Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

moist turtleneck posted:

drat 90s music videos have too much color in them for gifs

I feel I should know this and also regret knowing it.

FouRPlaY
May 5, 2010

Elohssa Gib posted:

I feel I should know this and also regret knowing it.

True and false. You're going to love knowing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzoEK545j64

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

To show my appreciation for this and the other BTLC posts, here is my extended avatar for when Richard Lowtax increases the file size limits again in 15 years.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

I really like this. This feels good to my eyes and brain.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Schlinky
Mar 12, 2009

...Too much drink.

AFewBricksShy posted:

What movie is this from?

Eat, Pray, Love, a 2 1/2 hour film about Julia Roberts going on holiday and smiling a lot.

It is, admittedly, a pretty film with some interesting shots. But then again, it's also 2 1/2 hours.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Schlinky posted:

It is, admittedly, a pretty film with some interesting shots. But then again, it's also 2 1/2 hours.

My Julia Roberts tolerance level is about 2.5 minutes.

Anyway:

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009

CollegeCop posted:

The kid in the foreground was talking to the person with the camera when the kid in the back ground fell down. Then the kid in the foreground tries to see what is going on and falls off his chair.

I got it from one of those "fail" compilations.

The bigger kid hears the ice cream truck and is trying to get off the chair to get to it. In the regular video you hear the chimes and him starting to cry after hitting the floor.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Mildly Amusing
May 2, 2012

room temperature

You missed one

bon ape tit
Aug 7, 2011

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

That Mr Oizo vid was rad as gently caress, thanks!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer

What is the kid doing with his hand? He looks pretty creepy allround.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Apparently he had to go to the bathroom and that was his way of trying to tell the director.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Dillbag posted:

To show my appreciation for this and the other BTLC posts, here is my extended avatar for when Richard Lowtax increases the file size limits again in 15 years.

Maybe he'll allow gifv format one day.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Kind of reminds of of this Key and Peele sketch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5ZM0-f5_CU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

:source:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Seriously one of my favorite videos ever. Have any "Iron" .gifs?

java
May 7, 2005

The new doctor who looks terrible, jesus.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

java posted:

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

java posted:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Dead Blue Sky posted:

Seriously one of my favorite videos ever. Have any "Iron" .gifs?

Fishstick has a new favorite as of 12:07 on Dec 5, 2014

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Light bouncing off a mirror, filmed at 100 BILLION frames per second.

Science, bitch.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

DrBouvenstein posted:

Light bouncing off a mirror, filmed at 100 BILLION frames per second.

Science, bitch.

I never understood these images. Wouldn't there need to be some mechanical thing inside the camera that recorded this going faster than the speed of light?

I'm not very good at science.

E: It's pretty fuckin' cool though.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mogomra posted:

I never understood these images. Wouldn't there need to be some mechanical thing inside the camera that recorded this going faster than the speed of light?

You have to take a bunch of pics of the same scene at different points in time, then put it back together.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Mogomra posted:

No, it's all electronic. Your sensor is either sensing or not, there's not a shutter that opens and closes.

That being said, generally, in really over-simplified terms, how these ULTRAMEGAUBERFASTWATCHASINGLEPROTON framerate things work is that it's compiled from several repeats of the same instance, and each time they capture the moment in the sequence that is just a little later. So say you have a sensor that you can turn on for 20 picoseconds. To capture a 100-picosecond sequence, you'll run the sequence five times and capture a different period each time. The first time you capture 0-20ps, the second time 20-40ps, the third time 40-60ps, etc.

It's like if you had a really slow camera and wanted to make a video of a car driving by, but definitely couldn't take pictures fast enough. So instead you have the car drive by a whole bunch of times and each time, you take your picture just a little later, and then compile them all together in an animation.

e:fb, but I used :words: and :iiaca: so :colbert:

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Apocalypse Now

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

What a fantastic continuation from Iron. I really hope they do more in the series.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

This creeping me out

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

ElGroucho posted:

This creeping me out

Apparently the whole thing is a loving train wreck.

http://morningafter.gawker.com/peter-pan-live-was-the-worst-three-hour-drag-show-weve-1667018164

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Christ. I thought that was Jim Carrey at first.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Every live holiday production that NBC tries is a loving disaster.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I assumed Allison Williams had a long history of theater acting that led to her beating out lots of other actresses for a very difficult part

Nope, LOL

What was the name of the actress who played Peter Pan in the 80's? I remember her being pretty great at the part. Or was that still Mary Martin?

ed: Holy poo poo, that was still just a Mary Martin VHS I used to watch. I wish they had cast Lena Ham as Captain Hook

ElGroucho has a new favorite as of 19:59 on Dec 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ironcladfolly
May 22, 2007

Devil's Favorite Doggie

Bad Munki posted:

No, it's all electronic. Your sensor is either sensing or not, there's not a shutter that opens and closes.

That being said, generally, in really over-simplified terms, how these ULTRAMEGAUBERFASTWATCHASINGLEPROTON framerate things work is that it's compiled from several repeats of the same instance, and each time they capture the moment in the sequence that is just a little later. So say you have a sensor that you can turn on for 20 picoseconds. To capture a 100-picosecond sequence, you'll run the sequence five times and capture a different period each time. The first time you capture 0-20ps, the second time 20-40ps, the third time 40-60ps, etc.

It's like if you had a really slow camera and wanted to make a video of a car driving by, but definitely couldn't take pictures fast enough. So instead you have the car drive by a whole bunch of times and each time, you take your picture just a little later, and then compile them all together in an animation.

e:fb, but I used :words: and :iiaca: so :colbert:

So what you're saying is that it's a different photon in every frame of the GIF and science is lying to us!?