Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So you are saying my new state of the art gaming console can't keep up with wifi standards? :( That makes me a little sad. I'll need to arrange some way to knock out all these DLs via ethernet cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

superh posted:

I am, "I couldn't suspend my disbelief because of x" sends me into an absolute frothing blind rage.

Their reason for not including women models because "it doesn't matter, you never choose your model and in fact always appear to yourself as the main character" is truly a point worthy of derision.

I thought their actual, stated reason was that women are hard and representing them would take some degree of cost and effort.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Probad posted:

I thought their actual, stated reason was that women are hard and representing them would take some degree of cost and effort.

Which was a dumb as dogshit excuse because there are already a ton of playable female character skins and models from throughout the franchise's multiplayer history. What, are they afraid an animation won't line up right in hyper polished flawlessly slick graphics Assassin's Creed Unity? :wtc:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I haven't played much of Dragon Age: Inquisition yet, but apparently the female characters use the same animations as the males and it can result in some incongruous poses (obviously not actually a huge deal).

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

Neo Rasa posted:

Which was a dumb as dogshit excuse because there are already a ton of playable female character skins and models from throughout the franchise's multiplayer history. What, are they afraid an animation won't line up right in hyper polished flawlessly slick graphics Assassin's Creed Unity? :wtc:

Given how much of a tire fire Unity has been for Ubisoft, I'm actually more willing to believe that they just couldn't get women right. They don't seem to have been able to get much of anything else right either.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Probad posted:

Relative to the fact outlined in my post - you never choose your multiplayer persona and in fact always appear to yourself as the main character, other players get other models and going through the mocap / modeling rigamarole to throw in other mocap for variety (female or otherwise) wouldn't be worth the effort. Unity is a coop only game.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

BabyRyoga posted:

Just got my ps4 and powered it on for the first time.

Apparently, it'll take 83 hours to download The Last of Us Remastered. Are the ps4's wifi capabilities THAT lovely, or is there some kind of network problem right now? For reference, using my laptop at the same distance the ps4 is positioned from the router would take maybe 2 or 3 hours to finish a download of that magnitude given full speed.

Try http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/67931540

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah you can. Pretty much every game that uses in engine cutscenes does it. Look at every other Naughty Dog game as an example.

Naughty Dog has previously used in-engine FMVs that were pre-rendered to look better than what the hardware was capable of, but multiple reliable reports (http://gearnuke.com/pre-rendered-cutscenes-naughty-dog-starting-uncharted-4-report/) have revealed that Naughty Dog is abandoning that process in favour of completely real-time cutscenes from U4 and onwards, with the E3 trailer expressly stated to be completely real-time.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

BabyRyoga posted:

So you are saying my new state of the art gaming console can't keep up with wifi standards? :( That makes me a little sad. I'll need to arrange some way to knock out all these DLs via ethernet cable.

The difference between my Xbone and PS4 speeds is quite sizable I have found. I wish Sony would stop skimping on wifi cards, but I understand that its to keep console costs low.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
It was just just lovely all around. They couldn't put much effort into coop, but they could put in the effort to model a bunch of useless buildings for background. In this case, it was a matter of priorities.

I brought up the developer and PS4 power thing because The Evil Within runs like poo poo and this is despite having two black bars covering the screen. The graphics aren't anything to write home about either.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

I said come in! posted:

Games actually don't do this though. I don't know where this myth came from? Like, okay, Naughty Dog maybe does it? But a handful of games across 10 years of PS3 titles doesn't mean every single game does it.

It's not a Playstation game but the 3DS Super Smash Bros does this and it's a REALLY noticeable difference if you compare a screenshot of a paused game to a screenshot of an ongoing match. The models look way different

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Did this last night and it didn't work for me. :( I have CoX Communications for my ISP. These download speeds are beyond frustrating.

Tribal Rival
Oct 5, 2008

I am this fiery snail crawling home
My square button is sticking really bad. Anyone have a fix for that?

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol

Splits posted:

My square button is sticking really bad. Anyone have a fix for that?

I spilled a Guiness on my controller and my R1 L1 triggers stuck REALLY bad. I took some hand sanitizer on a q-tip and lightly applied it to the seam while pressing them to distribute it.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I am not impressed with the controls for Injustice. The timing for the combos is weird, and I can't complete the tutorial because I can't perform a block reversal.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

the truth posted:

I am not impressed with the controls for Injustice. The timing for the combos is weird, and I can't complete the tutorial because I can't perform a block reversal.

Yeah, block reversal took me forever to figure out. Just gotta keep trying till you get lucky. Or just not do the tutorials.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

I spilled a Guiness on my controller and my R1 L1 triggers stuck REALLY bad. I took some hand sanitizer on a q-tip and lightly applied it to the seam while pressing them to distribute it.

I splilled beer on the d-pad and it kept making sticky noises until I took it apart and cleaned it properly. Couldn't clean it well enough without doing that.

Lesson: beer and controllers are a bad mix.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

boz posted:

Yeah, block reversal took me forever to figure out. Just gotta keep trying till you get lucky. Or just not do the tutorials.

You have to press it before the enemy grab animation hits you. So WAY faster then I can do without trying 10x in the tutorial.

Just skip the rest of the tutorial, you wont be able to pull off those moves either. The singleplayer is fun without them. Try it out. The game will also lower the difficulty if you get your rear end kicked so you wont be stuck forever anywhere.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

BabyRyoga posted:

Start and stop it, you may have gotten a bad server. My wifi is great, my wired is ~15% faster and neither will use more that 35% of available bandwidth at any time which is the most annoying part.

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

He is right that some games (REMake, Far Cry, Witcher? and I think Uncharted series also) has a higher detail set of in game models that are there just to be used in the in-game cutscenes, separate from any FMV stuff. So it is possible that when you're actually controlling Drake and running around it doesn't look quite that good, but the idea is that in actual gameplay it would be difficult to perceive the difference.

GTA5 does as well doesn't it? I could be imagining things, but the people in cutscenes (facial expressions/definitions at least anyway) look more detailed compared to when when you're driving around the open world with them in the car.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

blackguy32 posted:

I remember spending a entire afternoon downloading the Counterstrike mod and another day downloading a half-life update. My parents used to get mad at me for tying up the phone line.

But I did have some drat fond memories of playing PSO late at night when they weren't expecting phone calls.

Mine was Diablo 1 over direct dialup with my friend across the highway, it was magical post 12:30am time, after the parents goto bed and I just wait for the direct connect to happen, until I forgot to tell him after a disconnect on AIM, that I was going to bed. I got my "phone call" from the DCCIP thing diablo used at 4:00am, that was fun and ended that run of gaming.

blackguy32 posted:

What the hell happened with Evil Within? The frame rate is pretty bad for a game that looks the way it does and has those black bars across the screen.

Also, I apparently suck, I died within the first 5 minutes of actual gameplay :(

I feel with the 1920x800 that studios are using for cinematic effect, and better image quality, while taking more resources sounds odd, for a design choice. Why not use 1920x1080 for less resources, no need for AA on a native 1080 resolution display, lord knows the plebs can't tell the difference. I heard it was a choice by Shinji himself for a more claustrophobic or scarier feel? I dislike it, and while I loved the first initial playthrough, I have avoided it since for any trophies or just fun, for whatever loving reason. I just hope TEW doesn't end up as a deadrising2 in my collection. (I hardily played while paying fullprice)

shmee posted:

I splilled beer on the d-pad and it kept making sticky noises until I took it apart and cleaned it properly. Couldn't clean it well enough without doing that.

Lesson: beer and controllers are a bad mix.
Please tell this to my brother in 2001, somehow. He hosed over 2/4 N64 controllers we owned. It sucks, still.

Mootallica posted:

GTA5 does as well doesn't it? I could be imagining things, but the people in cutscenes (facial expressions/definitions at least anyway) look more detailed compared to when when you're driving around the open world with them in the car.

If they are wearing what costume you have the character in, at the time, it is real time rendering, taking less resources but typically looks worse, while pre-rendered always have the same outfit and won't change with anything (looks amazing).

I'm 99.9% uncharted was all pre-rendered since I think they did their character models with 4k textures, giving the opportunity to have levels loading behind the movie, as you play. I have no idea on GTA5 just because it looks so drat good in real time but I have a hard time thinking R* would dedicated the memory to a 4k texture to one character model, unless they have some nice wizardry with whom the 4k is applied too, at the time of real time rendering.

Scyron fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 5, 2014

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Titan Attacks feels and plays like a $2 Android game. Not offensive or bad, quick game to 100% (no platinum) as long as you're able to catch 100 parachuting aliens with your ship without going mad, I guess it's got that going for it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

tombraider psn sale this week is a bad deal if you can wait for disk delivery. You can get it for 19 from amazon used and the sell back price at gamestop is just under 10 bucks right now for credit 8 for cash while amazon is doing 12 in credit.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 5, 2014

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

James Woods Fan posted:

The difference between my Xbone and PS4 speeds is quite sizable I have found. I wish Sony would stop skimping on wifi cards, but I understand that its to keep console costs low.

It's more to do with having the antenna close to the electrically noisy bits and having to switch between the Bluetooth and wifi radios extremely quickly without losing any response. You should also know that we consider wifi absolutely lovely in the networking industry and barely fit for bad posting.

The xboxone controller uses a proprietory radio interface, so not so much switching, and definitely not in the mutually detrimental fashion that wifi and Bluetooth do.

Be careful of poo poo like baby monitors, they'll usually tank wifi as they tend to be noisy.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Titan Attacks was fun. I made it to the second boss and died horribly.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Well that beats on-plane WiiU play.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MrLonghair posted:

Well that beats on-plane WiiU play.
What's the power source for the PS4? I have never seen a normal wall outlet on an airplane.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Samurai Sanders posted:

What's the power source? I have never seen a normal wall outlet on an airplane.

fly forward of coach

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Real hurthling! posted:

fly forward of coach
Well, I guess I know first class exists on an intellectual level...

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

a few lines have them in economy class but often its like a share with 20 other people kind of deal. worst case scenario its a dc outlet and you need an adapter.

regular outlets in every seat will get more common as fleets get updated to newer planes i reckon.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

blackguy32 posted:

What the hell happened with Evil Within? The frame rate is pretty bad for a game that looks the way it does and has those black bars across the screen.

Also, I apparently suck, I died within the first 5 minutes of actual gameplay :(

Nah, you are just going to die a lot in the game until you unlock some bigger weapons.

The little handgun they start you with is basically garbage until you start adding damage multipliers to it.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Real hurthling! posted:

a few lines have them in economy class but often its like a share with 20 other people kind of deal. worst case scenario its a dc outlet and you need an adapter.

regular outlets in every seat will get more common as fleets get updated to newer planes i reckon.

Air Canada had them (2 for each 3 seats) on most of their flights I've taken, but no US airline has had them in coach as far as I remember.

edit: I flew on one of United's newest planes recently and they did not have them.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Samurai Sanders posted:

What's the power source for the PS4? I have never seen a normal wall outlet on an airplane.

Dude is flying Virgin Air, which does a good job of being tech-forward (the in-seat infotainment setup there and in-seat food ordering is an example).

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Still in-game, still rendered in real time, still a valid example of the hardware. You can't just magically make a game look better beyond what the hardware can do just because you call it a cutscene. I don't know where you're getting the idea that it wasn't in-game gameplay, it absolutely was.

lol

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Real hurthling! posted:

United usually has them but once you sit down you can't see where the hell they are. I always saw it posted they had power but never found them till a couple flights ago.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

I said come in! posted:

Still in-game, still rendered in real time, still a valid example of the hardware. You can't just magically make a game look better beyond what the hardware can do just because you call it a cutscene. I don't know where you're getting the idea that it wasn't in-game gameplay, it absolutely was.

"in-engine" isn't the same thing as "in-game" -- just because the console can process and render the visuals doesn't mean it can do so while the actual game is being played at the same time. poo poo there are in-engine tech demos for the PS3 that still look better than games we have now

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

JHVH-1 posted:

United usually has them but once you sit down you can't see where the hell they are. I always saw it posted they had power but never found them till a couple flights ago.

Yeah United eco class it's under the pull down arm rest between the seats.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Yeah, Uncharted 4 was absolutely not in-game. It was a single character model, in a small area with set lighting and camera, no physics or AI, etc. Naughty Dog are great, but the game won't look like that when gameplay comes out.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Ometeotl posted:

Yeah, Uncharted 4 was absolutely not in-game. It was a single character model, in a small area with set lighting and camera, no physics or AI, etc. Naughty Dog are great, but the game won't look like that when gameplay comes out.

It was also shown over a year before the game's eventual release date. It may very well look that good. The games industry has had plenty of people claiming a game 'will never look that good' who have been shown to be wrong, especially where ND is concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just double checked and GTA online is still basically the shittiest thing ever. I have no idea how anyone enjoys it.

• Locked thread