Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Lottery of Babylon posted:

The post I was replying to was about the version that gives you five times as much mana. I agree that the actual card is just too slow.

Ah well that card could have a use in some strange RUG commander deck with Veldalken Orrery and Alchemist's refuge. Its still a bad card, but thats the only place I can see it working. But yeah, if its cumulative upkeep is gain 5 mana, that makes it playable in weird EDH builds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Madmarker posted:

If someone was playing a cube of horrible cards and I had to choose between drafting a braid of fire or a chimney imp, I take the chimney imp every time.

Braid of Fire + Comet Storm does outrace storm crow if you draw more than 2 lands though.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Entropic posted:

Braid of Fire + Comet Storm does outrace storm crow if you draw more than 2 lands though.

I now really want to build a Cube of horrible cards to play people with. It would be wonderful. Hmm, Do I first pick the Squire or the Wit's End....hmmm

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Madmarker posted:

I now really want to build a Cube of horrible cards to play people with. It would be wonderful. Hmm, Do I first pick the Squire or the Wit's End....hmmm

Sounds like a Reject Rare Draft

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Madmarker posted:

It's actually really boring the third or fourth time. Heck, just try drafting one of those cubes where the guy just jams every middling to good card in it til its a 1500 card cube, and even that gets really frustrating fast.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Kids these days. Wouldn't know a bad card if it bit them in the rear end. I remember when a red bear with downside was the most fearsome creature available. I remember when Phrexian War Beast and Lodestone Bauble won the World Championship. You kids don't know poo poo. Squire and Wit's End? They'd be top picks in a draft with Fasting and Wood Elemental.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Reject Rare Draft is more fun to talk about than to actually draft, and more fun to draft than to actually play out.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Entropic posted:

Reject Rare Draft is more fun to talk about than to actually draft, and more fun to draft than to actually play out.
This right here. I did one of those and it was the most boring thing because you end up spending 4+ turns trading "draw, land, go".

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Haha did you know SCG has a naughty and nice player database? Several of my friends are qualified to the invi and got markedly different invite emails:

You can come if you want, but follow the rules remember all the other poo poo you could be doing that weekend instead!

vs

Congrats please play in the side events too

:lol:

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Haha did you know SCG has a naughty and nice player database? Several of my friends are qualified to the invi and got markedly different invite emails:

You can come if you want, but follow the rules remember all the other poo poo you could be doing that weekend instead!

:lol:

Haha what did the first guy do to get on SCG's shitlist?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
That certainly makes me feel better about playing in SCG events.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

First Bass posted:

Haha what did the first guy do to get on SCG's shitlist?

I have no idea. All my friends but one got that version, and easily half of us are pretty reasonable.

I can imagine Bertoncini get that form email every 3 months like clockwork in between the bannings and rolling his eyes.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Anyone like dumb Magic-related videos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nuoJ2Dy5ew

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Look at this sweet deck I just drafted

Edit: And I got promptly crushed by a Mono Black Control deck that drew literally exactly perfectly. Oh well, no sense in complaining.

shades of blue fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 5, 2014

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Toshimo posted:

It could have Cumulative Upkeep: Add RRRRR to your mana pool and it still wouldn't be good.

Says a guy who has never played with Sphinx's Revelation.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SET5gGC128M

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
Thanks for the advice on avoiding the intro packs. Check out what I got out of one of the boosters I picked up. I guess it's time to head over to the trading thread!

Edit: I really like the inclusion of token cards. I wish it were every pack, but better than nothing.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I have no idea. All my friends but one got that version, and easily half of us are pretty reasonable.

I can imagine Bertoncini get that form email every 3 months like clockwork in between the bannings and rolling his eyes.

You're one of the orange shirt crew, right? I have a suspicion that we've met before.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
NumotTheNummy is currently on a Cube deck where he got a Hallowed Spiritkeeper, Recurring Nightmare, Wurmcoil Engine machine running. Gross.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Boco_T posted:

NumotTheNummy is currently on a Cube deck where he got a Hallowed Spiritkeeper, Recurring Nightmare, Wurmcoil Engine machine running. Gross.

I played someone who got the Recurring Nightmare, Solemn Simulacrum, Avalanche Riders loop going.

In other good news, I used my New Player points to play a free draft and got a Sorin in those 5 card packs they give out. Thank you for paying me to play Wizards.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Cactrot posted:

You're one of the orange shirt crew, right? I have a suspicion that we've met before.

Yes! Team legends tech. Here's our new tumblr project that I am inordinately proud of.

We are boisterous and irreverent but very chill. We vary form a few beep boop autismal types to PT level players mostly normal in the middle though. Msg me if you ever want to cube some time and come say hi at the invi. I'm probably gonna be there on Sunday. We're generally at Monday legacy at CK and limited FNM at Green Lake Games. I couldn't imagine playing the game without them. You have to be ok with bright orange though that's a rule.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yes! Team legends tech. Here's our new tumblr project that I am inordinately proud of.

We are boisterous and irreverent but very chill. We vary form a few beep boop autismal types to PT level players mostly normal in the middle though. Msg me if you ever want to cube some time and come say hi at the invi. I'm probably gonna be there on Sunday. We're generally at Monday legacy at CK and limited FNM at Green Lake Games. I couldn't imagine playing the game without them. You have to be ok with bright orange though that's a rule.

I'm usually at card kingdom on Fridays with the occasional Monday at Greenlake, if you've seen a guy with a (depending on who you ask) super dumb/dope mustache, that's me scrubbing out and drinking.

I'll be doing standard in Portland this weekend and next in Tacoma, but I can't afford legacy so unless I make day two in Tacoma we'll probably miss each other.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Entropic posted:

Braid of Fire was a weird parasitic gimmick card that was basically just designed to be a way to pay for the cumulative upkeeps on other cards.
As a newbie, I thought it was over-powered because I thought mana emptied only at the end of the turn.

I'm wondering what a braid of fire that activated during a useful part of the turn would be like. One that popped in the first or second main phases would definitely be abusable.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Veyrall posted:

As a newbie, I thought it was over-powered because I thought mana emptied only at the end of the turn.

I'm wondering what a braid of fire that activated during a useful part of the turn would be like. One that popped in the first or second main phases would definitely be abusable.

If worked on your main phase, it would have been busted in any standard with fireball, but it'd still be too slow for legacy and modern I think.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Cactrot posted:

I'm usually at card kingdom on Fridays with the occasional Monday at Greenlake, if you've seen a guy with a (depending on who you ask) super dumb/dope mustache, that's me scrubbing out and drinking.

I'll be doing standard in Portland this weekend and next in Tacoma, but I can't afford legacy so unless I make day two in Tacoma we'll probably miss each other.

There's a standard at Card Exchange on Saturday, that's a PPTQ ... I am hitting that, since everyone's going to Portland. :P

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Cactrot posted:

If worked on your main phase, it would have been busted in any standard with fireball, but it'd still be too slow for legacy and modern I think.

It changes the dynamic, suddenly it becomes a ramp spell that makes sure you're always hitting a land drop no matter what, but only if you're playing things at sorcery speed. Tapout control would love that Braid of Fire, especially with an X2U draw spell or XR multiple-target fireball.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Cactrot posted:

You could, however, make a version that doesn't trigger automatically, but instead triggers from sacrificing a land or a creature. Something like this:

CARDNAME (Cost)
Enchantment
Sacrifice a land: Put a cool counter on ~, then add an amount of red mana to your mana pool equal to the number of cool counters on ~. Activate this ability only once each turn and only during your first or second main phase.

Or, make it black, have it sac creatures and make black mana instead.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

En Fuego posted:

There's a standard at Card Exchange on Saturday, that's a PPTQ ... I am hitting that, since everyone's going to Portland. :P

I'd be at card exchange more often if they had a bar...

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Dr. Poz posted:

Thanks for the advice on avoiding the intro packs. Check out what I got out of one of the boosters I picked up. I guess it's time to head over to the trading thread!

Edit: I really like the inclusion of token cards. I wish it were every pack, but better than nothing.

What do you want for that?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Some BTS poo poo brewing among the World Championship players.

From Paulo's article on CF about his Worlds experience:

quote:

We went to two dealers and bought some cards from each, and were ready to leave when Tom Martell spots one of the dealers we had just bought cards from talking to Jeremy Dezani. Apparently, said person was reading to Dezani from a list that included every card we had bought, as well as cards that previous Worlds competitors (e.g. Sam Black) had bought earlier in the day.

Once we realized what was happening, we were furious. In a field of only 24 players where everyone is pretty good, there are very few edges to be gained. To have information of what cards other teams of competitors are playing is an insane advantage, because each team is such a large portion of the field. The way I see it, there is an implied agreement between players and dealers, especially for an event of this magnitude—if I'm buying something from you at an event, you're not going to go around telling everyone. You're especially not going to premeditate having a list of everything I buy, so then you can tell my direct competitor and his team just because of national pride.

We felt like it was a breach of our trust and, though not necessarily illegal, highly frowned upon. We expressed our concern to the TO and to Wizards officials that this was not OK, and they said they would investigate. We decided it would be fair to tell the other Worlds competitors that Dezani knew what they were playing, which prompted the same reaction from basically everyone we talked to. Chapin, in particular, seemed especially livid considering he had placed a big online order with the same store.

My personal opinion is that what happened was strongly against the spirit of this competition. When confronted about it, Dezani denied having any knowledge of any cards whatsoever. Later on, his story was adapted to, “I was told of a couple cards, but I never asked for this information, the dealer just started telling me randomly, and after he listed some of the cards Shahar and Martell had bought he was told to stop because this wasn't OK.” For our part, we never saw a third person and we never heard anyone telling the dealer to stop listing cards, and we also listened to him getting a list of cards Sam Black had bought. In the end, there was nothing we could do about that particular thing, so we had to just let it go. We can only hope this particular behavior is not repeated for next Worlds Championship (and for any tournament, really, though Worlds being only 24 players really magnifies the issue).

So I know a bunch of players get really annoyed with Dezani's slow play, but is he just an overall scummy dude?

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

qbert posted:

Some BTS poo poo brewing among the World Championship players.

From Paulo's article on CF about his Worlds experience:

So I know a bunch of players get really annoyed with Dezani's slow play, but is he just an overall scummy dude?

I really liked Paulo's article; I would recommend reading it for anyone interested as the insiders look-in was really interesting.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Cactrot posted:

Let me tell you about a card named Black Market

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Frogs always tryin' to get one over on a classy, upstanding American like PVDDR.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Dr. Stab posted:

Let me tell you about a card named Black Market

And its good friend Altar of Shadows.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
World Cup has just started. Russian player looks literally 9 years old.

Edit: ah, it's actually a girl.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

rnoxen posted this on tumblr just now. I like it. :3:

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

qbert posted:

Pardee claims that after he beat Dezani at Valencia, he responded by throwing his deck against the wall and swearing at Pardee in French.

Sore loser-ism aside, isn't this kind of the same argument as people complaining that intentional draws shouldn't be allowed at the Player's Championship? That there's some kind of gentleman's agreement to not game the system by drawing into top 4, scouting decks, etc.? I have to agree with Ari Lax's mentality, if Wizards wants to discourage this behaviour they should make actual rules about it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Pardee claims that after he beat Dezani at Valencia, he responded by throwing his deck against the wall and swearing at Pardee in French.

Sore loser-ism aside, isn't this kind of the same argument as people complaining that intentional draws shouldn't be allowed at the Player's Championship? That there's some kind of gentleman's agreement to not game the system by drawing into top 4, scouting decks, etc.? I have to agree with Ari Lax's mentality, if Wizards wants to discourage this behaviour they should make actual rules about it.

671a. Players will be orderly, respectful, and treat others as they would like to be treated.

671b. And stop bitching about the reserved list, for gently caress sake.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

671a. Players will be orderly, respectful, and treat others as they would like to be treated.

In regards to rule 671a, what if a player has a submissive fetish and like to be treated like poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

Re: 671.1
What if my opponent is playing [insert deck/archetype/color combination/format I don't like]?

Re: 671.2
But if they abolish the Reserved List, how will I pay for my kids' college? Look at all the value these Farmsteads have!

• Locked thread