computer. No server involved.

Client: I'll let you talk to her directly.

Vendor: This software won't work with a computer on the network! You installed on the network and so it won't work.

Me: On the network? What do you mean? I installed it directly to the computer, c:\program files (x86)\ no network installation (I gave her the benefit of the doubt and assumed she meant I was installing it using mapped drives or something)

Vendor: Yes that portion is OK but our add-ons won't work with computers on the network. It has to be installed to a computer not on the network.

Me: So... it has to be installed on a stand-alone PC, with no network access, no internet access?

Vendor: Oh no, it's an internet installation, it has to be connected to the internet, it just can't be connected to the network.

:bang:

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Sickening posted:

I have been laid off by crazy before and I ALMOST got a loving boat of that deal. I hope the curse I put on all of you who didn't want me to buy the boat is kicking in by now FYI.

Don't worry, it is. I bought a used motorcycle that I have spent almost as much overhauling as I did on the original pirchase price. Still within my budget, but hoping it doesn't get worse.

Seriously, though, Sickening's just fine. Setting priorities, and not letting yourself get overwhelmed by unreasonable requests is good for you, even if it ends in layoffs.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."
So it needs to be installed onto a computer not joined to the domain. Hope your user likes having two laptops!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

RadicalR posted:

So it needs to be installed onto a computer not joined to the domain. Hope your user likes having two laptops!
And make sure they get a hotspot.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Marmalade Marinade posted:

Vendor: Oh no, it's an internet installation, it has to be connected to the internet, it just can't be connected to the network.

"I'm glad you've said that as it demonstrates you haven't the first loving clue what you're talking about. Can I talk to someone with some technical knowledge, or at least a functioning brain?"

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Client: "Help! The Delete key is missing!"
Me: "From your Keyboard?"
Client: "No from my monitor! It's usually there when I open the internet, and I can't delete emails without it."

Turns out he collapsed the ribbon menu in Outlook somehow, and couldn't figure out how to delete emails without it.

Marmalade Marinade
Feb 20, 2013
Inside tank of fuel is not fuel but love,
Above us, there is nothing above
But the stars above.

RadicalR posted:

Nah, I wondered about that too but it didn't seem likely, since this seems like a fairly recent application and not some PoS POS system from 1998. The reality was this:

DigitalRaven posted:

"I'm glad you've said that as it demonstrates you haven't the first loving clue what you're talking about. Can I talk to someone with some technical knowledge, or at least a functioning brain?"

And even after THAT person got on, she still didn't have a clue. She asked me to uninstall the software for a reinstall, and when a prompt came up saying that another user profile was logged on, she said "Oh yeah, see, that's why it won't work on this computer. It's a network computer, the mappings will get all messed up." When I asked her for technical documentation explaining exactly what the requirements for the software were, because what she was saying didn't make any sense, she said they didn't have any. Where do they find these people?

Anyway, after uninstalling and reinstalling, it worked fine. Even though it was a networked computer.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Marmalade Marinade posted:

And even after THAT person got on, she still didn't have a clue. She asked me to uninstall the software for a reinstall, and when a prompt came up saying that another user profile was logged on, she said "Oh yeah, see, that's why it won't work on this computer. It's a network computer, the mappings will get all messed up." When I asked her for technical documentation explaining exactly what the requirements for the software were, because what she was saying didn't make any sense, she said they didn't have any. Where do they find these people?

It's like they have that magnetic fridge poetry: computer terminology edition on a whiteboard nearby.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Che Delilas posted:

It's like they have that magnetic fridge poetry: computer terminology edition on a whiteboard nearby.

Someone post that Law and Order image the one where the dude goes "Someone taught you a computer word, and you are using it wrong."

Zhiwau
Sep 13, 2005
Wouldn't everything look more dull without this message?
An email came in. It was from our vendor's account manager:

Header: FW: FW: FW: AMAZING! YOU WON'T BELIEVE YOUR EYES!

content: well, let's give it a shot:)
_____
Send this email to five people and a person will appear in this picture (some GIF)

She actually sent it to five addresses, four of them yahoo and gmail and one to my work addresses.

I honestly haven't seen one of these in at least three years.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Zhiwau posted:

An email came in. It was from our vendor's account manager:

Header: FW: FW: FW: AMAZING! YOU WON'T BELIEVE YOUR EYES!

content: well, let's give it a shot:)
_____
Send this email to five people and a person will appear in this picture (some GIF)

She actually sent it to five addresses, four of them yahoo and gmail and one to my work addresses.

I honestly haven't seen one of these in at least three years.

Don't leave us hanging. Did it work? Send it to 5 people and see who shows up in the picture!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Don't leave us hanging. Did it work? Send it to 5 people and see who shows up in the picture!

Somewhat related, a while back a picture of one of the guys in IT sitting at his desk made it on to the default image. This happened around the same time we switched to netbooks instead of tablets for mobile computers, and the staff had a bit of paranoia about the webcams that came with the netbooks. Someone found the picture, opened it up, and swore up and down that the person in the picture winked at them, therefore we must be spying on them through the webcams. To this day I still find post it notes taped over the webcam lenses.

• Locked thread