Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Bear Enthusiast posted:

So is that implant completely redundant? Any thoughts? An easy fix is to just take away the ability to record XP from the Basic Mesh Inserts or just remove Mnemonic Augmentation, but I'm not sure which to go with. Recording XP seems like it would be an interesting thing for a character to have to invest in, albeit something like 250 credits isn't much of an investment.

Maybe stock mesh inserts have to be set to record, whereas Mnemonic Augmentation is recording everything you experience 24/7?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Or it's the difference between a phone camera and a dedicated handheld camera. Mnemonic Augmentation has a higher fidelity/resolution, produces "footage" in a format that's designed to be edited professionally, has dedicated memory banks and can interface with leading XP editing software natively/has futuro-dropbox plugins/etc.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
The gist is more that mnemonic enhancement is the hardware version of mnemonic memory. You can instantaneously recall any experience. While an ordinary person might be able to remember everything, for complete recollection or some more minute event it's more like going through a library of film archive than just a YouTube search where BAM it's right there for you in the moment.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
The difference is that mnemonic augmentation (which is a standard feature in a cyberbrain, btw) records EVERYTHING you experience, even if you don't actually focus on something. XP playback from someone with plain mesh inserts would just give you what the other person did and experienced - that is, if they looked at a book page, you'd only see clearly what the other person actually read and focused on, or in effect it'd be like you read what they read - if they just skimmed the page quickly, you'd have no way of telling what was on the rest of it. Mnemonic augmentation, meanwhile, is 100% high-fidelity recording - basically, using the same example, a person with mnemonic augmentation could just quickly flip through the book and as long as they were in a good angle to see everything, you could pause and rewind and magnify the text to read through the whole thing.

Or I'll put it this way: Regular XP payblack is like sitting in a movie, except the 'camera' is another person. You see what they saw, smelled what they smelled, and so on. XP playback from someone with mnemonic augmentation is like one of those fancy-schmancy panoramic cut things where you could, for example, just turn around and see what was going behind the camera while the movie was still playing. (Only limited by the actual senses of whoever was doing the recording - this is one of those things that makes 360 degree vision so handy)

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

I think it's like having to hit the 'record' button on your DVR vs recording live TV all the time.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Mnemonic augmentation is a standard feature for synth and pod morphs, so I would imagine it contains a lot of extra diagnostic/technical data, especially in regards to how the morph operates. It probably records movements, usage of implants, and so forth. If worker pod #13979 malfunctions, you would look at the XP to figure out where and how he bugged out. Did he move his arms too high or lift too heavy a load? Was he trapped in the room that irradiates robots? You get the idea. So I think of it more like a playback of a Starcraft game than a standard video file.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

clockworkjoe posted:

Mnemonic augmentation is a standard feature for synth and pod morphs, so I would imagine it contains a lot of extra diagnostic/technical data, especially in regards to how the morph operates. It probably records movements, usage of implants, and so forth. If worker pod #13979 malfunctions, you would look at the XP to figure out where and how he bugged out. Did he move his arms too high or lift too heavy a load? Was he trapped in the room that irradiates robots? You get the idea. So I think of it more like a playback of a Starcraft game than a standard video file.

Mnemonic Augmentation is standard feature for pods and synths because these all have cyberbrains, and cyberbrains store memories digitally, which is equivalent to having a Mnemonic Augmentation. It probably shouldn't imply any other function (though, since it records all the memories, you should be able to do what you describe).

As for the difference between Mnemonic Augmentation and Mesh Inserts XP recording, the only real difference is that the Mnemonic Aug specifically notes what you can do with XP (which really should have been in the rules for XP...) and that it takes 2-20 minutes to retrieve a specific piece of information with it. It is unclear whether these rules apply using XP with Mesh Inserts. This gives two options:
  • The Mnemonic Augmentation is designed specifically to allow this kind of search and indexing, making it an invaluable hardware tool sorting through your own sensory input and analysing it with software. Mesh Inserts, being more of an ordinary smartphone, is not suited for this kind of task. While you can all but effortlessly use the Mnemonic Augmentation to find and analyse the memory you're looking for, scanning XP through Mesh Inserts requires more effort akin to normal data trawling (i.e. roll Research).
  • What it says under Mnemonic Augmentation also applies to Mesh Inserts, and Mnemonic Augmentation is all but pointless.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone

LatwPIAT posted:

Mnemonic Augmentation is standard feature for pods and synths because these all have cyberbrains, and cyberbrains store memories digitally, which is equivalent to having a Mnemonic Augmentation. It probably shouldn't imply any other function (though, since it records all the memories, you should be able to do what you describe).

As for the difference between Mnemonic Augmentation and Mesh Inserts XP recording, the only real difference is that the Mnemonic Aug specifically notes what you can do with XP (which really should have been in the rules for XP...) and that it takes 2-20 minutes to retrieve a specific piece of information with it. It is unclear whether these rules apply using XP with Mesh Inserts. This gives two options:
  • The Mnemonic Augmentation is designed specifically to allow this kind of search and indexing, making it an invaluable hardware tool sorting through your own sensory input and analyzing it with software. Mesh Inserts, being more of an ordinary smartphone, is not suited for this kind of task. While you can all but effortlessly use the Mnemonic Augmentation to find and analyse the memory you're looking for, scanning XP through Mesh Inserts requires more effort akin to normal data trawling (i.e. roll Research).
  • What it says under Mnemonic Augmentation also applies to Mesh Inserts, and Mnemonic Augmentation is all but pointless.

I really like that first option, it goes along well with this other snippet I found about memory in general. Basically normal people roll COGx3 to memorize/remember something, while those with Mnemonic Augmentation or Eidetic Memory don't.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I've been kicking this idea around for a few days, I'll probably never get to use it, and it fits well in EP with its occasional focus on brain problems. Could be a strain of exsurgent virus or just some brain damage.

Those afflicted cannot see anything "incomplete". What this means could vary, but as I envision it their homes would be littered with half-eaten meals, a morph missing an arm would be entirely invisible to them, they might attempt to walk through a physically-broken door as if it weren't there, etc.

The exsurgent option arises if the virus tells the afflicted to break everything they see. Picture large numbers of rioters, smashing everything in sight before moving on like locusts. They'd tend to leave behind wounded rather than corpses, tying up medical services. If the afflicted are in a pressurized habitat, hull breaches could be commonplace.

contagonist
Jul 21, 2014

You shouldn't be doing anything with fluorine.

Dareon posted:

I've been kicking this idea around for a few days, I'll probably never get to use it, and it fits well in EP with its occasional focus on brain problems. Could be a strain of exsurgent virus or just some brain damage.

Those afflicted cannot see anything "incomplete". What this means could vary, but as I envision it their homes would be littered with half-eaten meals, a morph missing an arm would be entirely invisible to them, they might attempt to walk through a physically-broken door as if it weren't there, etc.

The exsurgent option arises if the virus tells the afflicted to break everything they see. Picture large numbers of rioters, smashing everything in sight before moving on like locusts. They'd tend to leave behind wounded rather than corpses, tying up medical services. If the afflicted are in a pressurized habitat, hull breaches could be commonplace.

It would have to be an incredibly sophisticated strain of the exsurgent virus, as not only would it require the brain but it would rewire the mind - a person would first have to recognize an object, and then recognize it as broken on almost a Platonic level.

It's also completely unintelligible how and why it would come about - I'm hesitant to say 'go with it' but it seems like a perfectly strange strain.

Metaconcert
Nov 28, 2010

"And my answer is when there are nine"

contagonist posted:

It would have to be an incredibly sophisticated strain of the exsurgent virus, as not only would it require the brain but it would rewire the mind - a person would first have to recognize an object, and then recognize it as broken on almost a Platonic level.

To be fair, EP already has Grok, so it might be closer than it looks. If we assume that strains emerge due to some sort of agency (perhaps not a conscious one, if you want to get a little Watts about it), then this could be a trial of... what, serious mental illness as societal tool?

It could fit well with playing up all the weirdness of Exsurgence with respect to tech that's already in the setting, I think. And I really like the Virus feeling somehow memetically-directed, because that couples with the whole survival of transhumanity question.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
If things started disappearing for me all of a sudden and I had ever logged into a Simulspace then I would probably start freaking out that I had been brainjacked onto a buggy server

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

contagonist posted:

It's also completely unintelligible how and why it would come about - I'm hesitant to say 'go with it' but it seems like a perfectly strange strain.

Without getting too spergy, incompleted tasks and actions would be easily explained through a premature dopamine release (or maybe not at all) that convinces the afflicted they've completed said task. This is supposedly an actual thing that happens and short-circuits of the dopamine reward system has lead to people having abandoning tasks frequently.

Grim posted:

If things started disappearing for me all of a sudden and I had ever logged into a Simulspace then I would probably start freaking out that I had been brainjacked onto a buggy server

Nah, what's being described is that incompleted things don't register as incomplete. It's like if you look at glass of water and someone asked if it was half-full or half-empty, you'd see it as completely empty.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 7, 2014

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

contagonist posted:

Not that unreasonable for the setting; the exsurgent virus and TITANS largely serve as the wizard that did it already.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Plus there's the Vittrad strain mentioned in Rimward, which makes the target see "the effects of entropy on the transhuman body in magnified and horrific detail". (Titanian authorities found out about an infectee after he killed several people for their apparent deformities.)

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Hello Eclipse Phasers I have an incredibly important question, can martians go mudding

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Mars is too cold/dry for mudding, so no. :v:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

clockworkjoe posted:

Gonna resurrect/resleeve this thread: Fate rules for EP are now out for playtesting - http://eclipsephase.com/readme-ep-transhuman-fate-playtest-forum-guidelines

I've been looking through these rules recently. I like how they handled some aspects of the conversion, but I question if it veers a bit into being a tad more complex than it needs to be. Mind you, this is literally my first thoughts after skimming it and I'm not FATE expert, but I just got a feeling like that from reading through it. For example, I kind of question whether some of the skills added were really necessary though I do like their [field] system. As another example, I guess this might be the rules lite in me talking (yes, I know FATE isn't rules lite), but I wonder if having types and traits for morphs was the best way to handle it.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I've been reading the main rulebook and some of the sourcebooks, avoiding the GM only sections out of some forlorn hope that when I move for my next job I will find a group who will play. My question is, do the books ever go into any kind of detail on the Factors? I don't want to know anything about them really, just curious if a GM would know or if they would have to make it up as they go.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Martello posted:

I've been reading the main rulebook and some of the sourcebooks, avoiding the GM only sections out of some forlorn hope that when I move for my next job I will find a group who will play. My question is, do the books ever go into any kind of detail on the Factors? I don't want to know anything about them really, just curious if a GM would know or if they would have to make it up as they go.

Aside from what's in the main book, not really. They're mentioned a few times in various source books, but there's no focused writeup.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
The GM section does go into a little more detail on the Factors, mainly their biology and psychology, some motivations. Like the TITANs they've left plenty of room to do your own thing with them.

WordMercenary
Jan 14, 2013

Covok posted:

I've been looking through these rules recently. I like how they handled some aspects of the conversion, but I question if it veers a bit into being a tad more complex than it needs to be. Mind you, this is literally my first thoughts after skimming it and I'm not FATE expert, but I just got a feeling like that from reading through it. For example, I kind of question whether some of the skills added were really necessary though I do like their [field] system. As another example, I guess this might be the rules lite in me talking (yes, I know FATE isn't rules lite), but I wonder if having types and traits for morphs was the best way to handle it.

Yeah, my initial thought was that skill fields are unnecessarily complex, far better represented by aspects or stunts relating to a speciality.

Resleeving is super elegant though. I dig that.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

My players broke into a business in New Quebec on Titan. They were not terribly cautious and caused a firefight with some Tong while there. Then, bundled one of the 'dead' Tong into an Uber driven by an octomorph and got out of there.

How should the Titania police arrest them?

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Kommando posted:

My players broke into a business in New Quebec on Titan. They were not terribly cautious and caused a firefight with some Tong while there. Then, bundled one of the 'dead' Tong into an Uber driven by an octomorph and got out of there.

How should the Titania police arrest them?

The Titania police should do nothing, since Titania is a moon of Uranus. :smaug:

If the police of the Titanian Commonwealth is anything like the police of Scandinavia, by which I mean Norway, the response could be very mixed. One one hand, there might be an investigation tracking down your players, followed by ordinary police officers in body armour and Space-MP5's knocking on their doors and asking them firmly but politely to come to the police station. Or they could knock down the door with a battering ram, point guns at your players, and arrest them on suspicions of criminal activity. Or, if your players engaged in acts that could be confused for or considered terrorism, suddenly police counter-terrorist special forces backed up by army special forces consultants and SWAT make a coordinated move to apprehend without killing. It would depend a lot on what level of risk the police estimate; once they know guns are in the picture, the one thing they're not willing to do is walk in without full certainty they're not putting themselves at unnecessary risk. (Which may just mean grabbing people are Space-airports or when they go out to buy a pack of cigarettes or whatever people do in Communist Utopias.)

If your players are holed up in a small apartment, never leaving, and playing terrorist cell, they'll be treated like a terrorist cell and get a facefull of SWAT and/or police special forces. Their building will be surrounded by police in body armour with submachine guns, and police spec-ops will break down the door and demand immediate surrender. If they players are not really taking security precautions, just have large teams of police officers (of the "it is wholly unreasonable to assume you could take on all of these guys and kill more than, like, two before you're mandhandled to the ground and/or have your legs shot out under you"-size) arrest them one by one.

The real problem is probably from a game/narrative perspective is that if your players have been throwing around firepower heavier than "three rounds fired from an old revolver", the police response will be one of overwhelming force, making it difficult for your players to get away if they try to fight back. To their benefit, the police will probably not be trying to kill unless absolutely necessary; it'll be less-lethal weapons and shots to the legs as far as this is possible.

(Also, you shouldn't take advice from me because I am a spiteful sadist who has little qualms about having the police response be realistically difficult to overcome if players screw up and attract attention to themselves. (it's EP! Just restore them from some other backup and have them bust themselves out of Space-Jail, then struggle with their eroding humanity as they have to reconcile their selves having diverged))

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

The correct answer is the space-Uber is a sting operation to find people who use it, because Uber are capitalism's answer to petty supervillainy

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Thats remarkably close to what i had happen

The group split up the next morning, the player who was the hacker character admitted he had to quit the game for work reasons and so now i have an NPC to do things to. Megumi dressed herself in a fashionable green-grey translucent plastic skirtsuit and headed to 'work' at her new job, she inserted herself into the org chart the night before on their violent expedition.

The transporter character took a sub-orbital from Nyhaven as he had missed a few sessions near xmas, and the research ape went to meet him at the airport. The rich blogger/gun nut stayed home to watch their captured Tong and the ego-less body of a firewall agent they recovered.

Megumi got most of the way to 'work' by space-uber when a VTOL positioned itself above the car and demanded it halt, the compliant driver did so. She got out. 6 Tactical police decended on fastrope to surround the car aiming railSMGs at the accused.

What happened then, in the street was an instantanious trial. As Megumi was not a citizen, a state appointed defender was assigned to her, appearing as a vested neo-raven squawking in AR window telling Megumi, "Dont say anything, dont admit anything." A random Jury was assigned from the populous who were quickly brought up to speed on the charges, the evidence, the witnesses and the security logs, the CEO of the bodyworks she infiltrated was questioned, the public defender cross examined making the point she couldnt be trespassing if she was already an employee. The CEO said he told her it was a job interview, and she should come back tomorrow, defender questioned if this was entrapment, but a crime had already been committed, digital tresspass, etcetera. The Judge called the jury to deliberate, which they did for two minutes. Guilty. Of Digital Tresspass, Hacking with intent, physical tresspass and fleeing the scene of a crime. A police van rolled up.
The tactical squad briskly bundled her into the petal opening rear of the van and secured her to the seat, got in and drove off, leaving behind a stunned taxi driver and a single grey-green translucent plastic high heel shoe.

Megumi was the one who vouched for the research monkey when he was held up in customs for trying to enter Titan with a box of stacks in his possession rescued from their Think Before Asking adventure. They are a little worried that they will have an investagative line from her to them now, since they were the ones that shot up the Tong out the back of this Bodyworks before fleeing the scene.

The characters were notified of this, via muse, Megumi, and social media reporting. They intend to appeal.

They dug through the shot up Tongs pockets and got a keyfob of cryptokeys that unlocked the Tong safehouse they were watching. They wrecked the joint looking through everything and found their firewall buddy's stack.

bringing their charge back to life he told them of how he was found out, and that the Body works was deliberately lax on security so the Tong would be able to hit the soft target. In between stammers and obvious mental trauma at the hands of angry Tong he blurted out "Aleph, at the body shop"

Whats a bioterrorism group doing inside a body works leaking morphs to the St Cathrine Tong?

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Me and my group have run into a little problem with Stress-ful situations, specifically how much these situations should depend on the character and whether or not they are Hardened to a source of stress. I'll start with some examples:

One character is an ex-soldier and decided to take Hardened: Extreme Violence(Committed) at character creation. He also is sort of a dick and doesn't talk to/hang out with his fellow Sentinels whenever he can.
One character was(RIP) a professional assassin and did not take Hardened to any stressors.

I ruled that just shooting a guy in the case of being a Sentinel wasn't "Extreme Violence" but the fact that you've killed someone is still enough to trigger a Sanity check (having two if you brutally murder someone.). The assassin was a little confused why he had to roll Sanity to do his job but was fine with it, as he never really took enough Stress from murder for it to matter. No one else objected.

The arguments came up with the other character who eventually conceded having to roll for murdering people, but was upset when I decided that a member of the team being killed would be stressful, even if you weren't necessarily friendly with them. Especially because in this case it was a true death, backups erased completely and no hope of recovering the stack. (He's the same player that was upset that his characters would always be stressed by knowing they have to die, personally believing that if alpha forking were real he wouldn't care about dying since there's still 'him' in the world. Philosophically confusing to me, but I digress). I harkened this to deciding his character also wasn't afraid of any other stressor, like saying he didn't fear aliens or exsurgents or something and that he would need to take Hardened for his character to truly feel that way. He was mad but everyone else agreed with me so we ruled it that way unless he felt like arguing more not during the session.

Anybody have similar discussions with their group? It's my first time running EP and so far I'm definitely not giving out enough Stress I feel (no one has had any ill effects from Stress despite having many action packed adventures).

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Bear Enthusiast posted:

Me and my group have run into a little problem with Stress-ful situations...

With the complaints you're getting it sounds like you didn't communicate enough at chargen about what being un-hardened would entail and how often you'd be hammering the stress button. Although if you're only using the Stressful Experiences table on page 215, I don't think losing a fellow Firewall agent counts as anything there, especially if, as you said, it wasn't one they particularly liked. And if you're going to be making stressful experiences that aren't on the chart, it might have been helpful to outline those ahead of time and relay that to the group.

It sounds like that philosophical confusion you have regarding forking and identity may actually be key to this. Except in certain cases, death of a body is not death of an ego. It's a setback, monetarily and mentally, but, at least in my estimation, the populace at large has developed a sense that shooting someone in the face might not necessarily preclude from having to shoot them in the face again next week. Just killing someone is fine, but ripping their morph's arm off and beating them to death with it? That's a paddlin'. Hence why the table uses the terms "extreme" violence and "gruesome" murder scene.

Incidentally on the alpha fork thing, it is a functional immortality, but there is the whole issue of fork divergence. I (plural) would tend to display more self-preservation the longer I had gone between merging and re-forking. Like if I just came out from under the scanner, gently caress it, leeroy jenkins. Because, for me at least, the issue is not the survival of "me", it is the collection and retention of "my" knowledge. The same logic applies to backups, really. I would logically expect to take some stress if I had a significant amount of lack or heard of the destruction of a fork, because I now have no idea what happened between backup/forking and now.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Transhuman studios just dropped this on their G+ page.

:w00t:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Very excited for Firewall.

Is a Project: Osma book in the works?

The short film "Wanderers" would serve as a great visual introduction to Eclipse Phase for new players.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dwXqoaThGvA

It even features sports like flying in the atmosphere and base diving in low g.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 25, 2015

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Helical Nightmares posted:

Very excited for Firewall.

Is a Project: Osma book in the works?

The short film "Wanderers" would serve as a great visual introduction to Eclipse Phase for new players.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dwXqoaThGvA

It even features sports like flying in the atmosphere and base diving in low g.
The devs said Project Ozma will be featured in a book on x-threats.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I actually hope they don't flesh out Ozma very much. Or at least keep the solid details in a GM section, like they did with the Bracewell probes and TITANs.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Firewall talks about tradecraft/espionage in the setting. Caleb (The Devotees) and I both wrote for it. It also covers everything you should need to run a Firewall campaign proper.

Next book is about x-threats but I can't say anything else. It will be cool though.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Cool, so the new books will be out in a couple of days (electronically) and we can look at the Table of Contents in the meantime!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm loving those ongoing op names. FORCED RETIREMENT. GEHENNA FORTY. YELLOW KING.

e: Ahaha, notable operatives Ham, Nevermore, and Voight-Kampff.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Lost it at Branden DeGrass :350:. A lot of these ops look like they came through the XCOM RNG and it's beautiful.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

my mate told me he got a whole bunch of artwork in the Firewall book. :D

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The Meat Dimension posted:

Lost it at Branden DeGrass :350:. A lot of these ops look like they came through the XCOM RNG and it's beautiful.

Branden DeGrass on Operation: VAPOR DREAD.

I like the Ice-9 reference.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Young Freud posted:

Operation: VAPOR DREAD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Woah, it's out!

There's a PDF of Firewall, hack pack, and three tracks of music?

Page 186 table entry: The decapitated head of Elon Musk in a medical storage tank.

The Meat Dimension fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 3, 2015

• Locked thread