Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
I love this game to bits but that review is spot on. The first thing I'll complain about is lack of variety within and between lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I feel like that review's scored kind of lovely, especially since they gave ACNL a 9.5 and it has, objectively, a lot less to do, and pretty much 0 story.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I'd see ACNL as a bigger grinding commitment as you have to play in real time :qq: or your town will go to poo poo.:qq: At least with fantasy life you can stop and come back to it like a normal game.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Video game reviews are biased as poo poo. What else is new?

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

To complete the special requests of the Life Masters, do you have to be in that life itself? So if, say, I go to Vulcan, and accept the blacksmith quest to go find the Bismuth ingot in Haniwa Cave, can I change to a hunter after that to actually go do the quest?

e: you totally can

uranium grass fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 2, 2014

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Scrape posted:

That seems right, from what I've seen. Personally, I don't use them on their own. It seems better to pick your effect than cross your fingers, as +stat gear is pretty easy to get.

FWIW if you get an effect you don't like you can "reroll" and try again without using up any of the components, including your god stone. Of course it may take you a while until you get the effect you want.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Question, maybe for one of the AU players who got the game early and are all endgame- has anyone successfully recruited Celestia? It says you can recruit her after completing the trial of light, but when I talk to the statue it just asks if I want to go back downstairs.

I completed the trial in multiplayer, would that affect it?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, I got her. I just did all three trials, and then got a scene where she said she'll join my party.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Allarion posted:

Yeah, I got her. I just did all three trials, and then got a scene where she said she'll join my party.

Apparently if you do it in multiplayer you don't get to recruit her after :(

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Golden Swordfish appears randomly in the place where the Swordfish does, west and slightly south of the entrance to the Archipelago on the circular dock, right? Any advice? I just cannot get the drat thing to spawn. My MO so far has been sleep in my Port Puerto house, go there, fish out the regular Swordfish, Menu > Go Home, repeat. It's tedious and there's no end in sight. It's the last thing I need for Legendary Angler. My Luck isn't capped but it's in the low 30s I think, maybe I just need to do something else and put more points in Luck.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

u don't have to fish out the regular swordfish to make the gold one spawn, you can just teleport home as soon as u see the regular swordfish, and then run back without sleeping

my luck was in 50 at the time. make sure you wear all the angler clothes and have the best possible rod bc that guy is a bitch

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Thanks! I was never quite sure about that stuff. I didn't think to change clothes either, that should help a lot.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Anyone have a Spirit King's bow they'd be willing to trade for another statue item? I'm not too inclined to see how many gold coins I have to dump in there for it, as I dropped 8 gold and 7 silver last night trying to get it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is it normal for the game to sloooooooooow the gently caress down once you hit the postgame? I've gotten Miner and Paladin to Hero and a few others to Master, but I'm still just on the cusp of hitting 49. I'm tempted to farm Metal Jellies until I hit 50 just so I can check out the DLC.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Pollyanna posted:

Is it normal for the game to sloooooooooow the gently caress down once you hit the postgame? I've gotten Miner and Paladin to Hero and a few others to Master, but I'm still just on the cusp of hitting 49. I'm tempted to farm Metal Jellies until I hit 50 just so I can check out the DLC.

strange, I was pretty much almost 60 by the time I beat the game for the DLC content.

There's some password items that can give you crafting or battle exp. Should help with leveling a lot. I'll post the link in a few.

Comprehensive list of Passwords

glassyalabolas fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Dec 5, 2014

Scrape
Apr 10, 2007

i've been sharpening a knife in the bathroom.
So weird, I was level 80+ by the time I got to Origin Island, without even trying. Between all the mining/woodchopping and then blacksmithing/carpentry, I felt like I was constantly levelling up just by trying to decorate my home and get new armor.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Where are Grace and Doku located on Origin Island? Trying to continue the DLC after a bunch of time spent not doing it and I need them for my party for Noelia

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Cerepol posted:

Where are Grace and Doku located on Origin Island? Trying to continue the DLC after a bunch of time spent not doing it and I need them for my party for Noelia

If you're at the part where you need them in your party, they're in the Furlin cave on Penguin Beach.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Nondevor posted:

If you're at the part where you need them in your party, they're in the Furlin cave on Penguin Beach.

lol is that what fluffkin are called for u guys?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Yup.

I don't think either of us gets to laugh at the other, though.

Not over what the shaggy-haired first ones were, anyway.

Scrape
Apr 10, 2007

Gotta say, it's pretty annoying that all the top-ranked blacksmith armor is both male-only and not Hunter gear. Looks like I might end up starting a new Tailor life and powerleveling to make some divine Minerva's gear. Unless there's anyone in the opposite situation who wants divine Merc or Pally gear and wants to trade.

Scrape
Apr 10, 2007

I did it, I went and became a Creator level Tailor yesterday. It's surprisingly easy once you're high level- took me two weeks to max Blacksmithing and only a few hours to max Tailor from scratch. It also requires some fishing drops, though, which required more trading with friends. If I could go back and start over, I would definitely start an Angler Life early on.

Anyway, Minerva and Valkyrie gear is top-notch Hunter armor. Too bad the helmets are big dorky-looking things. The wing accessories make up for it, though. If anyone wants a set made, pm me or whatever.

Now I'm off to farm the Trial of Light for Protection Stone+ and Crystal Scales!

Indigo Raven
Sep 1, 2008

HEY! LISTEN! HEY! LISTEN! HEY! LISTEN!
Is there a use for the insects and the Sacks of Copper/Silver/etc besides selling them?
I have a bunch of Grasshoppers and such that I want to sell but my "it might be useful later" hoarding instinct makes me hesitate.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Indigo Raven posted:

Is there a use for the insects and the Sacks of Copper/Silver/etc besides selling them?
I have a bunch of Grasshoppers and such that I want to sell but my "it might be useful later" hoarding instinct makes me hesitate.

So far I've seen one bug on the DLC island that's used in a craft, but that bug is everywhere, so it's not a big deal to sell 'em anyway.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Indigo Raven posted:

i keep back five of every bag of gold/whatever for one-off crafts, then sell the rest.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
I just had a DLC quest for Lunares coins that asked for 20 grasshoppers, but those are easy enough to collect that I wouldn't worry about it. Bugs respawn every time you leave and re-enter the screen, so they're quick to grind.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

I've seen recipes that use gold or treasure bags, but I don't think anything needs the copper or silver ones.

Scrape
Apr 10, 2007

After 200 hours, I'm winding down and running out of things to do in the game, unfortunately. Still having a blast but I've farmed the Trials endlessly, built my ultimate divine-quality weapons and armor, and done all my Creator special requests. :(

So if anyone is looking for special materials or crafted armor or anything, hit me up. I've got scales (dragon, mythical beast, celestial, etc), every ore, and every wood you could imagine. I don't need most of it anymore, so I'd like to see it used.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I loved this game, I've put in 80+ hours... But I'm still kind of wondering if I should buy the DLC. I am Hero in everything and Legend in a few, but what's left is kind of a slog. If the DLC is going to continue that, maybe I should just be happy with what I've done and move on.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Quantum Toast posted:

I've seen recipes that use gold or treasure bags, but I don't think anything needs the copper or silver ones.

There are quests from Pam for Lunares coins that will ask for x bags of silver or copper.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Grrl Anachronism posted:

There are quests from Pam for Lunares coins that will ask for x bags of silver or copper.

lol that pam moved on from 'gimme items' to 'just give me a shitload of money'

Scrape
Apr 10, 2007

guppy posted:

I loved this game, I've put in 80+ hours... But I'm still kind of wondering if I should buy the DLC. I am Hero in everything and Legend in a few, but what's left is kind of a slog. If the DLC is going to continue that, maybe I should just be happy with what I've done and move on.

I really liked the expansion! But if you're getting tired, you may not: it's mostly just extending the core game, not changing the formula at all. Depending on what you've been enjoying, it may breathe new life or just bore you. I can tell you this:

•The Origin Island storyline is more of the same cutesy humor, with some fun worldbuilding stuff. It delves into the celestial mythos.

•The Demi-creator > Creator rank is WAY easier than previous ranks, and gives you access to a bunch of new recipes with hard-to get ingredients (and the ability to make Divine quality items with Orbs, that supercharge your weapon/armor/tool with special effects.

•After becoming Creator, you can recruit your old Masters to fight with you. They'll also give you special requests, which are extremely difficult but give you new challenges to work toward.

•You will gather Lunares coins, which you can use to buy special items that let you respec at will, change your appearance for free, ride special mounts, or advance a particular Life faster. There's also all kinds of outfits and weapons and stuff.

•Origin Island is filled with new world bosses,some of which have interesting attack patterns but mostly are the same Hp sponges.

•The biggest thing are the three Trials, which are basically the endgame dungeon. They are super super difficult but filled with great stuff. You will spend a lot of time farming them and building your ultimate equipment. I thought the bosses had more interesting attack patterns and were good fights, overall. These will be your big achievements and the bulk of your Origin Island playtime, probably.

There you go, hopefully that helps explain what the DLC has in store for you. It's just more of the same running around gathering items and watching your stats increase (but to be fair, Origin Island is very pretty and well done, I think)

Scrape fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 11, 2014

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If you ask me the origin island storyline is pretty bad, it's 90% words with some skippable fights. Im not saying dont buy the DLC, if you liked the game you'll like the DLC. Its just more game, basically. More stuff to kill, tiers of stuff to craft, that kind of thing. But the story is basically fluff, IMO trying way too hard to be funny and clever like the main game was, it's over really fast and there's a poo poo ton of words about characters you've known for all of 10 minutes and don't give a gently caress about. And like half of the words are gibberish nonsense from the yeti dudes to boot.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Travis343 posted:

If you ask me the origin island storyline is pretty bad, it's 90% words with some skippable fights. Im not saying dont buy the DLC, if you liked the game you'll like the DLC. Its just more game, basically. More stuff to kill, tiers of stuff to craft, that kind of thing. But the story is basically fluff, IMO trying way too hard to be funny and clever like the main game was, it's over really fast and there's a poo poo ton of words about characters you've known for all of 10 minutes and don't give a gently caress about. And like half of the words are gibberish nonsense from the yeti dudes to boot.

To be fair, with games like this, the story isn't really the reason you play. It introduces you to things, is cute, and is somewhat fun, but the real meat of the game is making numbers go up, and then continuing to make numbers go up.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Dirk the Average posted:

To be fair, with games like this, the story isn't really the reason you play. It introduces you to things, is cute, and is somewhat fun, but the real meat of the game is making numbers go up, and then continuing to make numbers go up.

My thumb was sore!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dirk the Average posted:

Oh yeah, its a very small detraction, but I was pretty annoyed mashing A through fifteen minutes of "GIGAGIGA" "DOGU DOGUU" at a time last night so I thought id offer a dissenting opinion.

Scrape
Apr 10, 2007

That's totally valid. I just considered it a continuation of the main story, with the same 'visit a new place, help the inhabitants learn the meaning of friendship" formula. I thought it was on par with the rest of the game.

In any case, everyone seems to agree: the DLC is just more of the same game, for better or worse. I do think it's worth pointing out that the Demi-creator > Creator rank is the easiest of all. It's like six easy quests/crafts in the Origin area. I thought it would be mega difficult but instead it was like "okay, kill about six Evil Bees or whatever. Cool, you're a God now."

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Hey EU people bored of Fantasy Life - Rune Factory 4 is out in the eShop and probably very relevant to your interests! Haha, you thought you had your real life back.

Scrape
Apr 10, 2007

Babby Sathanas posted:

Hey EU people bored of Fantasy Life - Rune Factory 4 is out in the eShop and probably very relevant to your interests! Haha, you thought you had your real life back.

I've never checked out the Rune Factory series. I spent 212 hours in Reveria; should I try it out? I'm not interested in running a farm or whatever but I sure like crafting, grinding and watching numbers go up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Scrape posted:

I've never checked out the Rune Factory series. I spent 212 hours in Reveria; should I try it out? I'm not interested in running a farm or whatever but I sure like crafting, grinding and watching numbers go up.

Have you played Harvest Moon and enjoyed it?

• Locked thread