Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

tesilential posted:

If Apple made a car it would be governed to do no more than 70 MPH or whatever the legal max is in the region. Give me the F***n choice!

Oh man is it 1995 already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

tesilential posted:

If Apple made a car it would be governed to do no more than 70 MPH or whatever the legal max is in the region. Give me the F***n choice!

If Microsoft built cars
1. A model year wouldn't be available until AFTER that
calendar year.
2. Every time they repainted the lines on the road, you'd
have to buy a new car.
3. Occasionally your car would just die for no reason, you'd
have to restart it. For some strange reason, you would just
accept this.
4. You could only have one person at a time in your car,
unless you bought a Car 95 or a Car NT, but then you'd
have to buy more seats.
5. Sun Motor systems would make a car that was solar
powered, twice as reliable, 5 times as fast, but only ran
on 5% of the roads.
6. The oil, alternator, gas, engine warning lights would be
replaced with a single "General Car Fault" warning light.
7. People would get excited about the "new" features in
Microsoft cars, forgetting completely that they had been
available in other brands for years.
8. We'd all have to switch to Microsoft Gas (tm).

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Le0 posted:

I guess I need more RAM basically? Is there anything else I could do?

That doesn't look like RAM starvation. I mean, you could use definitely use more RAM, but you're only 200-300M into a swap file and are still using memory as a file cache meaning what's in swap is probably something that isn't actively running much at all.

tesilential posted:

I had already planned on grabbing a Korean 27" IPS 1440P or a refurb 28" 4K for around $320. Are you saying those will work without a hitch? My PC use is pretty simple, and it gets a bit grating for Apple to enforce so many regulations.

I feel your pain as I have an older Apple dual DVI 30" 2560x1600 monitor that Apple hasn't let me play iTunes HD content on for years. On the other hand, the 90's called and they'd like their VGA monitor back.

From a little googling, you may be ok using something like Firefox for now or your Chrome workaround, but eventually they'll switch everything over to HDCP-protected HTML5 video.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
^^^Thanks for the helpful post!

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Calm down weirdo.

:lol:

Guys I'm not worked up or in a bad mood at all, well no worse than I am during any other work shift.

Please understand my sole complaint is several things went from "IT JUST WORKS" to "IT DOESN'T WORK ANYMORE" for seemingly no reason.

And I know it's an old crappy monitor but Apple doesn't benefit at all from making old crappy monitors obselete since a guy using a throwaway monitor is obviously not going to jump to the most overpriced monitors on the market.

tesilential fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 4, 2014

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bob Morales posted:

If Microsoft built cars
1. A model year wouldn't be available until AFTER that
calendar year.
2. Every time they repainted the lines on the road, you'd
have to buy a new car.
3. Occasionally your car would just die for no reason, you'd
have to restart it. For some strange reason, you would just
accept this.
4. You could only have one person at a time in your car,
unless you bought a Car 95 or a Car NT, but then you'd
have to buy more seats.
5. Sun Motor systems would make a car that was solar
powered, twice as reliable, 5 times as fast, but only ran
on 5% of the roads.
6. The oil, alternator, gas, engine warning lights would be
replaced with a single "General Car Fault" warning light.
7. People would get excited about the "new" features in
Microsoft cars, forgetting completely that they had been
available in other brands for years.
8. We'd all have to switch to Microsoft Gas (tm).

I wasn't comparing Apple and MS but you could swap in Apple for Microsoft and 6 of 8 of those would still be true.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

tesilential posted:

I wasn't comparing Apple and MS but you could swap in Apple for Microsoft and 6 of 8 of those would still be true.

Christ. It really is 1995.

So is there a twitter client that doesn't eventually eat up all available ram after a day or so? Not that quitting a twitter client periodically is a huge issue or anything, but it's pretty annoying in general.

It's weirdly difficult to find something that just sits quietly in a corner and shows tweets.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

tesilential posted:

And I know it's an old crappy monitor but Apple doesn't benefit at all from making old crappy monitors obselete since a guy using a throwaway monitor is obviously not going to jump to the most overpriced monitors on the market.

Right, which is why it has absolutely nothing to do with Apple wanting to sell you a new monitor and everything to do with rights holders requiring HDCP be used for their protected high-definition content.

HDCP's been implemented in OS X for the better part of a decade. It did not suddenly appear with your Yosemite upgrade. Netflix's recent abandonment of Silverlight (and resultant quality increase) simply brought it into your life.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Molten Llama posted:

HDCP's been implemented in OS X for the better part of a decade. It did not suddenly appear with your Yosemite upgrade. Netflix's recent abandonment of Silverlight (and resultant quality increase) simply brought it into your life.

As somebody who's used DVI monitors for the past decade I literally never noticed that this was even a thing.

Moral of the story: stop using a 1990s beige CRT monitor, tesilential.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Zenostein posted:

Christ. It really is 1995.

So is there a twitter client that doesn't eventually eat up all available ram after a day or so? Not that quitting a twitter client periodically is a huge issue or anything, but it's pretty annoying in general.

It's weirdly difficult to find something that just sits quietly in a corner and shows tweets.

Does the official twitter client balloon out too? I can't say I've ever really had a problem with the bone stock Twitter app and that's what I've been using since forever.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Martytoof posted:

Does the official twitter client balloon out too? I can't say I've ever really had a problem with the bone stock Twitter app and that's what I've been using since forever.

It starts getting really cloggy after about a month of being open, but frankly so will almost anything.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
FYI, tesilential, you can also double click the window title bar to get the original window resize behavior if you want to save yourself the trouble of holding the option key.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
I can't seem to get a 5TB USB drive to connect into a VMWare Fusion Windows 7 VM? Anyone else experience this issue.

edit: Nevermind got it working.

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 5, 2014

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

Choadmaster posted:

FYI, tesilential, you can also double click the window title bar to get the original window resize behavior if you want to save yourself the trouble of holding the option key.

Oh nice. I'm glad they changed that from minimize.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I always preferred the maximize behavior of the various WinSplit Revolution-alikes like Spectacle anyway, to be honest.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Molten Llama posted:

Right, which is why it has absolutely nothing to do with Apple wanting to sell you a new monitor and everything to do with rights holders requiring HDCP be used for their protected high-definition content.

Except that I don't think DRM'ed HTML video was supported pre-Safari 8 so the upgrade to Yosemite is probably what triggered Netflix to not use Silverlight. So another option might be to turn on the Develop menu in Safari and change the User Agent header to an older version of Safari. Long term the abandonment of Silverlight by Microsoft means eventually everything needs to be HDCP to support DRM HTML5 video, but Netflix could push it out a while since I think MS isn't ending support until 2021 (though probably sooner on Mac since Mac support has always been a bit lackluster.)

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

fordan posted:

That doesn't look like RAM starvation. I mean, you could use definitely use more RAM, but you're only 200-300M into a swap file and are still using memory as a file cache meaning what's in swap is probably something that isn't actively running much at all.

Argh so its CPU, I thought having full RAM would be more of a bottleneck.
So basically I cannot really do anything about this besides restarting Chrome from time to time and do with the slow downs?

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

fordan posted:

Except that I don't think DRM'ed HTML video was supported pre-Safari 8 so the upgrade to Yosemite is probably what triggered Netflix to not use Silverlight. So another option might be to turn on the Develop menu in Safari and change the User Agent header to an older version of Safari. Long term the abandonment of Silverlight by Microsoft means eventually everything needs to be HDCP to support DRM HTML5 video, but Netflix could push it out a while since I think MS isn't ending support until 2021 (though probably sooner on Mac since Mac support has always been a bit lackluster.)

Chrome for OSX has also dropped support for silverlight as of 39, so that will also be an issue there as well.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm running 10.10.1 on an iMac and I use the sliding tiles screensaver, pointed to a google drive folder of .jpgs. I set this up and it works, but then without rebooting, overnight it will change back to the National Geographic set of images. I've changed this a dozen times and it never sticks - does anyone know how I can fix this so it uses the google drive images?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Maybe it initializes the pictures before the boot or something, before it has a chance to connect to the drive?

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

thegreatcodfish posted:

Same, that's awesome.

Is there a quicker way to access a minimized window than four finger swipe down on same application or right clicking application on dock and show all windows?

Is there a way to tab between seperate safari windows? I'd love to be able to "command + tab" between safari windows but it just tabs between applications.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Command + ~ (tilde)

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Le0 posted:

Argh so its CPU, I thought having full RAM would be more of a bottleneck.
So basically I cannot really do anything about this besides restarting Chrome from time to time and do with the slow downs?

RAM will likely help - the VM compressor has to work overtime when you're overcomitted like that, and that uses up CPU.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Mail.app is such a piece of poo poo. Since whenever fullscreen was introduced, I've used it in fullscreen mode as the rightmost space. With Mavericks, I've noticed that Mail randomly moves itself with respect to other spaces. I think I've finally figured out when it happens: If I'm currently using Mail, and I command-tab over to a window that is not in the adjacent space, when I swipe through spaces, Mail will have moved itself next to the space I just tabbed over to. Goddamn it's annoying. I need to find a new mail client.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

Kobayashi posted:

Mail.app is such a piece of poo poo. Since whenever fullscreen was introduced, I've used it in fullscreen mode as the rightmost space. With Mavericks, I've noticed that Mail randomly moves itself with respect to other spaces. I think I've finally figured out when it happens: If I'm currently using Mail, and I command-tab over to a window that is not in the adjacent space, when I swipe through spaces, Mail will have moved itself next to the space I just tabbed over to. Goddamn it's annoying. I need to find a new mail client.

Check your Mission Control settings. There is an option that stops spaces from moving around like that.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

thegreatcodfish posted:

Check your Mission Control settings. There is an option that stops spaces from moving around like that.

:suicide:

I hate computers.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I'm looking to reformat my computer since I've just been imaging my iOS to new computers since 2008 and while this might come as a surprise my computer has become a tiny bit unstable. I've go a time machine backup, but I can't find much information about using it when reformatting an image but not actually just restoring the computer. Would it be trivial to use the Time Machine backup from a clean install To pull select files/music/documents or does it only work with an image?

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

Kobayashi posted:

:suicide:

I hate computers.

I feel that it would be a great system if you could also lock spaces. The interface would be awful, but an option to 'always be to the left/right' a certain space, or always be the first/last/arbitrary # space would be great.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
So I'm using OSX to copy roughly 3TB of files from two external hard disks to one hard drive.

How would I go about doing a file copy check which will compare two volumes/directories, and copy over any missing files in terminal?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
rsync -azP path/to/external/hd /path/to/local/drive

wolffenstein fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 6, 2014

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

wolffenstein posted:

rsync -azP path/to/external/hd /path/to/local/drive

So I seen to of run it succesfully but when I do a run get file, there seems to be a different total file count. Is this due to pehaps the hidden finder files?

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

lol internet. posted:

So I seen to of run it succesfully but when I do a run get file, there seems to be a different total file count. Is this due to pehaps the hidden finder files?

Is one of your volumes (presumably your destination volume) not formatted HFS+? Do you have permissions for all of the files you are trying to rsync?

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I'm looking to reformat my computer since I've just been imaging my iOS to new computers since 2008 and while this might come as a surprise my computer has become a tiny bit unstable. I've go a time machine backup, but I can't find much information about using it when reformatting an image but not actually just restoring the computer. Would it be trivial to use the Time Machine backup from a clean install To pull select files/music/documents or does it only work with an image?

You can selectively restore files from a Time Machine backup using the Time Machine restore interface, Finder drag-copy, or Terminal (via tmutil).

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Shin-chan posted:

Is one of your volumes (presumably your destination volume) not formatted HFS+? Do you have permissions for all of the files you are trying to rsync?

Both are NTFS USB drives. Connected through Tuxera NTFS. The destination was freshly formatted, initially I was doing the file copy through Finder (Copy/Paste) but it was interrupted halfway so perhaps this is why there is a lock icon on them. I will delete them and try again.

edit: I think it might be that, looks like it's working.

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 6, 2014

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

thegreatcodfish posted:

Get BetterSnapTool. You can customize what all of these window buttons and actions do.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Guess which Spotlight window is with "Increased Contract" ticked?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
Anyone have any pointers to some timer software that I can control with applescript? Ideally it'd be something where I could start with applescript(or any other programmatic method) and then when the timer expires, arbitrary actions could be performed. Preferably I'd like a HUD like interface that could be persistently on top but that would be a nice to have, not a requirement. There seem to be a bunch of software that does timers but I haven't come across any that I can program with Applescript.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

For anyone annoyed with the new fullscreen thing, buy Moom, it's great and it can snap windows to a predefined grid. Bought it last week and I'd highly recommend it but there's a free trial!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Ugh.

Has anyone heard anything to indicate that Apple is looking into the bug in Yosemite where discoveryd keeps waking up the computer to rebroadcast and/or update discovery data in spite of that data being 100% worthless to everyone involved?

I've scoured the web to keep it from doing so and the “best” one so far includes crippling discoveryd to the point where it no longer discovers things like Airports, Mac shares, and the other stuff you'd probably want to access over your LAN. I've also seen a slightly hackish solution where a new service to detect sleeps and wakes and toggle discoveryd on or off accordingly, but it doesn't seem to be very robust.

It would just be so very nice if my Mac could sleep until I wake it liked it used to, rather than have these silly (and obviously bugged) ideas of its own.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

For anyone annoyed with the new fullscreen thing, buy Moom, it's great and it can snap windows to a predefined grid. Bought it last week and I'd highly recommend it but there's a free trial!

Also, BetterTouchTool has some simple snap features and is free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I've got a loving stupid question.

I'm new to using Time Machine but I've got some successful backups going. The other day I changed the location of my iTunes library, we're talking about 50gb of music being moved to a new folder. Time Machine of course sees this as 50gb of brand new files to sync to my backup, but I see that as a WASTE of 50gb of space on my backup drive, especially considering I prefer the new location of the files vs the old location.

Is there a way I can trim or otherwise remove the old iTunes directory from the backup so as to not have an extra 50gb being taken up in my Time Machine? I understand Time Machine is "just doing it's job" here but it should understand a directory change is not a new segment of data, this seems like not a very intelligent way of backing up...