Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Omaha the Cat Dancer started in 1978.

Furries are older than most SA posters.

Yeah, but the rise of the modern furry was predicted in 1969.

By Monty Python.

No poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK92NYwBMts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Pete was really torn up about that golden notebook. (Web of Spider-Man #11)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Detective Comics 37:

Something about Batman popping in sideways to answer a question that wasn't directed at him just makes me crack up.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I like to think that's his go to answer for any time he swing by a busted window, and he finally, truly got to nail the moment perfectly.

Wondering how many suicide attempts have heard "Wayne Tower blows up" as their last words before they jumped.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

TwoPair posted:

Detective Comics 37:

Something about Batman popping in sideways to answer a question that wasn't directed at him just makes me crack up.

At first I didn't see Batman right. I thought he was of gigantic size and falling onto a city.

Unknown Dr. Doom populism:

Unknown Dr. Doom altruism:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I like to think that's his go to answer for any time he swing by a busted window, and he finally, truly got to nail the moment perfectly.

Wondering how many suicide attempts have heard "Wayne Tower blows up" as their last words before they jumped.
I like to think that's a Bullock story, where he's investigating a murder or robbery or something and those are the only panels involving Batman or a bomb. Just another day in Gotham City. Hey is this a bomb? Oh, Batman's got it, on with my business.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

William Bear posted:

Unknown Dr. Doom altruism:

They're in good hands.

FF #57

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I love how Doom is rolling his eyes there. I like to imagine he's putting on his biggest, most sarcastic voice, and doing as terrible a job of selling it as he can.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

While I will give him unambitious

[Fantastic Four #17]

I question the "good hands"

[Fantastic Four #86]

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Ghostlight posted:

[Fantastic Four #86]
I love that those are totally two enormous sticks of dynamite.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I don't know what I love more; the concept that Doom's idea of creating a phyrric victory for the FF is to blow up the model of his village, or that he might actually have two gigantic sticks of dynamite buried underneath the real village.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Latverians must all be really angry about where their tax dollars go.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think one of the lines that best encapsulates Doom's relationship to Latveria is in Millar's run where during a parade in his honor, Doom tells one of his guards to "shoot the first person to stop clapping".

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I prefer benevolent megalomaniacal uncle Doom who occasionally tries to take over the world because RICHARDS! than murderous dictator Doom.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I just don't buy Hickman's loving uncle Doom. Guy skinned his girlfriend alive.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Lurdiak posted:

Alternate Universe Doom.
What? It's the Official Marvel Explanation for a Character You Like Doing Things You Don't Like.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Lurdiak posted:

Ah, but he did it for a reason, a motive. That's what defines Doom, I think; he is a dictator and a maniac, but unlike the ones in real life, he is lucid and, even if he's not "right," he's doing things for reasons... perhaps even reasons that are good. Doom may, possibly, err-- but he does not err out of insecurity of ego.

By this reasoning, Doom shooting the first person to stop clapping would be pointless. He would sow dissent against his regime for shooting Aunt Petunia because she got tired; it is not inconceivable that in killing an aunt, he might create his true and greatest enemy. If nothing else, he would give Richards an angle for approach... increase his surveillance budget... no!

Doom would shoot the last man to stop clapping - later, and discreetly. For it's that man who's attempting to prove something to Doom... and one who has something to prove also has something to hide.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

VanSandman posted:

Alternate Universe Doom.
What? It's the Official Marvel Explanation for a Character You Like Doing Things You Don't Like.

That's Dan Slott's explanation, and I'll be damned if I buy anything Slott's selling ever again.

Nessus posted:

Ah, but he did it for a reason, a motive. That's what defines Doom, I think; he is a dictator and a maniac, but unlike the ones in real life, he is lucid and, even if he's not "right," he's doing things for reasons... perhaps even reasons that are good. Doom may, possibly, err-- but he does not err out of insecurity of ego.

By this reasoning, Doom shooting the first person to stop clapping would be pointless. He would sow dissent against his regime for shooting Aunt Petunia because she got tired; it is not inconceivable that in killing an aunt, he might create his true and greatest enemy. If nothing else, he would give Richards an angle for approach... increase his surveillance budget... no!

Doom would shoot the last man to stop clapping - later, and discreetly. For it's that man who's attempting to prove something to Doom... and one who has something to prove also has something to hide.

Well played.

Fraction did reveal a super creepy ulterior motive for Doom's relationship with Valeria, but of course Hickman ignored it like he ignores most things that don't fit his ideas. Not that Fraction's treatment of Doom is particularly worth keeping canon.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

wiegieman posted:

Latverians must all be really angry about where their tax dollars go.

It's us. We're the Latverians.

~meta~

VanSandman posted:

I prefer benevolent megalomaniacal uncle Doom who occasionally tries to take over the world because RICHARDS! than murderous dictator Doom.

In Marvel Universe vs. The Avengers you've got the best of both worlds. Doom figures out a way to turn everyone back to normal from being homicidal cannibals, you just have to wear these giant gaudy Alchemy + :science: jewels around your neck, forever...and let Doom eat whomever he wants/likes. The second point is *non-negotiable*. Hawkeye caught him as he was about to dig into Mystique...literally.

Source: Marvel Universe vs. The Avengers #3 (I think)

BEHOLD THE APPLE IN THE MUTANT'S MOUTH, BOWMAN, FOR EVEN CANNIBAL DOOM IS RENOWNED THE WORLD OVER FOR HIS SENSE OF HUMOR!

But...*I* did that for *you*, your Doominess! :smith:

SILENCE, SCAB WITH LIPS! :doom:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Dec 5, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ghostlight posted:

[Fantastic Four #17]

If you want to be supreme overlord of the Earth, you need to work your way up from Secretary of Agriculture.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Lurdiak posted:

Fraction did reveal a super creepy ulterior motive for Doom's relationship with Valeria, but of course Hickman ignored it like he ignores most things that don't fit his ideas. Not that Fraction's treatment of Doom is particularly worth keeping canon.

To be fair, Fraction's run was after Hickman's, so it was easy for him to ignore...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Uthor posted:

To be fair, Fraction's run was after Hickman's, so it was easy for him to ignore...

Hickman is still writing Doom in Avengers, is he not?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Lurdiak posted:

Hickman is still writing Doom in Avengers, is he not?

Oh, I don't know. Thought you were talking about F4.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

[Fantastic Four #17]

Postmaster General Doom!

Lurdiak posted:

I think both are valid interpretations of the character. You just have to pick one and stick with it for your story.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

I think both are valid interpretations of the character. You just have to pick one and stick with it for your story.

Yes, but if there is a way to criticize Hickman, Lurdiak will find it.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

There's too much opportunity in Doom to limit him to one defined personality, same as the Joker. Both are poorly defined forces of nature which is why they are so magnetic.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Magnetism is a very well defined force of nature, Chinaman 7000.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

He's loving uncle Doom to Richards' daughter. Being a better father to her is the greatest gently caress you Richards. Not to mention he's the reason she's alive and he already holds that over Reed.

If you can't see loving uncle Doom as genuine then at the very least taking care of Valerie can be seen as keeping up with an investment.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

Yes, but if there is a way to criticize Hickman, Lurdiak will find it.

Hey, I've passed up many opportunities to comment on his hygiene.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If you can't see loving uncle Doom as genuine then at the very least taking care of Valerie can be seen as keeping up with an investment.

Oh, definitely. It's just kind of a situation where it feels like the other shoe's going to drop someday.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Also y'all are constantly bickering about editorial interference, but when a writer doesn't 100% pay respects to a plot point another writer came up with one or more decades ago because he has his own interpretation of that character, holy poo poo what a loving hack!

The "Magneto can never ever be seen as anything but mutant Hitler" argument is equally lovely.

Edit:

Heeeeyyy funny panels

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 5, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Also y'all are constantly bickering about editorial interference, but when a writer doesn't 100% pay respects to a plot point another writer came up with one or more decades ago because he has his own interpretation of that character, holy poo poo what a loving hack!

I didn't say he was a hack! I just said I didn't buy it. Kind of like how I don't buy amnesiac taskmaster. I say plenty of terrible hyperbolic things all the time, there's no need to put some in my mouth.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I didn't say he was a hack! I just said I didn't buy it. Kind of like how I don't buy amnesiac taskmaster. I say plenty of terrible hyperbolic things all the time, there's no need to put some in my mouth.

I remember a lot of people being angry over Doom skinning Valeria (the girlfriend, not the kid) because it didn't fit his then recent characterization...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Characterization is like a ship, you have to steer it slow and steady, or else you can capsize into angry internet comments.

I did think Mark Waid claiming Doom would "eat a baby" if it somehow proved he was smarter than Reed to be pushing things a bit.

E: Sorry about derailing the funny panels thread again, Waterhaul.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 5, 2014

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lurdiak posted:

Characterization is like a ship, you have to steer it slow and steady, or else you can capsize into angry internet comments.

I did think Mark Waid claiming Doom would "eat a baby" if it somehow proved he was smarter than Reed to be pushing things a bit.

You'd need some quality story build-up to that point, but it could happen. It shouldn't be a spur-of-the-moment thing.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

What is that from?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Senor Candle posted:

What is that from?

:10bux: says it's from the Death of Jean DeWolff. I should go find a trade compilation and read it again; I remember it being pretty great stuff.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Senor Candle posted:

What is that from?

Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man #107 – #110

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah, that's it. It's a drat good Spider-man story. The trade I have has a pretty great foreword from Peter David talking about how mad he was at the guy who killed Gwen Stacy when he was younger, and how he promised himself he'd never kill a beloved side character like that. :ironicat:

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Doesn't look like they have those up on Comixology unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
Ewing and his artists are clearly having too much fun doing this:

(Loki: Agent of Asgard 2, 4, 7 and 8, Original Sin 5.1 and 5.3)

• Locked thread