Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just as a thought; Seeing as the series is only going as far as the Nationals this time, what are the odds that Sunrise is going to try and save the World Cup for a movie? They usually try to pull a movie finale out of most Gundam series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just as a thought; Seeing as the series is only going as far as the Nationals this time, what are the odds that Sunrise is going to try and save the World Cup for a movie? They usually try to pull a movie finale out of most Gundam series.

That could actually be good if the writing doesn't poo poo the bed which it probably would for reasons no one ever really understands.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm going to guess that Fumina will have to get a new gunpla now, since the Winning pretty much got trashed.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

-Troika- posted:

I'm going to guess that Fumina will have to get a new gunpla now, since the Winning pretty much got trashed.

it was damage mode B so there's no actual consequences for the fights unlike the first show

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
In actual teams with teamwork people don't usually care about who scores the points or lands the finishing blows, so 'Sekai was the final one to punch them' isn't really relevant as opposed to 'How much did each contribute to the overall victory, and how well did they work together.'

This really was Yuuma's best episode ever since he actually joined Team Try. On the other hand Fumina was kinda reduced to a one-time shield and a parts-dispenser again.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

muike posted:

it was damage mode B so there's no actual consequences for the fights unlike the first show

No they do take some degree of damage, but it's like some fraction of what would occur. Mantis Guy got a leg blown off of his despite it being set to B.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No they do take some degree of damage, but it's like some fraction of what would occur. Mantis Guy got a leg blown off of his despite it being set to B.

It's really unclear because we see the Build Burning take heavy damage but then they don't even acknowledge it, which is weird because Sekai has only ever built one gunpla and you'd think with some sort of super advanced gunpla he'd need some help to fix it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

muike posted:

Which really kind of takes some of the impact out of Yuuma's whole willingness to sacrifice his Artistic Grand Prix winning model because "I'm a FIGHTER!"

The more I think about it, the more the Damage Level crutch annoys me from a storytelling perspective. I can understand in-universe why it would be a thing, but it's way more effective at taking the tension out of the fights than the team being the protagonists, and thus needing to win to advance the plot.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I agree and it's one of the bigger flaws of the show.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

What I don't understand is that if you have the capability to set the damage to negligible levels, why would you ever set it at anything else?

Do they think making people waste time repairing their models over and over is a good idea or something?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Srice posted:

It's really unclear because we see the Build Burning take heavy damage but then they don't even acknowledge it, which is weird because Sekai has only ever built one gunpla and you'd think with some sort of super advanced gunpla he'd need some help to fix it.

The BBG took heavy simulated damage. The damage to the physical model was milder and easier to fix.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

The BBG took heavy simulated damage. The damage to the physical model was milder and easier to fix.

I think this right here is why I find the damage level system to be insanely dumb.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

W.T. Fits posted:

The more I think about it, the more the Damage Level crutch annoys me from a storytelling perspective. I can understand in-universe why it would be a thing, but it's way more effective at taking the tension out of the fights than the team being the protagonists, and thus needing to win to advance the plot.

I reckon Sunrise forced it upon the writers to remove all that drat downtime so the gunpla get more screentime to sell toys with the fights can take up more screentime.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

In actual teams with teamwork people don't usually care about who scores the points or lands the finishing blows, so 'Sekai was the final one to punch them' isn't really relevant as opposed to 'How much did each contribute to the overall victory, and how well did they work together.'

That's certainly true in the real world or teamwork in principle, but it's also really boring to watch. Sekai's kung fu gimmick is hitting build knuckle territory now several episodes ago, and it's also coming at the cost of us not really knowing anything about what the Lightning or Winning can do. Lightning has a gun and can turn into a jet that fires the typical useless gundam missiles. Winning blows itself up to be parts for the other two. For how much they've been on screen, relatively speaking, we've seen basically nothing of them, and we're well past the coy "What can they do I wonder?" point.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I reckon Sunrise forced it upon the writers to remove all that drat downtime so the gunpla get more screentime to sell toys with the fights can take up more screentime.

Except the fights have by and large been barely 1/4 of each episode.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

Pureauthor posted:

What I don't understand is that if you have the capability to set the damage to negligible levels, why would you ever set it at anything else?

Do they think making people waste time repairing their models over and over is a good idea or something?

I could see it being, like, a test different from an actual battle for a fighter/builder/team. Like, you have to be able to divide your attention between building/repairing/maintaining your Gunpla and actually practicing as a fighter during the national tournament. Or something.

It's still dumb though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Srice posted:

I think this right here is why I find the damage level system to be insanely dumb.

From an in-universe or out--of-universe perspective? Because we've known since the very first episode of the very first season that the flashy special effects of the Gunpla battles are mostly illusions created by Plavsky particles, which should make sexing up battle damage while keeping casual competitors' models safe a trivial challenge. I mean, poo poo, what did you think was going on with all the illusory terrain that gets blown up in every single Gunpla battle? It's not like there's loose rocks strewn all over the arena afterwards.

From a storytelling perspective, it certainly dispels down the tension, but we're pretty much done with that now, so future episodes should improve. I will admit, however, that it would have been a hilariously wonderful and very fitting workaround for the problem of having sane, reasonable people in charge of the sport for Try Fighters to be an underground team seeking life on the beam saber's edge in a new, sanitised world of Gunpla Battle. Shifty-eyed manchildren in smoky bars sizing each other up, trying to determine whether the other guy's packing a tricked-out bootleg Mock or if he's just happy to see them. Shadowy, moustached figures who can get you an MG Gouf by tomorrow, no questions asked. The distant screams of some unwise soul being forced to watch the Gunpla Mafia pull his Perfect Grade Unicorn's polycaps out with a rusty pair of pliers. And the thrill of the Gunpladome, where two Zakus enter and one Zaku leaves.

Gundam Build Fighters Try: Strike Noir Edition.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

chumbler posted:

That's certainly true in the real world or teamwork in principle, but it's also really boring to watch. Sekai's kung fu gimmick is hitting build knuckle territory now several episodes ago, and it's also coming at the cost of us not really knowing anything about what the Lightning or Winning can do. Lightning has a gun and can turn into a jet that fires the typical useless gundam missiles. Winning blows itself up to be parts for the other two. For how much they've been on screen, relatively speaking, we've seen basically nothing of them, and we're well past the coy "What can they do I wonder?" point.

This is also probably why the sales for gunpla haven't been as hot, the word I've been hearing is that outside of the Build Burning, G-Reco stuff has been selling better than BFT's (And viewer-wise G-Reco has recently overtaken Build Fighters in all demographics except children, and that part makes sense because most kids aren't staying up to watch something at 2 AM)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

From an in-universe or out--of-universe perspective? Because we've known since the very first episode of the very first season that the flashy special effects of the Gunpla battles are mostly illusions created by Plavsky particles, which should make sexing up battle damage while keeping casual competitors' models safe a trivial challenge. I mean, poo poo, what did you think was going on with all the illusory terrain that gets blown up in every single Gunpla battle? It's not like there's loose rocks strewn all over the arena afterwards.

From a storytelling perspective, it certainly dispels down the tension, and it would have been a hilariously wonderful and very fitting workaround for the problem of having sane, reasonable people in charge of the sport for Try Fighters to be an underground team seeking life on the beam saber's edge in a new, sanitised world of Gunpla Battle. Shifty-eyed manchildren in smoky bars sizing each other up, trying to determine whether the other guy's packing a tricked-out bootleg Mock or if he's just happy to see them. Shadowy, moustached figures who can get you an MG Gouf by tomorrow, no questions asked. The distant screams of some unwise soul being forced to watch the Gunpla Mafia pull his Perfect Grade Unicorn's polycaps out with a rusty pair of pliers. And the thrill of the Gunpladome, where two Zakus enter and one Zaku leaves.

Gundam Build Fighters Try: Strike Noir Edition.

Both, though mainly in-universe. In-universe I find the downtime to be nice for character moments (compare how often a bunch of characters would hang out with Sei in his hotel room while he was fixing something). And as for the meta side of things, with the Build Burning being a special one of a kind gunpla it really dispels the tension because we know that it's not going to take heavy damage until they have a way to fix it. Though admittedly that's more of a problem related to not having a protagonist that builds gunpla.

It just adds a little more weight to a fight when they are in danger of losing their gunpla or having to spend time on repairs afterwards, especially when they have battles outside of the tournament. I just like how in the first season both sides could have their gunpla completely totaled in a fight, it makes the aftermath of the battle feel much more intense, and could really hammer in just how hard-earned that victory was.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Well, hopefully it is over now that they're going to A-damage. We'll just have to see if the Burning's new gimmick doesn't add a new crutch.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Darth Walrus posted:

And the thrill of the Gunpladome, where two Zakus enter and one Zaku leaves.

This is all I want now.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

ImpAtom posted:

Well, hopefully it is over now that they're going to A-damage. We'll just have to see if the Burning's new gimmick doesn't add a new crutch.

I'm going to say right now it's not going to matter ever at any point and if I'm wrong I won't actually eat a gunpla hat but I will use it as a turn of phrase

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Can't we all just move on beyond Gunpladome?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

MonsieurChoc posted:

Can't we all just move on beyond Gunpladome?

No because I might have to eat it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

They've really shot themselves in the foot with this season, because Try's basic format has sidelined all the other interesting characters from getting their own shot at the Nationals. And likely reduced them to tertiary cheer squad instead of getting their own fight scenes. All we're probably going to get is a string of one-dimensional stepping stones up to the final match.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They've really shot themselves in the foot with this season, because Try's basic format has sidelined all the other interesting characters from getting their own shot at the Nationals. And likely reduced them to tertiary cheer squad instead of getting their own fight scenes. All we're probably going to get is a string of one-dimensional stepping stones up to the final match.

Yeah, literally every even slightly minor character we've met so far is either A) A Meijin or B) Knocked out already.

In comparison BF built up to those fights by introducing characters and not having them fight Sei/Reiji until way later. Now, even if they do get a good new cast of rivals to face, they're introducing all of them in a much shorter timeframe.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The memory of Hajime no Ippo's subsequent seasons has returned to haunt me, in another sports anime.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

They really need to implement double elimination for more interesting rounds.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Pureauthor posted:

They really need to implement double elimination for more interesting rounds.

Hopefully they'll recycle the points system and interesting gimmick matches from last season, if not exactly the same things.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, literally every even slightly minor character we've met so far is either A) A Meijin or B) Knocked out already.

In comparison BF built up to those fights by introducing characters and not having them fight Sei/Reiji until way later. Now, even if they do get a good new cast of rivals to face, they're introducing all of them in a much shorter timeframe.

Plus by using secondary characters in their own fights, you got matches that actually had the possibility of going either way.

Swagger Dagger posted:

Hopefully they'll recycle the points system and interesting gimmick matches from last season, if not exactly the same things.

The problem is it's too late for that. All the possibly long-term rivals are already out of the qualifiers. The only last-ditch chance to bring up any of the already-seen teams into the Nationals is a Loser's Bracket.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Maybe we'll get 14 episodes of screwing around, and then in the final 5 seconds of the last episode Mr. Ral says "Oh yeah, they won the nationals."

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

chumbler posted:

Maybe we'll get 14 episodes of screwing around, and then in the final 5 seconds of the last episode Mr. Ral says "Oh yeah, they won the nationals."

Gundam written by Mitsuru Adachi?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Zwingley posted:

I could see it being, like, a test different from an actual battle for a fighter/builder/team. Like, you have to be able to divide your attention between building/repairing/maintaining your Gunpla and actually practicing as a fighter during the national tournament. Or something.

It's still dumb though.

It's because gunpla battle got more popular since the days of BF, so more people wanted to do it. But not that many people are actually all that good at building and would be discouraged from playing if model damage A was still the standard. So there was a general rules change to make things softer and safer, like literally any sport ever.

The nationals are still set it to A probably because all the pros make it there, and they like it that way.

Also

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Really? You're claiming Sunrise's (or rather Bandai's) interference when this show has less gunpla advertisements than BF?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Really? You're claiming Sunrise's (or rather Bandai's) interference when this show has less gunpla advertisements than BF?

It actually wasn't, but that's probably pretty accurate. The only gunpla we've seen have largely been in fights, outside of a grand three occasions when they've gone to a big-rear end hobby store and shown two private collections in bare passing shots. Compare that to BF when there's been gratuitous shots of private collections, hobby stores and just lots of general background fight scenes.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well more than that, BF Try has severely cut down on the number of cameos with kits. Comparing the first nine episodes of each, BF shone a spotlight on the Wing, the Gyan, the Sumo (just in time for a web-exclusive), the Ball, the Hamrabi, the Gerbera Tetra, the Victory, the GP-02, the Double X, G-Savior (they actually printed another run of HG G-Saviors around that time), the Hyaku Shiki, and the SD Knight. Try has only shown the Dom, the Enact, the Airmaster, and the Destiny.

And even though they both introduced seven different kits in their own line by this point, BF gave them all their own cool moments and even focused on the Build Strike and Zaku Amazing's backpacks for a bit. Even the red headed stepchild of the lot, the Build mkII, got to finish off two fights. Meanwhile Try has basically just been Build Burning central.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tae posted:

Gundam written by Mitsuru Adachi?

The show is gonna need to be a lot longer than that to simulate the full Adachi experience. And also maybe go a few dozen episodes with a protagonist that's not playing gunpla battle at all.

I'd probably watch the hell out of that.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I hope the Build Burning gets wrecked on the in the first model damage A fight so Sekai can use the model he wanted in the beginning. I imagine a Dom painted to look like it is wearing a karate Gi, I think that's the word, and a tied on headband that is flowing behind it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I know that BF Amazing at least starts chronologically before than the first BF but Yuuki has gotten like progressively shittier looking suits. The vRabe looks pretty loving baller, the kampfer looked nice, ehhh with the dark matter and now probably the perfect warrior is :sigh: (unless its someone elses). Even if its ladies the star gazer looked better than that. Maybe its Allan's nephews.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I know that BF Amazing at least starts chronologically before than the first BF but Yuuki has gotten like progressively shittier looking suits. The vRabe looks pretty loving baller, the kampfer looked nice, ehhh with the dark matter and now probably the perfect warrior is :sigh: (unless its someone elses). Even if its ladies the star gazer looked better than that. Maybe its Allan's nephews.

Nahm Yuuki's only gotten better units. Sorry you don't get it. Exia Amazing was top tier.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I know that BF Amazing at least starts chronologically before than the first BF but Yuuki has gotten like progressively shittier looking suits

Are you insulting the Amazing Exia?

Because I will fight you in real life to defend its honor. Exia RII supremacy. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I did not count the exia for a reason! Just the dark matter! Although its just a paint job, the exias are much better.

• Locked thread