Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

nasboat posted:

:rolleyes:

not the first guy to flip a 10/5 guy elsewhere, but since, you know, we Win So Many Things in this world we'd better watch me extra close

That's bullshit and you know it. Vinny has been flipped twice for absolutely nothing in a blatant attempt to skirt the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

then veto the other trade and send Vinny back to me and I'll sit on him

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
As this trade goes I don't think it's a terribly big deal since I don't view Vinny as enough of an asset to swing the value of the deal, and nasboat ate his salary anyway so he's not getting cap relief. It's something we need a handle on big picture, though.

nasboat posted:

:rolleyes:

not the first guy to flip a 10/5 guy elsewhere, but since, you know, we Win So Many Things in this world we'd better watch me extra close

Do you have examples handy of someone serving strictly as a middleman to skirt a NTC clause to no benefit of their own? Because I don't remember that ever happening, though maybe I'm wrong.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

AlleyViper posted:

Do you have examples handy of someone serving strictly as a middleman to skirt a NTC clause to no benefit of their own? Because I don't remember that ever happening, though maybe I'm wrong.

no probably not I've just seen it discussed numerous times and I'm sure if you researched you could find guys who were traded, had the rights broken and then flipped. perhaps not in this specific scenario.

either way I don't really give a poo poo anymore, y'all do what you want

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

I should've just waited 20 games until the waiver order reset and Vinny would take a trade to Charlotte and then no one would complain, but I figured doing it quicker and TMB getting a couple of pieces (I honestly thought he was also getting Grebeck out of this, too) for facilitating was a win for everyone

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah if TMB were getting Grebeck or something out of it I wouldn't have thought twice about it.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:
TMB was suppose to (according to nasboat) but then TMB offered a trade without Grebeck and I countered because TMB forgot the money.

I can give Grebck to TMB if that makes everyone happy, I don't mind.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

the entire deal was supposed to be

To Charlotte: Tomas Matos, Vinny Stewart (via LAA), Jade Waner

To Seattle: Grant Duvall, Bruce Shaw, Julio Moraga, Marcos Hill

To Los Angeles: Morgan Grebeck (via CHA), Addison Clapp

and yes the deal was made like that to get around Vinny's 10/5 rights, while TMB picks up two pieces for facilitating and giving up an AAAA reliever

so I guess we should be up front about which game mechanics it's okay to exploit and which ones that aren't okay to exploit and get it all out there

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
I didn't even know I was supposed to get something out of this

Clearly I/we should've brought this to the table for discussion among the crowd since precedent is unclear. Apologies for mishandling.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

ThatsMyBoye posted:

I didn't even know I was supposed to get something out of this

Clearly I/we should've brought this to the table for discussion among the crowd since precedent is unclear. Apologies for mishandling.

I went back and looked and I did mention that you'd get Grebeck and something from Charlotte for facilitating and giving up Hill, but then again it was late at night right before you were going to bed and everything was still unclear at that point on the Charlotte side

I think if we were more open about it in thread/world chat or whatever, there wouldn't be much of a problem, because as laid out above, I think the trade is fine on talent returns all the way around (esp. with Vinny's money covered). Unless people were really up in arms about the whole 'getting around the 10/5' thing (which again could have also been solved by the new waiver order, depending on how mine and Charlotte's seasons started). I don't find it to be that big of a deal because it could still be done by others, I didn't think it was a big secret that 10/5 rights disappear after one trade (since the 5 no longer exists).

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

nasboat posted:

so I guess we should be up front about which game mechanics it's okay to exploit and which ones that aren't okay to exploit and get it all out there

I mean, it's not exploiting anything if TMB's getting involved in the trade with the intent of getting something in return, so

nasboat posted:

I didn't think it was a big secret that 10/5 rights disappear after one trade (since the 5 no longer exists).

It's not a secret and obviously wasn't the point, either

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

AlleyViper posted:

It's not a secret and obviously wasn't the point, either

Yeah, it's not like TMB picked a guy up and then flipped him for another asset. This trade was done strictly to circumvent the mechanics of the game.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

EvilBeard posted:

Yeah, it's not like TMB picked a guy up and then flipped him for another asset. This trade was done strictly to circumvent the mechanics of the game.

except that he's getting Grebeck out of it (I would assume that Charlotte is going to send him there) and therefore he gets something for circumventing said mechanic?

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

nasboat posted:

except that he's getting Grebeck out of it (I would assume that Charlotte is going to send him there) and therefore he gets something for circumventing said mechanic?

he is now, I'm just talking about the trade "as is".

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

EvilBeard posted:

he is now, I'm just talking about the trade "as is".

He was always suppose to, it was just miss communicated to me.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

I wasn't overly outraged about it before, but I have to say the dismissive and flippant attitude is pretty frustrating. There is endless complaining about the injustices of HBD but to blatantly skirt the game mechanics just because they are inconvenient is - to be quite honest - absolute loving bullshit. On top of gaming the FA system to save a few million, I think it would behoove parties to realize this is at best unprecedented and at worst unethical and we address this as a league. But it's more than a little disappointing to encounter an attitude of "well it's probably been done and honestly who cares?"

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

you can address it to me specifically, I'm the only one who hasn't been overly apologetic about it, the other two have been more than helpful. But god knows *I* won't be doing any of this again, so at least that's one problem solved. And if it causes the world to look closer and set some ground rules about things up front, that's great.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Like others have said I wouldn't have looked twice if Grebeck was involved because I thought it was supposed to be a three way trade in the first place. As it was laid out though TMB was actually losing value just to be the middleman in breaking 10/5 rights.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

nasboat posted:

you can address it to me specifically, I'm the only one who hasn't been overly apologetic about it, the other two have been more than helpful. But god knows *I* won't be doing any of this again, so at least that's one problem solved. And if it causes the world to look closer and set some ground rules about things up front, that's great.

e: I apologize, my reply was out of line. And it's gone now.

Capt Murphy fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 2, 2014

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

This is kind of a tough HOF year. Right now I'm on:

Alan High
Omar Melendez
Ken Toombs
Eddie Burke
Davey Krause

But I could definitely be swayed to some other guys.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
i don't care what his stats are or that i'm way better off saving the prospect money, i'm signing Vladimir Guerrero

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

AlleyViper posted:

Alan High
Omar Melendez
Ken Toombs
Eddie Burke
Davey Krause

This is mine except replace High with Mateo Cordero, my good friend.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

AlleyViper posted:

Alan High
Omar Melendez
Ken Toombs
Eddie Burke
Davey Krause

I have Melendez, Toombs and Burker. But than I have Cosby and Francisco Ramirez in place of High and Krause.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

vote justin cosby

i will not rest until justin cosby is in the HOF

i don't care if his resume is garbage, let's be irrational about this

also never vote paul donovan ever. gently caress paul donovan.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

nasboat posted:

vote justin cosby

i will not rest until justin cosby is in the HOF

i don't care if his resume is garbage, let's be irrational about this

also never vote paul donovan ever. gently caress paul donovan.

The Paul Donovan for HOF Bandwagon starts right here. :bandwagon:

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

The Mark Cobb for HOF has to start this year as well. He is the pitching version of McKay Duffy, and i will not rest until he's made it. Hopefully he retires a Vandelay after this season.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

ArtVandelay posted:

The Mark Cobb for HOF has to start this year as well. He is the pitching version of McKay Duffy, and i will not rest until he's made it. Hopefully he retires a Vandelay after this season.

Nnnnnaaahhhhhhh

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

ArtVandelay posted:

You're a jerk for signing him before I could but I would have had to waive him anyway

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Scrotos posted:

I have Melendez, Toombs and Burker. But than I have Cosby and Francisco Ramirez in place of High and Krause.

Man, you were one of the Alan High leaders for forever you can't get off the wagon now

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

Davey Krause
Omar Melendez
Ken Toombs
Alan High
Ivan Manuel

It's time to get a Beaver into the hall.

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

Going with:

Melendez
Toombs
Burke
Manuel
Ramirez (Don't give him too much of a hard time for playing in Coors, he owned drat it)

I'd vote for High if I had a sixth vote.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
I know there's no rhyme or reason to spring training schedules, but I just came off 10 road games in a row, 8 of them against NL teams, and that seems like a lot

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

My pitching staff heading into this season might be the best one i've ever constructed

Raul Bethancourt
Daniel Ramirez
Erubiel Beltre (currently injured for another 3 weeks)
Darin Rauch
Ahmed Hubbard

Relievers
David Gomez
Richard Wang
Teddy Blake
Mark Cobb
Victor Tavarez
Houston Strickland
Jackie Eyre
Pedro Molina
Endy Mori

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
congrats in advance on your 12th 100-loss Dimaggio season, Art!

congrarts

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

congarts

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

uublog posted:

congrats in advance on your 12th 100-loss Dimaggio season, Art!

congrarts

I'm going to make the playoffs in Clemens, probably with under 70 wins, and you'll never be able to take that away from me :)

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

f art

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

ArtVandelay posted:

I'm going to make the playoffs in Clemens, probably with under 70 wins, and you'll never be able to take that away from me :)

Meanwhile I'm on pace for 90+ wins and fighting for my playoff life.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

ArtVandelay posted:

My pitching staff heading into this season might be the best one i've ever constructed

Raul Bethancourt
Daniel Ramirez
Erubiel Beltre (currently injured for another 3 weeks)
Darin Rauch
Ahmed Hubbard

Relievers
David Gomez
Richard Wang
Teddy Blake
Mark Cobb
Victor Tavarez
Houston Strickland
Jackie Eyre
Pedro Molina
Endy Mori

Ew Dick Wang's still kicking around

A pitching staff with Dick Wang and Mark "Mark loving Cobb" Cobb = not a very good pitching staff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

ArtVandelay posted:

Fun fact: the only teams you have a better record are the three others in the AL East and the team the scrotos took over. You're tied with Fresno for 5th-worst record. You're on pace for 64.8 wins, which means you have to finish the season 19-33 or better to not lose 100 here, too. Oh my god that division is so abysmal.

• Locked thread