Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Effectronica posted:

Looks like you're a philosophical zombie, and they really are able to be distinguished from human beings after all! Or you're accusing me of being actively racist, which is a cool thing to do in a discussion. When did you stop beating your girlfriend, SedanChair?

If you're saying that it's impossible to engage with the concept of privilege, and to do so would usher in white genocide, I'ma call you racist. We can discuss how racist you are...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

SedanChair posted:

If you're saying that it's impossible to engage with the concept of privilege, and to do so would usher in white genocide, I'ma call you racist. We can discuss how racist you are...

That's not what I said. Are you, perhaps, illiterate? I actually said it again, in slightly leaner language. Go back a page and scroll up and you will find it.

Balnakio
Jun 27, 2008

ryonguy posted:

Jesus loving christ.

Who is calling for your extermination? Post the exact quote so we can laugh at you for seriously responding to hyperbole like a jackass.

Seriously, are you that sheltered on-line? Twitter, tumbler there's a whole internet out there.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Yeah that's hyperbole, try not to feel threatened by it.

Effectronica posted:

That's not what I said. Are you, perhaps, illiterate? I actually said it again, in slightly leaner language. Go back a page and scroll up and you will find it.

So is it important to identify privilege or not? Don't get upset about what angry minorities say and concentrate on doing your job.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Balnakio posted:

Seriously, are you that sheltered on-line? Twitter, tumbler there's a whole internet out there.

Would you mind answering my question?

Effectronica posted:

Would you mind giving an example of how you feel people are calling for your extermination? Just for purposes of discussion.

SedanChair posted:

So is it important to identify privilege or not? Don't get upset about what angry minorities say and concentrate on doing your job.

I literally do not see what this has to do with what I wrote, so I'm going to give you another chance to read it, and then I'm just going to treat you as delusional from here on out.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Balnakio posted:

They aren't going to own up to anything, dude. They're just going to attack you now like the OP describes because you dared go against the hivemind.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Kyrie eleison posted:

They aren't going to own up to anything, dude. They're just going to attack you now like the OP describes because you dared go against the hivemind.

Hey, would you mind answering my question?

Effectronica posted:

What are these left-wing ideas you consider attractive?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

SedanChair posted:

So is it important to identify privilege or not?
It doesn't matter.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

icantfindaname posted:

So are we at the point now where we're unironically quoting /pol/?

Depends on the post in question. It's not a pure borg-like hivemind of stormfront edgelords (usually) chomping at the bit to don a hood and lynch some browns, and sifting through the "gas the *ethnic group* race war now" posts takes a bit of time but wholly discounting people's opinion based on their choice of social media is...well, problematic :v:

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

While I cringe to see pol quoted unironically, I'll take that as the brokest of broken clocks.

Most of /pol/ is poo poo but RadFems and the modern college leftist outrage mentality are seriously messed up. Hey there's poor people everywhere with no political power why not help them out a bit in tangible ways instead of raging against the patriarchy or white oppression on twitter?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Omi-Polari posted:

It doesn't matter.

I find that people who say that could probably get through their lives without it mattering to them. However, that's a rather selfish way to live.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Minarchist posted:

Most of /pol/ is poo poo but RadFems and the modern college leftist outrage mentality are seriously messed up. Hey there's poor people everywhere with no political power why not help them out a bit in tangible ways instead of raging against the patriarchy or white oppression on twitter?

How?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Minarchist posted:

lame internet people pointing out that other lame internet people are lame internet people is so loving boring

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Minarchist posted:

One way of spotting privilege is to find the people who think their own personal psychological journey through their privilege and racism will change the way the United States government and police forces actually behave.

SedanChair posted:

I find that people who say that could probably get through their lives without it mattering to them. However, that's a rather selfish way to live.
Oh, I mean I'm not exactly manning the barricades, but I just don't think my own feelings vis-a-vis black people and whether I've checked my privilege this morning has much of an effect (read: any) on whether the cops shoot a teenager to death tomorrow.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 5, 2014

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

ryonguy posted:

I did, it's a lot of words for "slippery slope". Also, you're dumb. And smell like poop.

It's not a slippery slope to point out the the logically consistent result of the stances you espouse. If you hold stances that argue for outcomes you find acceptable, this is a good sign you should question those stances. This is why the LGBT movement didn't argue that "anybody should be able to get married to anything" as their reason for supporting gay marriage, and if they had and someone pointed out that it meant they were arguing that people could marry their infant, toaster, or dog if they got their way, that would not be a slippery slope argument. That requires the point being that the thing someone is arguing for could lead to another thing both parties agree is unacceptable. "Two consenting adults should be able to marry each other!" countered with the same response would be a slippery slope argument, because the person in question isn't arguing for a solution they find acceptable, merely one that might lead to one (as the counterargument goes).

You, on the other hand, seem to be arguing for a situation you find unacceptable. And your response to someone pointing out that the thing you are arguing seems to leads to an outcome you find unacceptable is not to refine (if you are communicating poorly) or modify (if your understanding is actually flawed) your argument, but to insult and mock them and accuse them of tone arguments.

So let's step back.

The current argument, as I understand it:
One group claims that white people are inherently racist, and that we must fight to eliminate racism.
Another group responds that this argument is either separatist or genocidal.

As a member of the first group, do you recognize how they would come to this conclusion? How would you refine, clarify, or modify your statement such that the second groups criticism is not valid?

This is not a tone argument. This is a content argument. They are not saying you are angry, or whining, or not being nice enough, they are saying you advocating either inaccurate or not-good things. (Specifically, judging by the tone of this thread so far, they are pointing out that this is a flaw in essentialism)

Perhaps you are not in fact arguing essentialism. If so, your defense isn't insults, it's to inform them you are not arguing essentialism. Well, that or that your goal isn't to eliminate racism.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

GlyphGryph posted:

It's not a slippery slope to point out the the logically consistent result of the stances you espouse. If you hold stances that argue for outcomes you find acceptable, this is a good sign you should question those stances. This is why the LGBT movement didn't argue that "anybody should be able to get married to anything" as their reason for supporting gay marriage, and if they had and someone pointed out that it meant they were arguing that people could marry their infant, toaster, or dog if they got their way, that would not be a slippery slope argument. That requires the point being that the thing someone is arguing for could lead to another thing both parties agree is unacceptable. "Two consenting adults should be able to marry each other!" countered with the same response would be a slippery slope argument, because the person in question isn't arguing for a solution they find acceptable, merely one that might lead to one (as the counterargument goes).

You, on the other hand, seem to be arguing for a situation you find unacceptable. And your response to someone pointing out that the thing you are arguing seems to leads to an outcome you find unacceptable is not to refine (if you are communicating poorly) or modify (if your understanding is actually flawed) your argument, but to insult and mock them and accuse them of tone arguments.

So let's step back.

The current argument, as I understand it:
One group claims that white people are inherently racist, and that we must fight to eliminate racism.
Another group responds that this argument is either separatist or genocidal.

As a member of the first group, do you recognize how they would come to this conclusion? How would you refine, clarify, or modify your statement such that the second groups criticism is not valid?

This is not a tone argument. This is a content argument. They are not saying you are angry, or whining, or not being nice enough, they are saying you advocating either inaccurate or not-good things. (Specifically, judging by the tone of this thread so far, they are pointing out that this is a flaw in essentialism)

Perhaps you are not in fact arguing essentialism. If so, your defense isn't insults, it's to inform them you are not arguing essentialism. Well, that or that your goal isn't to eliminate racism.

You're mistaking what I'm saying. I'm not accusing anyone in this thread, or anywhere else, of sincerely believing in essential racism/sexism/homophobia/transphobia/classism.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

SedanChair posted:

So is it important to identify privilege or not?

This is actually a good question. I'm about as leftist as they come (in the eyes of those who aren't adherents of the true leftist strategy), and I honestly don't know if it is.

Can you point to victories that it has achieved, and meaningful social change? Has identifying privilege helped? If it's not a useful strategy, we should stop doing it. If it's only a useful strategy in a subset of situations, we should try our best to resort to it only in those situations.

You apparently have thought about this quite a bit - do you think it is important? If so, why?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Effectronica posted:

You're mistaking what I'm saying. I'm not accusing anyone in this thread, or anywhere else, of sincerely believing in essential racism/sexism/homophobia/transphobia/classism.

I... didn't say you were. But okay, can you tell me what you were actually trying to argue?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Politics is about the distribution of power. (Call it privilege, if you want.) Who's got it, and who doesn't. That's pretty much it. So let's say that people holding the power are aware of their power. That means what? A politics focused on that alone will do nothing.

I would also wonder how people in power use their "awareness" to reinforce their standing in the hierarchy. Like a major corporation using Third World charity to sell a product that helps reinforce a system of global poverty. That's what all this privilege-checking reminds me of.

Not to indict people who are really trying to change things. But wearing your privilege-checking on your sleeve is just useless.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

GlyphGryph posted:

I... didn't say you were. But okay, can you tell me what you were actually trying to argue?

Well, I'm arguing that for various reasons, people involved in pop-leftism have begun espousing things that look like essentialism or lead to it, due to things like conflating privilege with all oppression, and so on.

Then, I would go on to suggest that this is due to much of pop-left stuff being the blind leading the blind, with the main source of references being other pop-left websites and blogs, and that the only real solution is to promulgate rigorous theories that can be guiding lights for people to agree with, disagree with, cite, and build on. The issue then would be doing this. Easier than fixing poverty, but not so much a small task, and one fraught with elitism.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

GlyphGryph posted:

Can you point to victories that it has achieved, and meaningful social change? Has identifying privilege helped? If it's not a useful strategy, we should stop doing it. If it's only a useful strategy in a subset of situations, we should try our best to resort to it only in those situations.

Just off the top of my head, abolitionism, ending Jim Crow, women's suffrage, the Chicano movement and LGBT rights.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

SedanChair posted:

I am unironically in favor of destroying the village of structural racism in order to save (some) of the people in it. Are there going to be casualties? Sure. There have always been casualties though, it's just that they were out of sight to the privileged.

Quick question to you and anyone else with this line of thinking.

"Why should I not stop you?"

Also, in general, "why" is a question that most people are unprepared to answer, despite advocating for broad changes to society and civilization and the way people live. I think it's foolish at best to try to tell people that they should change the way they live, and the society they live in, but not have some sort of succinct way to tell someone why they should trust you and do as you say. I do not mean "why?" in the libertarian, "how do I profit/what's in it for me" sense, either, so don't try to run interference with that. I mean what principles guide this, what ends do you want to achieve, and how are your means remotely justified.

Something tells me you can't tell me why I should let you "destroy the village." Or even what you want after you 'destroy' the badness you seem to think infects everything.

Never mind the practical concerns of trying to face the USA head on with violence - you can't even justify it in terms of principle.

Are you a teenager?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

SedanChair posted:

Just off the top of my head, abolitionism, ending Jim Crow, women's suffrage, the Chicano movement and LGBT rights.
My head is exploding. The LGBT movement succeeded because heterosexuals checked their privilege? Baloney.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SedanChair posted:

Abolition? I don't think anyone in America was unaware of slaveholder privilege.

"This massive national bloodbath is doing an excellent job of raising awareness of privilege."
~ Abraham Lincoln

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Omi-Polari posted:

My head is exploding. The LGBT movement succeeded because heterosexuals checked their privilege? Baloney.

Teach cops not to shoot black kids.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Omi-Polari posted:

It doesn't matter.

Privilege is just "original sin" for the tumblr left, at this point :v:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Omi-Polari posted:

Really? Why do you think all those straight people are voting for gay marriage now?

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

SedanChair posted:

Really? Why do you think all those straight people are voting for gay marriage now?

Moral arguments that exist completely outside of privilege bullshit come to mind.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Privilege is meaningful. White people have certain advantages that are almost entirely unavailable to other races. Heterosexuals are much more acceptable to society that homosexuals or bisexuals. It's just not everything.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Space Whale posted:

Moral arguments that exist completely outside of privilege bullshit come to mind.

Like "I get to have the family I want, why shouldn't they"?

That's called checking your privilege.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Effectronica posted:

Privilege is meaningful. White people have certain advantages that are almost entirely unavailable to other races. Heterosexuals are much more acceptable to society that homosexuals or bisexuals. It's just not everything.

It's not it's own end, it's something worth pointing out when someone goes "I got here all by myselfs."

It's also not something only white men, or men, or whites, or whatever have, and it goes far beyond just race and sexual orientation.

Money made a big difference in how privileged I am in my life, but nobody says check your bank account. That's a privilege people aspire to have, oddly enough!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

SedanChair posted:

Because gay people built their own communities, stood up for themselves, came out of the closet, and built a political power base. Because we learned to respect ourselves.

This had the effect of changing straight people's feelings, but that was the natural consequence of a shift in material circumstances.

We didn't tell straight people not to get married, or anything. Like "turn in your privilege."

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Space Whale posted:

It's not it's own end, it's something worth pointing out when someone goes "I got here all by myselfs."

It's also not something only white men, or men, or whites, or whatever have, and it goes far beyond just race and sexual orientation.

Money made a big difference in how privileged I am in my life, but nobody says check your bank account. That's a privilege people aspire to have, oddly enough!

Those are just representative examples, duder. You don't need to be condescending.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

SedanChair posted:

Like "I get to have the family I want, why shouldn't they"?

That's called checking your privilege.

I thought it was "have the kind of family you want, and I have mine." Yanno, a moral argument to leave people alone unless you have a drat good reason to interfere with them?

Also, no, I'm not sure how my bank account, skin tone, dick length, dick girth, height, known card tricks, hireability, sexual orientation, shoe size, posting career, skinniness, or education factor into this. Moral arguments are valid regardless of who says or who hears them. If I missed any privileges please let me know so I can keep a list.

As a matter of fact, the concept of privilege doesn't really matter, at all, when I think about gay marriage!

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Effectronica posted:

Those are just representative examples, duder. You don't need to be condescending.

That's more directed at the tumblrs who just go "CYP" at the drop of a triggerword. Sorry I vented at you!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"Please don't talk about white privilege, it makes me uncomfortable to be reminded that my life is much better than other people's for no rational reason."

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Omi-Polari posted:

Because gay people built their own communities, stood up for themselves, came out of the closet, and built a political power base. Because we learned to respect ourselves.

This had the effect of changing straight people's feelings, but that was the natural consequence of a shift in material circumstances.

So LGBT folks talked about their experiences and engaged in activism and built communities, and straight people educated themselves and became allies. That's really all checking your privilege is.

I get this idea that you all have been really soured on the word "privilege" because you've heard it from so many people you consider laughable. But there's really no other way to do it. It has to be a process of collaboration between people who are dealing with oppression and people who have benefited from it or haven't had to think about it, but are trying to learn and grow.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

"Please don't talk about white privilege, it makes me uncomfortable to be reminded that my life is much better than other people's for no rational reason."
I have affluenza and you're triggering me.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Effectronica posted:

Straight, white, AND male? Feels good, man. :dukedog:

Feels great being a social default. Doesn't mean its right, or okay, or sustainable (although I'm not complaining that it is). I still get nervous around cops, I try to obey the law and I don't make much money and I have to room up with people in low end housing. I don't feel all that privileged, and no one will care if I ask for help. It could be worse but it could be a lot better...for all of us.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Space Whale posted:

That's more directed at the tumblrs who just go "CYP" at the drop of a triggerword. Sorry I vented at you!

NBD.

SedanChair posted:

So LGBT folks talked about their experiences and engaged in activism and built communities, and straight people educated themselves and became allies. That's really all checking your privilege is.

I get this idea that you all have been really soured on the word "privilege" because you've heard it from so many people you consider laughable. But there's really no other way to do it. It has to be a process of collaboration between people who are dealing with oppression and people who have benefited from it or haven't had to think about it, but are trying to learn and grow.

You're turning privilege into something meaningless by making it cover virtually everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Popular Thug Drink posted:

No, it's because I have money and I'm not seen as suspicious, but rather as trustworthy.

Well, that and "ok, I checked them, now what?" usually results in "well that's it we dunno."

I should add that I was a poor whitey privilege McGee for a long time and welp, wouldn't you know it, the privileges only kick in when you can buy things. And we all love to paper over class, don't we?

• Locked thread