Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

garth ferengi posted:

The entirety of KDR squad was banned actually

Was this around the time that no one played anymore by chance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Mindblast posted:

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve here.

Just making sure that it'll be a lot longer before people forget how big an idiot he is this time.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Mindblast posted:

I think he's trying to tell us how alpha he is after advocating beta methodology a couple of posts back.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Baudin posted:

Was this around the time that no one played anymore by chance?

It was before 12 person groups and ghost heat so no, somewhat

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Arquinsiel posted:

I think he's trying to tell us how alpha he is after advocating beta methodology a couple of posts back.

I'm actually using some of my bottom-shelf owns (well owns?) to decorate my posts and make the discussion more lighthearted and interesting, but for some reason all they are doing is getting goons riled up.

Before you try to own me in return, let me warn you that my premium owns are even more powerful.

Pycckuu fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 5, 2014

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Look at all those new posts! oh wait.

So I'm a returning player from around the ghost heat rollout that neutered my heavenly stalker/highlander/cataphract snipers. Since my mechbay seems to be full of now somewhat useless 2 year old builds, can anyone give advice on good setups for heavies/assaults oriented towards longer range combat? My weapons of choice in the before times were large laser boats (cataphract/stalker) or PPC boats a-la awesome or highlander.

The last few nights I've been hopping on mumble and just running AC20 mediums. It's been a ton of fun, and piloting a medium I at least feel like I'm not squandering to much weight as I relearn how to play.

As for the whole taking days to get made a WOL member discussion. I played on mumble for like two hours before some random goon asked if I was a spai and then suddenly I had WOL tags so I don't really see a problem.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Pycckuu posted:

I'm actually using some of my bottom-shelf owns (well owns?) to decorate my posts and make the discussion more lighthearted and interesting, but for some reason all they are doing is getting goons riled up.

Before you try to own me in return, let me warn you that my premium owns are even more powerful.

weirdo

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
There needs to be rules. They're completely necessary.

I honestly wish we were a little more strict on homophobic and racist slurs within mumble. I find it a bit ridiculous that grown men are still using pejoratives such as, 'fag' or 'human being'.

People are offended by this poo poo and it ultimately pushes people away. Many other goon groups have a no tolerance stance on these behaviors, a good example is the goon run [GOKU] outfit from Planetside 2.

I understand that we're goons and we like to be 'gooney', but hate speech shouldn't be tolerated. Especially within an international multi-cultural group of players.

Edit: This post was simply intended to be a suggestion for the future foundation of rules/guidelines for WoL, not stir up past discrepancies.

Blackdog420 fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 5, 2014

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Pycckuu posted:

Please keep demonstrating these "owns" you speak of, I require them for my collection.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Arquinsiel posted:

Please keep demonstrating these "owns" you speak of, I require them for my collection.

You are just going to write them down and use them on the star citizen forums, because you know I don't read those. I am actually OK with it, but I should warn you that these owns are extremely powerful and may cause side effects if not used in moderation and with great care.

edit: you do not have my permission to use my mid-grade owns, and especially my supreme owns.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Blackdog420 posted:

I honestly wish we were a little more strict on homophobic and racist slurs within mumble. I find it a bit ridiculous that grown men are still using pejoratives such as, 'fag' or 'human being'.

People are offended by this poo poo and it ultimately pushes people away. Many other goon groups have a no tolerance stance on these behaviors, a good example is the goon run [GOKU] outfit from Planetside 2.

I understand that we're goons and we like to be 'gooney', but hate speech shouldn't be tolerated. Especially within an international multi-cultural group of players.

Posts like this are what got a bunch of people banned from the word of lowtax years ago(including me!) so I wish you luck in your endeavours. Ha ha ha ha ha

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ probably not gonna end the same as you because he went about it like a normal person.

Pycckuu posted:

You are just going to write them down and use them on the star citizen forums, because you know I don't read those. I am actually OK with it, but I should warn you that these owns are extremely powerful and may cause side effects if not used in moderation and with great care.

edit: you do not have my permission to use my mid-grade owns, and especially my supreme owns.

im waiting for my face to be drenched in cum over here, dont loving make me wait for too much longer.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

garth ferengi posted:

Posts like this are what got a bunch of people banned from the word of lowtax years ago(including me!) so I wish you luck in your endeavours. Ha ha ha ha ha
Your posts were not like that.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

SpaceCadetBob posted:

So I'm a returning player from around the ghost heat rollout that neutered my heavenly stalker/highlander/cataphract snipers. Since my mechbay seems to be full of now somewhat useless 2 year old builds, can anyone give advice on good setups for heavies/assaults oriented towards longer range combat? My weapons of choice in the before times were large laser boats (cataphract/stalker) or PPC boats a-la awesome or highlander.

The last few nights I've been hopping on mumble and just running AC20 mediums. It's been a ton of fun, and piloting a medium I at least feel like I'm not squandering to much weight as I relearn how to play.

As for the whole taking days to get made a WOL member discussion. I played on mumble for like two hours before some random goon asked if I was a spai and then suddenly I had WOL tags so I don't really see a problem.
With IS mechs PPC build is pretty much dead with Jumpjet nerf and introduction of Quirks as well as PPC projectile speed nerf (which shed many pubbie tears). However LL/LPL boats are still viable depending on the mech's quirks. Been seeing some Thunderbolts with LPL quirks around. Clan mechs (especially Summoner because it can jumpjet pretty high) are good for 2 PPC (and maybe 1 Gauss) builds though. Direwolf can use 2 PPC and 2 Gauss at the same time, although you'd want the Gauss on the arms. Not that it's a good long range mech because of its slow acceleration.

e: So to sum up, quirks are decent to make you want to utilize them, and you'll encounter PPC boats almost always from Clan mechs and rarely from IS mechs. Also poptart is pretty much dead apart from certain mechs like Summoner.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 5, 2014

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

SpaceCadetBob posted:

I'm a bit lazy so could you put together a list of what mechs you have (as in the exact models)? I'll put together a few builds once you do that - a major factor for most of these mechs is quirks since they give pretty powerful benefits to inner sphere mechs. Here's an example:
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=46&l=265b4c38b2d108437706331548550e3b517a7e46

Long range power granted by two ppc's, with anything you can get within range getting owned by 4 x SRM6's. I've had decent success with this thing, and it doesn't seem to overheat since you're either using ppcs or srms.

e: the Stalker 5M gets quirks which help the SRM 6's - thus the reason why I have so many of the drat things.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

OhsH posted:

im waiting for my face to be drenched in cum over here, dont loving make me wait for too much longer.

You tried to own me several times itt and did not have my back even though we are supposed to be bros. You will not be getting any owns and I will bottle up this cum and store it for later use on someone who actually cares about things like friendship.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Pycckuu posted:

You tried to own me several times itt and did not have my back even though we are supposed to be bros. You will not be getting any owns and I will bottle up this cum and store it for later use on someone who actually cares about things like friendship.

no owns today

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

Your posts were not like that.

You could dig them up if the word of lowtax forums are still around if you like, they were basically "hey it's really lovely to describe things in a stupid video game as 'rape'" and "hey, oval office is a pretty hateful word and has a lot of lovely misogynistic connotations no matter where you're from(regardless of whether you're aware of it or not) so don't say it"

I just actually call it out when it happens instead of remaining silent and then posting about it way later(without even naming and shaming, what a passive loser)

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I think hateful words can be tastefully used in the right context, and I don't think prohibiting them is a good idea. However, as adults, we should recognize that some people may be affected by certain words and not use them around those people.

It is similar to real life, where nobody is really there to police your language and choice of words, but you don't really use the really bad words until you got to know someone very well and established a relationship. Except when you say friend of the family. Then everyone gets really quiet and black people rappel from helicopters to kick your rear end.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Baudin posted:

I'm a bit lazy so could you put together a list of what mechs you have (as in the exact models)? I'll put together a few builds once you do that - a major factor for most of these mechs is quirks since they give pretty powerful benefits to inner sphere mechs. Here's an example:
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=46&l=265b4c38b2d108437706331548550e3b517a7e46

Long range power granted by two ppc's, with anything you can get within range getting owned by 4 x SRM6's. I've had decent success with this thing, and it doesn't seem to overheat since you're either using ppcs or srms.

e: the Stalker 5M gets quirks which help the SRM 6's - thus the reason why I have so many of the drat things.

Thanks, that stalker looks pretty fun so I'll fit it out and give it a whirl. I have pokemon-itis so I have lots-o-mechs, every stalker/atlas/awesome/highlander/cataphract/catapult.

Stalkerr- if your going to work on the infrastructure, any chance to make the auth process not require me to create an account for some vaporware project? Once I get up to date on the current meta I'd be happy to help fill out wiki pages, but between the :effort: of going over to RSI, and getting hilariously distracted for 10 minutes on the pubbie trap trial it just wasn't happening tonight.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Stalkerr- if your going to work on the infrastructure, any chance to make the auth process not require me to create an account for some vaporware project? Once I get up to date on the current meta I'd be happy to help fill out wiki pages, but between the :effort: of going over to RSI, and getting hilariously distracted for 10 minutes on the pubbie trap trial it just wasn't happening tonight.

A new auth system is in the works that won't need an RSI account for mechshooting. I don't have an ETA at this stage.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
For the Awesome 8Q I run a lovely "Tesla Tits" build. You can swap out the STD 275 and the BAP for a 280 and an extra DHS.

Ghost heat still exists, but the PPC quirks in the 8Q reduce their heat generation to the point that you can alpha all four without overheating, even on Terra Therma. Be careful, though, as even chain firing too quickly and carelessly can end with you shut down pretty fast. The lasers are for poking people who get inside the minimum range and shooting down UAVs, but ideally you'll want to stay away.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Stalkerr posted:

That sounds great. Thanks for doing all that work.

We'll continue to use that wiki. I'm still investigating possibly moving to confluence, but that's far enough out on the timetable that we can plan a migration when we cross that bridge.

I'll post a link to it on the MOTD tonight.

That's the plan. We tried to do that awhile back, but only Anders had privs. I'll shame him to log back on and fix the priv issues so we can get more folks to invite, and just overall manage, the in-game org.

EDIT: OK, I can't blame Anders entirely. According to 19, there's a bug where only the leader can actually change ranks, and the privilege to do so can't be given out. Anders will need to transfer leadership for us to address the issue (or we'll open a support ticket to have that done).

Don't use confluence. GSF tried it for ages in EVE and mediawiki is better, inspire if it's problems.

I'll put my hand up to help with stuff. I'm an FC in EVE so know how to herd nerds, although I need to do some more work on sucking less at robots. We've had some good runs the last few nights I've been on. To the extent we need to do internet diplomacy with other nerds I'd be interested in that sort of thing as well, although I suspect there won't be much room for it in the initial iteration of CW.

Mindblast posted:

My guess is self-immolation

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Blackdog420 posted:

Edit: This post was simply intended to be a suggestion for the future foundation of rules/guidelines for WoL, not stir up past discrepancies.

This is a good idea, and was the general direction WoL was moving in over time, at least until the massive failure cascade around the time if 12v12

Zalmun
Jan 17, 2008

It'sa me!

Nap Ghost

Pycckuu posted:

If you gave me the powers to kick people, I would kick half of the clan based on the sound of their voice alone, which is why kicking powers should be reserved for special occasions only.

:fuckoff: hypocrite.

If you really think you're going to win anyone over with your dumb arguments, you're deluded.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Thanks, that stalker looks pretty fun so I'll fit it out and give it a whirl.

Trip report: Took that stalker 5M out a few times. Last match I soloed a AC-something dire wolf at point blank range due to decent torso twisting in between SRM volleys. Thanks for the fit!

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Since when did WoL turn into a loving hugbox? Get hosed, you don't like the rules, :getout: Otherwise, sit down, shut the gently caress up, shoot robits badly, and chill the gently caress out.

Jesus you loving autists are as bad as the goddamned Archeage spergs.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Pyckuu, please just stop. You have a fair point, but you've clearly stopped trying to reason in favor of intentionally antagonizing people.

To play devil's advocate I don't like the idea of banning people, I'd rather just mute someone and focus on having fun shooting robots but really if rufus and divinedisclaimer haven't been banned then whatever it took for veedub to get banned probably means it was overdue and well-deserved.

Also while you're all hashing out this tryhard business, someone make a comprehensive "How to not suck at lights" guide, thanks.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Vorenus posted:

Also while you're all hashing out this tryhard business, someone make a comprehensive "How to not suck at lights" guide, thanks.

Para (I think) has a really good guide he's posted a few times. Hopefully it will be included in the OP next time. He might be able to link to it.

Eatpants
Jan 26, 2012
:lol: I Love Pycckuu

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Vorenus posted:

Lazy version because I'm hitting bed in 5 min. Go fast (minimum 150 kph) and keep moving, don't expose yourself until enemy is well distracted and don't go to same spot twice, use Radar Deprivation, constantly use terrain to break LoS, don't wander off too far, and don't be greedy about shooting or getting kills because current high alpha meta means instant crippling or death on hit. Also check enemy loadouts before engaging because you don't want to find out that enemy has 6 SSRM6, 4 SRM6 or something that will shred you.

You don't have to pick mechs with ECM because those generally have low number of hardpoints so if you prefer good hitting lights then there are other mechs of choice (Firestarter is decent for this), but bear in mind that the play style is somewhat different. With ECM lights your main focus will be scouting and disrupting/interrupting enemy lights while providing ECM cover at times of need. With hit-and-run light mechs your main focus will be looking for easy targets and harassing enemy while chasing down enemy ECM lights if possible (since you have firepower advantage).

ECM lights are safe when keeping distance due to UAV and BAP countering ECM as well as avoiding hit-and-run lights due to low damage output, whereas hit-and-run lights are easily exposed but has high damage output to make it deadly.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Pooncha posted:

For the Awesome 8Q I run a lovely "Tesla Tits" build. You can swap out the STD 275 and the BAP for a 280 and an extra DHS.

Ghost heat still exists, but the PPC quirks in the 8Q reduce their heat generation to the point that you can alpha all four without overheating, even on Terra Therma. Be careful, though, as even chain firing too quickly and carelessly can end with you shut down pretty fast. The lasers are for poking people who get inside the minimum range and shooting down UAVs, but ideally you'll want to stay away.

You should try http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=14&l=0d4d7e17409c9dd3744fb2f2944d06e0128eb79d instead, which is what I run. I dunno, my experiences with the Awesome are such that if someone gets under 90m without being dead and I am also alone, a couple medium lasers are not going to scare them away, I'm dead anyway.

So put that tonnage towards killing them before they can close to 90m. Remember that heatsinks increase your capacity as well as your dissipation; with 20, you can almost alpha twice before shutting down on a cold map, or you can alpha and follow it up with 2 + 2 even on Mordor. You can pretty much fire 2 + 2 all day, which means anyone who is unaware of your presence before you start firing is hosed. It's like an AC20 Jager but with twice the range, with no ammo, no projectile drop, and a shorter flight time.

The BAP is a good idea, but I don't personally run one. I keep considering it though, the range quirks actually make it worthwhile for the targeting distance.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Those are certainly very valid points and I might give a better sinked build a try :)

More showing off electric tits is good, though there's been a handful of times where savvy enough players have closed in and I've managed to laser them enough to kill or peel off their armour for bystanding teammates to finish them off. It's a close thing I guess.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Vorenus posted:

Pyckuu, please just stop. You have a fair point, but you've clearly stopped trying to reason in favor of intentionally antagonizing people.

If you can't handle the lovetaps, don't step up to the king.

Thanks for the new red title, I couldn't find my posts for a while because of it lol.

Hilbert Spaceship
Mar 15, 2007

If I was dyslexic I'd even hate dog too.

Thronde posted:

Since when did WoL turn into a loving hugbox? Get hosed, you don't like the rules, :getout: Otherwise, sit down, shut the gently caress up, shoot robits badly, and chill the gently caress out.

Jesus you loving autists are as bad as the goddamned Archeage spergs.

Ah yes, "please don't call people friend of the family human being" is a hugbox. Glad you could contribute your valuable insights.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Pooncha posted:

Those are certainly very valid points and I might give a better sinked build a try :)

More showing off electric tits is good, though there's been a handful of times where savvy enough players have closed in and I've managed to laser them enough to kill or peel off their armour for bystanding teammates to finish them off. It's a close thing I guess.

Really, it's just nice to be able to play in an Awesome and not be a detriment to your team for a change, and I'm glad to see more people using them. :D

Shame that you're sorta forced into 4 PPCs because of ghost heat though. Firing all three all the time isn't worth it because of ghost heat and lack of punch compared to four, firing 2 + 1 is stupid. Giving the 8Q a quirk where the third PPC doesn't trigger ghost heat... now THAT would be a quirk.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Trip report: Took that stalker 5M out a few times. Last match I soloed a AC-something dire wolf at point blank range due to decent torso twisting in between SRM volleys. Thanks for the fit!

Great - glad you liked it. I'll take a quick look at the other variants and see what else I can do for you!

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
When I remember I'm going to write a comprehensive guide on lights since my current treatises on light doctrine are spread out all over.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
How to play lights:

Go fast.
Shoot butts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The Steiner Justice Warriors in this thread are loving terrifying.

• Locked thread