Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

blah_blah posted:

I don't even know what to believe anymore, literally everything there makes sense.

lol

“To me a condo is just a piece of cement that gets old and crusty. The bathtub is old and crusty. The sink is old and crusty. Why don’t you just rent and get a new un-crusty condo in five years,” he said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Cultural Imperial posted:

How are they angry? What do they say?

"You see, Joven, ya the news right now says that prices are going down but for how long? Housing always goes up, it's just the way it is."

"If you buy a house and you keep putting money in to it you'll get your money's worth. People love buying houses with nice kitchens, it'll work out!"

"You're throwing your money away if you rent!" "But if I invest the difference between renting and buying..." "My mortgage is less than renting already, though!" (this is a guy that owns a tiny 2 bedroom with no basement in Transcona, which is a lovely part of town way the gently caress away from everything)

Basically, they use a lot of words to say that housing can only go UP, UP, UP! and I'm a fool to not buy ASAP, especially since I have the down payment saved already.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

EvilJoven posted:

"You see, Joven, ya the news right now says that prices are going down but for how long? Housing always goes up, it's just the way it is."

"If you buy a house and you keep putting money in to it you'll get your money's worth. People love buying houses with nice kitchens, it'll work out!"

"You're throwing your money away if you rent!" "But if I invest the difference between renting and buying..." "My mortgage is less than renting already, though!" (this is a guy that owns a tiny 2 bedroom with no basement in Transcona, which is a lovely part of town way the gently caress away from everything)

Basically, they use a lot of words to say that housing can only go UP, UP, UP! and I'm a fool to not buy ASAP, especially since I have the down payment saved already.

So many people assume we are just 'saving up for the downpayment'. Some people even give me the amazing news that you don't need 20% anymore and ask how much we've saved up because it might be enough. It is weird though how people get mad, even if you're totally passive and polite they get defensive and a little angry.

I just refuse to talk about finance with boomers or 30 something vancouverites (oddly none of my Victoria friends have any interest in condos or real-estate). Once they find out we have more than enough for a down payment they desperately try to convince me I'm throwing my money away renting and I could be building equity. They take it very personally because it always comes up that "well my son just bought his 3rd condo!" or "We just bought an investment house up island!". Anyone not doing what they're doing with their money is a terrifying reminder that they might have made a horrible financial decision. People like that need an equity echo chamber to stay sane so any dissenting opinion has to be attacked or discredited. It usually comes down to us being paranoid conspiracy theorists, not understanding that they aren't building more land, or are just too lazy to be home owners.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
So exactly what the hell is gonna happen when this bubble pops? Mad Max? Low interest rates?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

I've always suspected that O'Leary's public CBC persona is just a troll.

100% this. He grew up as a loving hippie in Montreal with a guitar, and now sells his photography for charity. Like, if you actually look at the dude's life and actions, there is literally no way he believes what he says on TV.

Also he's been telling people to not buy real estate for like at least the past year. I'm sure other articles by him on the subject have been posted in this very thread.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Brannock posted:

So exactly what the hell is gonna happen when this bubble pops? Mad Max? Low interest rates?

I'm sure Canada will follow the the US's example of bailing out the financial sector followed by a aggressive monetary/rate cut policy.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Rime posted:

Reddit has done a particularly good job of aggregating the dregs of society that would have formerly only been seen commenting on news articles.

Digg had to send the refugees somewhere.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

EvilJoven posted:

My relationship with one of my oldest friends is really suffering because of real estate. We've been friends since grade 8 and went to mcgill together. He's now a lawyer (WITH A loving FOCUS ON REAL ESTATE LAW) and a housing bull. I blame it on his poo poo for brains wife who's family is involved in the construction industry.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

etalian posted:

I'm sure Canada will follow the the US's example of bailing out the financial sector followed by a aggressive monetary/rate cut policy.
My armchair economist perspective: The Canadian FI's won't get bailed out. They're actually in pretty good shape, and aren't over-leveraged like the U.S. banks were. They're also still making money, and since they operate across the country in a very streamlined manner it'll be easy for them to adjust their lending policies if the federal government tells them to. So instead of crashing, the Canadian banks will just fall short of their profit goals, and their shares will take a hit. They might even downsize their workforce just to trim the fat. Heck, RBC has already started to do that.

The average Canadian household, on the other hand, will be completely screwed.

EvilJoven posted:

In my experience, the only people who say this are either not in the real estate market (and want to play "financial guru" for the sake of feeding their ego) or they're currently holding a massive mortgage that they probably shouldn't have. It's really bizarre- it's like they're aware of the fact that they're totally screw when rates will eventually climb, but they want to take down as many people with them just so they're not alone when poo poo hits the fan.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 5, 2014

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

My relationship with one of my oldest friends is really suffering because of real estate. We've been friends since grade 8 and went to mcgill together. He's now a lawyer (WITH A loving FOCUS ON REAL ESTATE LAW) and a housing bull. I blame it on his poo poo for brains wife who's family is involved in the construction industry.

Try losing your brother over this poo poo. :(

I blame it on his idiot friends and coworkers who all rushed out to drop 350k on terribly built Pratt homes in this lovely city. He felt like the odd man out and the social pressure to keep up finally caught up with him I think. I think the other part is that he has a kid and a second on the way, and apparently if you still rent while having children you are some kind of monster that wants your child to grow up deprived and without a future. And because no one in my family approved of his choice, and instead offered words of caution instead, we are now the bad guys for trying to hold him back. My brother is normally a very stable and responsible person, especially financially, but for some reason the housing thing seems to get past the filters and Im terrified that he is going to get burned.

e: Yes I realize 350k doesnt seem like much to you big city folks, but relative to the average income in this city its pretty high. Barrie is a really horrible place. :(

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 5, 2014

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

melon cat posted:

My armchair economist perspective: The Canadian FI's won't get bailed out. They're actually in pretty good shape, and aren't over-leveraged like the U.S. banks were. They're also still making money, and since they operate across the country in a very streamlined manner it'll be easy for them to adjust their lending policies if the federal government tells them to. So instead of crashing, the Canadian banks will just fall short of their profit goals, and their shares will take a hit. They might even downsize their workforce just to trim the fat. Heck, RBC has already started to do that.

The average Canadian household, on the other hand, will be completely screwed.

If the average Canadian consumer is utterly hosed, won't the broader economic impact hit the banks, even if they are OK somehow mortgage-wise? I'm thinking business loans, etc, other traditional banking activities. Also how much of their capital or their ability to raise capital is influenced by their share price, or other things (like government bonds?) that would also be influenced by a general economic downtrend|

melon cat posted:

In my experience, the only people who say this are either not in the real estate market (and want to play "financial guru" for the sake of feeding their ego) or they're currently holding a massive mortgage that they probably shouldn't have. It's really bizarre- it's like they're aware of the fact that they're totally screw when rates will eventually climb, but they want to take down as many people with them just so they're not alone when poo poo hits the fan.

People want to believe that the gains can continue, and the good times won't end. The last (5?) years have reinforced a lot of marketing and propaganda regarding housing, even though somehow large parts of the world went through similar bubbles recently and saw things go to absolute hell. They want to convince someone else because they probably have a nagging doubt, but if others are continuing to jump in to the boat it'll get rid of the doubt, temporarily. A small part of them realizes that this is too good to be true.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Furnaceface posted:

I blame it on his idiot friends and coworkers who all rushed out to drop 350k on terribly built Pratt homes in this lovely city. He felt like the odd man out and the social pressure to keep up finally caught up with him I think. I think the other part is that he has a kid and a second on the way, and apparently if you still rent while having children you are some kind of monster that wants your child to grow up deprived and without a future. And because no one in my family approved of his choice, and instead offered words of caution instead, we are now the bad guys for trying to hold him back. My brother is normally a very stable and responsible person, especially financially, but for some reason the housing thing seems to get past the filters and Im terrified that he is going to get burned.

e: Yes I realize 350k doesnt seem like much to you big city folks, but relative to the average income in this city its pretty high. Barrie is a really horrible place. :(

On the other hand, it's interesting to me the rest of your family is warning him against RE. How did that happen? I'm the voice of reason when it comes to my parents.

Buskas
Aug 31, 2004
?

Pervis posted:

If the average Canadian consumer is utterly hosed, won't the broader economic impact hit the banks, even if they are OK somehow mortgage-wise? I'm thinking business loans, etc, other traditional banking activities. Also how much of their capital or their ability to raise capital is influenced by their share price, or other things (like government bonds?) that would also be influenced by a general economic downtrend

It will all take a hit if mortgages go bad and there is general economic upheaval, but Canadian banks' balance sheets are orders of magnitude healthier than US banks before the crisis. Candian banking is pretty conservative in that respect (but our lending policies are currently way too lax). Banks rarely go to market to raise capital these days and when they do it's usually preferred shares or bonds which are priced based mostly on prevailing interest rates and have little to do with the company's share price.

Buskas
Aug 31, 2004
?

Don't talk to your friends about poo poo like that. The majority of my friends are idiotic with money and several have bought real estate recently with stupidly small down payments, and I've learned that unless they specifically ask my advice it's not my place to say anything. Not going to change their minds and will just lead to useless fighting.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah it's like talking religion, if they're on the same page as you you can have a nice bitter chat about how stupid and wrong all those other people are, but if you get the sense they're reeeeeaaaly into housing debt just smile and nod. It seems to really be down to peoples peers/social group. Everyone I know in Victoria is too poor to even think about buying anything so there's no temptation. Everyone's who's gone to Vancouver to get a big fancy career job to make barely enough to maybe consider buying a poo poo suburban condo jumps at it because all their peers are doing the same.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah it's like talking religion, if they're on the same page as you you can have a nice bitter chat about how stupid and wrong all those other people are, but if you get the sense they're reeeeeaaaly into housing debt just smile and nod. It seems to really be down to peoples peers/social group. Everyone I know in Victoria is too poor to even think about buying anything so there's no temptation. Everyone's who's gone to Vancouver to get a big fancy career job to make barely enough to maybe consider buying a poo poo suburban condo jumps at it because all their peers are doing the same.

Yeah, there really is this massive social aspect to housing right now that makes it even worse. If youre renting you are almost instantly labelled as a poor or lazy and its so loving stupid.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

melon cat posted:

The canadian banks did have a close call during the 2008 mega-recession and required government help to stay well capitalized to the tune of 114 billion CAD:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/banks-got-114b-from-governments-during-recession-1.1145997

Ironically good amount of the bailout money actually came from the US, which shoveled piles of money around the globe to keep banking systems all over the world from collapsing.

It obviously got swept under the rug since the banks being able to easily handle a crisis without taxpayer help is a more comforting narrative.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-12-05/canadian-employment-declined-in-november-on-service-jobs.html
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-12-05/canadian-dollar-weakens-amid-unexpected-decline-in-employment.html
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-12-05/scotiabank-profit-falls-14-on-job-reductions-venezuela-costs.html
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-12-05/canada-s-trade-surplus-narrowed-in-october-on-slower-exports.html

masturbates furiously

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Welp.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
So how long until I can buy a house on the cheap following market collapse and I can live there until I die and pass it down through the generations?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
If recent indicators are going to be the prevailing trend, maybe a year?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

EvilJoven posted:

Lucas Kawa notes on twitter that these jobs reports have an enormous error and are very volatile. It probably doesn't mean that much but I can only hope.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Real Estate is tearing my friends apart. Half of us are staying in the cities, and either buying or renting, the other half of us are moving to the burbs. I passed around some funny articles about a neighboring suburb going apeshit in town hall meetings about the city council deciding to put sidewalk construction in their budget. In my opinion, if the construction of sidewalks is the third rail of your local politics, you need to move. I also passed around this video when one friend asked me what I thought of West St. Paul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVMbFGSLytI

My suburban and proto-suburban friends are not happy at all, especially the ones who live in suburbs resembling the video (read: every suburb).

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

I hope this poo poo happens before the election, so the blame can be put on Harper, where it belongs. Plus it would make all his goddamn " With me in charge, the economy's great!" ads hilarious.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
My friends keep buying but I think I am in a different demographic than most in this thread :corsair:

Harper and company intend to lose knowing that poo poo will fall apart and they can get another nine years starting in 2020ish

jet sanchEz fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 5, 2014

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Furnaceface posted:

I cautioned my sister to not buy a house for now but her and her husband have dove in and moved into a $320k place in Langley. For now I am happy for her but deep down I know that they're going to suffer for this mainly because they don't make that much--I make slightly more than them combined.

It is better to not fight with families or friends on this because it is their matter in the end.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

jet sanchEz posted:

My friends keep buying but I think I am in a different demographic than most in this thread :corsair:

Harper and company intend to lose knowing that poo poo will fall apart and they can get another nine years starting in 2020ish

I think that's how it's going to go down. They'll get the boot right before a big crash then spend the next 4 years screaming about how liberal/ndp tax and spend policies have collapsed the economy. Then after the economy starts to recover a bit they'll get elected, take all the credit, and we'll enjoy 16 more years of strong stable economic growth and this time any talk of "regulations" or "industrial safety" or "human rights" will be demonized out of public discourse because remember what happened to the housing market and canadian economy the last time we made oil execs pay a tax or maintain their pipelines?

And yeah, don't even bother warning people or trying to "save" them, you come across as a crazy christian rambling that you don't want your family member to end up going to hell because the END TIMES are coming and only those within sin or mortgage debt will enter the gates of renters heaven.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
If you want a laugh, give this a read: http://www.freedomthirtyfiveblog.com/2014/12/growing-household-debt.html

This apparently counts as sophisticated financial thinking.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Lexicon posted:

If you can't trust an article filled with emoticons, what CAN you trust

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

"Meanwhile, a recent report from the Equifax credit bureau reveals that Canadians now carry a total of $1.5 trillion of debt. This is 7.4% more than a year ago. And it works out to be roughly $43,200 per capita. But not to worry because if we remove the mortgage portion..."

I lost it at this point, can't read on, laughing too hard.
Ok let's go back, let's try this again.

"But not to worry because if we remove the mortgage portion, then the total amount of debt has only increased 2.7% from 2013. This is actually quite sustainable eh, because if the inflation rate is 2.7% and our debt increases by the same amount then the real value of our debt wouldn’t have gone up at all"

Nope, sorry, I'm out.

Buskas
Aug 31, 2004
?

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Real Estate is tearing my friends apart. Half of us are staying in the cities, and either buying or renting, the other half of us are moving to the burbs. I passed around some funny articles about a neighboring suburb going apeshit in town hall meetings about the city council deciding to put sidewalk construction in their budget. In my opinion, if the construction of sidewalks is the third rail of your local politics, you need to move. I also passed around this video when one friend asked me what I thought of West St. Paul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVMbFGSLytI

My suburban and proto-suburban friends are not happy at all, especially the ones who live in suburbs resembling the video (read: every suburb).

To be fair to the residents of West St. Paul, every Canadian and Northern U.S. city east of the Coast Mountains looks grey and wintery like that for 60% of the year. I would much rather be a resident of West St. Paul than Miami :barf:

Buskas
Aug 31, 2004
?

Lexicon posted:

If you want a laugh, give this a read: http://www.freedomthirtyfiveblog.com/2014/12/growing-household-debt.html

This is satirical...right?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

jet sanchEz posted:

It's silly to think that they INTEND to lose, it's more like they have a back-up plan for when it does, and HOLY poo poo if people aren't going to be looking for a someone other than themselves to blame when poo poo hits the fan!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

People are 100% convinced that prices are "supposed" to keep rapidly growing as the natural state. If they don't, something went wrong, something intervened to stop this natural process. When the crash comes it won't be seen as an expected consequence to collective financial stupidity, someone else will be to blame. Probably the government. They did it, they didn't mow their lawn enough and all our property values went down!

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
And to add to this:
TD warns of challenges ahead after missing targets.
BMO also missed their Q4 targets.

CIBC and RBC have apparently done well this year, but they aren't exactly tap-dancing in happiness about it. At best, they seem to be cautiously optimistic of the years ahead.

etalian posted:

The canadian banks did have a close call during the 2008 mega-recession and required government help to stay well capitalized to the tune of 114 billion CAD:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/banks-got-114b-from-governments-during-recession-1.1145997
The Canadian FIs certainly had what could be described as a soft-landing (largely due to that government-assisted capitalization you mentioned), but even then, the Canadian market's correction wasn't anywhere close to the U.S. FIs'. Heck, I clearly remember Harper bragging about the Canadian FIs stability as a model to be emulated during the '08 shitstorm and Canadians getting all super-smug about it.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 5, 2014

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

Professor Shark posted:

It's silly to think that they INTEND to lose, it's more like they have a back-up plan for when it does, and HOLY poo poo if people aren't going to be looking for a someone other than themselves to blame when poo poo hits the fan!

Yeah, "intend" was a poor choice of words but I don't think any tory will be surprised if they lose and they will most definitely have a great time in the house blaming everyone else for the woes of the country. It will be a frustrating thing to witness, I am sure.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

melon cat posted:

And to add to this:
TD warns of challenges ahead after missing targets.
BMO also missed their Q4 targets.

CIBC and RBC have apparently done well this year, but they aren't exactly tap-dancing in happiness about it. At best, they seem to be cautiously optimistic of the years ahead.

The Canadian FIs certainly had what could be described as a soft-landing (largely due to that government-assisted capitalization you mentioned), but even then, the Canadian market's correction wasn't anywhere close to the U.S. FIs'. Heck, I clearly remember Harper bragging about the Canadian FIs stability as a model to be emulated during the '08 shitstorm and Canadians getting all super-smug about it.

As somebody who has been calling for a bubble collapse since 2008/09, and has also been telling people to avoid Canadian banks like the plague, there is no smug emoticon big enough to describe my feelings right now.

It's coming, like a freight train, and I hope everybody who thought they were smarter than truth and mathematics eats an entire bag of poo poo.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

melon cat posted:

Well most of the smugness does overlook how the banks did require a stealth bailout to stay healthy during the 2008 mega-recession.

History pretty much shows when you have a irrational exuberance driven bubble it always ends in a big meltdown regardless of all the false hopes people have for the banks and economy being well prepared for the downtown.

etalian fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 6, 2014

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.straight.com/news/784486/housing-demand-rise-after-apocalyptic-scenario-doesnt-play-out-canadian-market

quote:

“Certainly demographics are at the core of housing demand, and a fundamental principle of demographics is that people do not leave the housing market when they turn 60, or 70, and increasingly, given the substantial increase in life expectancy we have enjoyed over the past century, not even when they turn 80,” the think-tank noted.

:airquote::airquote::airquote::airquote::airquote::airquote:

Man I hope everyone believes this and buys a house for xmas.

namaste friends fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://ftalphaville.ft.com/2014/12/05/2062831/canadian-part-time-worker-update/

quote:

While it’s easy to lose track amid the din associated with the release of the US jobs report, the Great White North also published its latest jobs numbers on Friday. These data are highly volatile on a month-to-month basis, but we still think some interesting information can occasionally be gleaned from looking at the annual changes. In particular, we noticed something eye-catching about the flows into part-time and full-time work.

Last time we discussed this issue, we noted that about half of the total job growth in the prior 12 months had taken the form of part-time work, and that for women 25 and older, full-time employment had actually fallen. Since then, things have subtly changed.

According to the latest data, part-time work is still a huge driver of total job growth — about 65,000 jobs out of 146,000 added over the past 12 months. But more than all of those gains (69,000) are now attributable to Canadians aged 15-24. Full-time employment among younger Canadians fell by 1 per cent.

Canadian men aged 25 and up saw basically no change in the number of part-time workers, while Canadian women aged 25 and up actually lost part-time jobs. Full-time employment grew by 1.0 per cent for men over the age of 25 and by 0.4 per cent for women.

Assuming these data aren’t wiped out in another volatile month, the narrative would be broadly positive: rapid growth in total youth employment — up 2.3 per cent over the past 12 months, despite a 0.9 per cent decline in the youth population — combined with a shift in the employment mix among older workers towards better full-time jobs.

Unlike the US, the Canadian labour force participation rate has held relatively steady over the past 15 years, so the stubbornness of the (relatively low) unemployment rate is less concerning than it would be south of the border. And as we’ve noted before, the share of Canadians with jobs never fell as much as it did in the US.

This isn’t to say that Canada is free of challenges such as an overstretched housing market dependent on Chinese flight capital and a commodity sector getting hammered by falling prices. But the monthly decline in employment shouldn’t be over-interpreted as a sign of trouble.

So the jobs numbers probably aren't that bad.